NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-04-2021, 02:10 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezez420 View Post
And expect it to go a lot higher. This card is a $50k card

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like you are going to be right. I collect racing cards, but I admit to being somewhat oblivious to how high the Brown card could go if one appeared at auction.
Old 04-04-2021, 03:09 PM
P.aul Orl,in

How many Browns are out there? Only four graded, but there have to be a bunch in sets and collections out there not graded. Any roll calls? I need it for my set, but not paying this for it.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:44 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

There aren’t many out there at all. The card is a short print along with CP Rodgers. Both died during the release. The card is as rare or rarer than the McKinley and Weightlifter Card

Old 04-04-2021, 05:28 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I picked up a type card tonight from an extremely rare racing game dating to either 1937 or 1938. I had never even seen an example of the cards before, but a seller listed 46 different cards in individual auctions from what was obviously a board game. The game contains driver cards from all the stars of the day and many of the past Indianapolis 500 winners.

I occasionally do eBay searches of the some of the early Indy winners, and had never seen even seen a driver type card from the game prior to the past few days. The cards are intriguing, since the that era is such a black hole of racing cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-193...p2047675.l2557

I mostly struck out trying to find additional information on the game via a Google search. I could not find even a single past sale of the game or any of the driver cards. Surprisingly, the only additional information I was able to find through Google came via a Beckett checklist for the game that shows 48 different cards.

https://www.beckett.com/racing/1937/...-indy-500-game
Old 04-04-2021, 05:32 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

After making payment for the Frank Lockhart card I won, I wrote the eBay seller asking if he could provide any additional information on the game and its cards. The seller did not know a lot, but he did have some interesting information:

"I purchased the cards several years ago, hoping to find the game that accompanied them but only recently was able to figure out what the game was. I had all of the information on a Word file on my computer and, just yesterday, my hard drive failed; and, to make matters worse, my back-up disk (external drive) was somehow wiped clean. I believe I was able to piece together information on the game from the results of an auction house and from a copy of the game at Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum that I located through wikimedia. Here's the link.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...board_game.jpg

eBay sometimes removes links from communications between members so do a Google search for '1938 Indy 500 board game.' Look at images on the search and it should be on the right hand side of the fourth row down.

It would appear to be an exceptionally rare game that, to the best of my knowledge, has only sold once at auction.

Sadly, I purchased the cards so long ago that I no longer know where I did so. In the 1990s, I would go antiquing in Ohio and Indiana so it seems likely that it was on one of those trips. I just can't be sure."

Last edited by Bored5000; 04-04-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-04-2021, 09:04 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
There aren’t many out there at all. The card is a short print along with CP Rodgers. Both died during the release. The card is as rare or rarer than the McKinley and Weightlifter Card
It looks like both the Brown and Rodgers cards are equally rare with 4 or so PSA graded examples. What is the reason for the Brown card currently selling for so much more than the Rodgers? Is it because he is an auto racer rather than an aviator, or is it something else?
Old 04-04-2021, 10:31 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

There are more Rodgers which are in SGC holders. There are only 4 Browns I believe out there.

Old 04-04-2021, 11:08 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
There are more Rodgers which are in SGC holders. There are only 4 Browns I believe out there.
The SGC population report is not the easiest to use, but I am seeing 2 Browns and 3 Rodgers as being graded to go along with 4 of each in the PSA population report.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:59 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

I believe both browns in PSA holders now

Old 06-19-2021, 09:34 AM
Jamie

The Bruce Brown SGC A just sold on Hunt for I believe 18K (before premium).
Old 06-19-2021, 11:52 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Went for $21,150 for an ugly Authentic missing bottom left corner. Just further solidifies the scarcity and rarity of the card.

If someone is interested in the PSA 2 or the set it will be available at the National.

Old 08-15-2021, 08:09 PM
Kin K.

Eddie,

Which of these cards did you pick up. I remember seeing these on eBay and just couldn't go strong at the time. I just wanted a type card myself.

I haven't been on N54 much but am once again shifting my focus back toward the vintage Indy 500 stuff. One of my biggest shortcomings in my inability to focus. I've still been slowly picking up some of the vintage cards and I assume have been bidding against some other members.

