NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-03-2022, 10:39 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Default National - autographs

This seems like a basic question, but one I cannot get an answer to for the life of me. I have the VIP package that gives me access to all autographs. But I am going to guess that all of the signors are not sitting around from 9-5 Thursday to Saturday signing. Is there a schedule? Are there specific time slots for the players? I am trying to plan because I likely have to skip a day. If Lawrence Taylor is signing from 12-2 on Friday (or some other time), I need to know.

Please respond or PM me if anyone has details on how this works.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 07-03-2022, 10:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Generally we have an autograph section however this question might help a lot of members.....
I am sure there will be a schedule for the signers, eventually. I can only imagine it could fluctuate a bit knowing how that industry goes.
Other members might know more...good luck

Last edited by Leon; 07-03-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:47 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Here You Go

https://tristarproductions.com/National/

This should answer your question. Plan ahead!

Peace and enjoy.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:00 AM
Robert Klevens

TAYLOR, LAWRENCE
Sat. Jul 30, 2022 at 1:45pm EDT
Tickets starting at $100
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lt.jpg (136.3 KB, 880 views)
Old 07-03-2022, 11:37 AM
J@mes In.gram

Here's what I think of "VIP access" and paying to have a human being sign autographs - it's effing stupid!

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 07-03-2022, 11:52 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Here's what I think of "VIP access" and paying to have a human being sign autographs - it's effing stupid!
Well, I have to disagree with that from a purely financial standpoint. Sometimes an autograph can enhance the value of a card or item. An extreme example is an Upper Deck employee's issue card of Mike Tyson.

Rare item (125 made) and given to UD employees. A nice card sells for $3,000 or so. A signed copy sold for $55,800 in a Goldin auction last month.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-03-2022, 11:58 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
I like collecting cards and this is great opportunity to get some signed. The VIP package is a great deal given the number of cards I will get signed. My mom used to pay $25-$30 back in the 90s for me to get maybe 1 player of the caliber at this event. This is my first National and I really look forward to it.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Monster #236

Last edited by Oscar_Stanage; 07-03-2022 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:13 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Well, I have to disagree with that from a purely financial standpoint. Sometimes an autograph can enhance the value of a card or item. An extreme example is an Upper Deck employee's issue card of Mike Tyson.

Rare item (125 made) and given to UD employees. A nice card sells for $3,000 or so. A signed copy sold for $55,800 in a Goldin auction last month.
The power of belief!

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 07-03-2022, 01:26 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
I agree to a degree. Just another way to squeeze the lemon that is collectors wallet.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:07 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Soon, there will be an autograph fee structure provided for what each and every word in the English language would cost to have the player write it in the inscription. So, the handlers will consult the itemized list, add the fees together and then move you along to receive your personalized autograph.

For instance:

I would like to poke fun at my wife...who's a huge fan of his...so ask him to write, "To dear, sweet, Martha, wanna grab my bat?"

Word Fees:
To - $20 + capitalization fee of $10
dear - $30
sweet - $40
Martha - $75 + capitalization fee of $10
wanna - (combination of "want" and "to" = $35 + $20 minus the word combo discount of $5) $50
grab - $30
my - $20
bat - $50

Additional fees:
Punctuation (three commas @ $15 per, but it is buy 2 get one free today, and one question mark at $45) - $75
Blue Sharpie - $65
Eye contact made with player - $100

Total cost: $575 plus tax and player sitting fee to be added at checkout.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 07-03-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:13 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I really don't see the point of saying some collecting niche is stupid. I'm sure 98% of what we talk about on this board (i.e., obscure backs of tobacco cards of players lost to total obscurity) would strike the average person as pretty absurd. I don't see where spending a few thousand dollars to meet players to have them sign stuff is really anymore "stupid" than piling into the next big auction and spending a few thousand dollars on a small dirty piece of cardboard.

I'm sure there are folks here (and no judgment from me) who would be happy to have some hall of famers 95 year old used athletic supporter. Yeah, try explaining that to someone who is not in the hobby.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 07-03-2022 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:27 PM
Danny Gr|mes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I really don't see the point of saying some collecting niche is stupid. I'm sure 98% of what we talk about on this board (i.e., obscure backs of tobacco cards of players lost to total obscurity) would strike the average person as pretty absurd. I don't see where spending a few thousand dollars to meet players to have them sign stuff is really anymore "stupid" than piling into the next big auction and spending a few thousand dollars on a small dirty piece of cardboard.

