NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-05-2020, 05:55 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
A perfect post since Kerry's birthday was a couple days ago, and Tom's is tomorrow. And our president is an idiot who only cares about himself.

Doug "some think I'm an idiot, too" Goodman
Old 06-05-2020, 07:38 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Epidemic.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87y2Y9h_o0w
Old 06-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default Tom Araya for President!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFUIYkitPy0

This dude is great!

"Did he just say he wants me to die" ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

"400,000?" ahahahahahahahahahaa

"What'd I do to you"....ahahahahahaaahahahaahah

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 06-05-2020 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:51 PM
Shawn England

Default Downtown Records

I love this thread but do not really have anything exciting to add... I wanted to ask about this business card as it came out of a collection of sports tickets from the mid to late 1950s etc that I purchased but this card is out of place? Just a business card for some random record shop run by Johnny or does this have some history to it? Plus I bumped the thread...

Also, Tom Waits is the king.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg records.jpg (72.8 KB, 271 views)
Old 06-26-2020, 05:46 PM
Doug Goodman

I don't know about Johnny and Downtown Records, but I do know that today it's 111 days since I had a show.

The last time I went this long between shows was after the Steve Earle "Guitar Town" tour (I was the merch guy) ended in March 1987 and then Death Angel's first tour (I was the tour manager) started until July.

I don't have any Steve Earle or Death Angel scans, so here are some newsletters :

Last edited by doug.goodman; 06-26-2020 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 07:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Glenn Hughes?
No, that's incorrect.

Deep Purple...not The Village People.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-14-2020, 12:33 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Doug, any Van Halen run ins? Specifically Eddie

Good guy or bad guy? I've heard both.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:44 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I first saw Van Halen in 1978 when they opened up for Black Sabbath at MSG. I was staying in a hotel in Long Island in 1995 and was talking to a few colleagues in the Lobby when the Members of Van Halen walked in after a show. I saw Alex and started talking and mentioned the 78 tour and he called over Sammy Hager and the two of them spent about an hour telling me stories about the tour. Great night for me Alex signed an auto wrote it to me but I asked him to personalize it to my son Kyle. Sammy looked for a CD took out the liner and signed that gor me. Eddie I saw briefly the next day and also was very nice and signed for my son. Really nice guys.. Rest in Peace Eddie. We lost a National Treasure
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201014_184228.jpg (63.8 KB, 224 views)
Old 10-14-2020, 08:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

RIP EVH

Or not...
Old 10-14-2020, 09:05 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Doug, any Van Halen run ins? Specifically Eddie

Good guy or bad guy? I've heard both.
A very sad day.

He and one of my bosses were very good friends, so I met him a couple of times (once with Alex) and he was VERY nice both times. Both to me, and to others.

And just being friends (famous or otherwise) with the boss does not always equate to being nice to the bosses employees.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:12 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I was staying in a hotel in Long Island in 1995 and was talking to a few colleagues in the Lobby when the Members of Van Halen walked in after a show.
Your hotel choice made this tour manager laugh out loud 220 days into the zombie apocalypse.

I will guess that the show must have been at Jones Beach, although I suppose it could have been at the Nassau Coliseum, either way, I always do my best to avoid putting the band at a hotel out there. Last time we spent the night in Philadelphia and drove in early afternoon directly to the venue for sound check, then headed out straight away after the show to the next city (and hotel).

When forced to stay somewhere close, that's the same hotel I have used.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 10-14-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:23 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Jones Beach.. great night...
Old 11-13-2020, 11:52 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I can't say I am a metalhead by any stretch. I like a song or two by the Scorpions, Judas Priest and a few others. The heaviest show I have ever been to was a Dead Kennedys show with original drummer Ted just before he left (The Channel, Boston). My musical tastes are all over the place and have gone to concerts ranging from New Age (George Winston) to traditional jazz (Ron Carter), folk (Arlo Guthrie), soul/r&b (James Brown), arena rock (Queen) and hardcore punk (the aforementioned DK's).

