NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-04-2021, 09:30 PM

Default Athletes who won’t signs specific card

Was at a show today with Bob Stinson as a signer, friend brought a 1976 SSPC card and he refused to sign. Said it was a bootleg card he never got paid for. Googled and sure enough others have had the same experience including Keith Olbermann.

Any other instances of athletes refusing to sign a specific card for some reason?

Last edited by polakoff; 09-04-2021 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:58 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post
Was at a show today with Bob Stinson as a signer, friend brought a 1976 SSPC card and he refused to sign. Said it was a bootleg card he never got paid for. Googled and sure enough others have had the same experience including Keith Olbermann.

Any other instances of athletes refusing to sign a specific card for some reason?
Jayhawk Owens would only sign the back of his 1995 Score Rookie card because the picture on the front was Jim Tatum. But he at least signed it. Apparently he changed his stance after he got called up as a number of the Score cards can be found on ebay signed.

I got thousands of autographs over the years we had season tickets to the Sky Sox and never had a player refuse to sign a specific card. Some just would not sign, Brett Boone comes to mind, but players would always sign for me.

Last edited by butchie_t; 09-04-2021 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:46 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

David Wells used to have a thing about not signing cards of him in a Blue Jays uniform, don't know if he still does. From what I heard, he'll only sign them for his kids.
Old 09-05-2021, 03:57 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

1987 topps Ricky Wright
1985 donruss Al Nipper
1987 diamond kings roger clemens

1990 score b&w bo jackson

I have a 1952 Topps #391 Ben Chapman , which I believe pictures Sam Chapman. It Is back signed and i always thought it could have been due to the error.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 09-05-2021, 03:57 PM
David M.

I was at a signing featuring Don Sutton, and I offered him his rookie card to sign. He signed it, but as he did he said "I always hated this card!" (I guess because his ears stick out so prominently), as he signed right across his face. It was like he was intentionally defacing the card.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:09 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
I was at a signing featuring Don Sutton, and I offered him his rookie card to sign. He signed it, but as he did he said "I always hated this card!" (I guess because his ears stick out so prominently), as he signed right across his face. It was like he was intentionally defacing the card.
Hard to believe at one time, a signature on a card was considered "defacing" it, and lowered the cards value.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:29 PM
David M.

It was the vigorous way he signed directly across his face when there was plenty of room below his photo that upset me. It was the only copy of that card I had. I wish I had given him a 1974 Topps, or some other card I had multiple copies of.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:44 PM
James M.

Quote:
It was the vigorous way he signed directly across his face when there was plenty of room below his photo that upset me. It was the only copy of that card I had. I wish I had given him a 1974 Topps, or some other card I had multiple copies of.
Ah my misunderstanding, I understand why you would be so upset.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 09-05-2021, 05:03 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Hard to believe at one time, a signature on a card was considered "defacing" it, and lowered the cards value.
Quote:
I've noticed players seemed to be a lot less careful about where they signed before the hobby took off. I have a number of vintage signed cards where the signature is in a dark spot, or over the face or over text, but my more recent signed cards the player took the effort to find a spot it would show up well. I noticed that especially with Carl Yastrzemski's rookie, he is very reliable about signing on the red, white and blue ribbon. I was looking for one to send in to an upcoming autograph signing, and had a devil of a time finding one within my budget that didn't have a crease or a tear in that spot.

I've heard that Pete Runnells didn't like signing his 1953 Topps with Don Johnson pictured instead, but the one I have he signed without an issue.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:43 PM
Scott Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by polakoff View Post

Bingo.....Bob Montgomery from the 75 SSPC set.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75 SSPC Montgomery.jpg (76.0 KB, 1076 views)
Old 09-06-2021, 12:49 PM
Bob Andrews

In the early 90s the Orioles had a set of cards sponsored by Crown Petroleum as a stadium giveaway. Hank Foiles wouldn’t sign his card in that set and actually filed a lawsuit over the use of his likeness without compensation.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:29 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
David Wells used to have a thing about not signing cards of him in a Blue Jays uniform, don't know if he still does. From what I heard, he'll only sign them for his kids.
Other way around actually. He only signs Blue Jays cards and will not sign any other team for anyone but his kids.

