NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default could be one of the biggest aution "ripoffs" in history

goodwin lot #26
you just have to laugh
http://goodwinandco.com/Catalog.aspx
Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Larry, that is hilarious, seriously.

Now what am I laughing about?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:51 AM

Default I would think it has something to do with this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200429311728
Old 07-30-2010, 06:53 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

That is pretty funny, actually.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Banned

Two folks must have really wanted that ball card.

Last edited by Rob D.; 07-30-2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Default Wow

Lot #26: 1968 Topps Plaks Checklist #2 PSA 7 NM “1 of 1; Highest Graded Copy In Existence”

So much for the "Highest Graded Copy In Existence".

It never ceases to amaze me the people that just throw money around without doing a little research. For that kind of money, he/she could have had a Strausburg RC

r/
Frank
Old 07-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by T's please View Post
Lot #26: 1968 Topps Plaks Checklist #2 PSA 7 NM “1 of 1; Highest Graded Copy In Existence”

So much for the "Highest Graded Copy In Existence".
While it certainly is misleading, I believe most, if not all, auction houses use the pop report terminology relative to the TPG in question. They outline that in their T&C.

Last edited by Matt; 07-30-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Jim VB

To me, the bigger question is: How many years will Larry be on this board before he learns where to post things?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:14 AM
Marc S.

Default If I had to speculate

I think PSA grades most of these as Authentic, rather than with a numerical grade. [Don't ask me why -- I just think it is that way].

So an interested player collector, with clearly too much money to burn, wanted this example for a Player Registry set, and the numerical grade trumps the A designation.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Barry Sloate

Jim- that's something I've been thinking about. This morning there was a post by a newbie (he had 2 total posts to his credit) who listed all the inventory he is bringing to the National, as well as his booth number. It didn't take long for a moderator to see it and delete it. And the other day there was a post on the main board about Topps boxing sheets.

Is it asking too much for people to follow a few basic rules around here? Couldn't Leon insist that anyone new who registers for the board has to read the rules once before he is allowed to post? Seems like a common courtesy for everyone.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default I get worn down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Jim- that's something I've been thinking about. This morning there was a post by a newbie (he had 2 total posts to his credit) who listed all the inventory he is bringing to the National, as well as his booth number. It didn't take long for a moderator to see it and delete it. And the other day there was a post on the main board about Topps boxing sheets.

Is it asking too much for people to follow a few basic rules around here? Couldn't Leon insist that anyone new who registers for the board has to read the rules once before he is allowed to post? Seems like a common courtesy for everyone.
The post by the new member listing all of his inventory on the main board got moved, not deleted, to the appropriate place. I just get tired of having to continually ask for people to do the right thing. I could be a bigger butthead (not sure how, but I could) but also think this is mainly a hobby and let some things go. Also, Larry (the poster) does get a little leeway as he is a regular, frequent poster, and can post an occasional off topic per the rules. I do wish folks would read the rules but that's a pipe dream .
Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 AM
Jim VB

Quote:

I saw that post too Barry. It wasn't deleted, but moved to the BST. In fairness however, that poster (Steve Sabow) is a well known and respected non-sports dealer, who is new to this board. Over on the non-sports board, Tom had started a thread titled "Things National Dealers are Bringing."

Some of the things Steve has are baseball sets, so I fully understand why he would post it here.

In the case of Larry, we have a member, who has been around a long time, and who does post regularly on the Postwar board. He knows it's there. He knows what it's for. Yet he ignores it.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:36 AM
Barry Sloate

I just saw it got moved too. I just wish that posters were a little more considerate. There's clearly a BST section, clearly a postwar section, clearly a boxing one, etc. Spend a moment to look and see where your message belongs before posting. I'm done venting.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:43 AM
Banned

It ruined my day, too, Barry.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Barry Sloate

Always a wise guy in every crowd.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Always a wise guy in every crowd.
Pissant is probably more accurate.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Default 1968 Topps Plaks Checklist

I was planning on bidding on that to help fill a hole in my Pete Rose collection. My top bid was going to be $2500, except by the time I logged in to look at the auction the high bid was already $11K+ with weeks left to go! Um WOW!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Barry Sloate

You know Rob, I never heard the term "pissant" until you used it as your avatar. I learn something new every day.

