NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-11-2021, 11:01 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default R 423 backs question

I just purchased a 3 card strip of these from a board member and the backs are black. I have owned Orange and Purple before but not black. Any member or members collect this set and could you help me by listing all the known back colors. I ask because if they are scarce I would like to let the seller know before he ships the cards. (Just trying to be fair)
Thanks in advance.
Jonathan
Old 09-12-2021, 09:40 AM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Here’s a thread about this.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179956

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 09-12-2021, 10:15 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjs View Post
Amazing how you and others can find these threads.

I can never seem to find threads when I need them

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-12-2021, 10:26 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Thank you vey much Ed. Thread helped the strip in question is 3 cards Grove Newhauser and O'Doul the backs apper to be black but I just confirmed with Scott they are Dark Blue. The condition looks to be poor to good. They are listed under the BST under Memorabilia as 3 micro game cards.
I would appreciate if one or more of the R432 Collectors could evaluate the strip and let me know a price range. I would like to make sure my deal with Scott is fair.

Thanks
Jonathan

Last edited by bigfanNY; 09-12-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:13 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Amazing how you and others can find these threads.

I can never seem to find threads when I need them
Are you searching through Google using "site:net54baseball.com" followed by the thing you're searching for? The board search logic is awful, and also omits every 3-letter word or acronym.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:13 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Thank you vey much Ed. Thread helped the strip in question is 3 cards Grove Newhauser and O'Doul the backs apper to be black but I just confirmed with Scott they are Dark Blue. The condition looks to be poor to good. They are listed under the BST under Memorabilia as 3 micro game cards.
I would appreciate if one or more of the R432 Collectors could evaluate the strip and let me know a price range. I would like to make sure my deal with Scott is fair.

Thanks
Jonathan
Regarding pricing, they are not super expensive, at least they haven't been before the pandemic. Also have seen people trying to sell individual ones of stars/HOFers for a few dollars more, but you're still talking way under $100 each IMHO. Believe I've seen a few single ones graded over the years, and people trying to sell and possibly ask/make more money for them that way. Not sure who may may still be grading them, if any TPG still does. They were always valued so little that in the past I figured almost no one would waste the time and expense to have individual R423s graded, as it really wasn't worth it. But again, with the crazy surge in prices, especially for stars/HOFers, during this pandemic, that could start changing as these R423 cards could become more desirable to collectors who can't afford some big star/HOFer cards otherwise.

I would think they are most valuable in their complete 13 card strip form. And as noted in the earlier linked thread, though originally sold folded up accordion style in gumball type machines, there are quite a few of these complete 13 card strips that got out into the hobby unfolded. Would believe these complete, unfolded strips would be the most valuable of all ways to collect these R423 cards. Don't believe I've ever seen a complete 13 card strip graded by any TPG, at least not yet. If I ever was to look to get them graded, I would only try do so as a complete 13 card strip.

Am aware of the different back colors, and have never seen a red one either. Would think that is really just a very dark orange tint on the supposed red ones. And despite the known rarity of other back colors to the most common orange backs, don't really remember ever seeing a premium being charged for the rarer back colors. The cards themselves have always been cheap, at best, and it never behooved dealers to ask more for the rarer colored backs as there was usually so little interest in these cards, and so few who would actually collect them, to begin with. But again, with the craziness from the pandemic, that could be changing going forward.

As for the specific three cards you're talking about, the price mentioned in the BST thread doesn't seem out of line to me. It is not a full strip, shows some wear, and does not include one of the iconic superstars of baseball. It looks to be more than fair. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2021, 07:02 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Bob Thank you for your reply. Exactly the information I was looking for. Much appreciated.
Jonathan
Old 09-13-2021, 11:53 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Are you searching through Google using "site:net54baseball.com" followed by the thing you're searching for? The board search logic is awful, and also omits every 3-letter word or acronym.
Actually I get good results without that whole quoted search phrase. Just google whatever you are looking for and then add net54, without quotes.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:14 PM
Michael

Interesting discussion.....so is this orange/dark orange or orange/red??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220702_190222.jpg (171.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 07-02-2022, 06:00 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybull View Post
Interesting discussion.....so is this orange/dark orange or orange/red??
Based on your side-by-side images, it sure looks like there are separate red and orange backs after all. The red color backs have been so rarely seen or ever mentioned, I think many people simply assumed they were just a darker orange variation due to inconsistences with ink batches most likely.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Actually I get good results without that whole quoted search phrase. Just google whatever you are looking for and then add net54, without quotes.
+1....this s/w search sucks. And that is generally what I do with Google.

Last edited by Leon; 07-02-2022 at 06:35 PM.