NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-02-2021, 08:09 PM
Todd
Todd Ev@ns

Default Certainly Didn’t Expect to See that at the National.

I walked in Thursday morning and who do I see behind the counter at the Memory Lane booth? Bill Mastro.

I felt obligated to say hello because I know Bill from my many consignments with him and Brian Marren during their Mastro days but it certainly was an odd feeling seeing him back at a National in whatever capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-02-2021, 08:17 PM
Jay Cee

Is he allowed to be involved back in the hobby?
Old 08-02-2021, 08:28 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Is he allowed to be involved back in the hobby?
Sure.
Doug is a free man too now.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-02-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:42 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUCARDFAN View Post
I walked in Thursday morning and who do I see behind the counter at the Memory Lane booth? Bill Mastro.

I felt obligated to say hello because I know Bill from my many consignments with him and Brian Marren during their Mastro days but it certainly was an odd feeling seeing him back at a National in whatever capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
many deals with Mastro & Nagy at Michigan card shows in Michigan before his auction days. Consigned with his auctions & bought from his auctions before his problems started.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 08-02-2021, 10:38 PM
Br1an N0Iff

I believe this is the first National in some time where the Feds didn’t show up and arrest someone. With all that’s going on in the hobby right now, I find that remarkable!
Old 08-03-2021, 12:05 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintboy View Post
I believe this is the first National in some time where the Feds didn’t show up and arrest someone. With all that’s going on in the hobby right now, I find that remarkable!
It sure looks like the feds simply don't care about all the drama surrounding PWCC, PSA, and these alteration scandals. Seemed like a fairly predictable outcome though.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:51 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Sure.
Doug is a free man too now.
I thought part of his sentencing was that he could never do business in the hobby again.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-03-2021, 07:02 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I thought part of his sentencing was that he could never do business in the hobby again.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndil/pr...l-bidding-scam

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Perhaps he was just sitting there, like the mustachioed women of circus sideshow yore.

Brian
Old 08-03-2021, 11:32 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
I am actually surprised any auction house would hire him with his past reputation. I would think that they would be concerned about his reputation might negatively effect their business

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-03-2021, 11:58 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
I am actually surprised any auction house would hire him with his past reputation. I would think that they would be concerned about his reputation might negatively effect their business
I would definitely question the integrity of any AH that hired a person that has done that much damage to the hobby.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-03-2021, 12:04 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I read somewhere that he found Jesus again or something like that?

Anyhow, he has been in the hobby since the disco days, and it would be very interesting to interview him. He has seen it all.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Has anyone said or heard that ML hired him, as opposed he was just chatting with the folks there? He is in Chicago so maybe he just came by to talk.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-03-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:13 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I would definitely question the integrity of any AH that hired a person that has done that much damage to the hobby.
If Arod can get work in MLB again after what he did and the ppl he screwed over, anything is possible. Different world we are in where notoriety is more important than integrity
Old 08-03-2021, 12:15 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
If Arod can get work in MLB again after what he did and the ppl he screwed over, anything is possible. Different world we are in where notoriety is more important than integrity
Put more charitably, people tend to be forgiving especially where the bad guy has acknowledged his sins.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:04 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Perhaps he was just sitting there, like the mustachioed women of circus sideshow yore.

Brian
He is from Chicago, maybe that’s it. Or his probation ended, so he can do what he wants.

N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 08-03-2021, 03:23 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Has anyone said or heard that ML hired him, as opposed he was just chatting with the folks there? He is in Chicago so maybe he just came by to talk.
Hi,

I read the above that he was behind the counter of the memory lane booth. And perhaps erroneously assumed that since he was behind it he worked there.

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-03-2021, 03:28 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Bill paid for what he did wrong which is more than can be said for many others in the hobby. I wish him and his family well and hope he lives a happy and productive life.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Bill paid for what he did wrong which is more than can be said for many others in the hobby. I wish him and his family well and hope he lives a happy and productive life.
I would agree there are lots of unpunished sinners out there. Lots.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Yep.... they could've gone after (and could still be going after) so many others who's actions are just as bad or worse.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-03-2021 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:04 PM
Aaron Seefeldt

Quote:
+1
I saw and talked with him at the National. So glad to see him after so many years. He helped me tremendously when I was starting out as a dealer in the mid 90’s. I know he did a lot of damage but I have nothing but love for him.

I remember the 1st time I consigned with him. He invited me to his home (I live in Chicagoland) and he showed me his t206 Wagner, a complete ‘33 Goudey set (all NrMt and better), and a complete set of s81 silks in Mint condition! On one side the wall was like a museum with a full game worn uniform of Cobb surrounded by incredible photos and memorabilia. Then… in walked his young daughter & his eyes lit up with true happiness and everything else was just “stuff”.

Last edited by Aaron Seefeldt; 08-03-2021 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Typo, had s71 silks
Old 08-03-2021, 06:49 PM
Glyn Parson

The ass kissing of this prick is pathetic.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:31 PM

I mostly refrain from commenting on threads because this board can be cruel sometimes, but the man has paid for his crime, period! Even Jesus forgives. Are you better than Jesus? Which one of us hasn’t made a terrible mistake our lives and doesn’t wish we could go back and change what we did. Look inside and try to have some compassion. My two cents…
Old 08-03-2021, 09:37 PM
Bob McLean

Just as I was finished setting up early in the show a well dressed man stopped and chatted with me. I introduced my self and He told me his name was Bill Mastro. I said I certainly recognize that name. He made a self deprecating remark something like everybody knows me as infamous. I wished him well and he continued his rounds.

