NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-27-2021, 10:31 PM

Hello Felipe Duran, I have written to you 3 times in Spanish days ago and the message does not come out, so it is in English, you are right in what you propose to do more and that I think, but there have been delays, the pandemic etc. Regards.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:36 PM

Hello, you ask me which was the first North American team to play in Cuba, to that question I give 2 answers: As appears in a publication of that time, sailors from a merchant ship who were in the port of Matanzas challenged players from Havana for a game and the players from Havana went to Matanzas and played with the North American sailors.This happened in 1868 and I consider it the first international baseball game, now officially in December 1879, a North American team called "Hop Bitter 'and they held matches on the grounds of" El Siboney "or" Tulipan "in Cerro, the meeting was on December 20, 1879.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:15 PM

Hello, you ask me which was the first North American team to play in Cuba, to that question I give 2 answers: As appears in a publication of that time, sailors from a merchant ship who were in the port of Matanzas challenged players from Havana for a game and the players from Havana went to Matanzas and played with the North American sailors.This happened in 1868 and I consider it the first international baseball game, now officially in December 1879, a North American team called "Hop Bitter 'and they held matches on the grounds of" El Siboney "or" Tulipan "in Cerro, the meeting was on December 20, 1879.
Old 02-28-2021, 05:13 PM

Ted Williams and Miikey Mantle in Havana, I answer your question that I now receive, if I have photos of them, from Ted at Stadium La Tropical at home plate at bat, another very interesting from Ted at the bar of the world famous "Sloppy Joe's "This bar-restaurant owes its name to John Mc Graw, who was the one who called it that way and its owner, a Spaniard, gave it that official name, it is a very interesting story but it would take a long time to answer. Of Mantle now I have in my hands a unique photo: Mantle in the box of the Estadio del Cerro preparing to throw the ball (pitcher).
Old 02-28-2021, 08:38 PM
Jack Vernon

Still missing 2 Indians but I know where 1 is

Always looking for Guy Morton but Diaz are tricky
Old 03-01-2021, 11:54 AM
Felipe Duran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland 49 View Post
Hello Felipe Duran, I have written to you 3 times in Spanish days ago and the message does not come out, so it is in English, you are right in what you propose to do more and that I think, but there have been delays, the pandemic etc. Regards.

thanks for the response Rolando...
Old 03-01-2021, 12:28 PM

Hello, Jack Vernon, you are right, the Diaz cards, that I call them by their real name Tomas Gutiérrez are complicated, I had the 136 cards and it took 4 years to complete them, but you have an excellent collection, you say that you are missing 2, in December last on ebay they sold Walter Johnson, Grover Alexander and A. Vance, those were mine, you tell me you are missing # 55. Tell me, what is the other one that you lack?
Old 03-01-2021, 04:02 PM
Jack Vernon

Quote:
Hello, Jack Vernon, you are right, the Diaz cards, that I call them by their real name Tomas Gutiérrez are complicated, I had the 136 cards and it took 4 years to complete them, but you have an excellent collection, you say that you are missing 2, in December last on ebay they sold Walter Johnson, Grover Alexander and A. Vance, those were mine, you tell me you are missing # 55. Tell me, what is the other one that you lack?
I'm looking for #129 Philip Bedgood and as you said #55 Guy Morton

I'm also looking for #5 Pete Donohue as well as upgrades on #83 Joe Shaute, #113 George Metevier and #133 Byron Speece

That's incredible that you had a full set, I only thought one existed that sold in the '90s

Last edited by Seiklis; 03-01-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:21 PM

Hello everyone, now I connected to ebay cuban baseball and I see that my catalog was sold last Saturday, I am sure that the winner is one of the participants in this thread, known to me previously or the new ones that I am getting to know, the winner of Now I do not know when you will receive the book since it is a shipment from Spain, at the moment this is the last that you will see, the 3 bought by American collectors, For me it is a satisfaction that the first is in the hands of Steve Peissig, since we have Previous contacts and I know that he is a great connoisseur of Cuban cards, the others do not know who they are, but I am sure that they are also knowledgeable and will have it as a guide of what they know and what they have never seen in terms of Cuban cards.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:23 PM
Val Kehl

