NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-16-2020, 12:42 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Default So I started a Roberto Clemente "project".....

Yep, thats right.
Some of you asked me if I was going to do a Clemente project after how well my "Mickey Mantle project" turned out so nice and crisp after getting it framed.

(If you missed that thread, it is located here ~~~~~~~> https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271449)

I was so happy with it, and after being able to truly "enjoy" my project and not have cards just " locked away somewhere"....... I debated for just 3-4 days and I quickly decided to start a ROBERTO CLEMENTE PROJECT.

Now, it will obviously be different and once again I am sure not everyone will agree with my choices for cards.
If you followed my last thread, you know the drill.
I'm essentially shooting for solid eye-appeal cards, that won't break the bank. More overall appeal , not necessarily "perfectly centered", nor "4 razor wire sharp corners", but cards that look solid yet are still affordable. Like last time, I actually don't want anything minty fresh, but I want something that presents like actual vintage cards. No reprints allowed.

The good news is, this should be cheaper than my Mickey Mantle project and thats one of the reasons I should finish this one much faster. I did have a few life issues get in the way on the Mantle, and of course the worldwide pandemic threw a massive spanner in the works last time as well.
I eventually got it done and it turned out beautiful. (finished framed pictures are near the end of the Mantle project thread, linked above)

I likely won't have a Clemente rookie for monetary reasons, but I will try and include 1-2 of his early cards, depending on what I can sniff out and dig up in my looking over the next month or two. I am almost certain to include a '57 Topps. Those '57s were beautiful, and you can find a low grade example more reasonably than you might expect.

If anyone happens to have any lower end Clemente cards that they feel may fit right in, feel free to shoot me a P.M. I just *may* have interest if its something I feel will be appropriate as I begin to gather items for this.

SIDE NOTE - I believe the Mantle display was 36X48, although I would have to look back to verify the exact measurements.
Most likely, instead of making this one vertical like the Mantle, I'm going to make this one horizontal instead. There are a couple reasons for this, but if I land the autographed item I have been looking at, I believe it will look better if I make this layout horizontal rather than vertical.
I'm also debating on using a brown , or even a burgundy matte on this one, and not the green again..... though that green turned out really nice and clean.
Taking the colors on his cards in consideration ( in Clemente cards, a LOT of black, and gold for the Pirates colors are used) the burgundy might be the way I go....I'm really not sure yet and will definitely lay a bunch of it out at the shop with various colors and proceed from there.
Regardless, I will continue to tinker with the layout and how I want it to look as time passes..... and that will definitely be impacted by how many cards I want to include. (and whether or not I get the one autographed item I have been looking at)

So let us begin.

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 06-16-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:08 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

6-13

Pickup #1 is a stunning 1972 Topps.
This one was a bit of a no-brainer. There is so much black white and gold across all of Clemente's cards (The Pirates colors....) snagging a bright '72 Topps is the perfect contrast to some of the other cards and more prevalent darker colors.
I knew right out of the gate this would definitely be one I would include and I stumbled across a beautiful raw example.

Once again, excuse the poor cellphone pictures. This is just amazing in hand. It has a tiny nick on a couple of the corners that undoubtedly keeps it from a very high grade indeed. Even the centering on this one is just awesome.
For $49 shipped, I thought it is the absolute perfect fit for this project.
Although the '72's were never my favorite issue, after getting this one in hand it looks so nice, I will likely pick up another graded copy to tuck away with the rest of my Clemente collection as well.

ARRIBA~!

Successful deals with - "HCV123"/Howard Chasser, "ejstel" , "mzljapan" , "aronbenabe" , "Santo10Fan" , " Robextend", "rjackson44", "Wanaselja", "eliminator", "Dboneesq" , "Oneofthree67", "Lucas00", "ccre" , "D. Bergin" and several others.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 10-12-2020 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:37 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

6-14

Pickup #2 is a 1962 Post Cereal card, and it has always been amongst my favorites.
This is yet another "bright" card, that I knew I would definitely include. I have always thought the red and yellow just popped, and the overall look and colors on this card are just fantastic.

