NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Edward F.

Default OT: Tiger Stadium turns 100

Its a shame that none really remembers the piece of history that was torn down in 2009.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 AM
David Pierson
Banned

I remember, and miss, the old Briggs Stadium/Navin Field........hallowed ground my friend, hallowed ground......think of the "Greats" that stood at that corner. I even remember when the Lions played there. Aloha, Dinosaur Dave.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:28 AM

Was lucky enough to see a game there when I was a kid having grown up in the midwest. I don't understand tearing a place like that down. It made my heart hurt when I saw the film of the destruction. I understand the economics of it, but it seems to me that building a $500 million stadium to replace an icon is money badly spent. I don't like the idea of altering historic places, but if the option is tearing it down or refurbishing it for economic reasons, spend the $500 million on bastardizing the old stadium. Yeah, we would all be complaining about how they changed Tiger Stadium and made it too modern, but at least it would still be there. Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Boston has Fenway.

Chicago has Wrigley.

We've got a vacant lot:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/tiger-s...n-detroit.html

Last edited by imacgreg; 04-23-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Steve Birmingham

Exactly!

The plan for a "new Fenway" before the new owners was one of the silliest ever. The neighborhood didn't want tall lights, so they planned to put the field 60ft below ground level. Not good as the fens were a swamp used to put trash into for a century or so. Nothing good exists 60ft down anywhere in that area. Oh yeah, we would have also had the monster as a bit of the carcass of the old place as a park next door. (A fine place for grafitti !)

Give me the Hood and Coke bottles, Bud pavillion, and monster seats, as long as the rest of the place is still there.
When friends of mine complained about "ruining Fenway with crass ads" I showed them pics from the 30's and 40's with ads for razors and whisky on the leftfield wall.

I wanted to see a game in Detroit before it came down, but it never came together.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex View Post
Was lucky enough to see a game there when I was a kid having grown up in the midwest. I don't understand tearing a place like that down. It made my heart hurt when I saw the film of the destruction. I understand the economics of it, but it seems to me that building a $500 million stadium to replace an icon is money badly spent. I don't like the idea of altering historic places, but if the option is tearing it down or refurbishing it for economic reasons, spend the $500 million on bastardizing the old stadium. Yeah, we would all be complaining about how they changed Tiger Stadium and made it too modern, but at least it would still be there. Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM

I'll never forget the old ballpark! I went to many games there as a kid, and was able to catch the last game played at the corner -- I still have a film case full of foul territory gravel from that final game as a keepsake.

The Detroit News recently posted a gallery with 80+ photos from the stadium. It's definitely worth a look, and might offer a nice trip down memory lane.... LINK to gallery

Some sample pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bilde.jpg (47.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg b1ilde.jpg (22.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg gehrig takes to bench may 2, 1939, Tiger Stadium.jpg (27.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg bsilde.jpg (38.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg bird .jpg (27.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg lolich freehan 68.jpg (14.6 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg paul and ernie.jpg (32.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg bwilde.jpg (37.5 KB, 46 views)