I never did business with his company, but I agree with others who maintain he has paid his debt to society.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:45 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Put more charitably, people tend to be forgiving especially where the bad guy has acknowledged his sins.
Easier to acknowledge your sins if you only have to pay $250,000 for millions in fraud, methinks.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 08-03-2021, 09:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Easier to acknowledge your sins if you only have to pay $250,000 for millions in fraud, methinks.
I believe that was in the nature of a fine, not restitution. I guess as far as these things go he got a pretty good sentence.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:22 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

This POS and his felon friends stole millions from the “the hobby” and did a lot more damage than a few months at “Camp Walkaway” will make up for. I agree with Glyn when it comes to people kissing his ass. It’s pathetic. And yes, I personally lost money in the deal. Call me more Old Testament than New when it comes to criminal degenerates.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:53 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
This POS and his felon friends stole millions from the “the hobby” and did a lot more damage than a few months at “Camp Walkaway” will make up for. I agree with Glyn when it comes to people kissing his ass. It’s pathetic. And yes, I personally lost money in the deal. Call me more Old Testament than New when it comes to criminal degenerates.
Just curious, what money did you lose.

Old 08-03-2021, 11:37 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiprop View Post
I mostly refrain from commenting on threads because this board can be cruel sometimes, but the man has paid for his crime, period! Even Jesus forgives. Are you better than Jesus? Which one of us hasn’t made a terrible mistake our lives and doesn’t wish we could go back and change what we did. Look inside and try to have some compassion. My two cents…
I so badly want to respond and say "I'm better than Jesus", but that would probably be a bad idea.

Insert smiley face here.

Doug
Old 08-04-2021, 01:36 AM

Felipe and Matty were better than Jesus when it comes to Alou brothers.

Brian
Old 08-04-2021, 01:40 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Felipe and Matty were better than Jesus when it comes to Alou brothers.

Brian
Amazing!
Old 08-04-2021, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Amazing!
Gracefully accepted.

Brian
Old 08-04-2021, 11:41 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
I believe that was in the nature of a fine, not restitution. I guess as far as these things go he got a pretty good sentence.
didn't say it was restitution. AFAIK that was his only financial cost, the $250k fine. Did I miss a restitution number somewhere?

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 08-04-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 11:45 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiprop View Post
You do realize there is a significant portion of the world that isn't particularly interested in what Jesus may or may not have said and done, right?

That being said there's a difference between forgiving and forgetting.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:46 AM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Quote:

Brian
Or the Cartel lookouts perched over the border watching for the Feds
...whatever I want
Old 08-04-2021, 12:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
didn't say it was restitution. AFAIK that was his only financial cost, the $250k fine. Did I miss a restitution number somewhere?
No restitution, I was just emphasizing that, or trying to.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:40 PM
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
The ass kissing of this prick is pathetic.
I agree
Old 08-04-2021, 12:58 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL View Post
I agree
I can't believe that he will be permitted to be a part of the hobby in any fashion.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:01 PM
Luke Lyon

If I owned Memory Lane I would be pissed to find out that this guy was behind my booth. Terrible optics no matter what the story is.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:10 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
If I owned Memory Lane I would be pissed to find out that this guy was behind my booth. Terrible optics no matter what the story is.
He may have been talking to the owner, they do have something in common, and in any event I am sure ML will be fine.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-04-2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:31 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
He may have been talking to the owner, they do have something in common, and in any event I am sure ML will be fine.
Sounds Crazy but I agree with both Luke and Pete. I think it might be something as simple as Pete says but unfortunately the optics are not good at the moment(maybe as more time passes.) But of course the Auction House will be fine

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-04-2021, 01:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I can't believe that he will be permitted to be a part of the hobby in any fashion.
Permitted by whom?

Old 08-04-2021, 01:55 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Permitted by whom?
The hobby police.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:59 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The hobby police.
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keystone cops.jpg (8.6 KB, 788 views)

-
Old 08-04-2021, 02:38 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
The hobby police.
LOL, good one Leon!
Old 08-04-2021, 03:00 PM
Br3tt K0llin

Quote:
Does reputation mean anything in a hobby where PSA exists?
Old 08-04-2021, 03:03 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
Does reputation mean anything in a hobby where PSA exists?
I would point to the Bryan Dwyer/REA thread and say yes it does.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=305761

-
Old 08-04-2021, 04:20 PM

Quote:
-
Old 08-04-2021, 09:15 PM
Br3tt K0llin

Quote:
I would point to the Bryan Dwyer/REA thread and say yes it does.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=305761
Nice read but unfortunately not emblematic of the hobby at large. The sleaze that is openly put up with in this hobby these days is insane.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:36 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
Nice read but unfortunately not emblematic of the hobby at large. The sleaze that is openly put up with in this hobby these days is insane.
I would agree to a point. Unfortunately the Pareto principal applies to the hobby at large, you can only rely on about 20% of folks to have integrity and a moral compass. The good news is you can find a majority of those types of people on this sub.

-