NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-26-2022, 09:53 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Sorry if someone answered my prior question. Why Authentic?
I could be wrong but my guess is that the submitter didn't want it to say "9" so they went with an "A only" request.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 06-26-2022, 09:54 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Probably because the logos are not evenly and consistently seated in their slots. Which goes toward proving how stupid the whole thing is anyway.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-26-2022 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:03 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Such a poorly designed card, you could have done so much with it if was a postcard size card. It looks more like an homage to the Jerry West logo with tiny pics of LJ squeezed in as an afterthought.
Just by making the orientation vertical, and I think there was room, they could have had much larger images of LeBron. But the people bidding on this don't care, I assume, about the aesthetics.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-26-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:10 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Joe Jackson polo grounds went stronger than I wanted on heritage.

I ended up picking up tickets to 1980 usa hockey. Paid more for the gold medal game ticket than the Russia ticket. Same condition. Makes no sense.
I don't know if we'll see a trend, but for what they are -- among the very few career Joe Jackson issues none of which are easy to find -- the playing card issues have always struck me as relatively undervalued.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-26-2022 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:21 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Such a poorly designed card, you could have done so much with it if was a postcard size card. It looks more like an homage to the Jerry West logo with tiny pics of LJ squeezed in as an afterthought.
ya...the design on a lot of this stuff is an abomination...my sister, who is an excellent graphic designer, could do much, much better!

And at what point does thickness factor into what makes a card...a card? Or doesn't it matter? Some of these newer "premium" cards are like 1/8" thick????
Old 06-26-2022, 10:22 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
I could be wrong but my guess is that the submitter didn't want it to say "9" so they went with an "A only" request.
i'd guess it's altered...as many newer basketball cards are. Which if it is... to alter a 1/1...is just stoopid!

But many are stoopid (crazy for cocoa puffs) when it comes to "10's."

Last edited by ullmandds; 06-26-2022 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:27 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I watched a ton of breaks of modern cards and one of the funniest things to me is when people go insane "winning" a "LAUNDRY TAG" relic card. People are frothing at the mouth how lucky they are to win the 1/10 Trevor Lawrence "LAUNDRY TAG". Always makes me chuckle. . . . .congrats . . . .amazing win . . . you now own a tag that was possibly cut out from another guy's worn underwear. Something to cherish indeed. A family relic to be passed down from one generation to the next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
ya...the design on a lot of this stuff is an abomination...my sister, who is an excellent graphic designer, could do much, much better!

And at what point does thickness factor into what makes a card...a card? Or doesn't it matter? Some of these newer "premium" cards are like 1/8" thick????

Last edited by Snapolit1; 06-26-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-26-2022, 11:42 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Peter is asking a good question here and I think a lot of people are overlooking this part.

PSA has given some of these logoman cards numerical grades in the past. Why does this one not have it? If it had graded a PSA 10 GEM MINT, then do you think the final price would have been 2.4M? Another way of looking at it is this: a 1952 Topps Mantle PSA AUTHENTIC example is going to sell for much less than a PSA 5 EX or a PSA 7 NM, right?
Old 06-26-2022, 12:13 PM
Fred

Quote:
Man, I could build such a beautiful pre-war collection for that kind of money.
Yeah, no shit! You hit that one dead on. Even with the escalation in prices, $3M would still build a nice collection. If you weren't going for primo grade stuff, you could have a lot of nice cardboard (oh yeah, with all the plastic that goes around it these days).
Old 06-26-2022, 02:08 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I watched a ton of breaks of modern cards and one of the funniest things to me is when people go insane "winning" a "LAUNDRY TAG" relic card. People are frothing at the mouth how lucky they are to win the 1/10 Trevor Lawrence "LAUNDRY TAG". Always makes me chuckle. . . . .congrats . . . .amazing win . . . you now own a tag that was possibly cut out from another guy's worn underwear. Something to cherish indeed. A family relic to be passed down from one generation to the next.
Or you could just wipe your ass with it.

Or not...
Old 06-26-2022, 03:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Why would anyone prefer A to 9??

Old 06-26-2022, 03:38 PM
James M

Quote:
I think its purely psychological.