As many of you know, these being "hand cut" can lead to all sorts of problems at times. Bunches of these on Ebay seem to have cut issues, and finding one at a very low price often leads to a ton of problems with this particular card. Poor border hand cuts, wrinkles and creases, dull color and focus issues, and several other problems are widespread with this card.....and most ALL Post cards it seems.
Now, the hand cut on this one isn't great, (but its not as bad as it looks in this picture) but the thing that stood out on this one to me , is the color on this one looks great and thats why I ultimately pulled the trigger.

Geesh, there was a light over towards the right side in this picture, and it causes the card to look washed out a bit and there is a definite glare along the right side. It also looks like it was sitting up on the blanket at an angle, so the picture certainly isn't the best.

It looks far better in person, and even though its yet another pick up that's definitely not "minty fresh", its right in my wheelhouse for this project.

I already have picked up another card, but it may be another day or two before it arrives.

Also let it be known that I finally picked up a copy of "Clemente: The Passion and Grace of Baseballs Last Hero by David Maraniss".
I had actually been wanting to pick up this book, but just never did the last few years.
Although I am very familiar with much of his story, I'm betting it will be a great read. So many people have recommended it to me and told me to get a copy, I just had to finally go ahead and snag me one.

I will add in my newest pickup in the next couple of days.......

Last edited by DJCollector1; 06-17-2020 at 01:46 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 08:14 AM

Scott,

Looking forward to see how this one turns out. If you’re going to be adding a cut signature/signed index, be careful. A lot of forgeries/friend signed items out there. Good luck in your quest.

Mike
Old 06-17-2020, 08:22 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Scott,

Looking forward to see how this one turns out. If you’re going to be adding a cut signature/signed index, be careful. A lot of forgeries/friend signed items out there. Good luck in your quest.

Mike

Yes, there are a bunch of bad ones. But there are definitely some good ones to be had.
I actually contacted another board member concerning the "item" I was looking at getting.
I will try and PM you in a bit.

Meanwhile, today this came TTM.
Sure, its not a card, but its something I had been wanting reading for some time, and I just finally got around to picking it up off Ebay.

I have heard nothing but good reviews on this book, so I'm anxious to get into it.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:46 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

6-16

Next up to the pump..............

When I saw this card I couldn't pass it up. I knew I was going to include a colorful 1960 Topps in my project anyway.
Although there is a bit of a glare that keeps from showing how truly sharp this card is, you can see the majority of its strengths.
(It does have a slight bit of tilt, for the centering obsessed) But the color and overall look of this one, I thought was great right out of the gate.
Notice the lack of snow and print dots out in the blue field to the left, and thats a serious issue with all 1960 cards.

(In fact I thought about grading it, but I will likely leave it as is and slip it into my project)

Overall this one just popped, and seemed like a perfect fit for my Clemente display.

I have a few more pickups on the horizon, and will likely have 1-2 more by the end of next week.
A good start though.

A few of you know, I was "looking" at a Clemente signed item the last couple weeks.
I did indeed strike a deal with that particular website, and I agreed this morning on a price and to get that item.
Its going to make an excellent addition, and I'm excited to add this in to my collection.
I will have a picture in the next few days to add in here.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 03-29-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:58 PM

Congrats on the auto pickup!
Old 06-20-2020, 09:24 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Congrats on the auto pickup!
Thank you sir!

Can't wait for it to roll in, I'm assuming I will hear more from them Monday morning.

Need to pick up a few more cards for this display.
I kind of like a few of the newer bat/relic cards, but a big part of me wants to keep this to the older cards and vintage items.

