NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj-hman View Post
Once the auction or purchase is complete the buyer should have the option to use the authentication guarantee if the card meets eBay standard for authentication. Seems unnecessary to make it mandatory.
It has to be a no-brainer that this will ultimately be the scenario of the future. Buyer has the option for this service; optional for the buyer, but mandatory for the seller if that's what the buyer wants to do. I'm not sure why this isn't how the program was started out in the first place. Definitely not my first choice as a seller, but even so, I could understand it.

I took the advice of someone in this thread and switched my listings back to the Trading Card Singles category and also included "Set Break" in the titles. I will be finding every way possible to dodge this unwanted bullet, even if that means having to list in other categories, risking far less traffic. I feel that the seller should have some say if they want to participate in something they deem unnecessary and ridiculous, but again, we all know that eBay is only geared towards buyers' experiences.

I was extremely fortunate with the only instance where I nearly had to send cards in to CSG. I contacted the buyer and explained how uncomfortable I was with this middleman entering the transaction. They immediately replied that they felt the same way and that they knew my offerings were legitimate. Very comforting to hear that, especially from a first time customer. The transactions were cancelled, relisted, re-purchased and sent directly to the buyer's address like a normal business transaction. Crazy, huh?

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 06-15-2022 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:50 AM
Robert Klevens

I just got this eBay purchase in the mail today from CSG. There was no blue box or authentication sticker on the card saver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg csg.jpg (196.0 KB, 411 views)
Old 06-15-2022, 10:06 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
It has to be a no-brainer that this will ultimately be the scenario of the future. Buyer has the option for this service; optional for the buyer, but mandatory for the seller if that's what the buyer wants to do. I'm not sure why this isn't how the program was started out in the first place. Definitely not my first choice as a seller, but even so, I could understand it.

I took the advice of someone in this thread and switched my listings back to the Trading Card Singles category and also included "Set Break" in the titles. I will be finding every way possible to dodge this unwanted bullet, even if that means having to list in other categories, risking far less traffic. I feel that the seller should have some say if they want to participate in something they deem unnecessary and ridiculous, but again, we all know that eBay is only geared towards buyers' experiences.

I was extremely fortunate with the only instance where I nearly had to send cards in to CSG. I contacted the buyer and explained how uncomfortable I was with this middleman entering the transaction. They immediately replied that they felt the same way and that they knew my offerings were legitimate. Very comforting to hear that, especially from a first time customer. The transactions were cancelled, relisted, re-purchased and sent directly to the buyer's address like a normal business transaction. Crazy, huh?
Add a second card to every auction, something worthless from the 80s. They don't authenticate if there are multiple cards being sold in a listing as I understand it.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:07 AM
Al Stein

I'm not sure why a buyer would turn down a free authentication review. But I can think of one big reason why a seller would be against it.

I've bought my share of trimmed cards on ebay. There are many sellers on ebay that are unscrupulous. I know many of the big time collectors here can see issues with a glance at a scan, but most ebay buyers are not that good at spotting alterations or fakes.

I know I should have more sympathy for all the card doctors who are getting impacted by ebay's new procedures, and less for all the collectors being duped. Still, I think it's good that ebay is working to clean up its marketplace.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2022, 11:59 AM
Joe M.

Default $511.00 card purchased raw

Card was shipped 6/13/22 accepted at Po With pending in description, nothing new since then. How long does it stay there before it moves again to authentication? Thanks joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-15-2022, 01:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
I'm not sure why a buyer would turn down a free authentication review. But I can think of one big reason why a seller would be against it.

I've bought my share of trimmed cards on ebay. There are many sellers on ebay that are unscrupulous. I know many of the big time collectors here can see issues with a glance at a scan, but most ebay buyers are not that good at spotting alterations or fakes.

I know I should have more sympathy for all the card doctors who are getting impacted by ebay's new procedures, and less for all the collectors being duped. Still, I think it's good that ebay is working to clean up its marketplace.

That's an understandable but not necessarily accurate assessment, especiall the assumption that the glance and return will actually ferret out trimmed cards. I doubt that is the case. The issue is four-fold:

--CSG is authenticating raw cards it doesn't actually grade.
--PSA is authenticating other TPG holders.
--There is a risk of false positives. I know several professional, reputable sellers who've had cards rejected, killing deals. I know these dealers are good enough to spot fakes and alterations. Mistakes cost money.
--The program is not voluntary. If I buy a card from a professional seller I've dealt with for years I don't need some jackhole at eBay mandating that I have to send the card to CSG. If I want to do that, I can do it myself.

