NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-03-2019, 03:49 PM
pete ullman

Default Best venue to sell game used WILLIE MAYS BAT!

Can anyone offer opinions on where the best venue/AH might be to sell a game used willie mays bat from the late 50’s?

Last edited by ullmandds; 04-08-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:24 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

MEARS.....or any of the Big Boys:

REA
Heritage
Hunt
Goldin
SCP
Lelands
Old 04-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
MEARS.....or any of the Big Boys:

REA
Heritage
Hunt
Goldin
SCP
Lelands
I would agree...any of the “big boys” ought to get your bat plenty of exposure.

Can we see what you have?
Old 04-03-2019, 08:27 PM
pete ullman

I will have the bat in hand early next week and will post some images for you guys thanks for the advice that is pretty much what I figured I just thought one might be better than the other for bats!
Old 04-03-2019, 08:50 PM
Rob

I’ll give you $500.....sight unseen!
Old 04-03-2019, 09:09 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I’ll give you $500.....sight unseen!
For 5 hundo all youll get is a tomahawk chop!!
Old 04-04-2019, 03:51 PM
Mike

I'd be interested in seeing it too. I might be interested in making an offer, if you are open to it.

Mike
Old 04-06-2019, 08:07 AM
pete ullman

I will post more comprehensive pics when I have the bat in hand.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:09 PM
Jonathan Sterling

If I had that bat I would talk with Goldin Auctions Their last auction they did well with Bats..Jmho
Old 04-08-2019, 12:55 PM
pete ullman

hi guys...I have the bat in hand. the markings correspond with being made 1951-1957...I'd presume closer to 57' as that corresponds to my friends historical recollection. Bat is cracked...has little use.

Apparently this is a very rare bat...despite not showing a ton of use.

It seems there are no similar bats that have sold that I can find on the internet...and for this reason as well as others I will likely be getting this bat graded and will send to a big auction house. The value range is just too variable from what I can see.

I will post more pics tonight.

Here is link with some pics I posted a while ago.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=213784
Old 04-08-2019, 05:15 PM
pete ullman

here are some pics...I've done a lot of research and I cannot find an exact exemplar...I did find a similar mantle bat that sold REA for a lot of moulah...but no exact willie mays with the flame treated notation or the older adirondack label.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0-5.jpg (39.3 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg 0-4.jpg (32.8 KB, 523 views)
File Type: jpg 0-3.jpg (26.5 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg 0-2.jpg (67.9 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg 0-1.jpg (46.7 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (49.5 KB, 526 views)
Old 04-08-2019, 05:17 PM
pete ullman

and here is an exerpt from a book my friend wrote regarding this bat:

On July 31, 1956 my father took me to the Polo Grounds to see my first major league night game, a twi-nighter against the Cincinnati Redlegs. Dad skipped the last couple of hours of his summer road crew job but by the time we navigated a network of Long Island highways, traversed the Triborough Bridge and entered the stadium at 8th Avenue and 155th Street, the first contest was more than half in the book.

We zigzagged the pedestrian ramps to the upper deck and I heard the distant crack of the bat, a sound so distinctly “baseball” it forges an emotional link in millions of baseball hearts. The home crowd erupted, its collective voice deep-throated, spontaneous, rich and full. Jackie Brandt, a rookie Giant outfielder from Omaha, had homered off lefty reliever Pat Scantlebury, a Panamanian nearing the end of a distinguished international pitching career. If I listen closely to the replay in my mind I can hear the hit with a 7-year-old’s ears. I can still feel the internal electric current the crowd’s roar transmitted to my heart.

A few seconds later the other-worldly vista of an enclosed stadium appeared, Technicolor gone steroidal played across a Cinerama screen. Row upon row of seats gleaming under artificial illumination. Virtually unblemished infield skin. Park-green outfield grass. The playing surface populated by neatly clad players wearing gray sleeveless uniform tops over red t-shirts and one in the batter’s box wearing a cream jersey and a black hat. To this day I feel a youth’s excitement upon entering a stadium and eagerly anticipate the initial glimpse of the field, even the oft-maligned Metrodome, a major league venue now abandoned for an outdoor one at the immensely popular Target Field, a pitchers’ park where homers are rare, a stadium better known for its ambiance and amenities than for the quality of the competition.

A white shirted attendant pointed to our seats under an overhang decorated by an ornate façade. With the Giants leading 4-0 in the bottom of the seventh New York outfielder Don Mueller scratched out an infield single. He advanced to second on a wild pitch and scored on Red Schoendienst’s single to center, drawing emotion from the crowd once more. My hero, Willie Mays, ended the inning. He whiffed on a third strike.

Willie’s out represented a small disappointment since, after the Redlegs got one back in the top of the eighth courtesy of pinch hitter Stan Palys’ homer, the Giants won. According to New York Daily News writer Jim McCulley, “The Giants upset the second-place Redlegs, 5-1, in the opener of a twi-nighter as Joe Margoneri went the distance with a nifty five-hitter.”

In the nightcap Cincinnati scored five in the fifth and took a 7-1 lead. The Giants didn’t rally. They split the doubleheader. In truth, not a bad result for a 34-58 team, hardly that of a pennant contender.

I didn’t care I rooted for a cellar dwelling team. I didn’t notice the sparse attendance. I loved being there. I loved the Giants’ cream jerseys. I loved seeing Willie play. Besides, to my way of thinking, the best was yet to come.