I'm currently looking at a '72 Topps In Action card, and they are surprisingly cheap. Often can be had raw for less than $12-$15 bucks. I was not aware of that.
I mentioned it, but I think I'm going to snag a Deckle Edge.... kinda perfect for this. A good image, and very '60s looking.
The OPC versions are more expensive, but I like those as well.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:48 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

So late Saturday afternoon, I get a knock at the door, and its the USPS.
I knew immediately what it was, although oddly enough I never was informed in advance it was en route, no tracking number, nothing. (I WAS told my order had been processed though....) Weird.

Other than that, my transaction was very smooth.
I believe they were "just getting back to normal" and were backlogged at the time, thus leading to some shipping issues. Their website said they were behind, because of just returning to work/virus restrictions etc.

I had mentioned to a couple of you I had been looking at a multi-signed item, and this is it.

1957 Cards/Pirates signed scorecard.

Signed by BILL MAZEROSKI
BOB PURKEY
BOB SKINNER
BUDDY PRITCHARD
DON BLASINGAME
ED KASKO
JOE TRIMBLE
JOHNNY O'BRIEN
KEN BOYER
KEN HAMLIN
ROBERTO CLEMENTE
ROMAN MEIJAS
VERNON LAW X2

Bill Mazeroski signed at the top middle, and Clemente down along the bottom right.

Excuse the poor cell phone pictures, as currently I have no scanner.
Although you can tell its age, it is definitely more vibrant in hand than what shows in these cell phone pictures.
Although it was in a plastic protector, I noticed immediately it was NOT in an acid free sleeve, and I slid it in one ASAP.

Easily my pickup of the year, and my favorite piece since I have come back to the hobby a few years ago.

More Clemente items for my display coming soon.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 07-21-2020 at 10:06 PM. Reason: New scanner shots.........
Old 06-29-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCollector1 View Post
So late Saturday afternoon, I get a knock at the door, and its the USPS.
I knew immediately what it was, although oddly enough I never was informed in advance it was en route, no tracking number, nothing. (I WAS told my order had been processed though....) Weird.

Other than that, my transaction was very smooth.
I believe they were "just getting back to normal" and were backlogged at the time, thus leading to some shipping issues. Their website said they were behind, because of just returning to work/virus restrictions etc.

I had mentioned to a couple of you I had been looking at a multi-signed item, and this is it.

1957 Cards/Pirates signed scorecard.

Signed by BILL MAZEROSKI
BOB PURKEY
BOB SKINNER
BUDDY PRITCHARD
DON BLASINGAME
ED KASKO
JOE TRIMBLE
JOHNNY O'BRIEN
KEN BOYER
KEN HAMLIN
ROBERTO CLEMENTE
ROMAN MEIJAS
VERNON LAW X2

Bill Mazeroski signed at the top middle, and Clemente down along the bottom right.

Excuse the poor cell phone pictures, as currently I have no scanner.
Although you can tell its age, it is definitely more vibrant in hand than what shows in these cell phone pictures.
Although it was in a plastic protector, I noticed immediately it was NOT in an acid free sleeve, and I slid it in one ASAP.

Easily my pickup of the year, and my favorite piece since I have come back to the hobby a few years ago.

More Clemente items for my display coming soon.
Congrats Scott! Glad you were able to make the deal.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:45 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Still stoked over the auto pickup, I also have a couple other items on the way in.
Yesterday this one came in, which ironically is one of my favorite cards of his.

Its actually surprisingly cheap raw. In fact, many of his later issue cards are very cheap ungraded. One would think the '68-'73 cards are more expensive than they are on one of the games greatest, but its not so. These years in particular can be had very modestly, ( obviously raw there can be problems) although a clean '71 will bring a premium because of the dark borders.

1968 Topps All Star

There are plenty of great looking copies of this one to be had reasonably.
Centering can be an issue, but looking around for a bit can easily pay off.
I've always thought he had a bit of a "determined look" on this one, but he often did.
One of my favorite issues, and its well centered, corners are strong and again, great color, but you can't see it as well in this "slightly worn" Card Saver.