It is inevitable that this mandatory program will end up as a 'wonderful new service for a modest fee' for sellers at some point. Meaning the buyer ends up paying for it in the end. Worst case scenario, it is a % charge like a service fee, which will give eBay a windfall profit on expensive cards. Just another profit center.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-15-2022 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:26 PM

Adam certainly cleared up a lot of it.

There are more well-intentioned reasons that sellers would dislike the idea.

Coming immediately to mind is that the sheer volume of cards being submitted will lead to things being lost/misplaced/damaged. Yes, the items are insured, but customers are looking to buy the cards, not to get a refund for lost or damaged goods. Involving more hands in what has forever been a much more straightforward procedure will increase the probability of issues. If there are any issues as a result of anything happening to items while in the possession of the authentication companies, that doesn't bode well for the seller in spite of it likely not being any fault of theirs. The customer gets annoyed and may not buy from that seller anymore. It may not be a rational reaction, but it will very well happen on occasion. Just more needless headache as a result of this money-making scheme.

As a seller, I actually care about my inventory and want my customers to enjoy their items. I ship properly and pack items as I would wish to receive them. Judging by the above Mecca, it appears that we are in for some inconsistency in how items are shipped from point B to point C.

I really think we should all sit back for the duration of this "promotion" just to see how many unfortunate stories we end up hearing about.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 06-15-2022 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:01 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
That's an understandable but not necessarily accurate assessment, especiall the assumption that the glance and return will actually ferret out trimmed cards. I doubt that is the case. The issue is four-fold:

--There is a risk of false positives. I know several professional, reputable sellers who've had cards rejected, killing deals. I know these dealers are good enough to spot fakes and alterations. Mistakes cost money.
--The program is not voluntary. If I buy a card from a professional seller I've dealt with for years I don't need some jackhole at eBay mandating that I have to send the card to CSG. If I want to do that, I can do it myself.

It is inevitable that this mandatory program will end up as a 'wonderful new service for a modest fee' for sellers at some point. Meaning the buyer ends up paying for it in the end. Worst case scenario, it is a % charge like a service fee, which will give eBay a windfall profit on expensive cards. Just another profit center.
Some false positives maybe, but less "items not as described" too.

Ebay can raise their fees anytime they want. If they want to charge more now they can, with or without this authentication service.

The grievances on this thread seem like really minor points. The upside to you as a seller is that buyers on ebay will have more confidence in the items they are buying and be willing to buy more. Which means you and other legitimate sellers will get more sales.

Old 06-16-2022, 01:18 PM
Colton
Colt0n Eng.lish

I received my first “Authenticity Guaranteed” item today through eBay’s mandatory system.

As a Buyer, I hate this program...

First and most importantly, I should not be forced to send what I purchase to anyone for approval!! Also, I really don’t want anyone else handling my cards. Most folks simply don’t handle raw cards in the manner that I expect.

Next, It takes longer to get my item and mine came with those bands holding the now terribly encased card by two corners. Well, that sucks!

The QR code is on that cheap plastic penny sleeve and states “Void if Damaged” on the seal...

So, I can’t take my card out of this cheap penny sleeve encased Card Saver 1 (which is not how I store my collection) without voiding the “Guarantee”

Haha, this is worthless to me!!!

Also, the cheap penny sleeve with the QR code comes damaged by the rubber bands holding it to the huge folder, just like shown in post #33, Haha, Wonderful Idea

No Thanks, I’m a buyer and I say its a Crock of you know what

100% this is a business ploy, honestly doesn’t even seem legal to force me to send what I purchase to someone else for undue, and un-Wanted handling of my fragile rare vintage collectible.

Just my 32 cents

Last edited by nineunder71; 06-16-2022 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:43 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

As a buyer, I don't want this junk either. I'd rather just get my card. A time delay and future added cost to have an unknown person of unknown expertise tell me something I already know provides 0 value. And that's the best case scenario. As a collector of less common and non-Baseball items that graders routinely mess up and clearly know little of, I'm likely to have good items rejected. It's not that rare that I buy a card knowing it is altered or not in the condition stated, but the seller hasn't disclosed this. I want it anyways, not for somebody at CSG to cancel my deal for me without the input of myself or the seller.

