NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-01-2022, 09:21 AM
Drew W@i$e

Default Sellers listing past prices

Not so much on NET54, but what are thoughts on sellers listing past prices for a card.

Example: I paid $500, selling for $450.

For me, that has no bearing on the current price of the card.

I also never see it the other way around:

I paid $500 3 years ago, it is now $2k
Old 07-01-2022, 09:41 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Personally, I don't care one way or another. In your case the seller isn't stating anything not factual, and it is just additional information for a buyer to consider. However, I believe a seller should be mindful and accepting if someone corrects them on a "the last example sold for $x" type statement. For instance if someone says the last SGC 2 sold for $1000 and you can show a more recent sale of an SGC 2 was actually $500.
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 07-01-2022, 09:45 AM
Bill Cauley

I don't recall seeing this before but if I did, I'd just assume it's the seller trying to make it look like a deal for a potential buyer.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:08 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

It sounds like the car dealership I was at last week. I replied, "With all due respect, I could care less how much you have an it as that has no bearing on my bank account."
Old 07-01-2022, 02:16 PM

I love at shows when the dealers say, "Let me see what I have into it"
Old 07-01-2022, 03:18 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post

Having worked at card shows and in sports collectibles stores for roughly 20 years I think that's a legitimate statement to make. We would have to purchase our older cards at shows to replenish our inventory and dealers weren't always generous in discounting their prices for the competition, us, to resell. If it was an out-of-state show, there were extra expenses added on to what we purchased. Our markup wasn't exorbitant, so we did have to consider what we paid and if we could afford to offer a discount.

For newly released cards if the wholesaler didn't have what we needed, we would go to the confectionary stores to buy as many boxes as they would allow. However, they were loyal to the ice cream sellers and we were limited to 2-3 boxes, which meant driving to several locations in search of cards. From each box, we probably made $5.00 after all of the packs were sold. Why go through all that hassle? Many of our sales were for newer material and if we didn't have the cards the collectors were looking for, they would go somewhere else, thus potentially losing a continuing customer to a competitor. Southern California in the 80s through the mid-90s had tons of card shops and shows, (how I miss those days), and the competition was tough. So, if someone wanted to buy an entire box, we would certainly have to consider what we would have into it as even a .50 difference in price could win or lose the sale.

Now, if I'm at a yard sale and the seller tells me what they may have into it or they have to see what it's selling for on Offer Up, I tend to say no unless it's a deal.

Happy collecting.

Phil aka Tere1071
Old 07-01-2022, 07:22 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
Alan, when a dealer then mentions a seemingly high price he paid for it, do I correctly assume that your response to this dealer is, "were you sober when you bought it"?
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.