I'm sure there are folks here (and no judgment from me) who would be happy to have some hall of famers 95 year old used athletic supporter. Yeah, try explaining that to someone who is not in the hobby.

+1
It’s more than just cards in this great hobby.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:37 PM

It's equally hilarious and hypocritical that there are collectors within the same realm who look down at people who are fascinated by things that they themselves scoff at. Meanwhile, the rest of the world looks down their noses at all of it!

Hey, I'm just as guilty as most of you. I haven't been interested in anything that isn't autographed for over 30 years, but I don't understand why anyone would want to collect the illegible scribbles of today's athletes. These "autographs" more closely resemble the byproduct of a sneeze-induced tremor while the player was pressing a Sharpie against the item. ...and don't get me started on Funko Pops!
Old 07-03-2022, 03:44 PM

Remember that the VIP program gives you access to all the VIP signers. LT isn't a part of the VIP program.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:03 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:

I was offered a Mickey Mantle supporter by an elderly lady at a show in Columbia, MO a few years ago. I asked her how she got that, and she said: You know! For some reason I told her I had no interest in that particular item. To each his own, but I have no use for either used jock straps or autographs.
Old 07-03-2022, 04:04 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:

Couple of years ago, a friend and workmate took his son to the All-Star Game in Miami. They were excited, and went way early. His son is now hoping to get a baseball scholarship to Vanderbilt. But they went to this game back then, and had hopes of getting autographs from some of the All-Stars. That didn't happen. To get autos, you had to have "VIP access" or some such BS. Otherwise, you couldn't get close. That's why I say it's effing stupid. And the son was real disappointed. Thank heavens he got over it as time went by.

Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 07-03-2022, 05:01 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisFlood View Post
I was offered a Mickey Mantle supporter by an elderly lady at a show in Columbia, MO a few years ago. I asked her how she got that, and she said: You know! For some reason I told her I had no interest in that particular item. To each his own, but I have no use for either used jock straps or autographs.
Who knows what's in that jock strap! In a few years we may have been able to clone him. I think Spielberg is already working on this concept for his next film Geriatric Park.

Last edited by Fballguy; 07-03-2022 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:15 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post
It's equally hilarious and hypocritical that there are collectors within the same realm who look down at people who are fascinated by things that they themselves scoff at. Meanwhile, the rest of the world looks down their noses at all of it!

Hey, I'm just as guilty as most of you. I haven't been interested in anything that isn't autographed for over 30 years, but I don't understand why anyone would want to collect the illegible scribbles of today's athletes. These "autographs" more closely resemble the byproduct of a sneeze-induced tremor while the player was pressing a Sharpie against the item. ...and don't get me started on Funko Pops!
My vote for best autograph in the hobby is Charlie Gehringer.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 07-03-2022, 06:00 PM

Default Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
My vote for best autograph in the hobby is Charlie Gehringer.

...indeed ; but I've always been a bit more partial to Jimmie Foxx..

Old 07-03-2022, 06:55 PM
Scott Russell

If we're talking any sport Gale Sayers and Johnny Unitas autographs are tough to beat
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-03-2022, 11:48 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilly View Post
Remember that the VIP program gives you access to all the VIP signers. LT isn't a part of the VIP program.
+1!

I fear that the original poster doesn't clearly understand exactly what is included in the "VIP Package" and how it works. I hope you are not sorely disappointed, thinking you have paid 100 bucks or so and will get everyone's autograph who is at the show!

On the Tristar website linked above, every signer is listed with info on autograph prices and the specific scheduled time each athlete will be appearing. Each guest's signing is usually 2 hours in length. Scheduled signings take place throughout the week/weekend.

Your "VIP Package" includes only the athletes who are listed as a "VIP guests" on the Tristar website. And to obtain those autographs you have to be at the specific guest's scheduled time and wait until the end (after the athlete has signed for all of the people who purchased full-priced individual autograph tickets).

