NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2022, 06:45 AM
Charles Jackson

Default Cooperstown tips?

Heading to Cooperstown in June for the first time since I was kid over 30 years ago.

Are there any exhibits in the Hall of Fame I should know about that I might otherwise miss? I know its a fairly big place.

Anyone have some tips on what to do in town (if anything) besides the Hall of Fame? Any good places to eat/drink?

I realize the Hall of Fame website has a ton of info, but was curious to hear from anyone that's been there recently.
https://baseballhall.org/planyourvis...20Labor%20Day.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:51 AM
Jeff
Je.ff Gro.ss

I’m jealous! I have been 8-10 times but would go again today if I could

Take your time and you’ll enjoy every bit of the hall. The shops along Main Street are also a lot of fun, and with any luck, you’ll catch a game at the ballpark in downtown (forget the name of it)

But take a get-away to the Omagang Brewery… great beer! Here’s their web site:

https://www.ommegang.com/

Have a great trip!

Jeff
Old 05-07-2022, 06:52 AM

Used to go up there every year with my dad, great memories.

We've stayed here, great B&B right near Main St...

https://www.innatcooperstown.com

This was always our go-to lunch spot...

https://doubledaycafe.com

We liked going in the off season, felt like we had the town to ourselves. Fun to just walk around Main St, and light crowds in the Hall. Enjoy!
Old 05-07-2022, 07:24 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I retired to Cooperstown a few years ago and love it here.
Other than the winters that last 7 months, its great. Plenty
to see and do here. Check out the Farmer’s Museum and
Fenimore Art Museum if you have time. I really recommend
renting a boat and checking out our beautiful lake.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:27 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Cooperstown

Charles Jackson

There is an annual BB card Show at the VFW building (on Main Street across from the HOF). This Show has been going on for 40+ years,
and usually has some interesting stuff (vintage cards and memorabilia).

The date of it varies....either the last week of July, or 1st week of August. If you are interested, I will get the date of it for this Summer.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 05-07-2022, 08:01 AM
Charles Jackson

Thanks for the tips so far!

I will definitely be heading to Ommegang, will try see a game downtown and will check out Main Street.

We already have accommodations, but I will check out https://doubledaycafe.com for food.

The lake sounds fun and the Farmer's Museum and Fenimore Art Museum sound interesting.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to hit up the card show in July/August as I will only be there during the last few days in June.

Last edited by cgjackson222; 05-07-2022 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2022, 08:21 AM

Default Hof

Some Suggestions. I am a member.

Cooperstown Diner for breakfast
get there early as the place is tiny.

other food options
The Hawkeye Grill in the Otesaga Hotel has good food and great view. Most likely you will need a reservation in the summer.

Mels is also a great choice for lunch and dinner.

Cooperstown Distillery on Main Street is a nice place for sampling and cocktails.

Cooleys is my go to dive bar.

Red Shed brewery is across the street from Ommegang and is worth a stop.

The hall itself is pretty well laid out and you won't miss anything. My favorite spots are the early baseball area that has a lot of memorabilia and the new exhibit upstairs on baseball cards.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:18 AM
James M.

It's a lovely little town, the shops along main street are nice. Definitely echo the recommendations of the Cooperstown Diner and the Hawkeye Bar and Grill.

The store I normally always recommend, is unfortunately closed. Baseball Nostalgia was probably one of my favorite stops, right inside Doubleday Court. Was open for over 40 years, bought some great cards from there and had some wonderful experiences talking to Peter. Yastrzemski's is another fantastic store that I recommend checking out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Charles Jackson

There is an annual BB card Show at the VFW building (on Main Street across from the HOF). This Show has been going on for 40+ years,
and usually has some interesting stuff (vintage cards and memorabilia).

The date of it varies....either the last week of July, or 1st week of August. If you are interested, I will get the date of it for this Summer.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Ted,

I didn't realize the show was going to happen again up at Cooperstown. Already have a trip scheduled this month with my father, might have to make a second trip up there this July!

- James

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:39 AM
GaryPassamonte

There is a great little bakery at the light on Main St. Also, Nicoletta's Italian Cafe is good.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:48 AM
octavio ranzola

Default Card

Shops are crazy with prices go in the winter i once had the whole place to myself ,,food is great ,nice town ,,
Old 05-08-2022, 01:25 PM
Randy

Here is my tip about visiting the HOF.

Go on a week day, middle of winter.

Only others in the building are employees and the ghosts.

Leisurely look at everything without being rushed.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:32 PM

Agree with all the others and would add there is a good used book store across the street from the cooper inn. Large baseball section in addition to all the usual categories. I think the name is Monie books.
Old 05-08-2022, 01:59 PM
Nath.aniel Gr.ow

Go to the Hall later in the day...way less crowded and much more leisurely.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:17 PM
GaryPassamonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Agree with all the others and would add there is a good used book store across the street from the cooper inn. Large baseball section in addition to all the usual categories. I think the name is Monie books.
Yes, Bruce. Monie Books.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:35 PM

Thanks Gary. A good spot, but not sure I will get there again.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:19 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson44 View Post
Shops are crazy with prices go in the winter i once had the whole place to myself ,,food is great ,nice town ,,
I came back to the US with my wife last February 2021. She had never been here and in March 2021, her first trip was to Cooperstown. Off season is certainly better for prices around town, but we found quite a few places closed, although that may have been due to the Covid restrictions at the time.