Some others, I'm sure there's many more I'm forgetting:
1982 Fleer Steve Garvey
1990 Leaf Kelly Gruber
1995 UD Steve Rodriguez (signed one for his mom)
2004 Topps Total Jay Witasick (name spelled wrong on the front)
1987 Topps Traded Mike Dunne (though he signed them early on)

Last edited by dgo71; 09-06-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:45 PM

As someone pointed out Bo Jackson, he won’t sign the famous picture of him with his shirt off (appears on the Score card) because of a copyright issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2021, 06:03 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

1986 fleer Jordan

Not sure if he will.only.sign UD cards, but he wont sign the 86 fleer

Old 09-06-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Yo View Post
As someone pointed out Bo Jackson, he won’t sign the famous picture of him with his shirt off (appears on the Score card) because of a copyright issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There’s a bunch of stuff that Bo Jackson won’t sign, such as Bucs items or items signed by Cam Newton and Pat Sullivan. I don’t think he’ll sign Heisman items either.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:19 PM

Was there a time in the 1980s when certain players would not sign any Topps cards because of the affiliation with Garbage Pail Kids?
Old 09-07-2021, 11:51 AM

I'm really not a fan of these guys who choose not to sign a particular card because of some built in belief that in the future their family will be able to cash in. You're denying real-time collectors the satisfaction of completing their sets for no logical reason. If you're a fringe guy like Steve Rodriguez, who is really going to be chasing your 1995 UD card?

The 1987 Topps set is iconic so I guess there is some built-in desirability from Ricky Wright's perspective, but not really. Even with a huge iconic set like the 87 Topps set there are still only going to be a handful of people who care to have every card signed. Stop the nonsense already.

Last edited by packs; 09-07-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-07-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I'm really not a fan of these guys who choose not to sign a particular card because of some built in belief that in the future their family will be able to cash in. You're denying real-time collectors the satisfaction of completing their sets for no logical reason. If you're a fringe guy like Steve Rodriguez, who is really going to be chasing your 1995 UD card?

The 1987 Topps set is iconic so I guess there is some built-in desirability from Ricky Wright's perspective, but not really. Even with a huge iconic set like the 87 Topps set there are still only going to be a handful of people who care to have every card signed. Stop the nonsense already.
Honestly, in my opinion, that’s one way for someone like Ricky Wright to be more well known. A player lost to MLB history is more well known to some, in my opinion, for notoriously not signing his 1987 Topps than he would be if he just signed like many other former players do. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but some people are still talking about him for more than 30 years later. That’s one way to stand out.

Last edited by Topps206; 09-07-2021 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:00 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
If you're a fringe guy like Steve Rodriguez, who is really going to be chasing your 1995 UD card?
The way he explained it was he wanted to do something special for his mom and it wasn't intended to be a slight towards set collectors. I doubt it had anything to do with a perceived big payday down the road.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:04 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecoco View Post
Was there a time in the 1980s when certain players would not sign any Topps cards because of the affiliation with Garbage Pail Kids?
I seem to remember hearing Tom Herr did that, but that's definitely no longer the case with him. There may have been others, I believe it was mostly religious guys who took issue with the Garbage Pail Kids.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
Honestly, in my opinion, that’s one way for someone like Ricky Wright to be more well known. A player lost to MLB history is more well known to some, in my opinion, for notoriously not signing his 1987 Topps than he would be if he just signed like many other former players do. Maybe I’m reading too much into it, but some people are still talking about him for more than 40 years later. That’s one way to stand out.
True there is the infamy vs anonymity angle. I think a fair caveat for any of these guys would be if a collector can show them that they have every other card signed in the set but theirs, it should prove they aren't in it for the money and they should be rewarded with a signed card.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:31 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I believe Goose goslin wont sign his HOF plaque on the front. He thought it was a hideous rendition, or so the rumor goes

Old 09-07-2021, 05:32 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:

Why is 1987 Topps iconic? Just the number of big name stars included? I don't really like the wood border.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-07-2021, 08:30 PM
Brendan Mullen

1986 fleer Jordan

Not true. I had access to him for a couple years and he signed one for me.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:00 PM
Steven Finley

Like the OP stated, there are a handful of players who wouldn't/won't sign SSPC cards because they weren't compensated. I don't have a full list, but it's definitely a handful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
1986 fleer Jordan

Not true. I had access to him for a couple years and he signed one for me.
I think this belief stems from the rule that prevented attendees of his basketball fantasy camps from bringing Fleer cards as their item to get signed. Realistically for the longest time that was the best way to get a specific item signed. He doesn't do paid signings, he's not approachable in public, and anything he does sign under contract is UD related. I'd bet 90% of the non-rookie Fleer, Hopps, Topps etc signed cards I've seen date to his time with the Barons as that was the one time he was great with larger groups. Most of the signed RC's I see are more modern signatures probably garnered at golf tournaments, the MGM, or the Arena where small groups get access to him.

Here's some tough signed cards not mentioned yet to get from living signers. Sadly most aren't mine. I just track them as I see them.