I recommend you go to the autograph pavilion on the first day and make friends with a helpful show veteran (there are many nice, helpful folks there usually)...tell him/her/them you're new to this and ask if he/she/they will walk you through how it all works. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the show!
Old 07-03-2022, 11:53 PM
Kevin
Kev.in Th.omas

Quote:
James - Stand in front of a mirror and take a good, long look...you're hobby is effing stupid also.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:57 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneen View Post
James - Stand in front of a mirror and take a good, long look...you're hobby is effing stupid also.
Here is why:
Couple of years ago, a friend and workmate took his son to the All-Star Game in Miami. They were excited, and went way early. His son is now hoping to get a baseball scholarship to Vanderbilt. But they went to this game back then, and had hopes of getting autographs from some of the All-Stars. That didn't happen. To get autos, you had to have "VIP access" or some such BS. Otherwise, you couldn't get close. That's why I say it's effing stupid. And the son was real disappointed. Thank heavens he got over it as time went by.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 07-04-2022, 05:23 AM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneen View Post
+1!

I fear that the original poster doesn't clearly understand exactly what is included in the "VIP Package" and how it works. I hope you are not sorely disappointed, thinking you have paid 100 bucks or so and will get everyone's autograph who is at the show!
Thank you! At first, I did not understand how it works- I posted because I could not find a clear explanation anywhere. I think it is one of those things you need to learn from experience. Thank you for all of the responses.

I understand that I do not get all the autos, I am planning for a subset of players for those I have cards.

Monster #236
Old 07-04-2022, 09:18 AM
Mike

I don't think anyone can read a Willie Mays auto of the past few decades.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:00 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Here is why:
Lol so young man gets a ticket to the All star from his Dad. Tells Dad he is bringing his shiny new ball to get autographed. Dad encourages this but fails to do the footwork required to obtain any signatures. Then tells young man that only Rich guys with connections and VIP access are allowed to get autographs. Now getting signatures at the ballpark is always difficult and hit or miss. Because No other Human being owes you an autograph.
I am reminded of a sunny day at Yankee Stadium Aaron Judge stops by seats past 3rd base after warmups and signs a few autographs mostly for kids. He leaves and one kid who who was running down the isle to try and get a auto is disappointed and starts yelling at his Mom saying why didn't she know where he should have been standing. Now crowd breaks up and Mom walks down and starts yelling at NYC cop who is there for security after a minute he comes over and Mom says to him here is my sons ball he got here late and wants an auto. Cop laughs and Mom huffs kid yells at Mom and crowd laughs. Because No other person OWES you a signature.
Big part of collecting Auto's is the hunt. If you can't deal with the hunt then you pay for a ticket and stand in line and get a guaranteed auto.
Or you can adopt a completely entitled point of view and hate the fact that you didn't get a signature at the All Star game. Tell the story to all your entitled buddies.
Or maybe ask some stadium employees, talk to some of the folks who got autos learn how to put yourself in a better spot next time. And understand the lesson if at first you dont succeed try try again. Entirely up to each person.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:21 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Lol so young man gets a ticket to the All star from his Dad. Tells Dad he is bringing his shiny new ball to get autographed. Dad encourages this but fails to do the footwork required to obtain any signatures. Then tells young man that only Rich guys with connections and VIP access are allowed to get autographs. Now getting signatures at the ballpark is always difficult and hit or miss. Because No other Human being owes you an autograph.
I am reminded of a sunny day at Yankee Stadium Aaron Judge stops by seats past 3rd base after warmups and signs a few autographs mostly for kids. He leaves and one kid who who was running down the isle to try and get a auto is disappointed and starts yelling at his Mom saying why didn't she know where he should have been standing. Now crowd breaks up and Mom walks down and starts yelling at NYC cop who is there for security after a minute he comes over and Mom says to him here is my sons ball he got here late and wants an auto. Cop laughs and Mom huffs kid yells at Mom and crowd laughs. Because No other person OWES you a signature.
Big part of collecting Auto's is the hunt. If you can't deal with the hunt then you pay for a ticket and stand in line and get a guaranteed auto.
Or you can adopt a completely entitled point of view and hate the fact that you didn't get a signature at the All Star game. Tell the story to all your entitled buddies.
Or maybe ask some stadium employees, talk to some of the folks who got autos learn how to put yourself in a better spot next time. And understand the lesson if at first you dont succeed try try again. Entirely up to each person.
Yeah, that 'bout sums it up: if the kid had gotten a signature, then all would have been OK, but since he didn't, let's condemn the whole thing.