Hope all is well!
-kin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I picked up a type card tonight from an extremely rare racing game dating to either 1937 or 1938. I had never even seen an example of the cards before, but a seller listed 46 different cards in individual auctions from what was obviously a board game. The game contains driver cards from all the stars of the day and many of the past Indianapolis 500 winners.

I occasionally do eBay searches of the some of the early Indy winners, and had never seen even seen a driver type card from the game prior to the past few days. The cards are intriguing, since the that era is such a black hole of racing cards.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-193...p2047675.l2557

I mostly struck out trying to find additional information on the game via a Google search. I could not find even a single past sale of the game or any of the driver cards. Surprisingly, the only additional information I was able to find through Google came via a Beckett checklist for the game that shows 48 different cards.

https://www.beckett.com/racing/1937/...-indy-500-game
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 08-16-2021, 03:11 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beansballcardblog View Post
Eddie,

Which of these cards did you pick up. I remember seeing these on eBay and just couldn't go strong at the time. I just wanted a type card myself.

I haven't been on N54 much but am once again shifting my focus back toward the vintage Indy 500 stuff. One of my biggest shortcomings in my inability to focus. I've still been slowly picking up some of the vintage cards and I assume have been bidding against some other members.

Hope all is well!
-kin
I picked up Frank Lockhart. I wanted a 500 winner as my type card. Lockhart is interesting story, having won the Indy 500 and setting a land speed record before dying on another land speed record attempt (the video is on YouTube).

I know it is not vintage, but I have been following the Topps Formula 1 releases of the past year. Many of the auction prices, especially for Hamilton and Verstappen, are mind blowing to me. I have not picked up any of those cards yet, but I will. Even prices of early Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher cards from the 1980s and '90s have exploded over the past year.

I picked up a Mulford T227 card, which I have wanted for a while, recently from a board member. I have also started working on a T36 basic set. I currently at 10/25 cards on that.

Happy to see you are still around and still collecting racing.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-16-2021 at 03:18 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:31 PM
Kin K.

I haven't gotten much into the F! because honestly, I just don't find the racing interesting. I bought a Lewis Hamilton refractor on COMC, so I might have it by 2025.

I'm in the Montgomery Club, so I also have a box of the F1 Sapphire. I may open it, or if prices rise I might sell it. Not really sure.

Congrats on the T227 Mulford. I was able to get one last year and will probably pick up more if I happen to see them.

We should chat on the T36 cards. I am at 69/100 on the master set and have at least a dozen multiples. Maybe I have one or two you need.

I'm definitely still around. Like my actual collecting, I have trouble with focus on sites. I used to write, but now I am mostly on YouTube. I've really neglected Net54 and TCDB over the last 2-3 years but am starting to get back to it.

Hopefully I stay focused this time. I've discovered that I just don't care much for current sports or cards, so hopefully I've gotten to the point I can achieve focus.

-kin

Quote:
I picked up Frank Lockhart. I wanted a 500 winner as my type card. Lockhart is interesting story, having won the Indy 500 and setting a land speed record before dying on another land speed record attempt (the video is on YouTube).

I know it is not vintage, but I have been following the Topps Formula 1 releases of the past year. Many of the auction prices, especially for Hamilton and Verstappen, are mind blowing to me. I have not picked up any of those cards yet, but I will. Even prices of early Ayrton Senna and Michael Schumacher cards from the 1980s and '90s have exploded over the past year.

I picked up a Mulford T227 card, which I have wanted for a while, recently from a board member. I have also started working on a T36 basic set. I currently at 10/25 cards on that.

Happy to see you are still around and still collecting racing.

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 08-17-2021, 01:28 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
I haven't gotten much into the F! because honestly, I just don't find the racing interesting. I bought a Lewis Hamilton refractor on COMC, so I might have it by 2025.

I'm in the Montgomery Club, so I also have a box of the F1 Sapphire. I may open it, or if prices rise I might sell it. Not really sure.

Congrats on the T227 Mulford. I was able to get one last year and will probably pick up more if I happen to see them.