Someone stated Steve Garvey won't sign his 1982 Fleer card. I've seen one I felt was authentic then a couple years ago someone picked up a raw example on eBay and was able to get it in a PSA/DNA holder. I didn't fell comfortable with the card though. At one time I was working on that set signed and knew I probably get the Garvey so I got creative. I eventually broke up that near set, but I kept my Frakengarvey.

+=

Then of course, there is the living legend himself....

Old 09-08-2021, 06:15 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Interesting thread and some interesting reasons why many players will not sign specific cards but will sign others

Great THread

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-08-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Like the OP stated, there are a handful of players who wouldn't/won't sign SSPC cards because they weren't compensated. I don't have a full list, but it's definitely a handful.

I think this belief stems from the rule that prevented attendees of his basketball fantasy camps from bringing Fleer cards as their item to get signed. Realistically for the longest time that was the best way to get a specific item signed. He doesn't do paid signings, he's not approachable in public, and anything he does sign under contract is UD related. I'd bet 90% of the non-rookie Fleer, Hopps, Topps etc signed cards I've seen date to his time with the Barons as that was the one time he was great with larger groups. Most of the signed RC's I see are more modern signatures probably garnered at golf tournaments, the MGM, or the Arena where small groups get access to him.

Here's some tough signed cards not mentioned yet to get from living signers. Sadly most aren't mine. I just track them as I see them.

Someone stated Steve Garvey won't sign his 1982 Fleer card. I've seen one I felt was authentic then a couple years ago someone picked up a raw example on eBay and was able to get it in a PSA/DNA holder. I didn't fell comfortable with the card though. At one time I was working on that set signed and knew I probably get the Garvey so I got creative. I eventually broke up that near set, but I kept my Frakengarvey.

+=

Then of course, there is the living legend himself....

I was able to get Leonard Garcia to sign the 1969 Rodriquez. I think they had an agreement though that they wouldn't sign it if the other already had.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
Why is 1987 Topps iconic? Just the number of big name stars included? I don't really like the wood border.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
I honestly don't know because I think the design is crappy too. But of all of the complete signed sets I've heard people go after it's one of the most popular.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:37 PM

I think there is one Ron Kittle won’t sign. Can’t remember which one. Overall good guy and signer.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:48 PM
J Stone

Quote:
I honestly don't know because I think the design is crappy too. But of all of the complete signed sets I've heard people go after it's one of the most popular.
I don't chase the set myself but I think one of the appeal points is that the set is heavy with portraits and close up shots. Whatever you think of the design they do look very nice with signatures on them. Plus it is dirt cheap to find unsigned cards, even stars.

Last edited by MooseDog; 09-08-2021 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 03:16 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

The photography is great and signatures generally show up well. That being said, the wood borders have always looked very dated to me. I didn't like them on the 1987 Topps, or in 1962, or when Bowman used them in 1955.
Old 09-08-2021, 04:12 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
I think there is one Ron Kittle won’t sign. Can’t remember which one. Overall good guy and signer.
1984 Topps, but he does sign the card with a charitable donation. I think it's $25.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:14 PM
Curt

Garvey was just added to past pros and the 82 Fleer is singled out. Being a long time Garvey collector, I am glad that this was the card he chose for this reason, because I am not a fan of it. I have a couple copies that I think could be legit and the one that sold on for big bucks and was certified was fake in my opinion. if the owner or person who got it signed knows differently, would love to hear that story.

I also heard about the Kittle 84 T directly from Ron through facebook. He does sign it for a $25 donation to Indiana Sports Charity. I needed one because it would have been a Topps ALL Rookie (Trophy) card, hard they done the trophies in 84.

I also was told by Dave Stewart that he wouldn't sign Rangers or Phillies cards. This was at a signing at a minor league ballpark before the game. He was actually very nice and apologetic about it. I figured it was because he didn't care for how he was treated by the team, but I didn't ask him exactly why he wouldn't. He willingly signed anything and everything else I had. However, I have seen signed cards from those teams for sale online, so maybe it was more recent thing?

Singing habits is a very interesting subject to me. Why some guys won't sign at all, why they exclude certain items, etc. The funniest part is, whether they intended for demand to grow or not, by refusing to sign something, they automatically create additional demand for it.

