NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Default Weird T206 Card - need theories

Posted By: runscott

This card appears to be a design test - does anyone have any thoughts about it? The borders are also uneven, making me think that maybe it was hand-cut. I thought at first that the background ink had been smeared while wet, but that would have caused the ink to run outside the "red ink area", which didn't occur.

Old 05-07-2003, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

Design test??? Huh? No.

This will sound silly but I've actually done this: This effect can be achieved by putting somthing heavy on top of a slightly wet sheet and the scratches are caused by the movement of when you pick up whatever you put on it.

I remember it clearly because it ws my first day at a new print shop and I put a box of ink on top of a pile of freshly printed sheets and took quite a bit of grief for it. Everyone loved picking on the new guy - like the one sheet mattered - whatever.

Old 05-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

Marine-speak for rookies; F_____ng New Guy

Old 05-07-2003, 08:08 PM
Administrator

There would be smearing outside of the red background area, and there isn't (the ink has to go somewhere).

Old 05-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

It could have "gone" on whatever scraped it?

Old 05-07-2003, 08:51 PM
Administrator

I really wasn't expecting a response from anyone. Usually the attitude about stuff like this is that the card was doctored or someone altered the bitmap (this is reasonable, given how many bitmaps I have altered . But for some weird reason it is always very difficult for collectors to accept that something new might have popped up...and when the evidence can not be disputed, such as in the case of scrap cards with multiple images, the non-scrap collectors insist that the card is valueless...unless it is in their collection, in which case it becomes a "proof".

As stated in my original post, I already considered the "smeared ink" theory and in fact bought the card assuming that's what had happened, but I dismissed it soon after examining the card under a magnifier. I have seen background patterns similar to this in OBAKs, and they look very nice, so why is it so hard to believe that someone would have experimented a little with the t206's? Actually, it's not hard to believe at all - in fact, it's probable.

The Matty black cap variations are proof of this;however, with the Mattys a distinct move was made to another "shading" technique after a significant number of the first type had already been distributed. In the case of the Mattys, even though I produced hard visual evidence that there were two distinct variations, I was told by several collectors that one variation was simply a case of "light ink". Not true, but also not worth banging my head against a wall over.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:52 PM
Administrator

...wow, sounds like intentional human intervention.

Old 05-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon C

That picture posted at top of the card with the streaking looked so familiar - but couldn't place my finger on where I had seen something similar before. Well - it all came back to me yesterday!!! IAs some of you guys know, my main area of focus is on the baseball related cigarette packs... I received an email from the T206 Museum on something I've been working on with them. When I was cruising around the site, I remembered reading about the T206 card pulled from a Piedmont pack purchased on ebay! I hadn't read the circumstances surrounding the pack in a while, so i looked up the article to read it again. ( here is the link if you want to read it for yourself http://www.t206museum.com/page/periodical_16.html) Needless to say, when I started looking through the pictures - BAM - there it was! As you can see in the picture - the card has the same similar "cracking/streaking" as the one you have pictured above. Now, since this card was pulled straight from the pack - I would tend to think that these are not "proofs" or ones pulled from a scrap pile. Instead, I tend to agree with those who think they are just due to ink running. (Please note that the ink in the above card stayed within the borders, too) Well, I'm not expert, but that is my opinion! What does everyone else think?

Old 05-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Thanks - this may indeed have resulted from something similar, but in the card on the image you provided it looks more like scratches, and they DO go across the black borders of the card. In my card, the "smears" go directly up to the borders, bat, player image, but do not cross.

So I still think this is the result of a different process. Also, I did NOT call the Snodgrass a "proof" - it is definitely NOT a proof.

Old 05-09-2003, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon C

Your T206 is unique in that it doesn't go through the bat, etc. Sorry about the proof, too... I believe it was said someone in a post, but in my laziness, I am not going to read through everyones again to see where I got the idea of "proof". I'll call it variation and leave it at that. Like I said - I am far from being an expert...only my opinion. The only thing I can't see is where the scratches go through the border of the card i pictured. Could just be my eyes or computer screen - but I still can't see them. Wish I owned the card so I could get a better scan to look at!!! At any rate, just my opinions - again!

Old 05-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Administrator

and I appreciate your input. But the word "proof" does get thrown around a lot, so I just want to make sure I don't get grouped into that class of collector that calls anything with an imperfection a "proof" - I took a virtual beating a couple of years ago for using the word "proof" inappropriately, but that was good because it caused me to do some research which was fun and hopefully resulted in something useful to other collectors. The t206 proofs usually have cross-hatches on each border and are hand-cut.

It's difficult to be positive where the scratches on the Piedmont/pack card cross the black line around the printed image, especially since the scratches and white border area are the same color, but I'm fairly certain they cross in the areas pointed to with the black lines, and probably in other areas as well - you would need a better scan to be certain.

http://www.network54.com/Realm/catchme/Pied01.bmp