NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2022, 04:49 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
I don't think people like to discuss them shutting down their autograph authenticating because they accepted a bunch of fakes, in the first place. Got to push the narratives, no matter how obviously problematic or untrue they are.
Right! Around the same time they also removed their "guarantee" on their graded cards. Well hobbyists, as usual, showed them how wrong these things were by sending them more cards than ever. Take that SGC!
Old 08-06-2022, 07:24 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
Right! Around the same time they also removed their "guarantee" on their graded cards. Well hobbyists, as usual, showed them how wrong these things were by sending them more cards than ever. Take that SGC!
The guarantee doesn’t matter, since SGC’s verdict must be correct, thus the guarantee is pointless, you see.

Anyways, it’s a good thing we trust SGC so much that we must ignore the evidence of our eyes and ears, never address that the card undeniably does not meet their own standards, keep the pump pumping, and insist that the people who can read SGC’s own grading standards are “crazy”. After all it’s not just SGC, Mr. Mint said it’s the best which means it’s a SGC 9.5! You trust Mr. Mint, right? Never admit a load of bunk is a load of bunk if that bunk is being used to pump a card you want to see pumped. Even if it requires a nonsensical argument that relies on Mr. Mint being an honest arbiter and ignoring the actual wear and the entire back. #invest

It’s a great card, a fortune would be made simply selling it honestly.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:45 PM

Two points here

1) I am not affiliated with PWCC or the PWCC vault in any way. I like to drool over my actual cards. But it has been presented to the public that PWCC auction operations and PWCC vault operations are separate legal entities. Hence it has been presented that bankruptcy by the auction side would have no impact on cards in the vault.

2) Card company guarantees certainly can be used in a self serving manner. A company can obviously bless trimmed cards as ok and not pay out on the guarantee. But a guarantee is better than no guarantee. At least it gives you a chance. Long ago when SGC had the guarantee, I bought a D380 Clement Bros card off eBay. Turned out the card had pencil all over it and should be in an A holder. I was paid out what I thought was fair amount on the guarantee, the card was removed from the holder, and I kept the raw card. Today if this happened with SGC I would just be out of luck.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:34 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Bob:

You are right: a new UCC-1 has to be filed when items are added to a vault and the record is public. I can say for sure that the vault is not renting real estate or a safe deposit box. It is simply providing a bailment service to dodge state sales taxes. Which are deferred: if you ever take delivery of the card, you owe the tax for your state.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-08-2022, 12:29 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Bob:

You are right: a new UCC-1 has to be filed when items are added to a vault and the record is public. I can say for sure that the vault is not renting real estate or a safe deposit box. It is simply providing a bailment service to dodge state sales taxes. Which are deferred: if you ever take delivery of the card, you owe the tax for your state.
And that is why I'm posing the thought/question, why don't they change what/how they do their vaults so that they are considered as renting/leasing something that does afford their users protection from potential bailment issues? Virtually no one is going to waste their time and money continually sending in and updating UCC-1 filings, at least not until one of the vault providers may end up having themselves, or a parent or related company go into bankruptcy and potentially creating a bailment issue for their customers. Or are you saying there is no realistic, legal way a vault could be set up that would be considered as a real rental/leasing type arrangement that could afford users protection from potential bailment issues?

In the early 2000's before he passed away in 2011, I had the opportunity and pleasure to meet Dan McCarthy, and listen to stories he told to a then colleague and myself about how he was the one, on behalf of the New York Yankees, that was able to convince the IRS to accept the concept of depreciating player contracts for income tax purposes. So it doesn't seem impossible to me that when there is a legal will to get something done, there can be a legal way to do so.

McCarthy also told us how ironically at one time, the New York Yankees were owned by an Ohio limited partnership.

Last edited by BobC; 08-08-2022 at 12:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:51 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Bob:

The beautiful thing about UCC-1's is that they do not need to be filed in the jurisdiction in which the 'vault' is located or that states Secretary of States office. The District of Columbia Recorder of Deeds is the default filing jurisdiction for all UCC-1's. There is no Secretary of State's office to file them. They all go to the ROD and they can be filed electronically.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 08-08-2022 at 12:52 AM.