I alluded to this before, but this will be behind UV protective glass. Any "help" with colors that really pop is a good thing, and this one is definitely no exception.
Even though I can a bit "OCD" with centering at times, these projects must take overall presentation and colors more seriously.
It really will help the overall appeal when I'm done, and colors help stand out when its "on display".
When you can find a card with strong coloring, overall look/appeal AND decent centering, then its a win-win.

I know not all these cards are "perfect" for whatever reason. But I really think it helps the piece itself if it has a small "bit of wear" here and there.
Makes it look more "real", or true vintage. Sort of gives these some "character", and you can still imagine some young kid opening a pack and discovering these cards~~!
If I wanted perfect razor sharp corners and crystal clear items, I'd probably use reprints......... But I'm not interested in going that route.

Already snagged another item that should be here any day.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:52 AM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Yikes...….…….
Not sure if any of you are using Firefox as a browser, but after an update a few days ago I have NOT been able to access the board on my FF browser.

So I'm temporarily using IE, for this board.

I snagged this next one, early last week.

- 1973 Topps -

Other than a slight nick to the bottom right corner, this card is beautiful.
Great color, strong centering, and is a perfect fit for this display.
(I need to pick up a scanner, these cell phone shots don't do many of these items justice)

Ironically, I have never been a fan of '73 Topps, but this is one of the better shots in my opinion.

I'm starting to tinker with a few design layouts, and I may have mentioned I am going to make this one horizontal, not vertical like I did with the Mickey Mantle.
I did the Mantle in a dark green, and it turned out beautiful.
I don't think I will go the green route this time though, I may opt for a rich burgundy, or maybe even a dark brown. I think a dark brown would really make the colors jump, but I will tinker with a few colors.

I'm stopping by a buddies in the next 2-3 days, and I hope to get the signed scorecard scanned so it can be shown a bit better than the poor quality shots above.

Already got a couple more pickups heading my way this week.
This project is starting to take shape.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 10-12-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:08 AM
M@rk Comer

Some really nice Clemente cards so far. The 1972 Topps is my favorite card that you picked up so far; there’s nothing about that card that I don’t like. I’m sure you’ll have some larger versions of Clemente cards or team issue phots. Looking forward to see what your going to include in your project. So far so good...
Old 07-09-2020, 03:08 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
Some really nice Clemente cards so far. The 1972 Topps is my favorite card that you picked up so far; there’s nothing about that card that I don’t like. I’m sure you’ll have some larger versions of Clemente cards or team issue phots. Looking forward to see what your going to include in your project. So far so good...

Yep, I'm happy with the pickups so far, although I wish the Post was slightly better hand cut.
The color really helps (hard to tell with these cell phone shots though) so that's a plus.

Ironically, I'm trying to figure a way to get in one of the photos or bigger cards into this, but it may not happen.
REASON - I will likely include my signed scorecard, and that's really big.
This is already going to be a pretty big framed piece all things considered, and if I add in something larger like that it might make it too big.

I'll have to look at some more design ideas and how much room I have in my "dedicated area" where its going to go.

Another one came in today. I'll post it shortly.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:21 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Due to a few technical issues with my browser, I haven't posted until a bit ago, but snagged another card a few days back.

- 1969 Topps Deckle Edge -

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I was pretty sure I was going to include this one, if I could find an example I liked.
I looked around several places, and ultimately ended up getting this one on Ebay for $26.
I thought it was a great price, considering the centering was fairly decent for a "notoriously poor-centered" issue.
Once again, here is a card that screams '60s and I really like the classic vintage look.
Won't ever be worth much since they were fairly widely produced, and they never "took off" with collectors..... but its a perfect addition to this project.

I already have 1-2 others on the way, so I will have another to post in the next day or two.

Still debating picking up one late '50s card, but I haven't quite made my mind up which one I will ultimately get.
'57 - '58 - 59, all three I actually like, but I will have to choose only one or two of those to include. The price on these are quite a bit higher than some of his later cards.

Old 07-11-2020, 05:59 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Due to technical board issues (and a bit of an inconvenience on the home front LOL) I haven't been able to post in a couple days.