The one constant has been my 'Rock Book'. It is a book called 'The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock' compiled by two writers from NME (New Musical Express) the best music publication in the 1970's and 1980's out of England. I have been getting the book signed since 1979 when I was a poor college student and could not always afford the $6.99 - $7.99 vinyl. Since then I have gotten it signed by over 500 musicians. Every signature except for one was signed in front of me and I will not divulge that one. I was not as vigilant in the beginning, but I have a list of date and venues where it was signed and in the last 16 years I have also saved tickets, flyers and the such from events where it was signed. There have been a few people I did not realize had entries and forgot to bring it when I met them (Andrew Gold, Wendy Waldman) and a few who flat out refused to sign it (Van Morrison - me and him alone outside the downstairs bar at the Hard Rock in Boston after a show "I'm done working for the evening." and Robert Fripp, a pseudo-intellectual dick, "This is probably a piece of rubbish"). As the years go on inevitably some who have signed the book have passed away including a lot of good names (David Bowie, Jerry Garcia, Miles Davis, Carl Wilson, Paul Butterfield, Link Wray, Lou Reed, John Entwistle, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, Joe Strummer, Leonard Cohen, Keith Emerson, Greg Lake, Phil Everly, Maurice White, Tom Petty, Carl Perkins, Robert Palmer etc.).

This year alone 6 people who signed it have passed, two of them within a week of each other in October. Here are their signatures in no particular order:

Charlie Daniels - signed May 19,2006 at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA
Daniels.jpg

Dave Greenfield of the Stranglers. Died of Covid-19 - In store record signing Strawberries Records, Kenmore Sq. Boston October 14, 1980
Greenfield.jpg

Little Richard - October 5, 1984 in the lobby of Channel 4, Boston. He also signed his autobiography
little richard.jpg

Helen Reddy - April 26, 2008 Olsson's Books Alexandria, VA
reddy.jpg

Spencer Davis - June 15, 1996 Royal Sonesta Hotel, Cambridge, MA
spencer davis.jpg

Jerry Jeff Walker - September 21, 1989 Nightstage, Cambridge, MA
walker.jpg

Sorry for the long tale. I think I could talk an ear off a stalk of corn.

Michael 'I may have almost as many stories as Doug G.' B.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 11-13-2020 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:33 AM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Quote:
I first saw Van Halen in 1978 when they opened up for Black Sabbath at MSG. I was staying in a hotel in Long Island in 1995
...on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
Your hotel choice made this tour manager laugh out loud 220 days into the zombie apocalypse.

I will guess that the show must have been at Jones Beach, although I suppose it could have been at the Nassau Coliseum, either way, I always do my best to avoid putting the band at a hotel out there. Last time we spent the night in Philadelphia and drove in early afternoon directly to the venue for sound check, then headed out straight away after the show to the next city (and hotel).

When forced to stay somewhere close, that's the same hotel I have used.
As a native Long Islander, I'm curious as to why you don't stay on the Island. I grew up in Wantagh in the 80s, moved to Queens for 20 years and then moved back to raise my family here in 2014. My wife hates it and I regret not moving to Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford or Massapequa. I reside in a sort of "wannabe" mobster town in western Nassau.

The Garden City Hotel has a long history of discrimination. 47 years old, I've never been inside. But if you don't stay there, where are you going to go? The Long Island Marriott?

Fun thread. Only set lists I have are of recent vintage from shows at Brooklyn Steel (best music venue to hit NYC in years).
Old 11-14-2020, 02:14 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
The one constant has been my 'Rock Book'. It is a book called 'The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Rock' compiled by two writers from NME (New Musical Express) the best music publication in the 1970's and 1980's out of England. I have been getting the book signed since 1979 when I was a poor college student and could not always afford the $6.99 - $7.99 vinyl. Since then I have gotten it signed by over 500 musicians.

Michael 'I may have almost as many stories as Doug G.' B.
That book proves that you do.

Bravo!

I think you should start on page 1 and start telling us stories.

And I call dibs when you decide to part with it...

