NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-06-2016, 07:30 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1972 T0PPS test set of 1953 reprints

I am curious as to how rare this set is. It's been reported that TOPPS issued only 300 sets in 1972.

If this is true, then these 8 cards probably rank high as one of the most scarcest post-WWII issues.

I'm wondering how many collectors on this forum have any (or all 8) of them ?

Here is my set of them....

Hey guys....show us your cards.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 09-06-2016 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:46 AM
Al Richter

I have the set, and think I saw most if not all of a set on eBay recently ( offered as singles). I see them offered on eBay from time to time, not infrequently I think.

I still think there has to be more to the story behind this set where 3 of only 8 cards are mis identified. . The idea they had these 8 pictures but wanted to upgrade the set with better named players to market it on a test basis in Brooklyn hoping no one would notice seems far fetched .

Do we know of any other hobby publications that noted the issuance or release of the set ?
Old 09-06-2016, 08:12 AM
Anthøny N. ex

I've got a full set now, and at one point about 8 years ago had 3 sets.
Here's mine, I've upgraded the Newhouser shown but don't have a scan of the new one.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:16 AM
Al Richter

Old 09-06-2016, 09:41 AM
Howie Schenker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
I have the set, and think I saw most if not all of a set on eBay recently ( offered as singles). I see them offered on eBay from time to time, not infrequently I think.

I still think there has to be more to the story behind this set where 3 of only 8 cards are mis identified. . The idea they had these 8 pictures but wanted to upgrade the set with better named players to market it on a test basis in Brooklyn hoping no one would notice seems far fetched .

Do we know of any other hobby publications that noted the issuance or release of the set ?
I checked my run of Ballcard Collector and found these two:

Old 09-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Al Richter

Good input again Howie.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:30 AM
Anthøny N. ex

When all the reports of this set clearly state they were issued in '72 how did they get to be known as a '73 set?
Old 09-06-2016, 10:57 AM
Al Richter

Default Scd

I assume because it originally was listed that way in the SCD Catalog.

On a lot of the offbeat Topps sets there has been ongoing debate about year of production, year of release, or whether they were released over a period of time.

I think this is a fascinating and mysterious set
Old 09-06-2016, 12:12 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I thought the last paragraph in the first photo Howie posted was interesting, about how age must be factored in to grading.

I'm also curious about Topps mislabeling three of the cards. If they were going to upgrade the players and hope no one would notice, I would think that they would choose a better player than Clyde McCullough.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
I thought the last paragraph in the first photo Howie posted was interesting, about how age must be factored in to grading.

I'm also curious about Topps mislabeling three of the cards. If they were going to upgrade the players and hope no one would notice, I would think that they would choose a better player than Clyde McCullough.

that was my thought too- Paige and Robinson make sense, but Peanuts Lowrey? Clyde McCullough? So much of this set doesn't make any sense, they took a lot of time to design it and write up the backs, but then didn't bother getting 3 images right, and a totally random selection of players.

Howie, thanks for posting those articles.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Al Richter

Default 1973

1973 may have made sense as a 20th anniversary tribute of some kind. Dave Hornish has speculated the annual Rookie Banquet and they did apparently have one that year, in fact every year starting in 1959 until at least 2004. Not sure after that.

And in a way, Vic Janowicz was better known than McCullough, albeit as a professional football player and former Heisman Trophy winner

And, if it was released even on a limited basis in 1973 it raises a similar question raised by the 1971 Greatest Moments, why not any wrappers, packs or boxes ( I realize a wrapper and box have surfaced for The Greatest Moments, but not enough to indicate a general or even limited retail release to me)

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-06-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:53 PM
Howie Schenker

My pleasure to post the article/ad. As I had previously mentioned in the other thread, Bill Haber had these cards spread out on his table at the 1973 Spring ASCCA Show in NYC. There were no wrappers and I believe that was likely when these cards were first introduced to the hobby. The Card Collectors Company ads followed shortly thereafter.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:48 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Newbie question: what are you guys talking about with misidentified players? Are there backs that don't match the fronts or something?
Old 09-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Howie Schenker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBesse27 View Post
Newbie question: what are you guys talking about with misidentified players? Are there backs that don't match the fronts or something?
The Player named on the front, and discussed on the back, doesn't always match-up with the player depicted. See Post 3 for PSA graded examples.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Al Richter

