NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-23-2020, 06:21 PM
Michael S.

Default Probably been discussed 1,000,000x's...

I know virtually nothing about the new, shiny card market and would like a little knowledge into the exploding phenomenon.

All these brands...all of the sub brands of brands...refractors...speckled... I am at a complete loss...

Why the extreme price difference for the same player, same year, etc... between things like Bowman Chrome vs Bowman Sterling vs Panini Prism vs Leaf vs Etc...

Thanks!

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 07-23-2020, 06:52 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Basics:

Bowman Chrome (and BC Prospects and BC Draft) are the gold standard in prospect cards, because they've been constantly produced since about 2000. Since they're released three times a year, they normally have the first produced prospect and prospect auto cards of players in their draft team's major league uniform (although they're all airbrushed on). Consistency, MLB uniform, player selection, on card autos are all the main reasons this has been the King for decades.

Bowman Sterling is not consistently released, so it has less interest because very few players have Sterling cards or autos, and many of those autos are stickers that the player signed sheets of and the company stuck them on once they were mailed back. So the player almost never handled those cards, only filled out the stickers.

Panini Prizm (+Team USA, Donruss, etc): Panini does not have an MLB license, so they were a distant second to the Topps licensed products above. Some people like their Team USA cards since they have autos and patches of players before they get drafted if they play for any of the 3 Team USA teams (under 14?, under 19?, and Collegiate). Most people still ignore them because if those players are any good, they'll end up getting Bowman cards. Because of the popularity of Prizm basketball during the coronavirus situation, Prizm has inexplicably been on fire this year by NEW TO THE HOBBY kids who are being told to invest in them by Youtube "gurus."

Leaf is third string. They also don't have the MLB license and have to list teams like "Los Angeles NL" and also have to airbrush out MLB team logos or use pictures that don't show them. Leaf's owner had a very close relationship with BGS and used to get a lot of their cards graded to insert in boxes before they were released. Some people hate that, because they don't believe BGS is awarding those grades fairly (search "Eagle Eye Joe" on blowout).

Upper Deck sometimes has baseball players and prospects in their Goodwin Champions release, which is an oddball multisport and nonsports issue very similar to Topps' Allen & Ginter.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:56 PM
Michael S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Basics:

Bowman Chrome (and BC Prospects and BC Draft) are the gold standard in prospect cards, because they've been constantly produced since about 2000. Since they're released three times a year, they normally have the first produced prospect and prospect auto cards of players in their draft team's major league uniform (although they're all airbrushed on). Consistency, MLB uniform, player selection, on card autos are all the main reasons this has been the King for decades.

Bowman Sterling is not consistently released, so it has less interest because very few players have Sterling cards or autos, and many of those autos are stickers that the player signed sheets of and the company stuck them on once they were mailed back. So the player almost never handled those cards, only filled out the stickers.

Panini Prizm (+Team USA, Donruss, etc): Panini does not have an MLB license, so they were a distant second to the Topps licensed products above. Some people like their Team USA cards since they have autos and patches of players before they get drafted if they play for any of the 3 Team USA teams (under 14?, under 19?, and Collegiate). Most people still ignore them because if those players are any good, they'll end up getting Bowman cards. Because of the popularity of Prizm basketball during the coronavirus situation, Prizm has inexplicably been on fire this year by NEW TO THE HOBBY kids who are being told to invest in them by Youtube "gurus."

Leaf is third string. They also don't have the MLB license and have to list teams like "Los Angeles NL" and also have to airbrush out MLB team logos or use pictures that don't show them. Leaf's owner had a very close relationship with BGS and used to get a lot of their cards graded to insert in boxes before they were released. Some people hate that, because they don't believe BGS is awarding those grades fairly (search "Eagle Eye Joe" on blowout).

Upper Deck sometimes has baseball players and prospects in their Goodwin Champions release, which is an oddball multisport and nonsports issue very similar to Topps' Allen & Ginter.

Wow - that is a very clear and concise intro. It really hit on everything that I was wondering. Thanks so much!!!!

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 07-24-2020, 05:59 AM
John De Bord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmount76 View Post
I know virtually nothing about the new, shiny card market and would like a little knowledge into the exploding phenomenon.

All these brands...all of the sub brands of brands...refractors...speckled... I am at a complete loss...

Why the extreme price difference for the same player, same year, etc... between things like Bowman Chrome vs Bowman Sterling vs Panini Prism vs Leaf vs Etc...

Thanks!
Tell me about it. I came back to the hobby in October after nearly 30 years and my mind is still blown at how much has changed & how different it is. I still don't know everything .
Old 07-24-2020, 07:04 AM
Al Richter

John---Jack Handey has said when you finally know everything and thus reach total enlightenment, beer shoots out of your nose
Old 07-24-2020, 08:24 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Basics:

ho are being told to invest in them by Youtube "gurus."

Well Leaf will be right if they print 'Washington' football cards...they will be right of the team name
Old 07-24-2020, 08:55 AM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
John---Jack Handey has said when you finally know everything and thus reach total enlightenment, beer shoots out of your nose
I've found that beer also shoots out of your nose while reading humorous message board posts and drinking beer at the same time.

Last edited by tonyo; 07-24-2020 at 08:55 AM.