This is a 1/1 so whatever grade it gets, there won't be a higher or lower grade. If it grades a 10, people will pay a lot more for it. If it grades an 8 (and PSA is very tough on thicker cards/jersey/relic cards), I think it might lose some of its luster. Grading it an A kind of splits the difference, because you as a buyer dont have any idea if there are surface issues or anything else wrong with the card when you are buying it.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:41 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
For a 1/1, I think the idea -from a submitter who intends to sell it immediately- would be that while a 9 discloses that the card is somehow imperfect, an A does not.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 06-26-2022, 03:43 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael3322 View Post
Wonder what happens to this card's value if Lebron ever joins a 4th team and they make a new card with all 4 logomen.
It gets Brady'd...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:44 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
An ultra-modern basketball card with three pieces of fabric and three tiny images of LeBron James.
and no autograph smh...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:22 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

According to posters on blowout, the breaker who opened the card initially was rumored to have dropped it, damaging a corner. So the card might have graded a PSA 6, in which case, the owner requested it get an AUTH grade rather than a number.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:52 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
According to posters on blowout, the breaker who opened the card initially was rumored to have dropped it, damaging a corner. So the card might have graded a PSA 6, in which case, the owner requested it get an AUTH grade rather than a number.
reverse psychology?
Old 06-26-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Dropped it? Wow. That’s like a $2mm fumble.

What are they saying on blowout about the price and what that says for the state of things?
Old 06-26-2022, 05:25 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

On the other hand, Goldin hyped an uggo POS made a few months ago into a big payday, regardless of whether it is $2.4 or $5.0. He's got us talking about it and about his AH, so from a PR standpoint the sale was a rousing success. Now, whether the buyer is going to profit is another story, but I want lots more shiny, expensive trinkets to distract the monied 'bros. As far as I am concerned, let all the 'bros buy all the shiny crap and stay out of vintage...at least until I am ready to sell.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-26-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:40 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Damage to the patch window is my understanding.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:40 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by japhi View Post
damage to the patch window is my understanding.
no! Not the patch window!!!!!
Old 06-26-2022, 05:42 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
no! Not the patch window!!!!!
I thought it was called "the hole"
Old 06-26-2022, 05:45 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Damage near one of the patches is what caught my attention. It certainly doesn't look like this would occur from being dropped accidentally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logoman-closeup.jpg (154.4 KB, 357 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-26-2022, 06:09 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

A box of these cards. And I use the term box very loosely, contained 10 cards each and they went for 15K a box. Drake (whoever the hell he is) bought 14 boxes for a miserly sum of over 200K looking for that card and came up empty. Wonder if he threw all of those 140 cards away?

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/...141827041.html

Christ on a crutch, Panini, as well as other manufacturers are making a mockery of the word hobby.

Ugh,

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 06-26-2022 at 06:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:25 PM

I must be slow, but I still don’t get what these patches are. Are they from game used uniforms or ? One of them looks pretty shabby - is that good or bad? I’ll go back to the 60 ‘s now . . .
Old 06-26-2022, 06:29 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Even the print on Le Bron James looks likes crap. Or I am developing a vision disorder.

Really pretty comical all around. Not that I wouldn't mind accepting 2 million from someone.

Quote:
Damage near one of the patches is what caught my attention. It certainly doesn't look like this would occur from being dropped accidentally.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:32 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Even the print on Le Bron James looks likes crap. Or I am developing a vision disorder.

Really pretty comical all around. Not that I wouldn't mind accepting 2 million from someone.
IMO owning it is an ego thing, it's pissing farther than your fellow crypto Instagramers, it doesn't really matter what the card LOOKS like. Maybe if Logan Paul won it he can laminate it and wear it around his neck like he did a million dollar Pokémon card.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-26-2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:36 PM

So, if you were to cut the little logoman off of the back of this card and then encapsulate it as “the logoman from the rare Labron James triple logoman card”, would it be worth even more money? This hobby gets sillier every day.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:43 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
I must be slow, but I still don’t get what these patches are. Are they from game used uniforms or ? One of them looks pretty shabby - is that good or bad? I’ll go back to the 60 ‘s now . . .
Not exactly sure but I believe they are cut from the top portion of each jersey he wore from each team. Jerry West should be getting some sort of a commission for each of those images too. ;-)

Game used??? Probably…

Butch…

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 06-26-2022 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:50 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

If there was a NFT of this card I'd happily pay $3 million for it. Just sayin.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:56 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
What are they saying on blowout about the price and what that says for the state of things?
Similar to what's been said here. Way overhyped, not even the best LeBron James card you could get in the auction (the Gold /23 RC patch auto is more desirable by most), but still sold for a whopping price.

