NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 19th Century Cards & ALL Baseball Postcards- B/S/T

Old 08-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Default Team cabinet card for sale.....SOLD

Posted By: ramram

1884 cabinet card of the Major League Columbus Buckeyes team. This team was 63 - 39 in 1884 and came in second to the New York Metropolitans. The players names are written in period ink on the back of the card. The left side is trimmed. Many of these players are featured throughout the Old Judge series. SOLD.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Holy crap Rob, nice piece. If you have time could you possibly list the players name to the corresponding numbers, for example: 12 = Cahill, etc.

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Zach Rice

I second Fred's statement, what an amazing piece ! As a collector of Columbus, Ohio related pieces I really appreciated you posting the picture of it.

From left to right:

Front Row: Frank Moutain and Ed Morris
Middle Row: Fred Mann, Tom Brown, Gus Schmelz, Pop Smith, and John Richmond;
Back Row: Patsy Cahill, Ed Dundon, Fred Carroll, Rudy Kemmler, Jim Field, and Willie Kuehne.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Administrator

I think Zach's got it right.

Written on the back of the image -

1 Morris
2 Mountain
3 Carroll
4 Kemmler
5 Dundon
6 Brown
7 Smith
8 Richmond
9 Fields
10 Mann
11 Kuehne
12 Cahill
13 Schmeltz

The photographer is Pfeifer of Columbus, Ohio

Rob M.

Old 08-29-2006, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Do you guys know which of these players were portrayed in the Old Judge set. I know several of them were but I haven't put a whole list together.

Rob M.

Old 08-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

I would have to agree with everone here in saying it is a very nice photo as well. The players that are in the N172 set are.

1 Morris
3 Carroll
4 Kemmler
7 Smith
9 Fields
10 Mann
11 Kuehne
12 Cahill
13 Schmeltz

Great photo It would look amaing framed with a complete Columbus Old Judge set!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Kind of an interesting side note - I've also got a very large albumen of this same image (not for sale). Actually, the image is slightly different. Most notable is that Kemmler has his arms down, but it was obviously done in the same sitting (I have also seen a third variation of this same sitting some time ago). The albumen is in its original frame. The back of the framed picture has slats from a crate. You can make out the word "Pittsburg" on these slats. Most likely this had something to do with the Columbus team combining with Pittsburg in 1885.

Rob M.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Rob, great item(s)!, I would be all over it myself if there were a direct connection to my collection.

Just in case you haven't already done so, a little word of caution on the framed piece. You might want to consider, if you haven't already, placing something safe between the cabinet and the wood backing. The thin wood slats (usually ~1/8" thick) can be damaging. Wood is very acidic and high in lignin, which causes acid burn and staining. Because it requires light to facilitate the process, the areas around openings and/or knotholes will be darker. Also the raw edges allow the release of the lignin. Consequently you get an actual pattern that follows the grain of the wood, including knotholes and seam lines on the back side of the cabinet that can stain all the way through the mount into the picture.

And Trevor, what is the best way to get ahold of you these days?, send me an email if you could.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski
twinturbo@comcast.net