Getting all butt-hurt because you couldn't get up close and personal with a ballplayer at-will is certainly a good reason to trash the entire hobby. I don't like paying for an autograph per se, but I will if the value is there, and I can respect other collectors who devote themselves to getting signed cards and other items. One guy I know spends hours of every day at the show getting signatures, mostly on RCs. He enjoys that pursuit as much as I enjoy rummaging through dollar boxes.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-04-2022 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-04-2022, 01:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I would say your friend was beyond effing stupid for thinking he could just get autographs by attending a game.

But hey what do I know, I collect pictures of young athletic men in uniforms.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:00 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I would say your friend was beyond effing stupid for thinking he could just get autographs by attending a game.

Pretty easy to do at NFL games.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:13 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:

I'd like to add that YOU are effing stupid, and that's the end of it. Period. Fire back some stupid snappy remark. Don't care. Not listening.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 07-04-2022, 06:05 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I'd like to add that YOU are effing stupid, and that's the end of it. Period. Fire back some stupid snappy remark. Don't care. Not listening.
With all the people calling your friend a moron I am feeling special you only replied to me.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:06 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
With all the people calling your friend a moron I am feeling special you only replied to me.
Some guys have all the luck!

Old 07-04-2022, 07:32 PM
J@mes In.gram

You pay for All-Star Game tickets, you make the road trip to get there, you get there early as in when the gates open, and you can't get close to any ballplayers, by design? If that's what it's become, keep it. If you have to be an elitist to participate, if getting in with your ticket isn't enough, keep it. I stand by the statement, it's fucking stupid. Go ahead and defend it, keep pretending it's all fun. Label me whatever, I am done.

Completed 1962 Topps
Old 07-04-2022, 10:07 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
You pay for All-Star Game tickets, you make the road trip to get there, you get there early as in when the gates open, and you can't get close to any ballplayers, by design? If that's what it's become, keep it. If you have to be an elitist to participate, if getting in with your ticket isn't enough, keep it. I stand by the statement, it's fucking stupid. Go ahead and defend it, keep pretending it's all fun. Label me whatever, I am done.
What is wrong with you guys leave Karen
.I mean Jim alone. If I buy a pair of Tickets to the All Star game AND take a Grueling road trip with my kid. And I get there when the gates open ( max 2 hours before First pitch). I damm well expect these high paid young Athletes to show my kid some respect and sign his ball. I dont care if Fifty Thousand other fans are there dont you know who I am??
I know a little harsh, but 2 tickets to an all star game and a road trip with my Son or Daughter what a priceless gift those memories are. I have a few Memories like that. I hope to have more with my grandkids. The last thing I want stuck in my head is a resentment about an autograph that I didn't even get.
Old 07-05-2022, 01:10 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Ben, trust you to take a snippy remark and still maintain your sense of humor. Love it!! Keep up the good work, and thank you.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:42 AM
Rob

Quote:
Keep in mind, these are the same people who enjoy paying exorbitant buyer's premiums. You can't rationalize with them.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:47 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Pretty easy to do at NFL games.
Really? How many Tom Brady signatures have you gotten at NFL games. Or any top tier Quaterback? I have been to a few games myself in my 61 years and NFL is as locked down as any of the Major Sports leagues. I have also spent a few afternoons in Hotel lobbies and had better luck there. Waiting after a game by team Bus I have gotten a few. And I have seen the pleas of kids asking ( Mostly QB's ) for auto's be turned down 99.99% of the time. In my experiance getting signatures game day at a stadium when pro athletes are working is always difficult. Now waiting early when they arrive or late when they leave etc. Helps but lots of time and planning go in. Just buying 2 tickets to a game and expecting signatures at an NFL game just not realistic.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:57 AM
Rob