Doug

Last edited by doug.goodman; 11-14-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:17 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
But if you don't stay there, where are you going to go? The Long Island Marriott?
That's plan "B", hahahaha.

I usually put bus drivers at the Best Western in Bar Harbour... which I suppose makes it plan "C".

Last edited by doug.goodman; 11-14-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:34 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
...on...

As a native Long Islander, I'm curious as to why you don't stay on the Island. I grew up in Wantagh in the 80s, moved to Queens for 20 years and then moved back to raise my family here in 2014. My wife hates it and I regret not moving to Merrick, Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford or Massapequa. I reside in a sort of "wannabe" mobster town in western Nassau.

The Garden City Hotel has a long history of discrimination. 47 years old, I've never been inside. But if you don't stay there, where are you going to go? The Long Island Marriott?

Fun thread. Only set lists I have are of recent vintage from shows at Brooklyn Steel (best music venue to hit NYC in years).
I first saw Van Halen in 1978 when they opened up for Black Sabbath at MSG. I was staying in a hotel in Long Island in 1995
...on...
Whats wrong with staying in Garden City??
Well for one whenever I am in Long Island I tend to meet one or two Stuffy folks among the thousands of cool people. And it is 100% worth the effort to stay in Manhatten and comute.
I am from jersey and that's the way we say it. When I am in cape cod I am in cape cod (not on the cape)
Old 11-14-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
...on...
Well for one whenever I am in Long Island I tend to meet one or two Stuffy folks among the thousands of cool people. And it is 100% worth the effort to stay in Manhatten and comute.
I am from jersey and that's the way we say it. When I am in cape cod I am in cape cod (not on the cape)
I'm the town over from Garden City. I actually had two clients in Garden City - one was a fireman, the other a furrier. They both hated the town.

Garden City also put up quite a fuss when Wang was trying to put up a new arena in Uniondale.

As for Long Island and things to do, you need a vehicle. I moved into Queens in 1995 and moved back to raise a family in 2014. Now Queens...that's the place to be. Sigh...
Old 11-14-2020, 10:39 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
That book proves that you do.

Bravo!

I think you should start on page 1 and start telling us stories.

And I call dibs when you decide to part with it...

Doug
Doug,

It is odd that you mention selling it. As you can imagine I have become very protective of it. Other than laying in on a table for someone to sign it has only left my hands exactly 3 times:

The previously mentioned time a merch person who worked for the musician offered to get it signed for me. We met at the club I was working at as a bouncer in Boston - Spit. It was in 1980 so I did not think of the book as I do now. Brought it to me at the club after a show. I got the person several years later in person and the signature was the same. Very big name.

Joan Armatrading at Lupos in Providence, RI - standing at the stage entrance which was a glass door allowing you to see inside. I asked one of her stage people if she was coming out after the sound check as I wanted to get my book signed. He said "I will take it to her for you." I watched him walk up to her and get it signed.

Charlie Daniels at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA - He walked out to the bus after the show which I believe was SOP for him. The driveway to the backstage also led to a daycare attached to the building. Unless the Alexandria PD was there you could always walk up the driveway. Walked up to the bus and one of his people said that he was happy to sign anything and he would bring it on to the bus.

All of that being said I have been asked many times what it was worth and would I sell it. I try not to say value out loud but I would sell it under certain conditions. It is just a thing and I have the stories. Every time a person dies the price goes up. It is not only 6 people who died this year, there were also at least three others last year - Paul Barrere of Little Feat, Art Neville and Dr. John. Watching the RRHOF inductions tonight and saw that there was one other person who signed the book and died about 7 weeks ago - Rocco Prestia of Tower of Power.

