NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 01-24-2013, 04:00 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Default dimaggio(?) from leland

the prototypical dimaggio's sister ttm? leland's rep taking a hit a bit on here recently.

any chance at all this could be good?

Last edited by chaddurbin; 01-25-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:37 PM

Default JimStinson

Sis
Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM

Default JimStinson

BUT ...lelands is very good , might just be a case of everyone trying to do everything real quick who knows
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 PM
qu@n nguy3n

thx jim--does the urine analogy also apply here? i sold the other 6 lesser value to a board member, might need to contact him if something's up.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 AM
Richard Simon

Chad - sh-- happens sometimes, even the good auction houses can slip up on occasion. This Joe D was probably the result of a little rush job. I am sure they will make good on it.
FYI - the other three look fine.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-25-2013, 08:10 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

It amazes me how some people get free passes and are allowed to make mistakes while others are not. Bottom line is, humans make mistakes. I am guessing that some people on here like Leland’s because they do not use psa or jsa rather than if they are the MOST competent auction house or not.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
It amazes me how some people get free passes and are allowed to make mistakes while others are not. Bottom line is, humans make mistakes. I am guessing that some people on here like Leland’s because they do not use psa or jsa rather than if they are the MOST competent auction house or not.
They don't use PSA or JSA for a reason.
The in house people at Lelands are very knowledgeable and do not need outside help.
And Ben, while I am not excusing them, mistakes on a Joe D autograph do not compare to an Ed Dele(sp)hanty $30,000 mistake,, when both PSA and JSA blew the authentication despite the misspelling of his last name.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-25-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:07 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
They don't use PSA or JSA for a reason.
The in house people at Lelands are very knowledgeable and do not need outside help.
Correct... it costs money.

I am not saying they are without knowledgeable.. I am just saying they make mistakes just like you do Richard. PSA and JSA make mistakes as well but it is my opinion that their coas are superior.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Correct... it costs money.

I am not saying they are without knowledgeable.. I am just saying they make mistakes just like you do Richard. PSA and JSA make mistakes as well but it is my opinion that their coas are superior.
We are all entitled to our opinion. Even you and I Ben.
And I think you are sadly mistaken if you think Lelands does not use PSA or JSA because it costs them money. The procedures on Lelands have been discussed here before and NOBODY has ever accused them of that. You are really reaching Ben to accuse them of that.
Many on this forum agree with me and many agree with you in regards to the TPA's.
That has been argued here over and over but I would be willing to bet that neither Lelands nor I would never have authenticated two George W. Bush letters that were auto-penned when they had both letters in front of them.
I am also willing to bet that neither Lelands nor I would have authenticated those Rocky Marciano gloves that were talked about here in a prior thread.
And if you have a problem with a Lelands autograph I think it is relatively easy to get Mike Heffner on the phone. Try that with PSA or JSA. When your authenticators are in witness protection it is difficult to get any contact with them.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-25-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
We are all entitled to our opinion. Even you and I Ben.
And I think you are sadly mistaken if you think Lelands does not use PSA or JSA because it costs them money. The procedures on Lelands have been discussed here before and NOBODY has ever accused them of that. You are really reaching Ben to accuse them of that.
Many on this forum agree with me and many agree with you in regards to the TPA's.
That has been argued here over and over but I would be willing to bet that neither Lelands nor I would never have authenticated two George W. Bush letters that were auto-penned when they had both letters in front of them.
I am also willing to bet that neither Lelands nor I would have authenticated those Rocky Marciano gloves that were talked about here in a prior thread.
And if you have a problem with a Lelands autograph I think it is relatively easy to get Mike Heffner on the phone. Try that with PSA or JSA. When your authenticators are in witness protection it is difficult to get any contact with them.
What am I accusing them of exactly?? Being human?? Not wanting to spend moremoney than they think they should have to?? Again.. being human?? I am not accusing Lelands of anything.
I am, however, accusing you of putting words in my mouth. My comment was directed to you(and others like you). with personal, self serving agendas against the TPAs. After all, you are "an expert" and also sell opinions and make mistakes too. You are human.