We should chat on the T36 cards. I am at 69/100 on the master set and have at least a dozen multiples. Maybe I have one or two you need.

I'm definitely still around. Like my actual collecting, I have trouble with focus on sites. I used to write, but now I am mostly on YouTube. I've really neglected Net54 and TCDB over the last 2-3 years but am starting to get back to it.

Hopefully I stay focused this time. I've discovered that I just don't care much for current sports or cards, so hopefully I've gotten to the point I can achieve focus.

-kin
You're not wrong about the excitement level of F1, but I have started to get into what is out there historically for the all-time greats of the series. I am not much of a modern collector, but I do think the Topps Chrome/Sapphire cards are really nice. I think there is upside possibility with Lewis Hamilton cards, especially if he does get an eighth championship. I also think the same about some of the F2 autograph cards that can be had for very little.

I was mistaken earlier. I am actually at 11/25 on the T36 set. I am just putting together a set of 25 drivers in G/VG condition. The drivers I have so far are Chevrolet, Christie, DePalma, Dingley, Fournier, Janatzy, Michener, Nazzaro, Oldfield, Robertson and Szisz

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-17-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 10:13 PM
Kin K.

My spares might be on the lower end. My set building method is getting one of each card (so long as the price is right) and then upgrading later. Actually just got a couple in yesterday that were upgrades.

With them not coming available that often, I had to make some adjustments to what I'm doing in order to keep adding to the collection.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:48 PM
Bob C.

Any of you racing enthusiasts ever do anything with collecting midget racers? Back in 1936 various papers around the country printed what were called Sports Stamps in them that included pictures and short bios of various sports athletes of the day. One paper, the Los Angeles Examiner, included midget race car drivers as part of their Sports Stamps series. Wondered if anyone else had ever seen or collected these.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:27 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Any of you racing enthusiasts ever do anything with collecting midget racers? Back in 1936 various papers around the country printed what were called Sports Stamps in them that included pictures and short bios of various sports athletes of the day. One paper, the Los Angeles Examiner, included midget race car drivers as part of their Sports Stamps series. Wondered if anyone else had ever seen or collected these.
I am not familiar with the Los Angeles Examiner Sports Stamps you mentioned, but I do like Midget racing. I attended several Midget shows during USAC's swing through Pennsylvania earlier this month.

Pre World War II, many of the top Midget drivers in the country progressed to big cars and eventually made it to Indy.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:08 PM
Kin K.

I've not heard of them either, but would be interested to learn. There's a chance that some Indianapolis drivers might be included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

Old 08-25-2021, 07:14 PM
Kin K.

Sooo...did anyone here win any of the five T36 lots that just ended on eBay?

I bid on two of them, but not very hard. I was the underbidder on the 10 card lot, but only needed two of them.

Pretty surprised how much the smaller lots went for.

-kin

Old 08-26-2021, 10:55 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Sooo...did anyone here win any of the five T36 lots that just ended on eBay?

I bid on two of them, but not very hard. I was the underbidder on the 10 card lot, but only needed two of them.

Pretty surprised how much the smaller lots went for.

-kin
I am putting together a T36 set, but I did not make any bids. Even the small lots had what would have been doubles for me, so I let the auctions pass. Prices have been climbing on T36s; the 10-card lot was a pretty nice deal for someone at $13 a card.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-26-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:32 PM
Kin K.

They did get a deal on that ten card lot. I just wish I'd needed more than two of them. I don't regret not going higher, though. The other lots had ones I needed, but many appeared trimmed and one of the ones I needed had what appears to be a cigarette burn on the back.

Prices are definitely climbing and in truth, it pisses me off. Why are people all of a sudden interested in the set and driving up prices? I wish I'd found out about this set 20 years ago instead of seven years ago.

Quote:
I am putting together a T36 set, but I did not make any bids. Even the small lots had what would have been doubles for me, so I let the auctions pass. Prices have been climbing on T36s; the 10-card lot was a pretty nice deal for someone at $13 a card.