My latest acquisition is...………..

- '71 Topps -

I wanted to steer clear of as much edge chipping as I could with these, which most know its a serious issue with this particular year.
The centering although not perfect, (its off a bit top to bottom) it still pretty damn good all things considered.
The colors jump off the card on this one, which was key for me in snagging it.
I thought it fit the bill perfectly, and for roughly $65 I was happy with it.
As per usual, there is a bit of a reflection and glare in the lower right corner, (which is worse because I didn't take it out of the penny sleeve) but the poor cell phone pictures don't do this one justice.

I've been tinkering with some design layouts, and I think I have room for 2 more cards, so now I need to decide which 2 I really want to include.
I'm bound to get a decent eye appeal, but low grade/raw '57-'58- or '59.
I've been watching a few, but due to a few things on my end, I may not be able to pick something up for another week or so.

If anyone has a decent looking '57-'58 or '59 at a good price, feel free to PM me, I may be interested.

Hopefully in the next week or so I will be able to get the last couple items.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 07-11-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 06:02 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Just got in another card for this display.
I knew all along I would snag one of these, as I think its one of the more "important" post war cards, and the only card to picture all three of these players together as far as I can remember. I know there's a few photos of them together, but not any cards other than this one, that I can recall offhand.
These are still relatively affordable cards, but expect a $300+ pricetag in PSA 8 or higher.

(I *DO* have a PSA 8 copy of one of these too, tucked away)
In fact, when I returned to the hobby a few years back, this is one of the first cards I went after. I think this is a "must have" for most post war collectors personally. Not terribly expensive, and a card featuring 3 of the all time greats.

- 1966 Topps batting leaders -

The centering isn't the best on this one, but the color is very strong in hand and ultimately that's why I bought it.
Anything behind glass , like this will be....... needs to have good color, and this one has it in spades.
Sooner or later I'll nab a scanner so I won't need to use these poor cell phone pictures, but you get the idea.

For a mere $39 + shipping, I thought it was a great pickup for this project, and it fits the bill perfectly.

Only room for 1-2 cards more, so I'm closing in on getting this one done too. Currently eyeing a decent eye appeal '57 or a '58.
If any of you guys have a raw '57 or '58 that might be something along the lines of what I'm looking for, feel free to drop me a PM.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I will finish this project and go back to my normal type PC pickups.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 07-27-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 08:49 AM

Love those Leaders cards DJ, nice pickups all around. My favorite might be the 1960.

I'm also working on a Koufax project gathering PSA graded and love those Leaders cards especially from 66 and 67!!
Old 08-03-2020, 06:42 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

So I "bit the bullet" and ended up getting a card a bit lower (condition wise) that I like for these projects, but it really was the only way I could keep the budget down to something reasonable.

I nailed this about 5 days back, after sending what I thought to be a bit of a low ball offer.

- 1956 Topps -

I wanted to snag one very early Clemente for this project, and I had been looking at '57s and '58s. Ultimately I threw a "shot in the dark" offer on this one, and I was pleasantly surprised.
The crease is a bit distracting, and it has some very light scratches, but the color is pretty strong in hand.

Its not quite up to my usual standard, but I knew if I was going to keep the overall cost down, I would have to find this one a bit lower grade.
The light placing and glare from the overhead right side is doing it no favors, and kind of makes the crease stand out a bit more.

I actually got this one for roughly the same amount a lower-to-mid grade '57-'58 would run me, so I went this route as its one of my favorite Clemente cards.

I will add a higher grade example soon for my Clemente collection, and tuck it away.

Just about to wrap this one up.
I need to tinker with a few design layouts, and I think I only have room for one or two more cards at most.

On the back stretch now..............

Old 08-04-2020, 10:59 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Just got in another card for this display.
I knew all along I would snag one of these, as I think its one of the more "important" post war cards, and the only card to picture all three of these players together as far as I can remember. I know there's a few photos of them together, but not any cards other than this one, that I can recall offhand.
These are still relatively affordable cards, but expect a $300+ pricetag in PSA 8 or higher.