Rolando, I collect 1924 Tomas Gutiérrez (Diaz) cards of Washington Senators pitchers. The cards I have are pictured below. I am looking for any that I don't have, such as Marberry, Mogridge & Zahniser, and upgrades of my worst-condition cards. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1924 Diaz- WaJo - front.jpg (64.5 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 Diaz - Martina & McGrew - fronts.jpg (77.2 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 Diaz - Ogden - front.jpg (77.8 KB, 496 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 Diaz - Speece - front.jpg (58.0 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 Diaz - Wingfield - Front.jpg (80.3 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 Diaz - #100 Russell - front - close up.jpg (72.6 KB, 494 views)
File Type: jpg 1924 Diaz - #76 Zachary - front - close up.jpg (79.0 KB, 498 views)
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:31 PM

Default Kenny Cole

Hi Kenny Cole now I connected to the thread and I read your message that you won the catalog I am very happy since we have been in contact for some time, I have not received any recent message through Clem, he is a great person and very helpful, but with a lot He works and constantly receives emails and they accumulate and he delays in answering them, a few days ago he was sick and an email that I sent him told me that he would send them in a few days when he was better in health, he had had to go to the hospital, he answered that already I was better, the last email from you to me, I answered you right away, I don't know if you received it, this was I think more than a week ago, I answered your questions; Yes, I have separated the Mallorquinas cards, Cabañas, the Alejandro Oms postcards from 1919, the 1920 ones, the Cuban Stars, etc., The Mallorquinas from W. Foster and Lloyd, when you asked I no longer had them, when I received your message from Clem I answer you through him, greetings
Old 03-02-2021, 12:17 PM

Default Jack Vernon

Hello Jack, now I see your message, yesterday when I answered the previous one, I saw the message but the photos you sent did not come out, now I see them and I tell you that of the 6 that I see, 3 were mine about 5 years ago, so you have something that was mine at one time, of the missing cards I think I have nothing, I'm going to look, and take note.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:05 PM

Default Kenny Cole

Kenny I have a question about your last email, I wrote you yesterday, but there is something I need you to answer me, Mallorquinas and Cabañas ok. postcard 1918 Oms and team ok. J.F. 1921 Cubans Star autographed ok. The question I have is in the 1921 postcard of Champion Mesa and team, the latter yes or no, answer me here, the rest are no problem, I have not received the emails you mentioned, greetings.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:38 PM

Default Val Kehl

Hello, Val Kehl, now I am looking at the cards in your collection, you have good cards and the main one in the collection, I now take note of what is missing, at the moment I do not have any of them, if I find any I will let you know . Greetings
Old 03-03-2021, 11:11 AM

Default Joe

Hello Joe, now looking for other things I found a form where Kevin Connor appears that I had not mentioned to you, it is from Bohemla magazine, large size: 18.5 "× 12". It is in color with all the players who won the championship 48-49. Now an anecdote, when Irvin was at my house I showed it to him to sign it, he had never seen it and he asked me to get him one, the next day I looked and found it, when he made the next visit I gave it to him I saw it very happy and told me that he was going to put it in a frame at his house, in that form Irvin and Connor appear side by side
Old 03-03-2021, 08:31 PM

Default Album Tomas Gutiérrez

Hello, my answer is yes, those leaves that you see in Cuban ebay belong to the luxury album of Tomás Gutiérrez, it is unfortunate that they find it mutilated finger by finger so to speak, that tobacco manufacturer gave away the postcards when buying the pack and for To get the album you had to take the entire collection to the factory and they gave you the album, all of them are of such rarity, I don't know how many it printed, but I have had 3 of different years in my hands, all of them have unique characteristics.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:56 PM

Default Babe Ruth on Cubans Cards

Babe Ruth on Cuban cards. I answer you that where the image of Babe Ruth first appeared was in 1924 in the printed album of Tomas Gutiérrez, to obtain this album it was necessary to deliver the complete collection of the 136 pitchers in the factory. In my catalog on the Tomas Gutiérrez Major League 1924 collection page appears the album cover and the page corresponding to New York and we see Babe and all the team members in individual photos, In 1930 Ruth also appears in the Chocolate Baguer collection in a card to stick in the album, in Montiel Collections 1946-47 with # 41 appears Babe, to stick in the album.u
Old 03-04-2021, 06:28 PM
octavio ranzola