Quote:
Really? How many Tom Brady signatures have you gotten at NFL games. Or any top tier Quaterback? I have been to a few games myself in my 61 years and NFL is as locked down as any of the Major Sports leagues. I have also spent a few afternoons in Hotel lobbies and had better luck there. Waiting after a game by team Bus I have gotten a few. And I have seen the pleas of kids asking ( Mostly QB's ) for auto's be turned down 99.99% of the time. In my experiance getting signatures game day at a stadium when pro athletes are working is always difficult. Now waiting early when they arrive or late when they leave etc. Helps but lots of time and planning go in. Just buying 2 tickets to a game and expecting signatures at an NFL game just not realistic.
Sounds like you haven't been in a while. I'm not saying everyone signs, though back when I was into that, early to mid 2000s... I got MANY Hall of Famers during their playing days. And though it's not my thing any more, I always have an eye out for any signing that occurs at the stadium, typically near the players entrance and I always see a crowd and I always see players signing, including the QBs. I can't speak for Brady specifically.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:14 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

When I went to Fenway in 1989, players signed. A lot has changed since then.

I have heard players sign at spring training

Old 07-06-2022, 01:13 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
When I went to Fenway in 1989, players signed. A lot has changed since then.

I have heard players sign at spring training
Yes, spring training seems to be more lax but that still depends on the players.

Flippers are the one's that ruined it and you can see them at every game and outside every celebrity hangout in LA with their stacks of 8"x10"s and sharpies. To be honest, without paying for the right to ask, if you are over the age of 12 then good luck at any event.

This is why many players personalize the auto with a name, they know it screws the flippers...it's not by accident. I also don't blame them one bit for doing it.

Some players are just class acts though for fans. I was at an event with my son the rookie year of Calvin Johnson, he stayed an additional hour and a half after the rest of the team left as he refused to not greet someone who had come to meet him. He never complained and smiled for them all. Class act.

Here we are after quite literally a thousand fans had already left. My son's face shows he literally did not know what to do when meeting a hero, lol...

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:12 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Sounds like you haven't been in a while. I'm not saying everyone signs, though back when I was into that, early to mid 2000s... I got MANY Hall of Famers during their playing days. And though it's not my thing any more, I always have an eye out for any signing that occurs at the stadium, typically near the players entrance and I always see a crowd and I always see players signing, including the QBs. I can't speak for Brady specifically.
Rob If you read my post I do say if you plan ahead do some footwork and arrive Long before game time or stay long after game is over there is a chance to get some signatures. BUT showing up when gates open and trucking down near field and asking for signatures. I have almost never seen that work. The players are preparing for game. As for QB's there are a number that are very difficult to get on game day or anywhere for that matter.
My original post was a reply to a board member who complained that his buddy got a couple tickets to MLB all star game drove a couple hours with his kid. Got there when gates opened and was surprised he got shut out trying to get some signatures. Then someone said NFL was different. And in my experiance it is not. If you dont do some level of patient work it is unrealistic to expect ayers warming up to come over to stands and sign. My point was and is, if you dont put any real work into it you cannot expect results. If you do the work then many times good things happen. But never a guarantee.
Looks like you did do some work and were rewarded for it. The joys of in person autograph hunting are many especially if you share the experience.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:08 PM
Rob

Quote:
Rob If you read my post I do say if you plan ahead do some footwork and arrive Long before game time or stay long after game is over there is a chance to get some signatures. BUT showing up when gates open and trucking down near field and asking for signatures. I have almost never seen that work. The players are preparing for game. As for QB's there are a number that are very difficult to get on game day or anywhere for that matter.
My original post was a reply to a board member who complained that his buddy got a couple tickets to MLB all star game drove a couple hours with his kid. Got there when gates opened and was surprised he got shut out trying to get some signatures. Then someone said NFL was different. And in my experiance it is not. If you dont do some level of patient work it is unrealistic to expect ayers warming up to come over to stands and sign. My point was and is, if you dont put any real work into it you cannot expect results. If you do the work then many times good things happen. But never a guarantee.
Looks like you did do some work and were rewarded for it. The joys of in person autograph hunting are many especially if you share the experience.
Fair enough...But I don't see where in his post he said they only tried at the field. All he said was they went way early.