Last edited by barrysloate; 07-30-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:08 AM

Remember that episode on Seinfeld where George called those baseball owners in Texas (in a good way) "Sons of ....."
Old 07-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
You know Rob, I never heard the term "pissant" until you used it as your avatar. I learn something new every day.
Must be a Texas/Ohio thing.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

This is hilarious. Whoever said that a fool and his money are soon seperated must have had this card in mind.

Barry-You seem very tense. Was The View taken off the air?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Barry Sloate

Wasn't Obama on The View just yesterday?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:25 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

My TiVo was on the fritz and I missed it-damm!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:28 AM
Barry Sloate

Alas, I also missed it. I'm sure it was compelling.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:31 AM

Sorry about posting my items that I purchased this year and are bringing to this year's national. I didn't know you couldn't do that. The moderator did not erase my listing but instead moved it to the correct Buying/Selling/Trading link.

If that is also forbidden, why didn't the moderator erase my listing completely? Please point out the rules to me and I will certainly follow them in the future. I didn't intentionally break the rules.

Steve
Booth 125P
Old 07-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Barry Sloate

Steve- the main board is for discussion of pre-war baseball cards only. All selling, or other business related matters, goes into the B/S/T area under the appropriate heading. There are also sections for other sports such as basketball, football, hockey, etc., and even a water-cooler section if you want to discuss how the Yankees did last night.

The main board does digress somewhat- if there was yet another perfect game it's okay to discuss it here. But listing your inventory on the main board is frowned upon..well at least by me it is. I can't speak for the others.

Last edited by barrysloate; 07-30-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:38 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
But listing your invetory...

Barry??? Is that you?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:48 AM

Jim -- Thanks for defending me; I just saw your post.

Only one comment: I do not think of myself as a "non-sports dealer". When someone asks me why I am still doing business in this hobby when most of my New York peers from the 70s have since disappeared, I point out that I am fully diversified. I sell all types of cards and paper memorabilia and when one item is "cool", I quickly move on to another item. I've done that for 35+ years.

I will have at least one full showcase dedicated to pre-war baseball including T205's, 206's, 210s, etc. including a T205 set for sale with one variation. Probably another full showcase dedicated to early football, hockey, and other baseball.

But I do agree that I have been focusing most of my energies on Non-sports cards and sets for the past 7-10 years or so. But, I never pass a collection that I can make money on.

Thanks again,

Steve
Booth 125P Baltimore National
Old 07-30-2010, 09:50 AM

Barry -- I am sorry for doing that and will follow the "rules" in the future. Stop by and say hello anyway. Steve
Old 07-30-2010, 09:53 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Barry??? Is that you?
Hey, I was close enough. Doesn't that count?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_NY View Post
Jim -- Thanks for defending me; I just saw your post.

Only one comment: I do not think of myself as a "non-sports dealer". When someone asks me why I am still doing business in this hobby when most of my New York peers from the 70s have since disappeared, I point out that I am fully diversified. I sell all types of cards and paper memorabilia and when one item is "cool", I quickly move on to another item. I've done that for 35+ years.

I will have at least one full showcase dedicated to pre-war baseball including T205's, 206's, 210s, etc. including a T205 set for sale with one variation. Probably another full showcase dedicated to early football, hockey, and other baseball.

But I do agree that I have been focusing most of my energies on Non-sports cards and sets for the past 7-10 years or so. But, I never pass a collection that I can make money on.

Thanks again,

Steve
Booth 125P Baltimore National
Steve- Welcome to Net54baseball.com. It's not the end of the world to make a mistake on a chatboard. It's no big deal. If you need to read the rules, or know where to post your stuff for sale, there is a little icon at top that says "Net54 rules"....that is where you will find the ....rules. Also, had you looked at the top blue logo, and cared to read what this forum is all about, right next to the logo, you would have seen that there is an area devoted to buying/selling/trading. It's quite obvious. Once again, no big deal and I will be set up at the National too. I hope to meet you and say hi....best regards
Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 AM

Maybe SGC can reply, but the SGC 96 listed on EBAY is an old SGC flip, which I believe means it was graded when Joe Merkel was in charge.

