NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-18-2019, 05:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
You can inhale colloidal silver in a nebulizer to get it silver into your bloodstream which may have a therapeutic benefit in treating the bubonic plague. The hooker is that you have to have been doing this for several months before contracting the disease.

I guess if everyone starts snorting silver prophylactically (sorry for a haughty term, Brian), demand will rise and supply will diminish, resulting in a rise in the price of silver.

I am not recommending this however.
This is good news for David. There IS a way silver could go back up in price.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:50 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
This is good news for David. There IS a way silver could go back up in price.
Don't say that!

I need silver to stay low so I can stack more.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:51 AM

I remember reading a story about a family who has some kind of genetic mutation that caused their skin to turn blue. It had something to do with a defect caused by silver.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:56 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

What would be the investing benefit of have a large heavy box of 1 ounce silver pieces in my garage vs. just putting money into a reputable silver investment fund and seeing what happens?

(Putting aside of course the world collapse scenario, where total disorder breaks out, my family is starving to death, and I take one of my silver piece out of the safe and walk up to the last 7-11 open in New Jersey and trade it in for a loaf of bread and a gallon of water.)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:27 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
What would be the investing benefit of have a large heavy box of 1 ounce silver pieces in my garage vs. just putting money into a reputable silver investment fund and seeing what happens?
Not really an investing benefit, just a peace of mind benefit. For me, I would rather have something I can hold on to, open my safe and look at it anytime I want to, rather than having some ETF or certificate that says I own it. Let me relate it to cards. Would you rather have your cards in hand, or setting in PWCC's vault?

If you're not the type that needs to have it in hand (and there's certainly nothing wrong with that), then buy it and put it in a self-directed IRA. At least you would get the tax benefits.

On another note, one of the objections that I hear quite often is that it's too bulky, too hard to store. No, that's not really true.

Last edited by vintagetoppsguy; 06-19-2019 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Mistyped
Old 06-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Not really an investing benefit, just a peace of mind benefit. For me, I would rather have something I can hold on to, open my safe and look at it anytime I want to, rather than having some EFT or certificate that says I own it. Let me relate it to cards. Would you rather have your cards in hand, or setting in PWCC's vault?

If you're not the type that needs to have it in hand (and there's certainly nothing wrong with that), then buy it and put it in a self-directed 401k. At least you would get the tax benefits.

On another note, one of the objections that I hear quite often is that it's too bulky, too hard to store. No, that's not really true.
Good answer; get your point. I wouldn't put a card in the PWCC vault if it was the last vault in America. Tangible is cool. I get that.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

What are your thoughts on platinum? See it on eBay on occasion and have often thought about. No idea what the history of it investing or collecting wise.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
What are your thoughts on platinum? See it on eBay on occasion and have often thought about. No idea what the history of it investing or collecting wise.
I can't give an opinion on platinum as I really don't know much about it. I've thought about picking up an ounce or two just to have, but I haven't done it yet. For me, the reason I chose silver is it's industrial uses. I'm not sure what platinum is used for, but I do know it does have some industrial uses, just never researched it.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I've looked into it. Very volatile was my impression last time I did.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:09 PM
Joe

A few ASE’s and Indian Heads in the collection but I’ve been purchasing gold at spot or above for years. Nothing major, just a coin here and there a month. It adds up over the years. My latest passion is British Sovereigns. Beautiful little coins and almost 1/4 ounce of gold. My latest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24A98137-04D4-4953-BC80-EAC13AD3E75E.jpg (13.4 KB, 324 views)
File Type: jpg FF5CA1E3-D93F-4FC1-9786-49A6F0F6FF44.jpg (14.6 KB, 319 views)
Old 05-05-2020, 05:16 PM
T0dd M@rcum

The last couple of years, I've tried to buy an ounce of gold and a little silver. I usually like the Australian stuff...it's pretty.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:23 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Anybody able to find any silver at their LCS or elsewhere? My LCS sells it as quickly as he gets it. If you've bought some, what kind of prices are you paying? I see it for sale on eBay and generic 1 oz bars and rounds seem to be going for about $24-$28 delivered. I just can't see paying that much. Then again, I may be looking back in a few months from now and be wishing I'd picked it up at that bargain price. Who knows?

My LCS has plenty of junk silver (90% silver coins). Last week, I purchased some Peace Dollars and Mercury Dimes. I paid $18 each for the Peace Dollars so 18X FV, and I paid $1.50 each for the Mercury Dimes so 15X FV. How much is junk silver going for where you live?

I'll probably go back to my LCS this weekend and hopefully he has some bullion but, if not, I'll buy some more junk...maybe some halves.

What are your recent experiences?
Old 05-24-2020, 01:33 PM
MikeHealer

David, I would say that's a good deal on the silver dollars. From my experience
silver dollars usually sell for a little more than the ounce spot price. I had a good friend a couple of years ago selling his mom's silver coins and the local coin shop offered $17 each for the dollars, silver at the time was between $14-15.