Last thought. I think I captured a photo of it, but can't find it now. Maybe I dreamt it up, but I doubt it. I am pretty sure that I saw an image of a card Gary Carter signed that would for sure be a 1/1, except that anyone could add an inscription later. When he must have known that the cancer would get him, he apparently signed a card for a friend that had his lifespan noted under the signature, showing the year of his death, like 1958-2001 (i don't know the actual years, but in this type of format)! How is that for dealing with what life dealt you in stride?
Old 09-11-2021, 05:50 PM
St.eve Sus.sman

Gary Pettis won't sign the '85 Topps that actually depicts his younger brother. But I guess the brother will sign it, and someone is offering it on eBay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210911-174715~01.jpg (13.3 KB, 785 views)
Old 09-12-2021, 10:21 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Last thought. I think I captured a photo of it, but can't find it now. Maybe I dreamt it up, but I doubt it. I am pretty sure that I saw an image of a card Gary Carter signed that would for sure be a 1/1, except that anyone could add an inscription later. When he must have known that the cancer would get him, he apparently signed a card for a friend that had his lifespan noted under the signature, showing the year of his death, like 1958-2001 (i don't know the actual years, but in this type of format)! How is that for dealing with what life dealt you in stride?
That's VERY unusual. I can't believe he did that. I think if I saw it I would immediately think it was fake, because I would think "How could he put a date of death?"

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 09-13-2021 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:08 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I guess it would depend on what kind of shape Carter was in at the end. He died in April of 2012, so if he was still lucid enough to sign, and realistic about his lifespan, then I could see it. It seems rather morbid for him though, based on what I've read about his personality.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:18 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Garvey was just added to past pros and the 82 Fleer is singled out. Being a long time Garvey collector, I am glad that this was the card he chose for this reason, because I am not a fan of it. I have a couple copies that I think could be legit and the one that sold on for big bucks and was certified was fake in my opinion. if the owner or person who got it signed knows differently, would love to hear that story.
If my memory is correct, it was sold raw on eBay for ~$50 and ended up in a PSA/DNA holder a month later.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:06 PM
Dave Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
I believe Goose goslin wont sign his HOF plaque on the front. He thought it was a hideous rendition, or so the rumor goes
Goose Goslin has been dead for 50 years. Did you mean Goose Gossage?
Too many Gooses on the looses to keep track of them all.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:58 PM

What is Garvey's rationale for not signing the 1982 Fleer card? He has been a gracious TTM signer for me and many others, albeit for a fee, but still a nice signature nonetheless.

Also, what's the story on Fritz Fisher/John Hiller on the 1966 Topps RC? Love hearing these stories!
Old 09-16-2021, 08:04 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Supposedly Garvey signed one for a charity event and that was it.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:05 PM
And.rew Whi.te

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
It was his 1984 Topps card. I had him as an autograph guest at a show I was promoting in the 90's and had to put in all the advertising that he was NOT signing the '84 Topps card.

Last edited by whitehse; 09-18-2021 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:16 PM

Thanks for the reminder about Kittle and 84 Topps.

I like the fact that there are certain issues guys won’t sign or will only sign for a premium. Adds complexity to the hobby and the thrill of the hunt.

I tend to agree that auto’ed 87 Topps are overrated (although I admit to collecting them). I prefer autos on 86 Topps and 87 Fleer which I’m sure puts me in the minority.

Last edited by sreader3; 09-20-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:46 PM

Dick Ellsworth will not sign his 1966 Topps card. The picture is of Ken Hubbs. He was killed in a plane crash in 1964. I have heard of the card being signed on the back but have never seen one.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:36 PM
Drew

I signed up just to respond to this. Even though it's six months old now.

Brandon Phillips, Keith Hernandez, Jeremy Guthrie, and Oddibe McDowell won't sign Indians items; or at least wouldn't for a long time. Hernandez will at shows and signings but charges extra. Guthrie would often sign but write in "Go O's!" or "Go Royals!" or whoever he was with at the time.
Tommy Gregg won't sign Braves items.
Greg Deichmann won't sign his 2018 Bowman Draft since it shows Kevin Merrill (Merrill will sign it, however)
Tim Bogar's 1993 Stadium Club card depicts Aaron Ledesma. Bogar will sign the back though.
Andy Hawkins stopped signing Fleer cards at some point. They can still be found somewhat easily though.
Scott Radinsky will not sign his Jewish Major Leaguers card because he is not Jewish. I want to get him on a Ten Foot Pole album.
Steve Busby will sign his 1975 Topps card (shows Fran Healy) but writes "NOT MY PICTURE" or something of the sort on it

Quote:
He had issues with a LOT of his early career cards and not liking his ears on them and would sign over his face on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecoco View Post
Glenn Davis.

Quote:
I also was told by Dave Stewart that he wouldn't sign Rangers or Phillies cards. This was at a signing at a minor league ballpark before the game. He was actually very nice and apologetic about it. I figured it was because he didn't care for how he was treated by the team, but I didn't ask him exactly why he wouldn't. He willingly signed anything and everything else I had. However, I have seen signed cards from those teams for sale online, so maybe it was more recent thing?
He did have a rather infamous arrest as a Ranger, and I heard he just didn't want to be reminded of that and his time with them.

