NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-22-2022, 07:42 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Some great looking cards being posted. This Aaron while correctly graded per PSA standards (very tiny wrinkle at the very top of card) it certainly looks under graded.

Old 01-22-2022, 09:11 AM
Ian H@ll

I love threads like this. I don't have any pre-war items that fit the bill, so here's some vintage. Some wax on the 58 Brooks. I'd put this 57 Kaline up against a lot of 8's and 9's that I've seen from that set. My 71 Kaline shows the drastic change in standards on post-war issues with challenging borders (71 Topps, 62 Topps, 55 Bowman). 10 years ago, I bet that's at least a 6, maybe a 7.

Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 01-23-2022, 08:45 AM

Default T206 Cobbs

Here is my contribution to this thread. One which is way undergraded and the other well it is a Green, so I'll take it, but comparisons to the red? The Red was sent for review and I was told it is 2.5 because of the corners, still shaking my head....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg item_106229_1_252233 (1).jpg (78.1 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg cobb greenfront_original.jpg (75.4 KB, 313 views)
Old 01-23-2022, 09:59 AM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

I guess you could argue that my red Cobb has a correct technical grade due to residue on the back, but I don’t think it would look out of place in at least a 1.5 holder… Likewise with my E95 Plank, back staining and a tiny defect on the front left border account for the grade, but I’ve seen 4s that don’t look nearly as good…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2022, 03:18 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbymarine View Post
I love threads like this. I don't have any pre-war items that fit the bill, so here's some vintage. Some wax on the 58 Brooks. I'd put this 57 Kaline up against a lot of 8's and 9's that I've seen from that set. My 71 Kaline shows the drastic change in standards on post-war issues with challenging borders (71 Topps, 62 Topps, 55 Bowman). 10 years ago, I bet that's at least a 6, maybe a 7.

57T Kaline looks great. I don't think the 71T is a 5 because of the borders. If the Brooks got knocked all the way down to 2 because of the back stains that's brutal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2022, 06:43 PM
Ian H@ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorditadogg View Post
57T Kaline looks great. I don't think the 71T is a 5 because of the borders. If the Brooks got knocked all the way down to 2 because of the back stains that's brutal.
I hadn't considered other issues on the 71T Kaline, so I got it out and took a much closer look. I don't see any other issues other than the borders, BUT upon closer inspection the top left and bottom left corners do show heavier touches than the scan would indicate. Based on that, a 5 seems tough, but that's where PSA is currently.

Re: 58 Brooks - I'm not sure on the technical rules of wax on the reverse of cards. But the top right and bottom right corners are dinged pretty well. Given that, it's a 5 at best. Without the wax, it's one of the best looking 5's. As is, it's one of the best looking 2's.
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906
Old 06-24-2022, 03:04 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Here is a Broad Leaf card that looks to be completely devoid of wrinkles, creases, or paper loss. The only issues I can find are a bit of staining and some excess printing of some kind along the front border area. Otherwise, it looks like a 5 to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220321_0001.jpg (226.2 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220321_0002.jpg (216.0 KB, 232 views)
Old 06-24-2022, 05:03 PM

Default Undergraded cards

Hi all- I lack your tech expertise to upload here, so I'll just comment that
the most consistent thing I'm seeing from both PSA/SGC is brutal treatment
of cards that have even the most faint creasing. I own a 71 Topps basketball
Oscar Robertson that got a 4 from PSA (new label). I buy the card not the
holder, so I'm happy own it- but it's grotesquely undergraded. Turns out
that, if you hold it against a window at high noon and train the Hubble
telescope on it just right, you can make out a wrinkle that is the size of an
ant. Great...

I wish slabbers would adopt the "call overturn" language from NCAA football
(or is it NFL?). Unless a flaw is "clear and convincing", it doesn't count
against! And, just like with those replay idiots in the booth, if it takes 3
minutes and 6 camera angles to maybe find a problem, it is NOT "clear and
convincing"- no flaw:!!

I feel better.

Trent King
Old 06-24-2022, 06:47 PM
Rob

Nice BL, Rob. They may have dinged it for tobacco stains and pencil writing? Top right?

To me, grading is for Topps era cards. Here's one I got yesterday in Sterling. Not a bad card for a 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t205tinkerhas649.jpg (34.1 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpeg t205tinkerhas649b.jpeg (149.7 KB, 194 views)
Old 06-24-2022, 07:24 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Thank you. I got it from a fine member here a couple of years ago. Regarding that mark in the upper right border area, I'm not sure if it's due to ghosting or imprinting after factory production, but I am certain it isn't a pencil, marker, or pen mark. That much I'm sure of. The grade is a real head scratcher, so anyone else can feel free to chime in with their own opinion as well. Should tobacco stains be enough to downgrade it to a "fair" condition? Well if so, then what about all of those multi-stained Polar Bear examples on the market that have graded much better? And it isn't just PSA being PSA either. I bought the card in an SGC 2 holder and decided to cross it over, so the 1.5 is what I wound up with.

And by the way, that Tinker card is stunning! No way should it be only a 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Nice BL, Rob. They may have dinged it for tobacco stains and pencil writing? Top right?

To me, grading is for Topps era cards. Here's one I got yesterday in Sterling. Not a bad card for a 3.

Last edited by robw1959; 06-28-2022 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:17 PM
Ron Rice

Default Psa

PSA seems brutally tough on cards where their review process detects a little glue residue from scrapbook removal. If you can feel the residue with your fingers on the back of a card, you are likely to get a PSA 1 or 2, even if the card has no creases. I've had 3 cards where I've cracked them back out and I could feel some residue I hadn't noticed before. I had a couple of PSA 2's that I thought were likely to get a PSA 6.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:00 AM
J0hn Collin$

I no longer own this card, but I bought it as an SGC 5, busted it (when this picture was taken...) and then sent it to them again and they gave it a 6.5.

Definite NM qualities in terms of eye-appeal; what confused the grade I think was a tiny but definitely there scratch / light cut in the surface of the upper right corner. I don't think you can even see it here. Needless to say, I benefited from the 1.5 bump when I sold it at the height of the bubble. I chalked the discrepancy up to SGC's internal turmoil at the time, and what must have been a lot of newbie graders to train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 07-05-2022 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:51 AM
Scott Russell

Coming soon to an auction near you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paige4.jpg (191.8 KB, 49 views)
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-05-2022, 10:03 AM
Chase

Not sure how I missed this thread the first time. Some of you posted some great examples of cards appearing 2 grades nicer than their assessed grade...Leon's Cobb, the 57 Kaline and the 54 Aaron 4 are a few that come to mind.

My frustration with the inconsistency in grade and appearance is when no matter how much I look at the cards prior to grading and after grading I cannot figure out why it graded as it did. The assumption is that I missed something which I just cannot believe is the case every time.

Scott, the 49 Paige is a great looking example but I think it is graded right. The two top corners and there is a tiny wrinkle on the right edge just above Paige's shoulder.