It is my understanding that the SGC of today may not cross old SGC graded cards into their current holders in the same grade or may not grade them at all.

Based on who sold the old SGC 96, I would suspect this card will not or would in the past cross over in a high grade or at all.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:04 AM
larry s
larry ser.ota

Default 1968 plaks

sorry
can send to post war, my mistake
Old 07-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Peter Spaeth

Are the old SGC grades included in their pop report, even though they apparently don't stand behind those grades (for good reason, given many cards I have seen where the centering was just not consistent with the grade)?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinin View Post
Maybe SGC can reply, but the SGC 96 listed on EBAY is an old SGC flip, which I believe means it was graded when Joe Merkel was in charge.

It is my understanding that the SGC of today may not cross old SGC graded cards into their current holders in the same grade or may not grade them at all.

Based on who sold the old SGC 96, I would suspect this card will not or would in the past cross over in a high grade or at all.
I sure hope there aren't any problems with triplesss' 5191 other cards currently on ebay...

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:32 AM

Wow! Just saw the final selling price, over 22k?!?!?!
Geez, I can think of how many pre-war caramel cards I could buy for that.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
While it certainly is misleading, I believe most, if not all, auction houses use the pop report terminology relative to the TPG in question. They outline that in their T&C.
It certainly is misleading. Their T&C states ":7. Population Figures- All population figures came from the PSA Population Report online as of June 25, 2010.

So their statement that it is a 1 of 1 is accurate and I would agree falls within their guidelines as that is considered population figures. But the statement "Highest Graded Copy In Existence" isn't. Should have stated Highest Graded PSA Copy.

Here is their description of Lot #3: 1887 N172 Old Judge Ed Delahanty "Hands at Waist" Variation PSA 8 NM-MT “1 of 1; Only NM-MT 8 Residing on BOTH the PSA and SGC “Pop” Charts”!

They mention both PSA and SGC in this lot, why is that? Don't get me wrong, I have little sympathy for the buyer as he/she should have done their own research. I hope they enjoy that purchase.

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 07-30-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I sure hope there aren't any problems with triplesss' 5191 other cards currently on ebay...
That sort of attitude will not get you an invite to any important meetings in Baltimore next week.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 PM
Gr.eg Per.ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinin View Post

Is this really the case? And how "old" must a card be to be considered "old" ?
Old 07-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
That sort of attitude will not get you an invite to any important meetings in Baltimore next week.
That's OK Jeff, you can tell me what happens.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Matt Hall

Research??????

Did the bidders even look at the card? Forget the slip, does that card look near mint to anyone????? Crazy.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I'm pretty sure I know who the buyer was and from what I know the SGC Plak will not crossover. The buyer wants this for his PSA master set. While I can agree the price is off the charts the collector only wants the highest graded cards and pays dearly for them. That is not the way i collect but to each his own and if they have that kind of money more power to them.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Matt Wieder

For the record, the few times I have had cards in the "old" SGC slabs, they moved into the new slabs at the same grade.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default me too

Quote:
For the record, the few times I have had cards in the "old" SGC slabs, they moved into the new slabs at the same grade.
I know SGC will re-evaluate the old to new crossovers in their slabs. My 2 that I have done, pre-war, both crossed over from SGC92 to SGC92......I have to believe the SGC 96 would at least get a 7 or better.....which would have only saved the buyer 20k..... and is probably chump change to the buyer if they are spending that coin on that card. regards
Old 08-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Jeff

Quote:
This has been my experience as well.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Rich Klein

Default The funny thing

Was I enjoyed reading what Steve was bringing. Yes I know that belonged in BST but I liked the idea of "highlights you are bringing to the National" Maybe we can start a sthread like that tonight

Rich
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

So what would I rather have.....

a 1951 Bowman Bob Dillinger or a 1914 Boston Garter Tris Speaker?

even more crazy than original topic IMO, look at lots #6 and #86

PS. "High Book" in the SCD is $17.50 for Dillinger, and $30,000.00 for Speaker

Last edited by fkw; 08-03-2010 at 01:07 PM.