NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-03-2021, 11:45 PM
Paul Winter

Default Revisiting the 1888 Davenport Composite

A while back I started a thread asking for help identifying players from an 1888 Davenport team card. REA auctioned a Davenport Team Cabinet card in the spring of 2015 (https://robertedwardauctions.com/auc...m-cabinet-card), in which the players were identified. These players played for Davenport's club in the Central Interstate League, which disbanded in early August 1888.

REA then auctioned a second Davenport cabinet card in the summer of 2019 (https://robertedwardauctions.com/auc...m-cabinet-card), with different players, who were not identified. This was the one I was working on. The description suggested this card was released at a different point in the summer, and as Davenport had a second club later in the summer, in the Western Association, it seemed reasonable to start there.

After considerable effort and research, I was never able to match more than about half the players with known members of that club. I am now of the opinion that this is because the second composite card does not depict the actual club, but rather was a mockup to show what the final one would look like. A view of a section of detail on both cards (from roughly the lower left corner) is shown below. It can be seen that the detail is identical between the two cards. While it could be that they reused the design from the first club for the second, I think that is not likely. There just aren't enough matches with Western League players for the unidentified group to be that club. (Plus there are complications when trying to determine when it would have been done, during the roughly one month the Davenport club existed in the Western Association.) And the first club (in the CISL) didn't turn over enough players for it to be some iteration of that club.

So I am left with the conclusion that the card sold by REA in 2019 is not a card for the actual club, but a proof of design. Still cool, but not real players. I post this here for anyone who might be interested or who might consider buying that second one at some point in the future.

Left is the second one, from 2019, while the right is the earlier one, from 2015.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Detail.jpg (60.4 KB, 78 views)