Old 08-28-2021, 03:03 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
They did get a deal on that ten card lot. I just wish I'd needed more than two of them. I don't regret not going higher, though. The other lots had ones I needed, but many appeared trimmed and one of the ones I needed had what appears to be a cigarette burn on the back.

Prices are definitely climbing and in truth, it pisses me off. Why are people all of a sudden interested in the set and driving up prices? I wish I'd found out about this set 20 years ago instead of seven years ago.
Everything is going up. There is so much money sloshing around. At least the T36s are going up relatively slowly. LOL. Some of the 1972 STP cards have gone up 500-1,000 percent over the past year. Entire sets of the 1992 Grid Formula One cards could be had for less than $50 a year ago. Now, a high grade Michael Schumacher alone from that set is a $500+ card. The same thing has also happened with Ayrton Senna's early cards over the past year.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-28-2021 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
After making payment for the Frank Lockhart card I won, I wrote the eBay seller asking if he could provide any additional information on the game and its cards. The seller did not know a lot, but he did have some interesting information:

"I purchased the cards several years ago, hoping to find the game that accompanied them but only recently was able to figure out what the game was. I had all of the information on a Word file on my computer and, just yesterday, my hard drive failed; and, to make matters worse, my back-up disk (external drive) was somehow wiped clean. I believe I was able to piece together information on the game from the results of an auction house and from a copy of the game at Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum that I located through wikimedia. Here's the link.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...board_game.jpg

eBay sometimes removes links from communications between members so do a Google search for '1938 Indy 500 board game.' Look at images on the search and it should be on the right hand side of the fourth row down.

It would appear to be an exceptionally rare game that, to the best of my knowledge, has only sold once at auction.

Sadly, I purchased the cards so long ago that I no longer know where I did so. In the 1990s, I would go antiquing in Ohio and Indiana so it seems likely that it was on one of those trips. I just can't be sure."
I think this is a vastly underrated set. I recently suggested it to my friend Kin who I believe is also a member here. The Wilbur Shaw board game turns up from time to time at auction, but never with the cards, just the board and the “packaging”.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I am glad to see the thread coming back to life. I don't have any information to add on the Andretti card that Justus posted. The card looks like some kind of handout to hype the Champ Car race at Pocono that year.

I was able to find a site online that showed nine of the cards, but does not list any other information.

http://3-2-1indycar.blogspot.com/201...ck-friday.html

To me, the most interesting driver depicted on a card is Johnny Hubbard. Hubbard was from Johnstown, Pa., and was primarily a Midget driver. He tried for several years to break into the Champ Car world, but was usually resigned to underfunded rides. Hubbard was killed in a dirt Modified crash at the Reading (Pa.) Fairgrounds less than three months after the race at Pocono. The Reading Fairgrounds was only 10 minutes from my house and I have very vague memories of the Hubbard crash. My father was on the track crew at Reading and talked several times over the years about how horrific the Hubbard crash was. Hubbard's car that he was killed in was owned by a guy named Bob Seidel from Boyertown, Pa. Seidel never returned to Reading after Hubbard was killed in his car.

Kinda weird that Hubbard was included in the cards, since he did not even run any Champ Car races in 1976.

I know this is a bit of an older topic but I am almost positive that these Pocono cards were handouts for an autograph session. I was originally told they were inserted in the newspaper but I am leaning toward the autograph session handout as being more accurate.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:32 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy500autographs View Post
I know this is a bit of an older topic but I am almost positive that these Pocono cards were handouts for an autograph session. I was originally told they were inserted in the newspaper but I am leaning toward the autograph session handout as being more accurate.
Thanks so much for the info on the Wilbur Shaw game and the Schaefer 500 cards. There is not a lot of information to be found online about either set.

I can believe what you are said about the Wilbur Shaw game board being far more common than the driver cards from the game. I did see that Ripley Auctions had a Shaw game (without any cards) for auction back in May.

By the way, is the http://www.indy500autographs.com/ site your website? I have spent a ton of time looking at the autographs pictured on that site.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-05-2021 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the info on the Wilbur Shaw game and the Schaefer 500 cards. There is not a lot of information to be found online about either set.