We will absolutely be paying for this. The only question is how eBay will shift the cost (plus margin for profit) to buyers and sellers and how disguised it will be. Anyone who believes they will do this for free to clean things up, well I got this bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

I see other views of it as a good though. I do not understand the deal where PSA has to authenticate the slab of graded cards. That's just beyond silly.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestigecollectibles View Post
I just got this eBay purchase in the mail today from CSG. There was no blue box or authentication sticker on the card saver.
That happened to me as well on a George Brett team issue pre rookie card, just showed up in the card saver, no documentation, nothing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-16-2022 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 11:48 PM
Ryan Cambi⚾️

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineunder71 View Post
i received my first “authenticity guaranteed” item today through ebay’s mandatory system.

As a buyer, i hate this program...

First and most importantly, i should not be forced to send what i purchase to anyone for approval!! Also, i really don’t want anyone else handling my cards. Most folks simply don’t handle raw cards in the manner that i expect.

Next, it takes longer to get my item and mine came with those bands holding the now terribly encased card by two corners. Well, that sucks!

The qr code is on that cheap plastic penny sleeve and states “void if damaged” on the seal...

So, i can’t take my card out of this cheap penny sleeve encased card saver 1 (which is not how i store my collection) without voiding the “guarantee”

haha, this is worthless to me!!!

Also, the cheap penny sleeve with the qr code comes damaged by the rubber bands holding it to the huge folder, just like shown in post #33, haha, wonderful idea

no thanks, i’m a buyer and i say its a crock of you know what

100% this is a business ploy, honestly doesn’t even seem legal to force me to send what i purchase to someone else for undue, and un-wanted handling of my fragile rare vintage collectible.

Just my 32 cents
100%
Old 06-29-2022, 01:52 PM
Ken McMillan

Okay, just bought a s74 silk off of eBay and it is to go through this process. I know the card is legit and this is a total waste of time and money. I would rather have the seller send it directly to me and I can send it into CSG for slabbing. If there is an issue, they will tell me. I say let’s cut Ebay out as the middle man and the authenticator and get back to common sense.
Old 06-29-2022, 02:20 PM

Default Does eBay now authenticate autographs that are on something other that a card?

Reading the eBay authentication info on their site it looks like the authentication guarantee if for cards only. But here is any auction for a signed program that show the eBay Authentication Guarantee on on the auction page.

https://tinyurl.com/23p9u9mn

How does that work?
Old 06-29-2022, 05:57 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4191 View Post
Reading the eBay authentication info on their site it looks like the authentication guarantee if for cards only. But here is any auction for a signed program that show the eBay Authentication Guarantee on on the auction page.

How does that work?
The seller listed as "Sports Trading Card". That would trigger the guarantee. It will likely just get forwarded on to the buyer with nothing done to it.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:17 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
As a buyer, I don't want this junk either. I'd rather just get my card. A time delay and future added cost to have an unknown person of unknown expertise tell me something I already know provides 0 value. And that's the best case scenario. As a collector of less common and non-Baseball items that graders routinely mess up and clearly know little of, I'm likely to have good items rejected. It's not that rare that I buy a card knowing it is altered or not in the condition stated, but the seller hasn't disclosed this. I want it anyways, not for somebody at CSG to cancel my deal for me without the input of myself or the seller.

We will absolutely be paying for this. The only question is how eBay will shift the cost (plus margin for profit) to buyers and sellers and how disguised it will be. Anyone who believes they will do this for free to clean things up, well I got this bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

I see other views of it as a good though. I do not understand the deal where PSA has to authenticate the slab of graded cards. That's just beyond silly.
+1 on all of this
This crap is happening in reverse too. This is from ebay on a return I have ongoing, of a clearly mislabeled item- It is a $750 return....

On careful review on the matter, I see that you have returned the item to your seller. I checked the return tracking number uploaded and it shows that the item has been delivered to sellers return address.

I appreciate your effort returning back the item to the seller within the time given. Usually, refunds we process are credited to the member’s account within 24-48 hours; but due to the high value of the claim, please allow additional review of our financial team of the decision I have made for you before the release of the funds back to your account. Be assured, however, that you will be notified through your eBay Messages once the funds have been credited back and it will be reflected in your next bank/card statement. At this point, I placed the case on hold for 5 days. Please know we are handling this case with great urgency and importance. This will allow our specialist team time to review the details of the case further.I apologize if it would take a few more days to resolve the issue. Please note that the action we have taken today is an initial resolution for your concern.

As a valued member of our community, we want you to have smooth transactions here on eBay. I assure you that we are doing our best to make eBay a safe and reputable place for buyers and sellers to do their business. That is why we provide each member ample time to give us the information and evidence required to come to a fair decision on each case.