Default Hola rolando

Octavio gracias por todo mi amigo..looking for my first type cuban card.As a fellow cuban ,,would love to own a hall of famer ,,gracias octavio
Old 03-05-2021, 01:22 PM

Hello Octavio, in your message that I did not understand well, I think you mentioned to me about the Hall of Fame, in Cuba the Hall was created in 1939, some time after the one in the United States, from 1939 to 1961, 68 members were exalted, but at the end Professional Baseball in Cuba stopped working, in 2014 we met a group of 12 people between journalists and historians and after 3 months preparing the regulations etc. We put it to work again, 10 were exalted, from the professional stage 5 and the National Series 5, the exaltation took place in December 2014 with a historic act before starting the All-Star Game. Orestes Miñoso, Camilo Pascual, Conrado Marrero, A. Maestri, Esteban Bellan who played in the leagues in the United States in the 19th century were exalted, there is much to write about this since I was from the first moment in the group of 12. Greetings
Old 03-06-2021, 12:53 PM

Default Octavio

Hello Octavio, now I see that you read the thread, I will tell you something more about the Hall of Fame of Cuba, in his first election they were 10, the first one that appears on the plaque is Bustamante, Jose Mendez, Cristobal Torriente, also Marsan, Almeida etc. , the first plaque was made of bronze and was placed in the Estadio de la Tropical, when the Great Stadium of Havana was inaugurated it was replaced by a marble plaque, and every year the names of the new members were included in bronze letters, that plaque was restored a few months ago along with another plaque of the players who went to the War of Independence of 1895, this plaque was inaugurated in 1948, on December 29, 2020, in an act to celebrate the date of "Dia del Baseball "were unveiled on one of the walls of the Estádium, and after the restoration they recovered all their splendor, that day 29, the date of the first" Official Game "is commemorated when Habana and Almendares inaugurated the first Cuban championship with a game. in 187 8.
Old 03-07-2021, 03:40 PM

Default Punch 1910

Hello, you tell me to answer you on the thread. "Punch" 1910. You say that you saw the images in my catalog on ebay, now I answer you, In the list of the known cards appear, since perhaps there are more, some of the players who played in the series do not appear in the collection and the answer is: the cards were not made or until now none have appeared, but they could appear in the future. This collection is of great rarity. Another of your questions I answer, I show two Chicho González cards because they are both different, in one of them the letters are printed in block letters and in the other handwritten, in one it says Pitcher and in the other not, this variation appears in several, but I put Chicho because of the anecdote that he threw Ty Cobb in a game 3 times and he always dominated it. In 1910 when Detroit and Philadelphia played the series with Habana and Almendares there are many things to tell, two Cigarette Factories had a relationship with these teams "Punch" and "Larrañaga" I will tell you this and other things in another message.
Old 03-08-2021, 11:25 AM
Mark

Default Caramelo Deportivo

I do have a question.
I have a complete set of the 1945-46 Caramelo Deportivo set minus the three big negro leaguers and Reyes.

My question is, has there ever been a definitive answer to how the Reyes card was distributed?

I love the set because it was really the only baseball card set issued in 1945.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuban11.jpg (42.7 KB, 427 views)
File Type: jpg cuban21.jpg (77.9 KB, 433 views)
Old 03-08-2021, 05:28 PM

Default Marcos

Hello Marcos, you ask me about Napoleon Reyes from "Felice" 1945, now I answer you, in my specialized catalog on the page corresponding to that series I give the whole answer with 4 Napoleon cards scanned in all their variants, but I will tell you that this card is very rare, when the series came out the news was given that there was a card that would be the prize that the factory would give to all who presented it, for a long time many collectors completed 99 cards and all of them lacked # 73, then they began to appear with some characteristics: 1- the normal card that is to say with the face of Reyes. 2- The card with a stamp that said "Exclusively to collect" 3-The card with a stamp that said "Exclusively to collect" and underneath another stamp that said "No premium" 4- The premium card that was the most important and rare, the card had a quadrangular stamp that reads: "Candy Packing Company, address and telephone number and the manager's signature." There were very few of the premium, but also in any of the variants that I mentioned.
Old 03-09-2021, 05:24 PM

