NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-20-2022, 10:32 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Default Restoration and Conservation of Old baseball items.

I recently found a website called Graphic Conservation who look like they do some amazing work on many different types of photo/ephemera items. Especially the sports items they restore look great. They will even repair Display Boxes and the like. Basically anything that comes from a tree looks like it can be made anew.

How common is this to get done?
Is this frowned upon or encouraged?
Some of these pieces I've seen restored are phenomenal and I think some forum members would be interested in bringing a torn up or dirty piece back to life. Some "Barn Condition" items really deserve to look like they did over 100 years ago. But I can also see the charm for some people who enjoy seeing insect holes in a 100 year old poster and enjoy the natural feeling of it.

I am considering sending in some damaged photos myself (though they aren't that bad) I think they would look great touched up. And a damaged '63 Topps box as well.

I attached a few examples of their work.

I would also love to see some before and afters if other forum members have had this kind of work done before.

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 06-20-2022 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:05 AM
Se@n Kel.ly

It's an interesting question I've asked myself on a number of occasions. When is it ok to restore and item, and when should it be left alone? I tend to prefer my memorabilia as close to original condition as possible. I think it adds character, and authenticity to my collection.

That being said, if an item is otherwise a write off (fallen apart, obscured by stains/debris), I think restoration is ok. The item isn't going to be made any worse by a professional conservation. Restoration is done on classic art all the time, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with doing the same for sports collectibles, as long as future owners know they're buying restored items.

Using the examples you posted, I would not have touched the Wagner portrait, but I am ok with the Cleveland restoration (though I would have been fine with it in its original state as well).
Old 06-21-2022, 10:24 AM
Joe M.

Nice restoration. The Florida sun was killing these Detroit Briggs Stadium seats. Decided to restore them. I know many collectors frown on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F376E9AF-A713-4CB4-AB05-1319A55CD591.jpg (207.4 KB, 478 views)
File Type: jpg 145CB9FA-5779-4BD4-B9C3-CB03FAF75349.jpg (199.7 KB, 472 views)

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-21-2022, 10:51 AM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
Nice restoration. The Florida sun was killing these Detroit Briggs Stadium seats. Decided to restore them. I know many collectors frown on this.
Silly question maybe, why did you decide to change the seat numbers during the restoration, and any significance/backstory to picking the numbers "7" and "8"?
Old 06-21-2022, 12:00 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly423 View Post
It's an interesting question I've asked myself on a number of occasions. When is it ok to restore and item, and when should it be left alone? I tend to prefer my memorabilia as close to original condition as possible. I think it adds character, and authenticity to my collection.

That being said, if an item is otherwise a write off (fallen apart, obscured by stains/debris), I think restoration is ok. The item isn't going to be made any worse by a professional conservation. Restoration is done on classic art all the time, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with doing the same for sports collectibles, as long as future owners know they're buying restored items.

Using the examples you posted, I would not have touched the Wagner portrait, but I am ok with the Cleveland restoration (though I would have been fine with it in its original state as well).
This is an acceptable opinion and one I think many collectors share.
But I personally would've liked to get the corner of Ty fixed.

Original Type 1/Press photos etc for sale- https://imageevent.com/lucas00/photosforsale

Last edited by Lucas00; 06-21-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:33 PM

I'm going to check them out. I don't know if they restore newspapers. I have a 1936 Sporting News that belonged to Bob Feller (it came from his estate), and it needs a little love. Any thoughts if this is doable?
Old 06-21-2022, 12:52 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Silly question maybe, why did you decide to change the seat numbers during the restoration, and any significance/backstory to picking the numbers "7" and "8"?
I didn’t want to mess around with 2 more stencils. Lol

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 06-21-2022, 12:56 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
I'm going to check them out. I don't know if they restore newspapers. I have a 1936 Sporting News that belonged to Bob Feller (it came from his estate), and it needs a little love. Any thoughts if this is doable?
Yes, they do newspapers!

Old 06-21-2022, 01:10 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default well

I had some work done by them over 25(!) years ago. I actually think Lifson or Mastro suggested I use them. The initial cost quote was quite high (3 different items) but after some negotiations I had them do the work in the summer (less busy) and they were to be worked on by a tandem of intern and master. I still have one of the pieces on my wall. They did a GREAT job BUT to repeat - they are NOT cheap. An item like that Just So piece was worthy and masterfully executed. More pedestrian pieces I might consider a less expensive conservator. I also used someone recommended here a few years back. It was NOT a good experience so be wary and ask questions. Also look into conservation/restoration as they are different approaches. In general I look only at conservation with regard to what I buy. If it needs to be restored I've found that the costs often exceed the benefit to the aesthetics thereby outpacing the items worth.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:36 PM
Steve Birmingham

I think it's fine, as long as it's disclosed sometime later when it sells.