Could have been the damage to the patch window. That surface wrinkle there would have dropped the grade to a PSA 5 or so, IMO.

But yes, those logomen, according to Panini, are the original patches from game worn LeBron James Cavaliers, Heat, and Lakers jerseys. The Lakers one looks different because they now make logoman patches differently, I guess.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:02 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
If there was a NFT of this card I'd happily pay $3 million for it. Just sayin.
That's 6M in crypto.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:02 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Yes, they are from game worn jerseys as the back of the card says.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:39 PM
Keith
ke.ith tem.ple

Default Nice silhouettes of Jerry West.

Wonder if Jerry is getting any kind of residual?
...whatever I want
Old 06-27-2022, 09:56 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53toppscollector View Post
I think its purely psychological.

This is a 1/1 so whatever grade it gets, there won't be a higher or lower grade. If it grades a 10, people will pay a lot more for it. If it grades an 8 (and PSA is very tough on thicker cards/jersey/relic cards), I think it might lose some of its luster. Grading it an A kind of splits the difference, because you as a buyer dont have any idea if there are surface issues or anything else wrong with the card when you are buying it.
even if it's a 1 of 1 PSA 10, it has less than 6 names, therefore it is deemed garbage. I'd rather have My Zeon 400# fat china doll Panini Pollo Loco triple cheeseburger man cracked ice aqua metal Kodachrome rainbow reflection parallelogram gold base PSA 10 1 of 1. It has 19 names and is a PSA 10 1 of 1, of course.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:42 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

I'm sure Panini and Goldin will learn from this experience when they issue the new LeBron triple logoman 1/1 next year.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:16 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
I'm sure Panini and Goldin will learn from this experience when they issue the new LeBron triple logoman 1/1 next year.
Panini had nothing to do with the damage which likely suppressed demand and hammer price. The card was in a protective plastic case when it was pulled. Presumably, the card was in much better condition at that point in time.

Then, something happened to the card. It almost looks like someone tried to remove one of the logoman patches.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 06-28-2022 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 10:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

So has the winner of this thing declared himself?

Old 06-28-2022, 11:22 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
So has the winner of this thing declared himself?
Thought I saw on Blowout that it was group of 3 guys, at least 2 of which outed themselves on Instagram, but possibly read that wrong.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:40 PM
Rob

Quote:
How much does the hobby box that this card came out of go for?
Old 06-28-2022, 12:53 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Probably less than before, now that the Triple Logoman has been pulled.

(in all seriousness, I'll leave the true answer to someone who actually knows this segment of the hobby)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 06-28-2022, 01:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That's 6M in crypto.
This hour.

Or not...
Old 06-28-2022, 01:22 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
I think someone said $15k. Not sure but might be one of those ones where you get 3 cards?
Old 06-28-2022, 03:02 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
I think someone said $15k. Not sure but might be one of those ones where you get 3 cards?
This is why I stopped buying modern cards about 10-12 years ago. I used to enjoy the thrill of the rip, but I would buy $300-$500 boxes (or in some cases single packs) and the cards would come out looking like they spent two weeks in someone's back pocket. For that kind of money, the quality control has to be better. Apparently, it's not and I'm glad I'm out.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:23 PM
Chase

Quote:
Thought I saw on Blowout that it was group of 3 guys, at least 2 of which outed themselves on Instagram, but possibly read that wrong.
It is a 331 post thread (at the time of posting this) which on this topic is 331 too many posts for me to read but for those who care...https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1521021
Old 06-28-2022, 05:26 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I'm still scooping up 2001 topps heritage wax boxes. The original... beginning of heritage. The price hasnt moved in a decade!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 06-28-2022, 06:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
A syndicate!!

Old 06-28-2022, 07:35 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
A syndicate!!
Could this be the infamous DAO someone tried to start on this site?
Old 06-28-2022, 08:28 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
Could this be the infamous DAO someone tried to start on this site?

Nope

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2022, 07:22 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
So, if you were to cut the little logoman off of the back of this card and then encapsulate it as “the logoman from the rare Labron James triple logoman card”, would it be worth even more money? This hobby gets sillier every day.
I am not really an NBA fan, but I thought Jerry West was the NBA logo man.