I know of more hockey ones than baseball but given time I'm sure I could think of more to add to the list. I may eventually put a list on my site of cards players won't sign in every sport.

Last edited by DFWGrapher; 02-14-2022 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:56 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGrapher View Post
I signed up just to respond to this. Even though it's six months old now.

Brandon Phillips, Keith Hernandez, Jeremy Guthrie, and Oddibe McDowell won't sign Indians items; or at least wouldn't for a long time. Hernandez will at shows and signings but charges extra. Guthrie would often sign but write in "Go O's!" or "Go Royals!" or whoever he was with at the time.
Tommy Gregg won't sign Braves items.
Greg Deichmann won't sign his 2018 Bowman Draft since it shows Kevin Merrill (Merrill will sign it, however)
Tim Bogar's 1993 Stadium Club card depicts Aaron Ledesma. Bogar will sign the back though.
Andy Hawkins stopped signing Fleer cards at some point. They can still be found somewhat easily though.
Scott Radinsky will not sign his Jewish Major Leaguers card because he is not Jewish. I want to get him on a Ten Foot Pole album.
Steve Busby will sign his 1975 Topps card (shows Fran Healy) but writes "NOT MY PICTURE" or something of the sort on it

He had issues with a LOT of his early career cards and not liking his ears on them and would sign over his face on them.

Glenn Davis.

He did have a rather infamous arrest as a Ranger, and I heard he just didn't want to be reminded of that and his time with them.

I know of more hockey ones than baseball but given time I'm sure I could think of more to add to the list. I may eventually put a list on my site of cards players won't sign in every sport.

First post, absolutely love it! Welcome and thanks for the great info!! I'd love to see the other sports as well.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:09 AM

Rich Reese won't sign the 1965 Topps because they put Dick Reese.
Lew Krausse would sign his 1965 Topps card even though it was Pete Lovrich pictured. Was fortunate to have had both of them sign the front.
Tried to get Floyd Bannister to sign the 1985 Donruss error card and he kept it.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:52 AM
Michael

Since I have the whole Jewish major Leaguer set signed except Sam Nahem who died shortly after- Radinsky was tough. At first he refused. I even tried cutting off the top of the card where it said Jewish hoping to sneak it by when I saw him at spring training and he caught it and wouldn't sign it. I tried in the mail and he replaced it with another card he signed. Eventually he reached a time where he stopped caring and signed it for me. Not sure where he is at with it now. There were a few others like that too. Margaret Wigiser wouldn't sign the card. Eventually I got her too but she cut off the top and only initialed it
Old 02-15-2022, 12:49 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemule View Post
Bingo.....Bob Montgomery from the 75 SSPC set.......
I know of one collector who got Montgomery to sign that card. Don't know of any others.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:11 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I had talked about this card up thread. It is a 95 Score card of Jayhawk Owens. Well the front of the card is Jim Tatum and the back of the card is indeed Jayhawk (Claude) Owens.

One of the earliest horrible trades that Bob Gebhardt made as General Manager of the Rockies. The Rockies had two young and good catchers at the AAA level, Jayhawk Owens and some dude named Brad Ausmus (much better than good).

Brad went on to have a really nice career. Jayhawk was out of baseball after a couple of years. I remember when Gebhardt made the trade, he was at Sky Sox stadium one evening shortly after the trade. I saw him and I went up to him and told him that he traded the wrong catcher.

We sent Alan Ashby (player to be named later), Doug Bochtler and Brad Ausmus for Greg Harris, and a throw in Bruce Hurst from San Diego, and none of these did anything spectacular for the Rockies.

While Claude was still in AAA I asked him to sign this card but he would only, at that time, sign the back of it. Later on, I guess he changed his mind as you can find his autograph on the front of this card.

I have one with Tatum and Owens signed in the team set for that year. Good times.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img20220215_12510949.jpg (72.6 KB, 449 views)
File Type: jpg img20220215_12514778.jpg (74.2 KB, 452 views)

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:19 PM

Default Howard Bailey

This isn’t technically a “won’t sign” but Howard Bailey always blacks-out Marty Castillo’s eyes on the ‘82 Topps Tigers Future Stars card they share apparently in protest over Castillo’s domestic violence issues. One of the more interesting TTM quirks I have noticed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3E792D54-CC2B-4D9C-A9D9-D614EFFCF5CF.jpg (21.9 KB, 389 views)