In any event not being empathetic to someone's lament that autograph collecting has gone from the thrill of the chase to big business is extremely odd to me. Especially from collectors of a nostalgia driven sport like baseball. And to openly ridicule it is even weirder.

Then again, some loyal and subservient people just love to defend...whether its incompetent grading companies, internet sales tax, exorbitant buyer's premiums or apparently expensive autographs...just to name a few.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:45 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Fair enough...But I don't see where in his post he said they only tried at the field. All he said was they went way early.

In any event not being empathetic to someone's lament that autograph collecting has gone from the thrill of the chase to big business is extremely odd to me. Especially from collectors of a nostalgia driven sport like baseball. And to openly ridicule it is even weirder.

Then again, some loyal and subservient people just love to defend...whether its incompetent grading companies, internet sales tax, exorbitant buyer's premiums or apparently expensive autographs...just to name a few.
Well Rob He did write specifically that he went when gates opened. ( varies from park to park and year to year but typically 90 minutes to 2 hours) so not what I consider "way early" and as I mention I have done this more than once in my 61 years. You mention you get to NFL park early enough to see players arrive so you know what I mean. So I am not repeat not empathetic to people who expect unrealistic results. Autograph collecting requires patience and research and it always has as far as I know. And to me the experience of a road trip with my kid or kids to an All star game is a pricless memory. But I understand not everyone sees it that way. But to cloud your memories of such a great day with bitterness towards the business of Baseball seems sad.
I personally collect sports items mostly because of the happy memories I have. Sure sometimes I scoped out a spot got there early only to have a player walk by and not sign my item. But I learned long ago no one else owes me anything. No Athlete owes me an autograph.Athletes are asked for autographs all the time by lots of people. Players just cannot sign for everyone so if they sign for me I still say thank you when I get an autograph, even if I am paying for it. Because I am grateful for their time and effort to sign my item. I have found a little patience and gratitude make things easier all around. So even though I know certin big name athletes are very difficult to get to sign in public I understand and I let it go.
What all this has to do with subservient people defending internet sales tax etc. I dont know. I am sorry if you have been the victom of incompetent grading compinies, internet sales tax, exorbitant buyers premiums, apparantly expensive autographs..just to name a few. Not joking here it sounds like you have been hurt and while I am not empathetic to people with unrealistic expectations. I am empathetic to folks that are hurt or hurting because in some ways we all are.
Something that has helped me is the following God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change and the courage to change the things I can.
Safe travels Rob
Old 07-06-2022, 08:07 PM
Bob C.

Quote:

What exactly does "internet sales taxes" have to do with all this? And how does obeying tax laws so you don't become guilty of tax evasion make someone "subservient"? I can sort of follow the other things you brought up, and see where you may be coming from, but I totally don't get the internet sales tax connection.

Last edited by BobC; 07-06-2022 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:37 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
What exactly does "internet sales taxes" have to do with all this? And how does obeying tax laws so you don't become guilty of tax evasion make someone "subservient"? I can sort of follow the other things you brought up, and see where you may be coming from, but I totally don't get the internet sales tax connection.
Oh no...I've invoked Bob.

Sales tax is charged to the buyer, so what does it have to do with tax evasion?

Bob...Back to the point. It's just one of several examples of an issue you'd expect a reasonable person to lament...

"Damn, that $100 blank I buy is now $108 with tax!"..."My good deal, isn't so good any more!" If you haven't felt that pinch in the last couple years, then maybe you have more money than the rest of us. A post like this would immediately be attacked by a dozen or so contrarian submissives (kind of like you did by flying off to the irrelevant tangent of tax evasion, though I don't consider you one of the contrarian submissives, just a good example in this case) who extoll the importance of internet sales tax, patting themselves on the back for collecting sales tax since the dawn of sales (and use tax too!) and calling the poster a no-nothing, criminal and bad American in the process.

To test the theory...Start a thread with the subject line "PSA, the self proclaimed industry leading card grading service can't identify an altered card" and watch what happens.