I can believe what you are said about the Wilbur Shaw game board being far more common than the driver cards from the game. I did see that Ripley Auctions had a Shaw game (without any cards) for auction back in May.

By the way, is the http://www.indy500autographs.com/ site your website? I have spent a ton of time looking at the autographs pictured on that site.
Hello, I was at that Ripley auction and hoped to win the board but it went for more than I wanted to pay at the time.

I have several of the game cards but I am looking for more, I think those, as I mentioned to Kin, are really an untapped collectible.

The website isn’t mine unfortunately. That is my good friend Jim Vogel’s site. He’s also a fellow member of the “500 club” , those of us who have autographs of at least 500 of the 784 Indianapolis 500 starting drivers. He has a great website, great resource.
Old 10-05-2021, 11:39 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Hello, I was at that Ripley auction and hoped to win the board but it went for more than I wanted to pay at the time.

I have several of the game cards but I am looking for more, I think those, as I mentioned to Kin, are really an untapped collectible.

The website isn’t mine unfortunately. That is my good friend Jim Vogel’s site. He’s also a fellow member of the “500 club” , those of us who have autographs of at least 500 of the 784 Indianapolis 500 starting drivers. He has a great website, great resource.
I apologize for the mistake, but collecting autographs of as many of the Indianapolis 500 starting drivers as possible is such a neat niche of the hobby.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-05-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I apologize for the mistake, but collecting autographs of as many of the Indianapolis 500 starting drivers as possible is such a neat niche of the hobby.
No apologies necessary! I appreciate your interest!

I have been fortunate to have my collection featured in the Indianapolis Star and Autoweek among others and I am one of the Vice-Presidents of the National Indy 500 Collectors Club. I write a column for the newsletter on autographs and the pursuit of collecting them.

I am always buying and selling vintage Indianapolis 500 autographs if people have any interest in that part of the hobby!
Old 10-06-2021, 11:20 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
No apologies necessary! I appreciate your interest!

I have been fortunate to have my collection featured in the Indianapolis Star and Autoweek among others and I am one of the Vice-Presidents of the National Indy 500 Collectors Club. I write a column for the newsletter on autographs and the pursuit of collecting them.

I am always buying and selling vintage Indianapolis 500 autographs if people have any interest in that part of the hobby!
Mike Thomsen?

I am a member of the National Indy 500 Collectors Club. I love seeing what is out there as far as Indy 500 history is concerned. I thought your article a couple issues back on the three page letter you received from John Paul Jr. was fabulous. When I was a kid growing up in the late 1980s, I wrote to lots of stick and ball players as well as NASCAR drivers via their team shops. I received lot of autographs in response, but I never received a three-page letter like you received from John Paul Jr. That is extremely cool.

From what I remember, I was unable to write to any Indy car drivers, either active or retired, because I did not have addresses for any of them. Winston Cup Scene used to run a huge listing of the NASCAR shop addresses several times a year, so that was how I had those addresses.

I had actually previously read about your collection in the Indianapolis Star, Autoweek and the Toledo Blade while doing some Google searches. I just did not realize who you were when you first started posting here. I think what prompted me to do a Google search was seeing a Ray Harroun autograph sell on eBay. I know there is added appeal in Harroun being the first 500 winner, but it surprised me somewhat how much his autograph goes for, considering that he lived into the 1960s and returned to the 500 as an old man.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-07-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Mike Thomsen?

I am a member of the National Indy 500 Collectors Club. I love seeing what is out there as far as Indy 500 history is concerned. I thought your article a couple issues back on the three page letter you received from John Paul Jr. was fabulous. When I was a kid growing up in the late 1980s, I wrote to lots of stick and ball players as well as NASCAR drivers via their team shops. I received lot of autographs in response, but I never received a three-page letter like you received from John Paul Jr. That is extremely cool.

From what I remember, I was unable to write to any Indy car drivers, either active or retired, because I did not have addresses for any of them. Winston Cup Scene used to run a huge listing of the NASCAR shop addresses several times a year, so that was how I had those addresses.