Default Punch 1910 (2)

Hello now I'm still with him Comment of the factories "Punch and Larrañaga" as we all know the first gift with cards of the players inside their cigarette packs, the cigarette manager Larrañaga in a meeting with the visiting players announced that if they beat Habana in the series and Almendares, they had an invitation to the factory and I would give them gifts, the Tigres won the series against the Cubans, but the Athletics lost, at the end of the series all the Detroit players went to the Larrañaga Factory, now I have a photo in front of me Of all of them dressed very elegantly with some of the gifts that were large bundles of the best cigars, Ty Cobb is seen smiling in front of them. Of that American series I know many anectdotes, but I will tell you some: Ty Cobb in that series could never steal any base, but in a game 3 times he tried but Bruce Petway took him out on two occasions and the third was Gervasio González, Cobb is Once he protested saying that the base was at a greater distance, then the judges sent to measure and it was found that he was 3 "further away, he immediately put himself in his place, but the out decision remained, Cobb in his first game hitting home. Rum, Mendez struck him out once, Chicho González removed him 3 times in a row without Cobb getting on base and in that game Chicho blanked Detroit. Pop Lloyd, in the series against Detroit he used shinguards on his legs, he said he saw the players sharpening the spikes and throwing themselves hard In another message I will continue and tell you how the first cards from this factory appeared and how they were collected according to how they appeared in 1983, which was when the first ones were seen.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:04 PM

Default Punch 1910 (3)

Hello, I continue the above, as a collector of various things except baseball in 1983 I was appointed a member of the Havana Philately Club, there we met on Saturdays and Sundays, and among the collectors we made exchanges, one day one of the partners appeared with 5 White sheets but with damp spots on the bottom, 4 of the sheets had postage stamps, but the one who glued those stamps stuck them in the shape of a "T" on all the sheets, above in ink on 2 of the sheets they wrote Cuba and in the other 2 Spain because they were stamps from those countries, in the other above it said "Punch" because they were images of players, the stamps were emissions from 1908-1911 but they were very common stamps and nobody was interested, he asked for each sheet $ 5, when they were in my hands I saw something new for me which were the baseball cards, on that sheet stuck in the shape of a "T" there were about 20, I returned the sheets and when about 2 hours passed and saw that no one got them I bought the rebates at $ 1 per cad A leaf, but neither me nor anyone, then before leaving he looked at us all annoyed and tore all the leaves and put them in the trash can, nobody collected baseball cards, but weeks later I realized the mistake I made. Years later, as a collector, some cards began to appear, but those from 1910 were very rare, in that year there were no baseball collectors and when those cards were in the packs, smokers who were not interested in baseball at that time threw them on the floor, To the one who was interested, I pasted them like the story I did before, on one occasion years ago they brought me 11 cards, the collector pasted them on the album, but one next to the other without leaving space between them despite the fact that the album had the didujo of the separate paintings, a few years ago a friend called me to go to his house to see some "Punch" cards, the collector in 1910 pasted them on a newspaper sheet from that year and folded the page, it is a miracle that when that folded sheet would not vote for it, and among the postcards on that sheet was Ty Cobb.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:37 PM

Default Punch 1910 (4)

Hello, the cards that were on the newspaper page when they were taken off I took them to my house to scan them, then I returned them to my friend but he did not sell them to me, some time later I saw them on ebay, Ty Cobb's card was sold well. These were the last I saw, after that none have appeared. I think that in 1910 around 20% of the smokers kept them, some pasted them in the album, others pasted them as described above, while those who saved it were alive, maybe 15% kept them in an envelope or inside a book. , from 1910 to 1983 when I saw the first ones, that is, 73 years, those cards were in the hands of children, grandchildren or their children, in all these years almost all of them surely disappeared, for no interest of the heirs, perhaps 1% of these cards remain, in that% are those that have appeared and some that I hope could appear. So far this is my answer to what you asked me about the "Punch", in the next one is my answer to your questions about the "Cabaña" which by the way these were the first ones I bought and had.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:49 PM