I'm confident that you will understand why we are holding this case and I thank you for the utmost patience. Thank you for choosing eBay as your online selling platform and cheers to more years to come.

Thanks,

Diana P.
eBay Customer Support

Old 06-30-2022, 12:04 PM
Eric Perry

Is this code for, "the seller claims you sent them a wet newspaper. Give us a few days to sort this $#!T out" or is that their standard response?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
+1 on all of this
This crap is happening in reverse too. This is from ebay on a return I have ongoing, of a clearly mislabeled item- It is a $750 return....

On careful review on the matter, I see that you have returned the item to your seller. I checked the return tracking number uploaded and it shows that the item has been delivered to sellers return address.

I appreciate your effort returning back the item to the seller within the time given. Usually, refunds we process are credited to the member’s account within 24-48 hours; but due to the high value of the claim, please allow additional review of our financial team of the decision I have made for you before the release of the funds back to your account. Be assured, however, that you will be notified through your eBay Messages once the funds have been credited back and it will be reflected in your next bank/card statement. At this point, I placed the case on hold for 5 days. Please know we are handling this case with great urgency and importance. This will allow our specialist team time to review the details of the case further.I apologize if it would take a few more days to resolve the issue. Please note that the action we have taken today is an initial resolution for your concern.

As a valued member of our community, we want you to have smooth transactions here on eBay. I assure you that we are doing our best to make eBay a safe and reputable place for buyers and sellers to do their business. That is why we provide each member ample time to give us the information and evidence required to come to a fair decision on each case.

I'm confident that you will understand why we are holding this case and I thank you for the utmost patience. Thank you for choosing eBay as your online selling platform and cheers to more years to come.

Thanks,

Diana P.
eBay Customer Support

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 06-30-2022, 12:15 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
Is this code for, "the seller claims you sent them a wet newspaper. Give us a few days to sort this $#!T out" or is that their standard response?
This seems to be a standard boilerplate. They said the dollar amount flagged it. And there is no question concerning the issue either. So we'll see but so far I think it's stupid.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:40 PM
Paul Lehr

eBay is a dumpster fire these days.
IMO eBay has never done anything for the good of collectors and every change is ultimately about increasing the bottom line.
For years I used to have 30-50 transactions a month between buying and selling but my current feedback rating shows ZERO transactions in the last month, 54 in the last six months, and only 113 total in the last year, and my watch list is empty.
To each their own but I'd much rather cut the BS and just deal with a few AH's.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
+1 on all of this

Thanks,

Diana P.
eBay Customer Support

In other words:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-04-2022, 11:16 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4191 View Post

How does that work?
The authenticity guarantee is evidently for more than just sports cards, and it extends to some items under the $250 threshold. For instance, I got a new pair of Addidas sneakers at the price of $115, and they arrived in the mail after they went through the authentication process.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:30 AM
Br1an N0Iff

This is a straight money grab on eBay’s part. If you think they’re doing it for any other reason you’re sorely mistaken.
Old 07-04-2022, 11:31 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

I guess the eBay authentication process does include spotting alterations as well. Here is a portion of a current eBay listing description from a seller who originally sold a '52 Bowman Mays card to a buyer, but the sale didn't go through due to the card being declared as "altered" . . .

NOTE - an eBay's authenticator "claims" this card is altered. That it was trimmed. I have measured this card with a set of digital calipers SEVERAL times, and it measures out perfectly. Upon looking very closely with a Loupe on the edges, it has no apparent cut marks and the lay over on the cardboard is exactly the same on each edge. There is no "wavering" of the cardboard on the edge's indicative of trimming. There is no apparent clean corner or corners that would be present from trimming. The cardboard losses on the edges and corners appear to be natural and normal paper loss for a card 70 years old.

I DO NOT believe this card to be trimmed. BUT... because its eBay's world and they have some unnamed "authenticator" on their payroll, who obviously does NOT work as a card grader, we get their opinion and as such, I have to tell you that at least one eBay authenticators "OPINION" this card is trimmed.

That being said good luck and the card is priced accordingly.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:23 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
The authenticity guarantee is evidently for more than just sports cards, and it extends to some items under the $250 threshold. For instance, I got a new pair of Addidas sneakers at the price of $115, and they arrived in the mail after they went through the authentication process.
Others have mentioned there is authentication for sneakers and I think watches that was going on before they started requiring authentication for sports cards above a certain price. Just curious if there is any charge for the sneakers to be authenticated (to buyer or seller) and if anyone knows what people who sell (and buy) those items on eBay thought of the authentication process being added to the purchase.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:54 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineunder71 View Post
I received my first “Authenticity Guaranteed” item today through eBay’s mandatory system.