I had actually previously read about your collection in the Indianapolis Star, Autoweek and the Toledo Blade while doing some Google searches. I just did not realize who you were when you first started posting here. I think what prompted me to do a Google search was seeing a Ray Harroun autograph sell on eBay. I know there is added appeal in Harroun being the first 500 winner., but it surprised me somewhat how much his autograph goes for, considering that he lived into the 1960s and returned to the 500 as an old man.
Hello, yes that is me. I am so pleased you enjoy the articles.

I enjoy doing them, I am hoping to branch out into longer blogs/articles, podcasts, similar to what Kin has done and the gentleman from Prewarsports who I am not aware of his actual name.

As far as Ray Harroun goes, there really is very little of his stuff on the market, I have only come across 15 to 20 in 30 years of collecting.

One potential reason is that he really wasn't as big of a deal until they made him the centerpiece of a lot of the celebrations in 1961, so from then on he signed more until his health declined and he passed away, but while he was there in 1951 at the Borg-Warner party, he really wasn't "feted" until 1961 when he started signing more.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:16 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Hello, yes that is me. I am so pleased you enjoy the articles.

I enjoy doing them, I am hoping to branch out into longer blogs/articles, podcasts, similar to what Kin has done and the gentleman from Prewarsports who I am not aware of his actual name.

As far as Ray Harroun goes, there really is very little of his stuff on the market, I have only come across 15 to 20 in 30 years of collecting.

One potential reason is that he really wasn't as big of a deal until they made him the centerpiece of a lot of the celebrations in 1961, so from then on he signed more until his health declined and he passed away, but while he was there in 1951 at the Borg-Warner party, he really wasn't "feted" until 1961 when he started signing more.
Thank you for the information and joining the thread. A podcast concerning your collection and some of the great rarities (aside from the drivers who do not have any examples) would be something I would definitely listen to.

I also think what Formula 1 does with their "Beyond The Grid" podcast with former/current drivers and owners makes for a great listen as well. I have been binge listening to "Beyond the Grid" over the past several months.

Last edited by Bored5000; 10-09-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:55 PM
Kin K.

Having Mike join into this thread will absolutely be an asset.

The only bad is that now he's been turned on to some of the card so we have more competition. LOL

Well, there are three of us here in the Indy500 Collector's Club. I'd love to see us have a site where we can interact, or worst case, a Facebook group. Although mentioning Facebook just gave me the heebie-jeebies.

Old 10-10-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:

The only bad is that now he's been turned on to some of the card so we have more competition. LOL

Well, there are three of us here in the Indy500 Collector's Club. I'd love to see us have a site where we can interact, or worst case, a Facebook group. Although mentioning Facebook just gave me the heebie-jeebies.
I have always appreciated your support Kin, you are a great asset to the hobby.

I have learned about a number of interesting sets from you for certain, and I think our discussion on the Avalon Hill cards has been very beneficial to both of us as well.

I am up for a discussion group and I definitely plan a podcast soon.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:

I found a few more of the Shaw game cards over the weekend from a dealer, so I have Merz, Mackenzie, Triplett, Shafer, Arnold, Meyer, and Bergere coming in.

Excited to have a few more on the way.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Let's work out a group together. I would like to get a podcast going similar to what Val is doing as well. I'd like to interact with Val as well as he has so much knowledge to share.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:41 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
I found a few more of the Shaw game cards over the weekend from a dealer, so I have Merz, Mackenzie, Triplett, Shafer, Arnold, Meyer, and Bergere coming in.

Excited to have a few more on the way.
Awesome. Glad to have another collector with a love of racing cards in the thread.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:21 AM

Default Auto racing card collector

Just found this thread, as I normally stay on the non-sports side.

I have collected automobile/auto racing/motorcycle/motorcycle racing cards since 1966.

Have a fair collection.

Also have LOTs of reference material.

Cannot help with current prices, or graded scarcity (none of my cards are graded, nor will they be), but may be able to help with questions about some of the sets (Hassan/Mecca, Stark & Wetzel, Marhoefer, etc.).

I have what was sold to me as a complete set of the Pocono 500 cards; there are 31 different.

Jon

Last edited by carbking; 07-01-2022 at 01:19 PM.