Some of those items are ones I wouldn't restore, but the Cleveland poster probably wouldn't last if it wasn't worked on.

It may be scanner settings, but it's a bit concerning that the Wagner photo seems to have lost some contrast.

The boxes make me wonder if they were just rebuilt, or if they were also deacidified and conserved at the same time. Without that, the work done will eventually fail.

Most good conservators aren't cheap, just the right materials are costly.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:47 PM
Se@n Kel.ly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
They're closer to the action
Old 06-21-2022, 03:22 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
I didn’t want to mess around with 2 more stencils. Lol
LOL

That actually makes a lot of sense. Good one!
Old 06-21-2022, 05:03 PM
Joe Alberti

I am confused. Restoring cards is ok?
Old 06-21-2022, 05:30 PM
Lüc@s Dëwėãšę

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp View Post
I am confused. Restoring cards is ok?
This is not a service for cards. Though I've seen them rescue a glued scrapbook '52 mantle. As far as I know I don't think they will doctor cards. Though I'm not 100% certain. I can't find any examples on their site.

It's much more aimed toward conservation and preservation of display oriented historical pieces. Like posters, photos, historical documents, displays, letters, boxes etc. Similar to what a museum would have done.

Will attach a cool signed mantle Rawlings point of purchase display I saw on their site to show more of what they do.

Last edited by Lucas00; 06-21-2022 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:26 AM
Mich@el K. Tr0tnic

Last edited by ruth-gehrig; 07-02-2022 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:51 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I bought this non-functional 1921 Exhibit machine:

And decided to restore it myself for a display piece (the mechanism and back cover were gone, and I did not bother to restore them). I hammered out the worst dents, removed/cleaned/replaced the hardware, sanded/cleaned the machine, repainted with a green hammered metal finish, then used one of my favorite items to create a display card:

Now sits proudly in my office reception area. As I recall, it took maybe 20 hours altogether, not counting research time.

I am all for restoring a shit-hammered piece when the alternative is the item is a loss or an unseemly mess.

i once hired a movie poster restoration company to conserve a rare wrestling poster that was folded and falling apart. It is an on-site poster from the 1950s of former heavyweoght champ Primo Carnera from his wrestling days. Had it de-acidified and mounted on linen. I lost money when I sold it, but the poster was really special, so it didn't really bother me.

Before:

I don't have the 'after' but the poster edges were actually intact, just folded under.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-02-2022 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:51 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I bought this non-functional 1921 Exhibit machine:

And decided to restore it myself for a display piece (the mechanism and back cover were gone, and I did not bother to restore them). I hammered out the worst dents, removed/cleaned/replaced the hardware, sanded/cleaned the machine, repainted with a green hammered metal finish, then used one of my favorite items to create a display card:

Now sits proudly in my office reception area. As I recall, it took maybe 20 hours altogether, not counting research time.

I am all for restoring a shit-hammered piece when the alternative is the item is a loss or an unseemly mess.

i once hired a movie poster restoration company to conserve a rare wrestling poster that was folded and falling apart. It is an on-site poster from the 1950s of former heavyweoght champ Primo Carnera from his wrestling days. Had it de-acidified and mounted on linen. I lost money when I sold it, but the poster was really special, so it didn't really bother me.

Before:

I don't have the 'after' but the poster edges were actually intact, just folded under.
Fantastic looking restoration job. Well done!
Old 07-03-2022, 05:43 AM
Paul Lehr

I have no problem with restoration as long as the work is done by a professional and disclosed when sold. Pretty much every other collectable market accepts restoration so I've never understood why it so taboo in the sports market as long as the work is disclosed.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:28 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I don't have a problem with it if disclosed and it is commonplace with any museum.

The issue is that at this time you are likely devaluing the piece with restoration due to collector preference. These trends come and go with collectables and can turn on a dime, much like what happened with the classic car market and that unrestored barn finds are now worth 3-4 times their restored brethren. This was not the case 20 years ago.

If you accept the risk to investment and are always honest about these things, do as you please in my book.

In my personal opinion that Just So is so far gone, it is a logical choice (wish they would have added back the hangers)...the Hans and Robinson poster, not so much.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 07-05-2022 at 04:34 PM.