In the vintage card section Leon always says there should be a card in the thread. This one should have concert photos:

Rick Derringer - circa 1980 The Paradise, Boston
derringer 1-1.jpg

James Brown - Summer, 1980 Jonathan Swift's Harvard Sq. Cambridge, MA
brown,-james-1-1.jpg

Cab Calloway - late 1980's New England Conservatory of Music, Boston MA. He received an award and the played while his grandson who taught at the school played guitar
calloway-2-1.jpg

Phil Lynott - circa 1981 The Paradise, Boston. One of my favorites to shoot. He was a ham and would pose on stage and point his bass at me.

lynott-1a.jpg

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 11-14-2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:45 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
...on...
From someone who lived in Mass for 45 years, stayed many times at the windmill next to Mass Maritime Academy in Buzzard's Bay and am currently married to someone from Osterville it is 'at the Cape'. As in 'Where were you this weekend?' To the people up there there is only one Cape.

Last edited by Michael B; 11-14-2020 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
From someone who lived in Mass for 45 years, stayed many times at the windmill next to Mass Maritime Academy in Buzzard's Bay and am currently married to someone from Osterville it is 'at the Cape'. As in 'Where were you this weekend?' To the people up there there is only one Cape.
Same thing with Long Island, anyone on Long Island or NYC metro refers to being "on Long Island". But I have a good friend in Lyndhurst, NJ. I'll ask him how he refers to his trips to LI.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Phil Lynott - circa 1981 The Paradise, Boston. One of my favorites to shoot. He was a ham and would pose on stage and point his bass at me.
Damn! Thin Lizzy at the Paradise. Amazing. I'll trade you my first show there (Steve Earle and the Dukes, March 1987) for that one!

And Spit. My first show ever in Boston was at Spit in July 1985. I was driving the equipment truck, with a guy from Wales, and selling merch. I wanted to get to the venue early so that I would have time to go to Fenway, but we kept getting lost. Each time we did we got new directions from somebody different. Finally, I gave up and decided to just go to Fenway first, the Wales guy asked how I expected to find "this Fenway place" I told him the Citgo sign would make it easy.

Nobody had told me in their various sets of directions that Spit was across the street from The Monster.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 11-15-2020 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:49 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Doug my Family is from Maine and asking for directions in NE is an adventure all it's own.
Thin Lizzy love the Whiskey in a jar Video with the girls dancing in prom dresses (check it out classic) and such a great song.
I apologize for bringing in the grammer police. Guess my reference to "stuffy people" went over some heads. But first time I ever read a thread with multiple references to Merciful Fate that included a grammer correction. I give a F... how folks refer to where they live.
I enjoyed much better The Ramones reference to Queens in Happy Family.
I will take my own advice and post a stub or pic with each post. Music Addicts come in all shapes and sizes no wrong or right. But if one of your top ten musical experiences was Rocking to the touring group of Jersey Boys at Westchester theater, then I understand the grammer posts completely.
Souvenirs of fun in on and around NJ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201115_133311.jpg (80.0 KB, 241 views)
Old 11-15-2020, 09:53 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Yep, and you either go a lot, or not at all.

I've been at the cape, just barely, twice. And one of those was for work.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:06 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Damn! Thin Lizzy at the Paradise. Amazing. I'll trade you my first show there (Steve Earle and the Dukes, March 1987) for that one!

And Spit. My first show ever in Boston was at Spit in July 1985. I was driving the equipment truck, with a guy from Wales, and selling merch. I wanted to get to the venue early so that I would have time to go to Fenway, but we kept getting lost. Each time we did we got new directions from somebody different. Finally, I gave up and decided to just go to Fenway first, the Wales guy asked how I expected to find "this Fenway place" I told him the Citgo sign would make it easy.

Nobody had told me in their various sets of directions that Spit was across the street from The Monster.
I saw Thin Lizzy twice at the 'Dise - September 16, 1978 and December 2, 1980. Not even my first show there. I went either the first Friday or Saturday opening week, September 22 or 23, 1977. It was Rick Derringer with an unsigned local act - The Cars. I sat with the guys from Boston. They were huge at that time and came out for a show in this 550 seat club. I did not go to that many shows there, but still liked it. Shows I remember seeing there: Derringer (77, 78, 80) Ramones (79?, 80), Elvin Bishop 1979, , Peter Gabriel Halloween 1979, Boomtown Rats 1979 got Geldof's harmonica, The Cars 1978, The Plastics (Japanese new wave interviewed them after show) 1981, Secret Affair (British new wave) 1981, Greg Kihn Band, The Waitresses and Cheap Trick mid 1990's when they did their three night stay in each city. At least one of the times I went there Derringer's 2nd guitar was Neil Giraldo, Pat Benatar's husband.

