NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-09-2013, 02:07 PM
S Gross

Default VERY OT: Boxing + French Translation

I've always wanted one of these Dana Johnson/Jeffries post cards. They actually come up somewhat often on ebay, but priced a bit too high for me. I was lucky and got this for $30 (less than $1 below my snipe ). I'm sure it went lower than normal because of writing on it, but I like pc's with writing better anyway. The fact that the sender was at the fight adds value to me. I also like he "corrected" the round, and it is a GREAT image of Jeffries.

Anyway, any French speakers out there who can translate back (I know we are an eclectic bunch ) ................

jjjjpca.jpg

jjjjpcb.jpg

Merci de votre aide, Scott
Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Neat. I haven't spoken drench in 20 years.

Something about spending the weekend of the fight sick in bed and that Reno is a nice place with lots of with water (??) Boys and tough guys.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Ke.n K0hen

I spent the week of the fight sick in bed - I was also happy when I learned of the result. Reno is a pretty little place. There are lots of cowboys - They are called the "tough guys."
Old 03-10-2013, 05:01 PM
S Gross

Thanks, guys .............. so the guy was sick and not at fight, at least he was in Reno "for" the fight.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I don't think he corrected the round so much as filled it in. These PCs have the image # and round # on them most of the time. This was image #17 from round #15. What I don't know is whether there is a PC made for every image. I can't believe that would be the case since it would mean hundreds of images, but who knows? Nice pickup.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 03-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Dave

Looks like a bootleg of a Dana postcard.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM
S Gross

Leon,
Please, you can move this to the Boxing side if you'd like ..............

Dave,
Hmmmmmmmmmm........... you're right, something doesn't fit. The back is missing the AZO stamp printing. But I'd have to say it is period, and the guy was in Reno at time of fight. But, again, in Reno for the Johnson/Jeffries fight, I'd imagine everyone was "hustling" something for some profit.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Dave

Yes, It is period to the fight. I believe there were several vendors there lifting Dana's photos after he made them available to the public right after the fight, and cropping up their own souvenirs with them.