NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2022, 05:28 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default RIP, Steve Werley

If you've attended any Nationals in the past 20 years there's a good chance you passed by and stopped at Steve Werley's booth. It stood out because he was the king of the oddball set. Steve passed away this past weekend at 63. He will be greatly missed. Remember those baseball inserts from the 1960s? Steve had them all, beautifully displayed. Limited edition posters or coins? Yep, he had all those too.
Years ago he helped me complete my 1971 Topps Greatest Moments baseball card set. He was a pleasure to deal with and always had a smile on his face. He retired about five years ago (he was a teacher) and a few years ago became a very proud grandfather. A true gentle man who found his niche in this great hobby and prospered.
Thank you, Steve, for your passion and devotion to the oddball. RIP.

Last edited by marzoumanian; 07-01-2022 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-01-2022, 05:35 AM
Jay Shumsky

Sad news. I always talked to Steve at the Philly Show, and also purchased a number of cards from him for some of the oddball sets I was working on. He will definitely be missed.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:51 AM
Bill H@e1ig

I always enjoyed looking at his items & recall just seeing him at the Philly Show in March...

RIP
Old 07-01-2022, 06:15 AM
qualitycards

Sorry to hear this
Old 07-01-2022, 06:31 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

sorry to hear

Prayers to family and friends

Rest in Piece

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 07-01-2022, 07:45 AM
Joe Drouillard

63 is far too young. Condolances to his family and friends.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:14 AM
octavio ranzola

r.i.p steve

Last edited by rjackson44; 07-01-2022 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:42 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by roarfrom34 View Post
I always enjoyed looking at his items. RIP
+1. https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries...ry?id=35428114
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:22 AM

I don't think I ever knew his name. but stopped by many, many times and looked and chatted over the years. Sorry to hear of his passing.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:24 AM
Drew W@i$e

Very sad and a great guy.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:47 AM
John

Very sad news...I bought many odd Oriole items from him over the years at shows and I still have them all...he would always look out for items on my wantlist...super nice guy to deal with...thanks Steve...RIP

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2022, 11:25 AM
Tony Gordon

Oh, how sad. I knew him from the Chicago Sun-Times/Sports Spectacular shows. He was just out here in March. My condolences to his friends and family.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:40 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Wow

I am in shock. This is terrible news. A very nice guy and always seemed to be the picture of health. This is really sad. Sleep in the stars my friend you will be missed.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzoumanian View Post
If you've attended any Nationals in the past 20 years there's a good chance you passed by and stopped at Steve Werley's booth. It stood out because he was the king of the oddball set. Steve passed away this past weekend at 63. He will be greatly missed. Remember those baseball inserts from the 1960s? Steve had them all, beautifully displayed. Limited edition posters or coins? Yep, he had all those too.
Years ago he helped me complete my 1971 Topps Greatest Moments baseball card set. He was a pleasure to deal with and always had a smile on his face. He retired about five years ago (he was a teacher) and a few years ago became a very proud grandfather. A true gentle man who found his niche in this great hobby and prospered.
Thank you, Steve, for your passion and devotion to the oddball. RIP.
RIP Steve. Always good to hear nice stories of people like Steve
Old 07-01-2022, 12:27 PM
Scott Russell

I've been dealing with Steve on and off since the Philly show was in Ft Washington. Sold him the first 10 series of Perez Steele Postcards when I was in high school. Always a good guy and hard to believe he's gone so young.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-01-2022, 01:09 PM
Al Richter

Steve helped me with my 67 Stand Ups, 67 Punch Outs and 74 Deckles. I always enjoyed visiting with him and gawking at the stuff on his tables at the Nationals. A gentleman and great representative of the hobby. Very sad news
Old 07-01-2022, 02:31 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Steve was a GREAT friend over and above being a dealer I dealt with many times over the years. He and I had lunch near his home a few years ago.

He was so nice to everyone. Always had great "stuff" you would not see elsewhere.

He was a longtime hold out on listing on ebay until the pandemic hit and killed off the shows.

Was a French teacher and went on many trips on students to France. He and Annemarie recently was selling their house and moving to a new one last we talked.

I always hung out at his booth at the Philly show and National and would give him a break to run to the bathroom when he needed to leave his booth.

As the song goes....Only the good (GREAT in this case) die young.

Thinking of Annemarie, son Steve and daughter Danielle as well as the rest of his family at this great loss
Old 07-01-2022, 02:42 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Default Steve Werley

We will miss you, Steve.

GOD Bless your soul....... GOD comfort your Family and friends.