Default Cabañas 1909 (1)

Hello, I answer you through the thread because it is your wish, the questions of the 1909 "Cabañas Cigars" cards, Los Tigres after winning the American League and losing the world series came to Cuba to hold several meetings with Habana and Almendares, and The cards were printed for them, as shown in my catalog only the names of the cards that are known appear, I know 8 players from Almendares but perhaps more of them were made, but so far they have not appeared the same happens with the Havana cards , which if it is certain is the 12 of the Detroit team since I show you the original sheet before printing with the faces of the 11 players and the umpire, there are variations for example Luis Bustamante has 3 different cards in terms of the information that It appears in the description at the bottom, the same happens with Heliodoro Hidalgo, and in the 12 of Detroit the lower bar that identifies the player has a different design, that is, there are 24 cards of the T igres because this variation appears in all of them, they are the first known Cuban baseball cards, and of great rarity. The series was won by the Cubans 4-2, and the game on November 18 was something impressive since Bombin Pedroso in 11 innin who acted as a pitcher did not allow the Tigers a hit. Later I will continue because now I have to charge the battery of the mobile.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:11 PM
Seth

Rolando, thanks for all of this information, this is the sort of thread that makes Net54 special! I have some Billikens and one Cabanas, and I love the aesthetic of Cuban cards. I would be delighted to hear when your book becomes available for sale.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:41 PM

Default Seth

Hello Seth, you say that this is the type of thread that makes net54 special, I try to answer the questions as completely as possible, there is something very important to me which is the history of baseball, all the cards tell a story, in the "Cabañas Cigars and" Punch "is the history of the American series that took place every year in Cuba, each card is part of history. For example, in the 1910 series there are the cards of Ty Cobb and" Pop "Lloyd, two of the greats of all time but there are more, Major League Baseball players and Black League players, who played historical and friendly matches in Cuba, you say you have a Cabañas Cigar postcard, so with that single card you have in your collection part of the history of those parties of 1909, from my point of view all cards have the same historical value, be it a Ty Cobb card or the most unknown of the series, this has nothing to do with the value cad commercial On the card, I thank you for finding my writings in a guiding way.As for the question you ask me about my catalog, I will tell you that due to covid19, there have been delays, so far there are only 10 printed copies, 3 of them are in the United States, and all are in the hands of net54 members, I think when the situation will normalize and the 3 volumes are printed with some copies in Spanish, start printing in English with more copies, now I have I have to go out in my car, when I return I will continue with what I left unfinished yesterday from the 1909 cards, I will tell you interesting things.
Old 03-13-2021, 04:49 PM

Default Cabañas 1909 (2)

Now continue, Pedroso despite not allowing a hit in the 11 innings, allowed a run by mistake in shooting by Cabañas to first and O'Loughlin the umpire despite the protests of the public declared the run valid, and the match was tied, In the 11 innings, Cabañas at bat retaliated for his mistake in the outside and with a man in third he touched the ball (squeese play) and the game was over, the supporters of Almendares organized a money collection for Bombin Pedroso and the president of Cuba José Miguel Gómez and his son who was also president years later also contributed, the Detroit players, George Mullin and O'Leary also gave their monetary contribution in recognition of the great game launched by Pedroso, $ 300 was raised and Bombin Pedroso looked very happy. Days after the end of this series, an "All Stars" team arrived in Cuba to hold several meetings with the Cubans. These American Series were held in Cuba every year and in them the greats of Major League Baseball participated, including Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Ted Williams and many more, in those games the best faced the best of Cuba and of the Negro Leagues that played in the Habana and Almendares teams, that is why I believe that all those games are part of the history of baseball in Cuba and also in the United States, the collections of cards from 1909 and 1910 show us this history and each card it is part of it. We will continue with the Cabañas Cigars cards, very interesting anecdotes of how they appeared in the 1980s, now I take a break to continue later.
Old 03-14-2021, 06:28 PM

Default Cabañas 1909 (3)

