NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-23-2015, 04:47 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Anyone have pics of a 1962 Topps uncut green tint sheet?

For my further research of the 1962 Topps green tint cards, I could really use pics of uncut sheets from that part of the set. Does anyone know where I can find such a thing, as I have never seen one or been able to locate one. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Larry More.y

Darren, based on the number of cards in the GT series, should there not be two unique sheets with each card appearing 3 times (excluding checklists) over the two sheets as there are no known SPs in this series?
Old 01-23-2015, 05:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Darren, based on the number of cards in the GT series, should there not be two unique sheets with each card appearing 3 times (excluding checklists) over the two sheets as there are no known SPs in this series?
Saved, that's what I'm trying to find out. There are a few cards that are extremely tougher to find readily available than the preponderance of the series, so I'd like to see if there's a verifiable reason for it. Perhaps some cards were, in fact, SP's. It's frustrating not being able to locate pics of uncut sheets.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 01-23-2015, 06:08 PM
Larry More.y

Which card #s are you seeing that are harder than others in the GT series?
Old 01-24-2015, 05:52 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I would think any SP oddities in an 88 card series would be due to the position of certain cards along edges or corners.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:40 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Here's some insight into what I'm thinking. The green tints run from #110 to 196, which means a total of 87 cards (if we assume the misnumbered card #139 of Hal Reniff fills the spot of card #159). This total includes the #192 checklist card. I don't know the official methods of Topps sheet printing, but I do know they usually included the checklist for the next series in the print runs (a marketing ploy to get us kids to continue buying cards to get these 'phantom' cards which weren't actually available until later). So, if that additional checklist is added, then we come to a total of 88 cards. This is an aspect of green tints that I have never seen mentioned before in discussions of the phenomena--this extra checklist that isn't a part of the 110-196 schematic.

All the green tint cards are cropped differently (in most cases, just slightly) and show a distinct muddy, blurry appearance with the color balance being way off. The cards are really murky. However, checklist #192 doesn't show any of these characteristics and checklist #277 (which I assume would be the additional checklist I talked about above) doesn't either. Perhaps this is due to the lack of a photograph being featured on the front? Checklist #192 does have an anomaly between the two versions, being found either with or without a comma after "Check List" in the bottom left, which means they were surely the result of two different layouts, but checklist #277 has only the slightest differences between the two versions. Some call it darker vs. lighter wood grain, but the clear telling point is the check boxes being much lower with regard to the numbers beside them. But this is pretty minor overall, and if you transpose the names of the players from the two versions of this card, they match up perfectly. It seems odd that all the players' cards would be re-laid out by the 'new' printer, but the checklists would remain virtually unchanged.

It's frickin' really late and I've taken an ambien (I know, TMI), so I hope I'm explaining this all correctly, but part of my goal in finding some pics of uncut sheets would be to see what was going on with the checklists and to determine if they were in fact printed along with the other cards. Based on their distinct lack of murkiness, it's possible they weren't included on those sheets…but the chance of that is probably remote.

If anyone has some good insight into the Topps printing process, please chime in and edify us.

Casey Stengel

Old 02-15-2015, 12:50 PM

only have one photo of a 2nd series sheet but it's 88 cards (87 unique when you exclude series 2 CL)

Last edited by jmoran19; 02-15-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:54 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

That sheet helps tremendously!!

The big problem with all of my efforts (in creating a possible GT sheet) are the background woodgrain borders. I have now established that the 88 cards comprising the green tint run feature 44 different woodgrain schematics. There are (only) two cards containing each and every different woodgrain background. So whenever I find a card that fits next to another card on a proposed sheet, it's only half the story, because there is one other card out there with the exact same woodgrain attributes. For instance, last night I established that either Joe Cunningham or Leo Posada sits below the checklists (#'s 98 and 192, which feature identical woodgrain backgrounds), but I wouldn't know which guy sat below which checklist. Although your sheet here isn't the GT version, it does feature the same cards and most likely mirrors the green tint sheets…and boom!!!...there are Cunningham and Posada sitting right below the checklists. Love it!!

Do you have a larger version (pic) of this sheet that you could send me? I have other theories based on crop lines, etc., and would love to see if those are present on this one. Thanks!!

--elm

Casey Stengel

Last edited by JollyElm; 02-15-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoran19 View Post
only have one photo of a 2nd series sheet but it's 88 cards (87 unique when you exclude series 2 CL)
You wouldn't happen to have a photo of the 1963 Topps high number 522-576 sheet or a close up photo of the 1963 Topps first series sheet, would you? For one thing I am trying to figure out exactly which checklist card is between Cal Koonce and the Phillies team card on the lower right edge, it's very difficult to tell from this scan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c14791.jpg (79.2 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Cliff Bowman; 02-16-2015 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 02-19-2015, 02:12 AM
Glenn

A little late to this party but......

You know, I think there is a cropping issue with checklist #192 similar to that seen on other cards in the series. If you look at the black line up the left side, it creeps further on to the wood grain and extends higher up the card on the "normal" version as opposed to the green one.

The "Greenies" series as got to be the most fascinating variation situation in the hobby. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Here's some insight into what I'm thinking. The green tints run from #110 to 196, which means a total of 87 cards (if we assume the misnumbered card #139 of Hal Reniff fills the spot of card #159). This total includes the #192 checklist card. I don't know the official methods of Topps sheet printing, but I do know they usually included the checklist for the next series in the print runs (a marketing ploy to get us kids to continue buying cards to get these 'phantom' cards which weren't actually available until later). So, if that additional checklist is added, then we come to a total of 88 cards. This is an aspect of green tints that I have never seen mentioned before in discussions of the phenomena--this extra checklist that isn't a part of the 110-196 schematic.

All the green tint cards are cropped differently (in most cases, just slightly) and show a distinct muddy, blurry appearance with the color balance being way off. The cards are really murky. However, checklist #192 doesn't show any of these characteristics and checklist #277 (which I assume would be the additional checklist I talked about above) doesn't either. Perhaps this is due to the lack of a photograph being featured on the front? Checklist #192 does have an anomaly between the two versions, being found either with or without a comma after "Check List" in the bottom left, which means they were surely the result of two different layouts, but checklist #277 has only the slightest differences between the two versions. Some call it darker vs. lighter wood grain, but the clear telling point is the check boxes being much lower with regard to the numbers beside them. But this is pretty minor overall, and if you transpose the names of the players from the two versions of this card, they match up perfectly. It seems odd that all the players' cards would be re-laid out by the 'new' printer, but the checklists would remain virtually unchanged.

It's frickin' really late and I've taken an ambien (I know, TMI), so I hope I'm explaining this all correctly, but part of my goal in finding some pics of uncut sheets would be to see what was going on with the checklists and to determine if they were in fact printed along with the other cards. Based on their distinct lack of murkiness, it's possible they weren't included on those sheets…but the chance of that is probably remote.

If anyone has some good insight into the Topps printing process, please chime in and edify us.