Spit was originally a new wave dance club only. They did some surprise concerts while I was there in 1980 - The Neighborhoods a popular Boston band, The Modettes ("White Mice"), Chelsea an original U.K. punk band and The Skatt Brothers (Walk the Night). A few musicians dropped in - Daryl Hall, Tom Hamilton (Aerosmith), Frank Zappa and John Lennon. They also asked me to come back to work the WBCN Rumble in 1981. One of the bands I saw during that week was the Young Snakes. Their lead singer was Aimee Mann a few years before she formed 'Til Tuesday. Once they started doing regular concerts it changed quite a bit though. I only went twice - The Fall, U.K. new wave and The Waitresses. I interviewed Chris Butler after the show. It was a great place to get autographs in the early days of concerts. I remember getting The Divinyls, Buzzcocks, Michael Schenker, Ace Frehley and the Georgia Satellites. While waiting for the Georgia Satellites I struck up a conversation with the lead singer of the opening act Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes.

I have an interesting tie between The Paradise and sports collecting. I went to a concert there in 1978, maybe Rick Derringer. The opening act was a local act called Fox Pass and they announced it was their last show. At the end of the show the drummer tossed both of his sticks and they landed at my feet as I was sitting in one of the bolted down seats right in front of the stage. No one reacted so I just picked them up and kept them. I put a sticker on them to remember where they were from. A few years later I found their indie single and bought it. Fast forward 10 years or so. I was in a baseball card store in the Boston suburbs. I knew the people who ran it and there was one other person there. I started talking to him and we got to music and he mentioned that he used to be in a band - Fox Pass! It was Jon Hall of Hall's Nostalgia. He used a stage name as there was already the well known John Hall of Orleans and a U.S. congressman. I mentioned I had the drumsticks and single and gave them to him.

Every post needs at least a photo.

Mick Jones - Clash on Broadway, Bonds, NYC, 1981. I went two nights the first week.
mick-jones-1-1_edited-1.jpg

Mark E. Smith of the Fall Spit 1981
fall-1-1.jpg

Johnny Ramone - The Paradise. One of my favorite photos of the ones I have taken.
johnny-ramone-3_edited-2.jpg

Last edited by Michael B; 11-15-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:51 AM
Jonathan Sterling

The Clash at Bonds casino. I waited in line for tickets and grabbed 6 for me and friends first night. We drive into the city early grab food (2nd ave deli) and hear on radio that we have to come back later in the week due to tickets being oversold. Clash added shows so everyone who bought a ticket saw a show. So we see that Palladium has a show and we go and scalp for half price to U2. You could tell they had stage presence played I will follow twice. Saw them next in Hawaii in 85 Joshua tree tour. Both great shows.
And Clash at Bonds was great. But Asbury park in 82 with original drummer just after release of combat rock they all seemed at top of their game.
Your signed book is epic if you could show clash auto's
Old 11-16-2020, 10:05 AM

Default rock memorabilia

Hi can someone let me know a couple of good people or good sites that sell authentic rock memorabilia at a fair price
i have a kid who is into a lot of the older rock from 70's/80's
thanks
Old 11-16-2020, 10:31 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Mark E. Smith of the Fall Spit 1981
Cool shot. Mark E. Smith was certainly a character.

I toured with a band called Magnapop in 1994, supporting The Fall for 13 dates across the US, including one at the Avalon in Boston, that was the same building as Spit, right? Or am I getting a couple of the vast assortment of Boston venues I've been to confused?