Now I continue with the "Cabañas Cigars" cards. Now I am going to tell you something that may not interest you but everything is related. My father when I was a child took me every Sunday to the Cerro stadium to watch the double game and see my team that was Almendares, he knew many players and that is why I met many when he introduced them to me, one day I see that an older man touches his shoulder and immediately I see that they greeted each other in a friendly way and talked at the end, my father tells me: Rolo, I introduce you to my friend "El Pajaro Cabrera" we greet each other but I was somewhat confused. my father: why do they call him "bird" he immediately replies "because he was flying between the bases." Now we continue, in the 80s as I told you in previous writings I collected various things, one day a neighbor called me on the phone and told me that he had something to show me, I told him to bring it to my house, when he arrived I see that he brings one Old shoe box, when he opens it I see that it is full of cards, that I did not collect, he tells me there are about 400, I begin to review them and I see that it has many themes and they are from the "Cabañas Cigars" factory. film artists and a collection of patriots from the 1895 War of Independence including Jose Marti and all the generals etc this was all in relief and gold color, when I continue I see a group in blue, red and gray colors, but I see that they are baseball players, I was not interested, and in that reading the names I see that a card said: Alfredo "Pajaro" Cabrera, at that moment I remembered the meeting I had had with him several decades ago, and at that moment I felt a certain interest for those cards, I ask him What was the price and I bought them, those were the first Cuban baseball cards that I had, they were among the 3 teams about 50 but some were repeated, that's why I explained to you at the beginning that this story is related, I asked the neighbor where He had found them and he told me that when he was passing by the corner he saw another of the neighbors who was going to throw that box along with other things in the garbage container on the corner and he asked him why he voted for those boxes and books and he replied, those
Old 03-14-2021, 07:52 PM
Seth

Quote:
Now I continue with the "Cabañas Cigars" cards. Now I am going to tell you something that may not interest you but everything is related. My father when I was a child took me every Sunday to the Cerro stadium to watch the double game and see my team that was Almendares, he knew many players and that is why I met many when he introduced them to me, one day I see that an older man touches his shoulder and immediately I see that they greeted each other in a friendly way and talked at the end, my father tells me: Rolo, I introduce you to my friend "El Pajaro Cabrera" we greet each other but I was somewhat confused. my father: why do they call him "bird" he immediately replies "because he was flying between the bases." Now we continue, in the 80s as I told you in previous writings I collected various things, one day a neighbor called me on the phone and told me that he had something to show me, I told him to bring it to my house, when he arrived I see that he brings one Old shoe box, when he opens it I see that it is full of cards, that I did not collect, he tells me there are about 400, I begin to review them and I see that it has many themes and they are from the "Cabañas Cigars" factory. film artists and a collection of patriots from the 1895 War of Independence including Jose Marti and all the generals etc this was all in relief and gold color, when I continue I see a group in blue, red and gray colors, but I see that they are baseball players, I was not interested, and in that reading the names I see that a card said: Alfredo "Pajaro" Cabrera, at that moment I remembered the meeting I had had with him several decades ago, and at that moment I felt a certain interest for those cards, I ask him What was the price and I bought them, those were the first Cuban baseball cards that I had, they were among the 3 teams about 50 but some were repeated, that's why I explained to you at the beginning that this story is related, I asked the neighbor where He had found them and he told me that when he was passing by the corner he saw another of the neighbors who was going to throw that box along with other things in the garbage container on the corner and he asked him why he voted for those boxes and books and he replied, those
Great story, Rolando. I always thought, if only Ty Cobb had not decided to stay home in the States, but had traveled with the team to Cuba in 1909, and they had made a Cabanas of him in that set--that has got to be one of the most valuable pre-war baseball cards never to have been made!
Old 03-15-2021, 04:33 PM

Default Cabañas 1909 (4)

We continue what happened yesterday. When my neighbor asks him the reason for what he was voting in the garbage container, he replies that it was his grandfather's things who had died many years ago and his father always wanted to keep it but when his father died days ago, all those books and He was not interested in boxes and took up a lot of space, and he also told him that the day before he released an album with cards and several books. Perhaps if I had not seen Cabrera's card, I would not have been interested either, everything narrated was true, and that has happened many times that is why when I comment on the 1910 postcards, I put examples and% that I think are quite close to reality Since most of those cards were lost for different reasons, the 50 "Cabañas" cards in the shoe box were in perfect condition, perhaps in the more than 70 years that they were in that box, nobody touched them, and those They are in collections of some of you, I have never seen them so perfect again, several years ago that none of that series has passed through my hands, but I trust that at some point one will appear.
Old 03-15-2021, 08:47 PM