Last edited by Fballguy; 07-07-2022 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:57 AM
Wayne V

Default +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCox3 View Post

I don't get why anyone would care about an illegible scribble that's supposed to be an autograph. Players used to have autos that were legible. Mickey Mantle was a case in point. He had a beautiful autograph that he took a lot of pride in.
Why people pay large sums of money for an autograph that is chicken scratch is beyond me. If you want to get an item signed, figure the autograph makes the item more valuable, and then you want to flip it, that makes sense. But if you want to buy an expensive, illegible autograph, and put in your personal collection, that doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by cannonballsun; 07-07-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-07-2022, 01:41 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Oh no...I've invoked Bob.

Sales tax is charged to the buyer, so what does it have to do with tax evasion?

Bob...Back to the point. It's just one of several examples of an issue you'd expect a reasonable person to lament...

"Damn, that $100 blank I buy is now $108 with tax!"..."My good deal, isn't so good any more!" If you haven't felt that pinch in the last couple years, then maybe you have more money than the rest of us. A post like this would immediately be attacked by a dozen or so contrarian submissives (kind of like you did by flying off to the irrelevant tangent of tax evasion, though I don't consider you one of the contrarian submissives, just a good example in this case) who extoll the importance of internet sales tax, patting themselves on the back for collecting sales tax since the dawn of sales (and use tax too!) and calling the poster a no-nothing, criminal and bad American in the process.

To test the theory...Start a thread with the subject line "PSA, the self proclaimed industry leading card grading service can't identify an altered card" and watch what happens.
Rob,

LOL You didn't invoke anything, I just didn't get or understand the inclusion about internet sales taxes with your other points. I completely agree with you that those topics you mentioned, including internet sales taxes, will always get people riled up to go online and complain. But your original post talked about people being "loyal and subservient to" and "defending" those things, especially internet sales tax. When you use the term "defend", I would normally associate that with something a person would be favorable of or for, not something they would be against and complaining about. Thus, my initial confusion, and the reason for my question.

Quote "Then again, some loyal and subservient people just love to defend...whether its incompetent grading companies, internet sales tax, exorbitant buyer's premiums or apparently expensive autographs...just to name a few." Unquote

Based on your follow-up post, I now know what you were referring to. Just didn't come across well to me the way you stated it originally.

In regards to the tax evasion comment, sales taxes are not something anyone has a choice about. If you are in a state that has sales taxes, you are subject to them, period. And, ALL states with sales taxes also have a second part to those laws called "Use Taxes". That is the part of the law that says if you buy something, and the seller didn't charge you sales tax for whatever reason, then YOU are supposed to report and pay the sales/use tax to the state yourself. There is technically no option or choice you can otherwise make, without being guilty of sales/use tax evasion. In your example you mentioned someone complaining about having to pay $108 instead of just $100 because they are now being charged sales tax. But the buyer was supposed to have been paying that sales tax all along as use tax. Because they are now complaining about it, it is pretty obvious they weren't properly paying the use tax due all along like they were supposed to, until the internet forced them to finally comply with the sales/use tax laws. And thus, what they are really complaining about is that they can no longer be a sales tax cheat, and had been guilty of sales tax evasion all along. That is what your comment about internet sales tax has to do with tax evasion.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:02 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

lol, as the author of this thread, I have an announcement....

As a novice, first timer National attendee I asked a simple question about autos... I got insulted and then the thread turned into an all out referendum on autographing.

Therefore, I am pleased to announce that I just paid $99.99 for a Larry Walker autograph- not just on any card- I ponied up an extra $20 just so I can get my 1990 Leaf rookie or upper deck card signed (still not sure which), both of which I have kept in pristine condition since I opened the packs 32 years ago.

I will be savoring every minute of a great experience. If anyone wants to grab a beer and enjoy my card, come find me.

Monster #236
Old 07-07-2022, 07:00 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Nice Oscar I hope you will enjoy the experience. I paid for a couple tickets today and sent in for a Reggie Jackson. Reggie is signing Saturday and I think Wed Thur and Friday will be enough.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:25 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Who knows what's in that jock strap! In a few years we may have been able to clone him. I think Spielberg is already working on this concept for his next film Geriatric Park.
I eyeballed that tired old strap, but did not lay hands on it. That kind of memorabilia is not my specialty. Guess DNA could have proved that old lady's claim, but not worth the hassle. What kind of label would one put on that in your showcase?