As a Buyer, I hate this program...

First and most importantly, I should not be forced to send what I purchase to anyone for approval!! Also, I really don’t want anyone else handling my cards. Most folks simply don’t handle raw cards in the manner that I expect.

Next, It takes longer to get my item and mine came with those bands holding the now terribly encased card by two corners. Well, that sucks!

The QR code is on that cheap plastic penny sleeve and states “Void if Damaged” on the seal...

So, I can’t take my card out of this cheap penny sleeve encased Card Saver 1 (which is not how I store my collection) without voiding the “Guarantee”

Haha, this is worthless to me!!!

Also, the cheap penny sleeve with the QR code comes damaged by the rubber bands holding it to the huge folder, just like shown in post #33, Haha, Wonderful Idea

No Thanks, I’m a buyer and I say its a Crock of you know what

100% this is a business ploy, honestly doesn’t even seem legal to force me to send what I purchase to someone else for undue, and un-Wanted handling of my fragile rare vintage collectible.

Just my 32 cents
Your 32 and 32 more from me. I purchased a nice '52 Topps SGC 6 Bob Feller on Ebay and without my knowledge or, God Forbid, my permission suddenly my Bob was not winging his way not to me but was parked with this authentication bunch of clowns. What a joke, no value, just a delay and a worthless cardboard and, yeah, guarantee. For a disinterested buyer, it really sucks.
And why the hell are they authenticating cards that have already been graded?
Old 07-04-2022, 07:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

I am expecting tomorrow an SGC card that was "authenticated" by PSA. Real added value there.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:09 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
…why the hell are they authenticating cards that have already been graded?
Hopefully, they’re making sure the holder hasn’t been tampered with.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 07-04-2022, 09:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Hopefully, they’re making sure the holder hasn’t been tampered with.
As if they could tell.

Old 07-04-2022, 09:15 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Others have mentioned there is authentication for sneakers and I think watches that was going on before they started requiring authentication for sports cards above a certain price. Just curious if there is any charge for the sneakers to be authenticated (to buyer or seller) and if anyone knows what people who sell (and buy) those items on eBay thought of the authentication process being added to the purchase.
There was no upcharge for me, the buyer, and I doubt the seller incurred any fees either. The authentication process caused a slight delay in delivery.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:28 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
As if they could tell.
In theory, they should (at the very least) be able to tell this with their own slabs.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)

- Yogi Berra
Old 07-04-2022, 09:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
In theory, they should (at the very least) be able to tell this with their own slabs.
I've seen a situation where someone sent in a card that almost certainly was in a Copperfield slab and expected them to confirm that, but they issued a new cert and reslabbed it. It was a 30K card too, at the time, now worth much much more.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-04-2022 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:15 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
I don't know much about the sneaker world, but if the side of the shoe or the box says "Addidas", I would guess it might be a cheap knockoff.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:26 AM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I am expecting tomorrow an SGC card that was "authenticated" by PSA. Real added value there.
Me too! The guy that sold it to me lives about 2 hours away, yet the card went from NC to CA for authentication, now back to NC.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:39 AM
Ed.gar Pim.entel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Me too! The guy that sold it to me lives about 2 hours away, yet the card went from NC to CA for authentication, now back to NC.
I beat you! I bought an SGC graded card from a guy who lives in the same city. The card went from NYC to Newark to Chicago ( it stayed there for a week. I guess it was visiting relatives) to Los Angeles to Santa Ana. After arriving to Santa Ana in the morning that afternoon it went to Los Angeles to Memphis to NYC (Queens) to Yonkers finally to NYC ( Manhattan).

Last edited by EddieP; 07-05-2022 at 03:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:00 PM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieP View Post
I beat you! I bought an SGC graded card from a guy who lives in the same city. The card went from NYC to Newark to Chicago ( it stayed there for a week. I guess it was visiting relatives) to Los Angeles to Santa Ana. After arriving to Santa Ana in the morning that afternoon it went to Los Angeles to Memphis to NYC (Queens) to Yonkers finally to NYC ( Manhattan).
I just got mine back today. I still would have just rather have the card back sooner, but I must say, the presentation sure is nice.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:21 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
I just got mine back today. I still would have just rather have the card back sooner, but I must say, the presentation sure is nice.
Nice....and totally unnecessary........us card collectors don't need a chaperone.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:44 PM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Nice....and totally unnecessary........us card collectors don't need a chaperone.
Agreed it's unnecessary, especially with a card that's already graded. The extra shipping is what worried me the most about the process. I mean, what could possibly go wrong with an extra 5,000 miles of shipping through the USPS?
Old 07-06-2022, 06:58 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Agreed it's unnecessary, especially with a card that's already graded. The extra shipping is what worried me the most about the process. I mean, what could possibly go wrong with an extra 5,000 miles of shipping through the USPS?
HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH!! Touche!
Old 07-06-2022, 07:58 AM
Sonny Smith