Default Seth

Hello Seth, I think the same if Ty Cobb had come in 1909 with Detroit, they would have made his card for him because they made it to everyone who came, and that card was one of the most sought after of all Cuban cards. Now I am going to ask a question to all who follow this thread, How many of the collectors of the "Cabañas Cigars" cards have the cards of: Pete Hill, "Pop" Lloyd and Grant (Home Run) Johnson. I would like to have an answer.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:31 PM
Kenny Cole

I know of only one person who has those cards. He has a Punch Lloyd and Grant Johnson, and both a Cabanas and Punch Hill.

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 03-15-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:15 PM

Default Kenny Cole

Hi Kenny, thanks for the answer, the collector that you know has super cards, we Cubans say he has "cream of the cream" all of those are very rare from Lloyd's of 1910, I only have 2 scanned. The questions continue, the previous one of the cards of those players from 1909 and for all those who follow this thread, I ask them about the cards "Cigars La Eminencia" 1920 and "Cigars Gener" 1925, if anyone has any of these and can I to inform, for me it is important, they are very rare, Kenny knows them because he has my catalog and they are detailed in it.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:50 PM
Travis Wise

Default Cigars La Eminencia

I have this example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210317_143410.jpg (68.0 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210317_143431.jpg (68.4 KB, 269 views)
Old 03-17-2021, 02:00 PM

Hello everyone, I decided to publish what you will read below that although it does not have to do with the cards but perhaps someone in this thread might be interested, it deals with the history of Cuban baseball and in part that of baseball in the United States. Two days ago on Monday, March 15, I received an invitation to an act of placing 2 marble slabs in the Cerro stadium, one of them, a continuation of the one that was placed in 1948 in tribute to the players who participated in the War of Independence against Spanish colonialism in 1895, and this contains some names that in years of research have been discovered and are now in the new tarja, the other is dedicated to the first women who played baseball in Cuba, from the precursor Elena E. In 1881, even the players who belonged to women's baseball teams on the island in 1947, mention that it has to do with baseball in the USA, since in the names that appear there are 6 Cuban women who in Cooperstown are on permanent exhibition than in 1987 it was mounted to honor the AAGPLB women's teams.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:32 PM

Default Travis Wise

Hi Travis, thank you for the copy of the "La Eminencia Cigars" card. I tell you that you have one of the rarest cards I know, many years ago they brought me 2 copies of that card along with a postcard with all the team players , I scanned them and if you saw days ago when my specialized catalog was on ebay, that the seller put that sample sheet next to the postcard, those cards are from 1920 when the Cienfuegos Star, won the amateur league that year, I think that They printed cards for all the players, and for other players from the teams that played that championship and from players from the professional league, but everything is a mystery, I think that in the future more will appear, in the postcard where 12 of the players appear. Esquivel, who was the pitcher, is seen with that same uniform and almost in the same position with the glove, that card is rarer than one of Charleston or Mendez in Billiken because the latter have passed close to my hands. of 10, and of Esquivel only 2, I congratulate you because you have a very rare card.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:24 AM

Default Travis Wise

Hi Travis, now I see the postcard that I have as a sample in my catalog and I see that your card is very well centered, mine is not well centered, the left edge has less margin than the right, that is, they are from different sheets, mine has fewer spots.
Old 03-18-2021, 12:23 PM
Travis Wise

Default Noticed that

I noticed that and find it odd that others haven't surfaced as they should be from separate sheets as you mentioned.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:31 PM

Default Butch

Hello Butch, now I see your message, in Cuban card and board games there are several, in my catalog Volume 2, I list the ones I know, I will mention some: "Cafe El Lider game" "Romeo deck game" "Play Ball game "" Game Decks Balls House Vasallo "this last one of Happy Candy, 'Game Beisbolito" in Parchis games there were several I have in my collection 3 different ones, "Martin's Baseball Game," I can show you some image, the problem is that no I know how to do it, my connection with net54 is with my mobile phone, sometimes it is difficult for me since the letters are small, I need you or anyone who sees this thread to guide me, when I send the messages I do not see anything that say attach files etc. i am new to net54, greetings.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:41 PM