Rosen is really Fridley
McCullough is really Janowicz
Furlllo is really Antonello

It is not unusual to have a wrongly identified player or two in the older Topps base sets, but 3 of 8 must be the record

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-06-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:30 PM
J@ohn B.ar#ne.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
I am curious as to how rare this set is. It's been reported that TOPPS issued only 300 sets in 1972.

If this is true, then these 8 cards probably rank high as one of the most scarcest post-WWII issues.

I'm wondering how many collectors on this forum have any (or all 8) of them ?

Here is my set of them....

Hey guys....show us your cards.

TED Z
I think this set is cool. never had any idea it existed until reading this forum a while ago. The color seems to pop and has a sense of artistic expression. Kudos to those that picked these cards up. Very well done.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Rosen is really Fridley
McCullough is really Janowicz
Furlllo is really Antonello

It is not unusual to have a wrongly identified player or two in the older Topps base sets, but 3 of 8 must be the record
What surprises me is those three are correctly identified in the original 1953 set. There was one mistake in the original set (Pete Runnels' card features a portrait of Don Johnson).
Old 09-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Curt

I have the Furillo/Antonello only. Would have liked to add Jackie and maybe Paige, but never got around to it and now it will cost me dearly.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:28 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by egri View Post
What surprises me is those three are correctly identified in the original 1953 set. There was one mistake in the original set (Pete Runnels' card features a portrait of Don Johnson).
What doesn't surprise me about this mini-puzzle is that Furillo and McCullough were actually not on cards in the 1953 Topps set.
If we are speculating about the reason for the three misidentifications, how about: Topps lined up eight former players to make a public appearance in conjunction with the anniversary of the '53 set's publication, and assigned some flunky to find their cards in the set to use as ad material. That guy finally realized that Furillo and McCullough were not in the set and he could not, for some reason, come up with a Rosen card, so he simply substituted cards of other players in the same uniforms, hoping no one would notice. Slipshod indifference seems like a more plausible cause to me than a bumbling attempt to upgrade.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:29 AM
Mike

Default No. of sets, and no. of cards

Right now, the set has a total PSA pop of 294 (across all 8 cards); if there were 300 sets, there would be 2400 total; not sure how that number of cards graded out of a total set run compares to other sets, but given its a scarce issue, my guess is 300 sets might be close.

Interesting populations

1973 Topps Reprints
Paige: pop 45
Robinson: pop 49

1953 Topps set
Paige: pop 2215
Robinson: pop 1743
Old 09-07-2016, 07:29 AM
Al Richter

Steve--- interesting theory. If only 300 were really made that would seem to be more consistent with use at an event than a test release. The event could have been the annual Rookie Banquet and or some kind of 20 year commemoration of the 53 set
Old 09-07-2016, 08:11 AM
Howie Schenker

Don't forget that the Card Collector's Company fire likely destroyed some of the 300 sets. Many Topps test sets became much scarcer after that terrible fire.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Mike Bodner

I had read in a hobby publication many years ago that a Topps exec made this set up for their sons birthday party...for what that's worth.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:36 AM
Al Richter

Mike-- makes as much sense as anything else. They invited 300 kids to the party, gave each a set, and whoever first identified the wrong players won a prize. Or, Woody agreed to make the set for the party but attended a wine tasting party before he did the setup for the set
Old 09-09-2016, 06:06 AM
Steve

I guess the knee-slapping possibilities are endless. But, I can easily imagine any Topps exec in 1973 not being familiar with players in the 1953 set, so having to substitute other guys wearing the same uniform could have been the kind of face-saving, last-minute reach that would have made an amusing sitcom episode.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:05 AM
Al Richter

Very true Steve