That trip though made my wife a complete baseball junkie. All we have playing now is MLB TV and season tickets with the Pirates. She attended the National last year, bought some Othani cards, now expects me to find out how to get her to meet him and have them signed. Having a terrible time trying to lower her expectations.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:10 PM
Marty K.

Most of the above is right on....

Make restaurant reservations two weeks in advance at least You'll be happy you did.

Toscana not Nicoletta's for Italian...

Mels is good..

Doubleday field is a must game or no game.....

Might try the Landmark Inn....Very nice your wife will be very happy...

Sit on the back porch at the Otesaga and have a drink whether you stay there or not...

Take the boat ride and see the "Tower"

Go to the Mill in Fly Creek ...Your wife will love it.... great cider and many goodies...

Leather stocking Golf course is beautiful....

Dreams park south of Cooperstown is amazing for young ball players
weekly Championship games are on Thursday night......

Chamber of Commerce building near Doubleday on Chestnut Street has all the brochures for the surrounding area...

That should keep you busy!!! Have fun.
Old 05-30-2022, 07:15 PM
James M.

Quickly updating this thread and reporting in with some observations from my trip as it comes to a close. Stayed at the Otesega, again, accommodations are second to none, really feels like you take a step back in time when you stay in the Hotel.

Came in Sunday morning. Happened to catch George Brett, Wade Boggs and Ozzie Smith on their ways out of the hotel. Missed the Cooperstown classic by a day. No pictures or autographs with each of the Gentlemen who were all nicer than the next, just had some conversations with them. Ozzie especially, is still built like an athlete. My hand hurt from his handshake!

Restaurant wise, the Hawkeye in the Otesega was very good. I thought the prices were fair as well. Doubleday Cafe, did not disappoint either. I did notice however that virtually every place, whether it be Restaurants or stores are short-staffed, with "Help Wanted" signs in the window. Also strongly reccomend checking out the small bakery in town, across the street from Cooperstown Diner.

The Hall of Fame itself was night and day in comparison to last year, though I got there right as it opened, bee-lined to the plaque gallery and had it entireley to myself along with my father.

Store wise, for cards, I Spoke to Adam of Yastrzemski Sports a couple of times when I visited his store. I feel like if you're going to support one card business in town, it has to be his. Prices are fair, Adam is a great guy. Purchased a 53 Eddie Matthews and a 55 Topps Al Kaline. Seventh Inning Stretch, where the old movie theater was is a nice store as well, though I believe they're slightly overpriced but still very nice. Passed by the old Baseball Nostalgia, which sadly is no longer there. It's always a bummer, anytime you lose a longstanding business, but I know the owners are enjoying a nice retirement. I happened to run into one of them very briefly as well.

Another wonderful experience up here. Really have to make it up to induction weekend one of these days.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:22 PM
Charles Jackson

Spent Monday and Tuesday in Cooperstown.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

We got their a little late in the day, so rather than spend the $28 for few hours at the Hall of Fame, we headed to the the Fenimore Art Museum, which we enjoyed.

We also enjoyed all of our meals:
I think our favorite restaurants were the Upstate Bar and Grill--which is huge and has 24 beers on tap and the Hawkeye Bar and Grill at the Otsega Hotel --amazing view of Otsego Lake, a great beer list, and reasonable prices for an upscale place.

Our meals at Doubleday Cafe, Stagecoach Coffee, Schneider's Bakery, and Cooperstown Diner were all tasty as well.

Unfortunately, Ommegang was closed the entire time we were there (they are closed Mondays through Wednesdays), but we were able to get Ommegang on tap at the Upstate Bar and Grill, Hawkeye Bar and Grill, and in cans at Cooperstown Beverage Exchange.

We spent an an entire day at the Hall of Fame. I enjoyed their baseball card exhibit, but thought some of the cards they chose to highlight were fairly random--(1923 Maple Crispette Casey Stengel?). The T206 Wagner they have, if real (it's not graded) has to be worth several million as it is in very good shape. I was really happy to see all of the cool items they had for Roberto Clemente, my favorite player, such as his Cangrejeros de Santurce jersey, and the glowing scouting report Al Campanis made about Clemente in 1952 for the Dodgers.

Thanks again for the great suggestions on what to do. A really beautiful town with a lot of fun things to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220628_112747.jpg (196.6 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg 20220628_134320.jpg (194.9 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by cgjackson222; 06-30-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:40 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I turned them for you.

20220628_112747.jpg20220628_134320.jpg

Campanis wrote his name as "Robert," too. That type of 'Americanizing' his name seems to have simply been a thing back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 06-30-2022 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:20 PM
Rob

Ommegang Brewery is a must....unless you don't like beer.