In the days before Walter O’Malley and Horace Stoneham took their National League franchises to the West Coast, New York fans expected to walk on the field after games. In fact event management encouraged patrons to use it as an efficient way to empty the stadium, directing fan toward gate openings in the outfield walls. On several previous occasions I’d trekked across the Yankee Stadium outfield to stand awestruck before the famous monuments, memorials to Miller Huggins, Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig clustered around the flag pole in dead center field. After the second game on this night I walked on Willie’s turf.

Dad and I made our way to the field and stood on the top step of the Giant dugout where an equipment manager purposefully pulled the bats from a storage cabinet and stuffed them into a white canvas bag with a reinforced leather bottom. The man paused as he yanked one particular bat from the rack. He lifted a buckskin Adirondack, the wood veined with darker streaks. He examined it carefully. Grasping it by the barrel he tapped the handle gently against the dugout steps. The cracked bat responded with a twang. He held it up, caught my eye and tossed it my way, an upside-down exclamation point. The genuine ash product bore an inscription on the barrel: Willie Mays.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:20 PM
pete ullman

Full length...35"...33.5oz...length and weight are correct per Willies specs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0-6.jpg (70.0 KB, 520 views)

Last edited by ullmandds; 04-08-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:38 PM
pete ullman

Some info I found on PSA site.

Does anyone have any opinions/advice?

WILLIE MAYS

Much like fellow power hitter Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays alternated between H&B and Adirondack professional model bats throughout his career. While his Adirondack bats do feature his signature on the barrel, Mays’ H&B bats are of the block letter variety only since he did not have a signature contract with the company. A small number of the known examples do possess either "W. Mays" on some of his early bats or his full name from the latter portion of his career, but most Mays H&B gamers only feature his last name. Another interesting similarity to Mantle was Mays’ use of pine tar, which evolved over the course of his career. Early on, Mays was inconsistent about his use of the gripping substance. By the mid-1960s, that all changed.

Mays was known to apply a coat of pine tar that would sometimes extend from the base of the handle up past the center brand, a pattern documented in many photos. As a result, well-used bats from this period until the end of his career are as distinct looking as any gamer of the era. In addition, many of the known Mays gamers do feature his primary uniform number "24" marked on the knob. Mays did wear number "14" for a short time during his rookie season, but many of his early bats do not possess a vintage uniform number notation.

Keep in mind that Mays was a player who often hit with the label facing downward, which caused ball marks to cluster on the left barrel in such cases. You will, however, find that heavily-used Mays bats often have contact marks on both sides, which is consistent with his free-swinging approach. Finally, Mays gamers from his time with the New York Giants are far tougher to locate than bats manufactured during his time in San Francisco and with the New York Mets.

SMR PRICE GUIDE
Approximate Value: $7000

Important Notes:

(a 1961-64 Willie Mays bat sold for $18,725)
(a documented Willie Mays HR bat #620 sold for $37,400 in 2004)
(a 1965 Willie Mays HR bat (#491) from the "Roseboro Game" sold for $55,000 in 2012 - it was graded PSA/DNA GU 10)
(a 1969-72 Willie Mays bat sold for $17,925)
(a PSA /DNA GU 9.5, 1970-1972 Willie Mays bat sold for $14,520 in 2014)
(a PSA/DNA GU 10 1954-57 Willie Mays signed bat sold for $40,630 in 2016)
(a PSA/DNA GU 9, 1954-57 Willie Mays signed bat sold for $36,250 in 2016)
Old 04-08-2019, 07:49 PM
Scott Russell

does the lack of pine tar worry you at all?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-08-2019, 07:55 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
does the lack of pine tar worry you at all?
no because from what I read willie didnt regularly use pine tar at this point in his career. he started liberally using it in the mid/late 60's.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:29 PM
Ron V

Beautiful bat...can you post a picture of the knob?

Last edited by eastonfalcon19; 04-08-2019 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Seen the knob
Old 04-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Ron V

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 View Post
Beautiful bat...can you post a picture of the knob?
NVM I saw it from the old pictures you posted on the other link.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:37 PM
pete ullman

forgot the knob!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0-7.jpg (24.2 KB, 490 views)
Old 04-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Chris Wood

Great bat and story!
Old 04-09-2019, 12:00 PM
pete ullman

I appreciate everyones comments/offers...I will be consigning to Goldin for their summer auction...look for it at the national!
Old 06-11-2019, 11:37 AM
pete ullman

UPDATE: Found out this past week that my friends bat graded a PSA/DNA GU 8...and will be in the August Goldin auction.

Last edited by ullmandds; 06-11-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:56 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Great news. There's a new Mays gamer in the hobby!
Old 06-11-2019, 08:37 PM
Banned

great choice. can’t go wrong with ken Goldin.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:20 PM
pete ullman

My friends bat sold last sunday morning in goldins...$7500 plus the juice.

He’s happy... but as rare as these Adirondack bats are I am a little surprised it sold so cheap!!!
Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 PM
Matt

Glad it worked out ..that's a very fair price for it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
My friends bat sold last sunday morning in goldins...$7500 plus the juice.

He’s happy... but as rare as these Adirondack bats are I am a little surprised it sold so cheap!!!

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 08-15-2019, 04:31 PM
Scott Jackson

Default Great bat !!

I was actually the winner of this bat and it’s headed to Taube to be repaired and regraded. I’m shocked it went for as cheap as it did mainly because of how scare 1950’s Mays bats are. The story is another reason I was determined to get it.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:57 PM
Chris Counts

Congratulations Scott! That's a real beauty. I love the story, too. I'm a cap guy and not a bat guy, but I know the thrill of picking up something really special.