NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-04-2021, 12:56 PM
Luke Lyon

Default 1916 Successful Farming

Has anyone here searched through through the magazines to see if there are any ads for the cards? I bought 11 of the 12 magazines from 1916 and started to comb through them, but it's a slow slog. Wondered if anyone knows whether I'll find anything or not.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-2021, 01:32 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Has anyone here searched through through the magazines to see if there are any ads for the cards? I bought 11 of the 12 magazines from 1916 and started to comb through them, but it's a slow slog. Wondered if anyone knows whether I'll find anything or not.

Thanks in advance!
Here you go--from the May edition, and the only one I have found from any of the 1916 magazines:

REA sold the promo set as a group back in 2012:
https://robertedwardauctions.com/auc...wly-discovered

Goodwin sold another set of them individually a year or so later, but failed to list that they were promo cards. Those are the only two sets known, although I have seen a single Alexander card also.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:52 PM
Luke Lyon

Thank you Todd!

Have you looked through all the issues carefully? If not, I can plan to do that.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:10 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Thank you Todd!

Have you looked through all the issues carefully? If not, I can plan to do that.
I looked pretty carefully though them ten years ago or more. I have the entire 1916 group in a hard-bound book about three feet from me right now. As you know, the magazines are chock-full of ads, many of them smallish. I did not see another ad for the cards, and certainly not one the size of what I posted. After the Summer it seemed less and less likely that one would appear so I probably didn't look as closely at those, but hey, who knows? Feel free to find another-- I absolutely wish you the best of luck.

P.S. The ad is found on page 45, if you want to save time.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 08-04-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:35 PM
Todd Schultz

Default And...

Since every thread deserves a card, here is my promo card of Home Run Baker:
Old 08-04-2021, 03:03 PM

Awesome Baker. Here is the Joe Jackson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 973B318E-84E9-427C-BE65-A2B7D3AA3FF8.jpg (17.9 KB, 301 views)
Old 08-07-2021, 12:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Awesome Baker. Here is the Joe Jackson
Great card....wish I had it back (from 6 yrs ago! )

Last edited by Leon; 08-07-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 01:20 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Great card....wish I had it back (from 6 yrs ago! )

Great Card and I wish I have it sometime in the future

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-07-2021, 02:20 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

I believe that there is an Evers SF salesman’s sample in the current REA.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:12 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
I believe that there is an Evers SF salesman’s sample in the current REA.
You are correct Jay, although I'm not sure it is completely accurate for REA to call it a salesman's sample. I am unaware of these actually going out with any salesmen (newspaper stands/hawkers?), instead being offered through the magazine only. Maybe REA has found additional info on the topic, and they are right to call it promotional, so I'm not too bothered by the semantics. It is still a very attractive card and pretty darn scarce.

Last edited by nolemmings; 08-07-2021 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:26 PM

Like the Evers, My (Leon’s old) Joe Jackson has no number, and SGC lists 6 players/cards without a number: Jackson, Evers, Lajoie, Baker, Zimmerman, Alexander. Each of these show 2 graded, with Alexander having 3. Of the other players listed in the SGC pop report that have card numbers, no more than one of each has been graded. PSA has graded 6 total Successful Farming, all with numbers, and none that are on SGC pop report. Thus, it appears no numbers (2 of each) were more common than numbers (one of each), of course all of them being rare as hell.

As an aside, the Evers is awesome. Talk about a special, good looking, type-card