(I *DO* have a PSA 8 copy of one of these too, tucked away)
In fact, when I returned to the hobby a few years back, this is one of the first cards I went after. I think this is a "must have" for most post war collectors personally. Not terribly expensive, and a card featuring 3 of the all time greats.

- 1966 Topps batting leaders -

The centering isn't the best on this one, but the color is very strong in hand and ultimately that's why I bought it.
Anything behind glass , like this will be....... needs to have good color, and this one has it in spades.
Sooner or later I'll nab a scanner so I won't need to use these poor cell phone pictures, but you get the idea.

For a mere $39 + shipping, I thought it was a great pickup for this project, and it fits the bill perfectly.

Only room for 1-2 cards more, so I'm closing in on getting this one done too. Currently eyeing a decent eye appeal '57 or a '58.
If any of you guys have a raw '57 or '58 that might be something along the lines of what I'm looking for, feel free to drop me a PM.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I will finish this project and go back to my normal type PC pickups.

Quote:
So I "bit the bullet" and ended up getting a card a bit lower (condition wise) that I like for these projects, but it really was the only way I could keep the budget down to something reasonable.

I nailed this about 5 days back, after sending what I thought to be a bit of a low ball offer.

- 1956 Topps -

I wanted to snag one very early Clemente for this project, and I had been looking at '57s and '58s. Ultimately I threw a "shot in the dark" offer on this one, and I was pleasantly surprised.
The crease is a bit distracting, and it has some very light scratches, but the color is pretty strong in hand.

Its not quite up to my usual standard, but I knew if I was going to keep the overall cost down, I would have to find this one a bit lower grade.
The light placing and glare from the overhead right side is doing it no favors, and kind of makes the crease stand out a bit more.

I actually got this one for roughly the same amount a lower-to-mid grade '57-'58 would run me, so I went this route as its one of my favorite Clemente cards.

I will add a higher grade example soon for my Clemente collection, and tuck it away.

Just about to wrap this one up.
I need to tinker with a few design layouts, and I think I only have room for one or two more cards at most.

On the back stretch now..............

I picked up a copy back a few years and was told then this is the only card with the 3 players on it.
I also purchased a 56 Clemente some time ago as well. Glad I purchased it when I did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clemente.jpg (75.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Roberto.jpg (79.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 08-04-2020, 04:07 PM
Scott M.@.r.k.s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I picked up a copy back a few years and was told then this is the only card with the 3 players on it.
I also purchased a 56 Clemente some time ago as well. Glad I purchased it when I did.

Beautiful copies Dale.

I wrote in the "Post War must-haves" thread, that I think the '65 Batting leaders should be more popular than it is, since you have essentially 3 of the finest of that time frame, all arguably in their prime.
https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=286665

I have a PSA 8 of that one tucked away, and it was one of the first cards I went after when I returned to the hobby.

This "Clemente project" will all be framed and displayed where I can enjoy it regularly. (with my bigger $$$ cards/higher grades locked away)

The '56 is a monster of a card, and I will ultimately snag another high grade copy at some point, and it probably won't be long either.
People that have followed my posts here (or on Blowout), may remember my father and I had a gorgeous '55 Clemente rookie back in the '80s. Life happens, my parents got divorced and all the cards we had were sold back then. I will replace it sooner or later.......its probably sitting in a PSA 5-6 holder in someones collection somewhere.

I'm almost done with this project, then I will resume picking up some higher grade PC items.

Not sure if you ever saw it, but here is how my "Mantle project" turned out.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=271449

I still need to figure out how to layout this one. Oddly enough, I ended up getting more horizontal cards, and not as many vertical cards.

I'm going to tinker with a few layouts tonight, and see how many more cards I need, maybe 1-2 tops.

Last edited by DJCollector1; 08-04-2020 at 04:08 PM.