Last edited by Forever Young; 01-25-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:18 AM
qu@n nguy3n

imo the guys here have been fairly objective in who they think is good, and who's bad.

mike @ lelands did get back to me, apologized and said the sig is bad and to send it back to them for a refund...which is more than you can say about other auction houses who might hide behind a JSA or PSA/DNA cert and stick it to you. also see where it gets you when you bring the bad sig back to JSA or PSA/DNA.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
imo the guys here have been fairly objective in who they think is good, and who's bad.

mike @ lelands did get back to me, apologized and said the sig is bad and to send it back to them for a refund...which is more than you can say about other auction houses who might hide behind a JSA or PSA/DNA cert and stick it to you. also see where it gets you when you bring the bad sig back to JSA or PSA/DNA.
That is great to hear. I have heard of situations where both psa and jsa have made things right too though.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
That is great to hear. I have heard of situations where both psa and jsa have made things right too though.
Any specific ones you recall Ben?
--
Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post

I was sure Lelands would do that.
--
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
What am I accusing them of exactly?? Being human?? Not wanting to spend moremoney than they think they should have to?? Again.. being human?? I am not accusing Lelands of anything.
I am, however, accusing you of putting words in my mouth. My comment was directed to you(and others like you). with personal, self serving agendas against the TPAs. After all, you are "an expert" and also sell opinions and make mistakes too. You are human.
You are one fun guy Ben.
What is my self serving agenda?
Selling my opinion is such a small part of my overall business.
My total advertising expenditure for selling my own opinion is $0.00. I have one page on my website describing my authentication services and multiple pages offering items for sale.
But getting into pissing matches with you never serves any purpose.
So why bother?
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-25-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Ben, I was reading this thread and trying to figure out how it turned into another thread about PSA. If you are going to take a thread about PSA and try to use it to make them sound better than Lelands, then you must expect some rebuttals. I think both PSA and Lelands have authenticated enough autographs that we have plenty of evidence for our opinions, just as you do.

I applaud Lelands for not using PSA, not because I hate PSA, but rather because I have more faith in Lelands. I think that you are correct that it is about money - everything is when it comes to business like this. It makes sense that if authenticators cause trouble for your customers through their mistakes, to at least consider getting the expertise in your own house. The benefits go beyond simply removing the cost of paying for authentication - for one thing, it's easier to clean up your own messes, especially if there are fewer of them.

I'm sure you are also correct that there are 'some' people who have had enough bad experiences with PSA that they have looked at auction houses such as Lelands that make their own autograph assessments. If Lelands screws up enough, that could change, but I think their attitude about returns is such that they are safe.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Belltown Vintage

Also, (in my opinion) if an auction house does NOT have the internal expertise to authenticate photos and autographs, then they SHOULD use a service such as PSA. I've seen auction descriptions where the auction house made an assertion about an un-slabbed item, such as "this is a type 1" that were total BS.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Richard Simon

Scott is right Ben. You were the one who tried to turn the OP's story into a "let us talk about PSA and JSA."
Nobody mentioned PSA in this thread until you brought it up.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 01-25-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Default JimStinson

Its probably pretty easy to explain, Its a group lot someone looks at it and says "Hey be sure to mention in the description that the DiMaggio is a proxy" So the person writing the description says "OK" and then gets back to her desk and says to herself "What is a proxy ?".

The description gets written the word is omited and the lot is sold. Probably the least important item in the lot gets overlooked. The rest were good. Innocent mistake

I had almost the exact same thing happen to me this morning , when having the lady who helps me with listings is handed a George "Rube" Foster (Red sox) autograph to list , she looks Rube Foster up on line and lists the autograph as RUBE FOSTER the Negro League Hall of Famer. Big difference between a $25.00 Bo-Sox player and a near impossible HOFer worth many thousands of dollars , I caught it & corrected it before it was listed. Now if it HAD been listed in error. Would that have reflected badly on me ? yes , would it have represented an intent to be deceptive ? I hope not.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Scott is right Ben. You were the one who tried to turn the OP's story into a "let us talk about PSA and JSA."
Nobody mentioned PSA in this thread until you brought it up.
Runscott makes some good points. Richard, again.. Words in my mouth. I never said I didn't first mention psa. Also.. Are you kidding me?!?! Richard Simon never brings up other tpas abcs, tombs ect first in threads.... What a joke. Also.. Charging for your Coa might not be a huge part of your business (because most want jsa or psa right or wrong) but you selling items without a psa or jsa cert is a huge part( you include your cert). Right? You therefore don't spend money on one right? Gosh I thought we were done with this as you were not going to bother....uhhhg.

Last edited by Forever Young; 01-26-2013 at 05:52 PM.