NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-12-2011, 03:39 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Perez Steele

I've been a collector of the Perez Steele Post Card sets dating back to the 80's and I've long wished that Dick would start issuing the post cards again. From what I know, distribution appears to be the primary issue since Dick is still painting each new inductee in the same style. After much thought, I've come up with the following rough approach that could get the cards back in production.

*Get Topps (or Upper Deck!) to re-issue each Hall of Fame post card in traditional baseball card size (i.e. 3 1/2 x 5 1/2). Cards would need to be of high quality and they shouldn't run the presses non-stop. This would give today's collectors an introduction to these paintings and the Hall of Famers from yesteryear. Instead of a post card back, have someone do a nice write up of each electee.
*I assume the card companies would create those damn parallell sets, but that wouldn't be needed...keep it simple.
*Each wax box would include one or two "box toppers" in a sealed envelope or even a "pack" of the post card(s) for an electee beginning with what would have been Series 16...and they should be numbered x/10,000.
*the down side is folks wouldn't be able to keep their set completely numbersd, but the upside is we'd be able to fill in the gaps on our set since production stopped.

Anyone still have an appetite for these post cards and does the above seem realistic? Thanks in advance for any feedback...Matt
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Phil Nap

In an email exchange I had with Mr. Perez a couple of years ago he indicated that, once his book was published, he would probably discontinue the "Postcard" style paintings. Hopefully he has, or will reconsider. So long as the paintings are produced I suppose there is hope that the postcard set can someday be revived.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:25 AM

I believe a couple years back there was an attempt to get the HOF to take on the responsibility of production and distribution of the set,but apparently they decided not to.

maybe some of the "Big Money" on the board would be interested? Leon?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:33 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I completely agree. If I remember correctly, TS O'Connell even championed the postcards' revival in his blog. I subscribed to the set way back when it was first developed, after reading Bill Madden's TSN column about them.

I would love nothing more than to see the set revived!

Steve
Old 01-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Big Money?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.McMurry View Post
I believe a couple years back there was an attempt to get the HOF to take on the responsibility of production and distribution of the set,but apparently they decided not to.

maybe some of the "Big Money" on the board would be interested? Leon?
Hey J
You have me confused with someone that has money. I assure you I don't....I have a few cards but money, not so much. Personally, I never collected these postcards but they are kind of neat.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:35 PM

lol,you know I'm just kidding,leon.

But, if done right,I think it might turn profitable.
I would start by cutting production down from 5k ea to maybe 2500.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default cut expenses....

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.McMurry View Post
lol,you know I'm just kidding,leon.

But, if done right,I think it might turn profitable.
I would start by cutting production down from 5k ea to maybe 2500.
Cutting expenses (and/or inventory) while increasing sales, or even keeping them the same, can get a business going in the right direction.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Mike Dugan

I do have the flyer from Dick for his new book. I have not pulled the trigger yet but it does look nice.

I'll ask my wife to buy it for me for Valentine's Day?

Has anyone picked up a copy?