Default Jason

Hello Jason, the image you send me from the 1993 manual, I tell you that I have never seen it, for me it is very important to know the unknown, and I do not know that book, thank you, since today I learned something.
Old 03-19-2021, 03:55 PM

I am honored to have found something you have not seen before. Below is a link to an article Roberto Echevarria wrote about the manual. Includes images of the rest of the book

https://rialta.org/manual-de-beisbol...spiritus-1893/
Old 03-19-2021, 04:58 PM

Hello, for all the images of the games I have answers since I have all of them and some repeated, a while ago I arrived at my house, today I had a somewhat complicated day, but I am back, a while ago I sent a message to Jason and I did it from the hospital where one of my children is a specialist, now I go with you partly because I have to look in the boxes of the games to see the data you ask me, when I send the previous message what I saw are many faces but no I saw what you tell me about the clip for the photos, explain again. "La Baraja Pelotera" the author is Roger J. Vega I have the registration numbers R.G and R.P. and Patent Pend. USES. one is from 1948 and the other in 1949, what you show is propaganda, the game consists of 104 cards divided into 52 pitchers and 52 batters, it has a long sheet with the field of play, some round buttons to put on the bases etc. I have 3 different in color of the boxes and difference in the cards etc. later I continue.
Old 03-19-2021, 09:18 PM

Default Jason

Hello Jason, now I see that you sent me some writings about the book, I only read the beginning because it is quite extensive but I see that it has to do with González Herrevaria, therefore it is surely very interesting and I will leave it for tomorrow, González was in Havana Before editing The Pride of Havana, on that occasion we could not see each other, but years later a friend of mine from the early 60s, Miguel A. Sanchez, at the time we played chess, on one of his visits to Cuba came to my house To request data for one of his next books, we remember that time when we both worked on the technical part of the World Chess Olympiad in Havana in 1966, as Inspector and I as Prosecutor, of the times I had some quick conversations with the United States champion, Robert "Bobby" Fischer, on some occasions my friends would give me anything for Fischer to sign, and talking about that with my friend he sees Echevarria's book, and he tells me that they are friends, and I had contact for him To through email, with González Hechevarria a few years ago he wrote to me and told me about an upcoming trip to Cuba and that when he got there, where he was going to go first was to my house, but he couldn't come to Cuba at that time.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:40 AM

This photo was of a deserved tribute to Heberto Blanco in 1998, from left to right Asdrubal Baro, Daniel Parra, Heberto Blanco, Rolando Sanchez, and Luis Zayas, all of them good friends of mine, the first three appear in the Cuban card collections, I I stay next to Heberto because he wanted it to be like that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Heberto Blanco Hom.1998.jpg (72.8 KB, 229 views)
Old 03-20-2021, 05:34 PM

Now I send you an image of the baseball game, if you see them you let me know, the photo I sent of Heberto Blanco, it came out by chance I send the messages in another way now I am going to try as you say.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:47 PM

This is a photo of one of the times when Monte Irvin was at my house in 2004,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Irvin y Rolando.jpg (73.8 KB, 223 views)
Old 03-21-2021, 11:38 AM

Default Jason

Hello Jason, now I saw the whole message you sent me about the 1893 manual, everything that appears very interesting, from what I read, you have a great collection, the book "The Nine Zeros in Cuba" by An Old Aficionado, 1878-1911 , you got it? "The Base Ball in Cuba" 1889 by Wenselao Galvez, "The Monarch and his Prowess" by Horacio Roqueta, 1920 from Babe Ruth's visit to Cuba in 1920, do you have them? In González Echevarria's comment he mentions Felix Julio Alfonso, this great friend of mine and author of several very important books on the history of baseball in Cuba, his specialty is the 19th century, two days ago he called me and today he will call me again. because you need some photos of Torriente, Mendez and Dihigo for a new book. Greetings Jason, I await your response.