TED Z
Old 07-01-2022, 03:29 PM
Hank Thomas

Sad to see another hobby long-timer gone. Although I only chatted with him a few times, I wouldn't be surprised to find out he was set up at every single show I ever did over the years, a dependable presence with a booth full of oddball stuff you would rarely see elsewhere. He seemed like a nice guy, always smiling.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:28 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Although I don't do much in cards, I had the pleasure of speaking with Steve a few times over the years about some oddball card issues and interesting items he had. He was always really nice.... happy to talk and educate. Sad news. RIP.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:57 AM
Don Hontz

So sorry to hear this on Steve--Very shocking news--just talked to him at the White Plains show--and I have the booth next to him at the National--was looking forward to chatting with him as always--a kind gentleman, I met Steve years ago at a White Plains show, we had a connection not only in the hobby, but we were both from Pennsylvania , his high school was 10 miles from mine. He had great odd ball stuff all the time--and always so kind in sharing his knowledge. He will be missed and again very sad.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:41 AM
Eric Phillips

This is such sad news. Steve was one of the nicest guys we’ve met while collecting. We always looked forward to seeing Steve at the shows and we felt like he genuinely looked forward to seeing me and my teenage sons. Even though we weren’t the biggest buyers, he spent a lot of time talking with my sons about the rare Roberto Clemente and oddball items he had and that we collect. Steve had a great way about him and always had a smile on his face. We will miss him a lot and are grateful for the time we spent with him.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:21 PM
Kevin Gibson

I’m so sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed talking to Steve at nationals. He was always on the lookout for me for oddball Bob Gibson items and would email me throughout the year when he would run across something he thought I might be interested in. He was one of my favorite people in the hobby and will be greatly missed. My prayers go out to his family.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:35 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default Just a Thought

I only met Steve's wife once. I believe it was at a National in California and it was brief. So I don't know Annemarie BUT I thought she might enjoy reading all these comments about her husband. I must say I have never seen so much love for a dealer. Does anyone know her any better than me? Maybe if you could print out this thread and send it to her by snail mail (or forward it to her by email) she would appreciate it. I don't know. Your call, forum members who know her. Just a thought. Peace.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:32 PM
Mike Magee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzoumanian View Post
I only met Steve's wife once. I believe it was at a National in California and it was brief. So I don't know Annemarie BUT I thought she might enjoy reading all these comments about her husband. I must say I have never seen so much love for a dealer. Does anyone know her any better than me? Maybe if you could print out this thread and send it to her by snail mail (or forward it to her by email) she would appreciate it. I don't know. Your call, forum members who know her. Just a thought. Peace.
Hi,

I am friends with Steve and Annemarie and would be happy to show her all of these great memories of Steve. I'll wait a day or so to see if anyone wanted to add anything else.

Good idea,

Mike
Old 07-02-2022, 06:30 PM
thomas c killeen

Default A true gentleman

Steve
Always gracious and extremely knowledgeable man. He will be dearly missed in the community of collectors.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:08 AM

Default Great guy he will be missed

Did many deals with Steve..wow 63 is to young...I will miss Steve. RIP
Old 07-03-2022, 06:53 PM

I am stunned to hear this news. I just spoke to Steve at the last Philly show and prior Chantilly show. He was soft spoken and was a great source of knowledge for oddball issues. He was a mainstay at the Philly shows going back to the Ft Washington days...I will miss seeing him. My condolences to his family.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:49 PM

I had the honor of knowing Steve from the Philadelphia. show as well. Sold a 1969 Topps graded 3D Clemente a couple years ago. Loved off-beat cards. After that sale, came buy to see if I had anything else he wanted. Great guy for the hobby and great man. Will be missed by all collectors and dealers who knew him and the ones that wish knew him.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:21 PM

So sad to hear. I’ve done many deals with Steve over the years. Super nice guy & helped me track down many scarce cards. Always had one of the most interesting tables at the Philly Show. I’ll miss you Steve. Philly Show won’t be the same without you.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:07 AM

I didn't have the pleasure to know Steve, but Rest In Peace sir.

Joe
Old 07-06-2022, 10:42 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Wow, shocking and sad; he was, as noted, a super nice guy. I first ran into him at the Philly Show then later on in Westchester. Saw him last year in Chicago, can't believe he's passed. RIP
Old 07-06-2022, 09:28 PM
Dale Walton
Dale Wal.ton

Just curious if his passing was sudden and whether he was at the most recent Chantilly show just a couple of weeks ago. I know he regularly was present at the Chantilly shows and I thought I saw him at the most recent show....but I may be mistaken. I know he was at the Chantilly show before the most recent one.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:05 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by taul166 View Post
Just curious if his passing was sudden and whether he was at the most recent Chantilly show just a couple of weeks ago. I know he regularly was present at the Chantilly shows and I thought I saw him at the most recent show....but I may be mistaken. I know he was at the Chantilly show before the most recent one.
Can't answer if he was at Chantilly, but here is the word I received from another member regarding Steve:

He went for a run and came home and suddenly collapsed. Obviously sounds like a heart attack, unless it was something like a brain aneurysm.

They had just gotten home from a 3-week European vacation and had taken formal family photos with his entire family (including grandchildren) literally the night before.

SO SAD!!!!
Old 07-07-2022, 11:25 AM
Ed Hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by taul166 View Post
Don't know about Chantilly, but I chatted with him briefly in Pittsburgh in May. RIP.
Old 09-26-2023, 12:31 AM

I just discovered this thread only a day after learning about Steve! I had been unable to pay attention to collecting for a couple years (part financial, part other work) so hadn't been to the National or the Philly Show since early 2022. Went this past weekend specifically looking for Steve, and was bummed to see he wasn't there. He always was my favorite booth - both for the quality of the wares and the man. Tried to look him up from the info I had in my phone and from his card, and discovered his passing in an obit and this thread. Sorry I'm so late to this, but I'm really sad to hear about this. My favorite local shop owner in NJ (Randy Fisher) died a couple years back, too. Such great memories, especially in how both treated my son while I got back into collecting and my son developed his own love, including for vintage.