NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-20-2020, 05:57 PM
Matt Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlenane View Post
Attachment 417880

Here is the perspective normalization I was referencing for those who are interested.... basically this ensures that we have the right angle on the card to evaluate appropriately. Otherwise minor changes in camera angle would produce dramatically unacceptable grades...

Leon who else is working on this? Would love to compare notes
Hi Kevin, question for you: how does your normalization not affect the pixel vectors of the original scan? Given it probably affects the values you have for raw images ( assuming you're not reducing dimensions). Question 2: how do you deal with different size/complexity of scans to "grade"? seems like they could be all different size vectors. Super cool work
Old 10-20-2020, 06:43 PM
Ben North

Great video. I wish you the best and hope to see this being used ASAP to grade cards.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:41 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Here's a question. Is your scanning effective if a card is already graded and sitting in a slab? Because it would be really cool if you were able to scan 10, 20, 50, whatever, different graded examples of the very same card where each received the exact same grade (say PSA 7), and were able to tell which ones were 'accurately' (for lack of a better word) graded and which were not. It'd be a helluva interesting undertaking. Of course, you would need a lot of volunteers to send you their cards.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Here's a question. Is your scanning effective if a card is already graded and sitting in a slab? Because it would be really cool if you were able to scan 10, 20, 50, whatever, different graded examples of the very same card where each received the exact same grade (say PSA 7), and were able to tell which ones were 'accurately' (for lack of a better word) graded and which were not. It'd be a helluva interesting undertaking. Of course, you would need a lot of volunteers to send you their cards.
Everybody loves a distribution! The big question is skewed-left or skewed-right.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:38 PM

Default Automated grading - full subgrades

Hey all - so we've managed to get the remaining sub-grades implemented and we have it working well in head-to-heads with human graders within an average of .23 their sub-grade averages. Next step is building out additional set support and modern set support before building the API and/or mobile app.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXSkoFBvcDY

Definitely getting exciting - we'll have some additional unique features including visual sub-grade justification which will put to rest any accuracy questions. I dont have the business model or distribution figured out just yet but we have some strong first moves in mind.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:59 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Nice update. Interested to see where this goes. Please don't let someone buy the technology just to bury it.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:14 PM

The overlay feedback is going to be, as the kids say, lit.

Very exciting.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:55 PM
Howard Chasser

Default In light of todays announcement....

Figured it was time to pop this thread to the top.

Congratulations Kevin!

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:15 PM
Dan=iel Enri.ght

Hey Kevin - I'm sure you're still watching over your baby and this thread also, so was wondering...

Could you give us an update on the progress of your work?

I understood how what you were developing would assist in recognizing a card's issue, measuring size for the standard, identifying damage to the surface and being able to do things like scan for alterations such as recoloring.

Is there a method you happened upon that would with certainty identify trimming, specifically as it has been described as being of assistance in the PSA linked articles?

To me, that is the biggest of the fraud alterations that cause the most angst and is hardest to say 100% has occurred because it's possible to make edges appear 'non fresh'.
We as hobbyists often make the assumption on what seems likely, but I feel grading companies fall more heavily on the side of what can they prove and be 100% positive in calling out.

Appreciate any new thoughts you might add to what we could be expecting as part of PSA purchasing your work.