I am 100% for the eBay authentication program. I have sold about 10 graded cards so far that have gone through the process with no problems at all.

I think many are underestimating the sheer volume of scams / "bad" listings that were / are happening on eBay. Just because you think you can determine a scam listing or fake / "bad" card being sold, does not mean the vast majority of buyers can.

Some keep saying "why does a graded card need to be authenticated again?". The counterfeit holders are getting better and better every day - many buyers would probably have a hard time detecting a counterfeit slab these days. Also, a seller can picture a graded card and send a rock, an empty package, a different card in a different graded holder, an empty card holder, etc. And if you're the buyer and it says the package was delivered, good luck trying to argue your case that you didn't receive what you bought. Who should eBay believe in that situation? This program clears up that problem immediately.

And as far as raw cards go, the amount of problems that can be solved by involving an independent third party is extremely valuable. Buyers can't make up any condition excuse for a return, and sellers can't sell altered cards or cards with undisclosed damage to unsuspecting buyers.

It was clearly impossible for eBay to implement an authentication guarantee that would please everyone, but at least they are attempting to do something. I do agree that the program should be optional for buyers, but if you opt out, you void any buyer protection no matter what - you don't receive what you bought or are not happy with your purchase, you're out of luck.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:23 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyu2 View Post
I am 100% for the eBay authentication program. I have sold about 10 graded cards so far that have gone through the process with no problems at all.

I think many are underestimating the sheer volume of scams / "bad" listings that were / are happening on eBay. Just because you think you can determine a scam listing or fake / "bad" card being sold, does not mean the vast majority of buyers can.

Some keep saying "why does a graded card need to be authenticated again?". The counterfeit holders are getting better and better every day - many buyers would probably have a hard time detecting a counterfeit slab these days. Also, a seller can picture a graded card and send a rock, an empty package, a different card in a different graded holder, an empty card holder, etc. And if you're the buyer and it says the package was delivered, good luck trying to argue your case that you didn't receive what you bought. Who should eBay believe in that situation? This program clears up that problem immediately.

And as far as raw cards go, the amount of problems that can be solved by involving an independent third party is extremely valuable. Buyers can't make up any condition excuse for a return, and sellers can't sell altered cards or cards with undisclosed damage to unsuspecting buyers.

It was clearly impossible for eBay to implement an authentication guarantee that would please everyone, but at least they are attempting to do something. I do agree that the program should be optional for buyers, but if you opt out, you void any buyer protection no matter what - you don't receive what you bought or are not happy with your purchase, you're out of luck.

Agreed...that was one of my problems when I first got into the hobby. I sold sold awesome 1961 Fleer basketball cards...all PSA 8's or 9's with qualifiers. The buyer claimed he didn't want qualifers after he bid on an won my auctions. I told him to return them for a full refund. Instead of returning the cards, he returned the empty slabs. He had cracked out the cards, apparently because he wanted high grade cards for his collection and wanted to get his money back at the same time. That was my lone experience with getting a "brick" in the mail.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:37 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Agreed...that was one of my problems when I first got into the hobby. I sold sold awesome 1961 Fleer basketball cards...all PSA 8's or 9's with qualifiers. The buyer claimed he didn't want qualifers after he bid on an won my auctions. I told him to return them for a full refund. Instead of returning the cards, he returned the empty slabs. He had cracked out the cards, apparently because he wanted high grade cards for his collection and wanted to get his money back at the same time. That was my lone experience with getting a "brick" in the mail.
Crazy! You can't make this stuff up.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:10 PM

Default authentication

the holders of the slabbed cards are being authenticated, the cards are not being re-authenticated....still I think it is a waste of time for slabbed cards in the newer, better, security holders....but perhaps authenticating holders of the cards encased in older, non security holders needs to be done to be sure the holders have not been tampered with...assuming the "authenticators" know what they are doing and what to look for....

Bruce Perry