NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-29-2021, 06:47 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Doesn't ANYONE collect cards just to have them anymore? Does it have to be all about the money? Does anyone have cards they just like, not sealed up in a block of plastic with the almighty grade and bar code so they can sell their cards based on market strategy? That is no hobby, it is business. I am not that far gone, and I will never become a card speculator. I have enough retirement strategies (U.S. Navy, Florida Retirement System, Social Security). I don't need or want baseball cards to be a nest egg. I took some of my memorabilia and cards and put it into a safe deposit box, in case of theft or hurricane. But that's as far as I go, and I can get into my box whenever. I just collect as frankly I always did, just to have and be happy with, not to worry about how rich I am going to become selling my stuff off.
I collect for the love of the cards but since I have limited resources and I can’t afford everything I want I definitely have to focus on the money when buying or selling.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:09 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

I am a collector and enjoy collecting and sometimes flipping for something different or an upgrade

But sadly as the prices go up we have to watch our money more closely and be strategic on when and how to sell or flip to ensure the best for the collection and just hope it is the best for everyone to make it as close as possible to a win win.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-29-2021, 07:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Doesn't ANYONE collect cards just to have them anymore? Does it have to be all about the money? Does anyone have cards they just like, not sealed up in a block of plastic with the almighty grade and bar code so they can sell their cards based on market strategy? That is no hobby, it is business. I am not that far gone, and I will never become a card speculator. I have enough retirement strategies (U.S. Navy, Florida Retirement System, Social Security). I don't need or want baseball cards to be a nest egg. I took some of my memorabilia and cards and put it into a safe deposit box, in case of theft or hurricane. But that's as far as I go, and I can get into my box whenever. I just collect as frankly I always did, just to have and be happy with, not to worry about how rich I am going to become selling my stuff off.
When we don't have enough money then we need to subsidize our collections and flipping is fun. Not sure why the disdain for flippers? I love flippers and have bought tons of my cards from them. I collect first but do enjoy trying to make a buck flipping. I love the cards so why not? I guess I could go flip cars but they are so big.
This card was on the BST and a friend flipper saw it first and bought it. I paid him a few hundred dollars more for it. I was happy and he was happy. How can that be bad? I do enjoy collecting more but flipping is fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206matty.jpg (77.6 KB, 341 views)

Last edited by Leon; 11-29-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:45 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
When we don't have enough money then we need to subsidize our collections and flipping is fun. Not sure why the disdain for flippers? I love flippers and have bought tons of my cards from them. I collect first but do enjoy trying to make a buck flipping. I love the cards so why not? I guess I could go flip cars but they are so big.
This card was on the BST and a friend flipper saw it first and bought it. I paid him a few hundred dollars more for it. I was happy and he was. How can that be bad? I do enjoy collecting more but flipping is fun.
I understand and agree with everything you say. And you clearly are having fun, as evidenced by the many chestnuts you pull out and post. It would have to be for you to run this terrific forum along with your hobby.

BTW - I love that Mathewson!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-29-2021, 11:37 AM
A.J. Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This card was on the BST and a friend flipper saw it first and bought it. I paid him a few hundred dollars more for it. I was happy and he was. How can that be bad? I do enjoy collecting more but flipping is fun.
100% agree
*Proudest hobby accomplishment: finished the 1914 Cracker Jack set ranked #11 all-time
Old 11-29-2021, 12:31 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Flipping is 100% cool with me; I do it all the time. Just don't lie to another collector to get a deal. Have some respect for your fellow community members or you will quickly find yourself with a rep for being a jerk and on the outs with many potential deal participants.
Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
Is the immediate jewel of their souls:
Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
But he that filches from me my good name
Robs me of that which not enriches him
And makes me poor indeed.
--William Shakespeare, "Othello", Act 3 scene 3

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-29-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:43 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Like everything in life, it's about context.

Someone buys a card priced low or poorly listed on eBay or the BST, and flips it for a profit. No problem with this at all.

A 30 year old Gary Vee stan lines up at Wal-Mart in his flip flops 6 hours before they open to buy every blaster, creating an artificial shortage to drive prices up and not allow other people to get packs in the modern hobby without paying a huge markup to the folks essentially holding the supply hostage. He's allowed to do this, but it's a **** move.

A collector sees a card I have and emails me, asking if I can let it go to him. He's building the set, and it would mean more to him than it does to me. I pay it forward, let him have it at a buyer friendly place, doing a solid for a fellow collector I have a positive interaction with as many gentlemen have done for me over the years. 2 months later I see my former card on eBay with an INVEST emoji in the title. He's allowed to do this, but its a **** move.

If one behaves with honesty and a smidgeon of class, all will end well and little thought will need to be put into these things.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:20 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post

Someone buys a card priced low or poorly listed on eBay or the BST, and flips it for a profit. No problem with this at all.

A 30 year old Gary Vee stan lines up at Wal-Mart in his flip flops 6 hours before they open to buy every blaster, creating an artificial shortage to drive prices up and not allow other people to get packs in the modern hobby without paying a huge markup to the folks essentially holding the supply hostage. He's allowed to do this, but it's a **** move.

A collector sees a card I have and emails me, asking if I can let it go to him. He's building the set, and it would mean more to him than it does to me. I pay it forward, let him have it at a buyer friendly place, doing a solid for a fellow collector I have a positive interaction with as many gentlemen have done for me over the years. 2 months later I see my former card on eBay with an INVEST emoji in the title. He's allowed to do this, but its a **** move.

If one behaves with honesty and a smidgeon of class, all will end well and little thought will need to be put into these things.
That pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the topic. I have picked up several cards on here at very fair prices because posters see that I collect racing cards and PMed me. I have also tried to pay it forward, especially when it comes to obscure or hard to find racing cards, because it is such a small group of collectors on here passionate for that segment of the hobby.

I would be disappointed if I saw something I sold on here immediately listed for resale, but most of the posters I have bought and sold from on here are posters I have interacted with frequently on the board and in private messages discussing similar collecting interests.

Last edited by Bored5000; 11-30-2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:18 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post

This sums it up perfectly.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-01-2021, 10:14 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Some of the prices I see on here as of late make it hard to bite my tongue, but it’s easy enough to click the back button. I kind of understand the dreamers trying to treat each sale like a lottery ticket, as who doesn’t like to max their profit. What annoys me is when said seller keeps pumping that overpriced card with no budge and arrogance.

Maybe off topic, but a BST practice I can’t stand, when an original sales post is not updated to reflect sold status. We have certain sellers who will have multiple cards with prices on their original post. Yet, after scrolling down through multiple follow on posts, you start to find what’s been sold. I know this world has plenty of mouth breathers, but updating a post is simple enough. Sorry, carry on with the topic.