NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-12-2021, 10:56 AM
Jim M.arinari

Default Anyone familiar with paper restoration / conservation?

Hello all!
Has anyone run into this type of defect in what I am guessing is 120 gsm paper? Approx. 60 years old, obviously stored folded, and virtually identical front to back. Surface is raised on both sides, with bulls-eye staining.

Any insight? Have checked with a couple of pros who, understandingly, were willing to give a guesstimate to the cost, but not the diagnosis or treatment. (ranged from $475 to $900. Or more!)

FWIW, I have never had anything "conserved" before, mainly because the amount invested usually results in a break evenish value proposition.

Come on experts!
Thanks, Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liston back002.jpg (79.7 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Liston front002.jpg (84.2 KB, 153 views)
Old 10-12-2021, 01:49 PM

Default more data

I take it this is about a boxing piece...best guess is it doesn't seem to look like water damage...more like a drop of some kind of chemical caused it...could create more interest if you posted shots of the whole piece front and back...thanks for the post...restoration/conservation is always an interesting subject...just would be nice to see what it is...

Old 10-12-2021, 04:13 PM
Jim M.arinari

Here is full scan. You can see where it was once folded in quarter(edit: eighths), but it was stored folded in half for many decades. Nothing else that was stored with it has any noticeable issues. There were some photos from the 40's - 60's, but not sure if that would cause any reaction like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liston001.jpg (78.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Liston back001.jpg (73.5 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by Deertick; 10-12-2021 at 04:21 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-13-2021, 12:26 PM

Default nice piece

pretty cool piece....what's the dimensions...yeah if you're gonna frame it you pretty much have to get rid of that...maybe someone was eating lunch while spread out on their desk and dripped something acidic...a restorer could probably cut it out and wheat paste in a patch and air brush it...would take a pro...guess $300 - $400 to fix...thanks for posting...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 10-13-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 02:07 PM
Jimmy

Rare signature! Yea you can do all kinds of stuff with paper - just depends on what you want to spend! focus on just the stain on the image. Do not spend money on the back! Cutting the signature would be ok as well if wanted to, would not take away too much value.

Jimmy

Last edited by jbsports33; 10-13-2021 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:39 PM
Jim M.arinari

Default Thanks!

Carlton, That's more the range I had naively guessed, and I think one of the companies may have estimated for repairing folds and such as well. I think someone could still be OK with it as is, as long as it is inert and not still progressing. But I don't know if it has been like this for 1 year or 30.

Prettied up and stabilized for $3-400 I think would be on the table as opposed to "restored" for $900.

It is a little over 6" x 3.5" and was given out pre-signed to autograph requestors to save time AND face, as he was illiterate and not comfortable signing.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:44 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsports33 View Post
Rare signature! Yea you can do all kinds of stuff with paper - just depends on what you want to spend! focus on just the stain on the image. Do not spend money on the back! Cutting the signature would be ok as well if wanted to, would not take away too much value.

Jimmy
Jimmy, that is the problem! It really isn't a 'stain' as much as an accretion of some sort. It may not look as bad because of the black ink is sitting on top.

And yes, making it a cut would be easy. I would just hate to destroy a scarce piece.