Spit, the old Garden, Paradise, Channel, The Rat, Narcissus, TT Bears, Avalon, Roxy, Landsdowne Playhouse, Great Woods, Harvard Square, Harbor Lights, City Hall Plaza, Suffolk Downs, Axis, Foxboro Stadium, Orpheum, Gillette Stadium, the new Garden, Wang Theater, B of A Pavilion, House of Blues, Wilbur Theater, Chevalier Theater.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:16 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Where to start.

Jonathan - you posted a couple of tickets from the David Jo / Ramones Tour. I saw them in Boston with Willie Alexander and The Neighborhoods as the opening act. I will scan a couple of photos in a day or so.

Doug - pretty good on the clubs/venues. There was also Cantones and The Underground in Boston. Next to TT the Bears in Cambridge was the Middle East upstairs and downstairs. Cambridge also had Ryles, Jonathan Swifts and Passim. Somerville had Lillies where I saw The Dictators. The Wang Center was previously called the Music Hall. The Roxy, on the second floor of the hotel across the street from the Wang Center was first a concert venue called the Bradford Ballroom. I believe that is where I saw Gang of Four. And the Opera House, almost forgot that one.

Some history for the buildings on Landsdowne Street behind the Green Monster of Fenway Park. The main building was originally a horse barn then a car garage. It became the second incantation of the Boston Tea Party. In the mid/late 1970's it became a disco called Boston Boston. It's name was changed to The Metro and in 1980 Spit opened up to the right of it at the alley. They were owned by the same person. There was various remodeling and Spit became Axis and The Metro became Citi then Avalon. A club called Mama Kin (Aerosmith connected) opened to the left of Avalon. They were all eventually purchased by Don Law torn down and the House of Blues was built there. I may be a bit off on the Avalon/Citi history, but fairly close I believe.

Jonathan, here are The Clash autos in a similar book. The first one can be a bit fragile and I don't like to open it flat too much. It is a 200 +/- page paperback book with a glued spine and they tend to wear down. I got Joe Strummer at Tower Records November 13, 1989 during an in store record signing. I was first in line. He signed my two books, multiple Clash albums and a photo or two. I got Mick about 7 weeks earlier on September 28 when Big Audio Dynamite was in town. He went to WBCN, one block from Fenway Park, for an on air appearance and that deserves a story.

clash.jpg

I am sure Doug with all his experience has run into all kinds of people who feel it is their business to protect the musician. Most of the road crew people I have met have been okay. Stay out of their way and don't act like your trying to cause trouble or steal equipment and you are usually okay. It is the chauffeurs who cause the most problems. They fancy themselves important. WBCN was a one story brick building on Beacon Street across from the McD's in the movie "The Town" where Jeremy Renner was shot. The entrance was a small stairway about 20-25 feet from the street. For most of their time there the musicians came in the front. Knowing that you could meet pretty much anyone who was going there. About 4 or 5 of us were out front when the limo with Mick Jones pulled up. This 5' 5" driver jumps out and starts yelling at us to leave him alone as he has to get inside. Mick gets out of the car and proceeds to sit on the front fender and sign autographs for everyone. He was cool like most musicians. My friends did not know I had an in at the Channel and I took them down there after that for the soundcheck. No Mick but the rest of the band including Don Letts, Doug Roberts and Leo "E-Zee Kill" Williams. More stories to come.

Photos for the day

Jackson Browne at some sort of fundraiser Strand Theatre, Dorchester
jackson-browne-3-1_edited-1.jpg

Fee Waybill lead singer of The Tubes in character as Quay Lude. Orpheum Theatre. My favorite type of photo. I took the photo, printed it in a darkroom and got it signed in person.
fee.jpg

Old 11-16-2020, 10:06 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Hi can someone let me know a couple of good people or good sites that sell authentic rock memorabilia at a fair price
thanks
It may be helpful if you can be a bit more specific.

Do you mean passes like the ones they stick on their jeans?
PASSES-REDO.jpg

Set Lists?
SET-LIST-REDO.jpg

Picks?
PICKS.jpg

Signed tickets?
TICKETS-2-REDO.jpg

or ticket stubs?
TICKETS-REDO.jpg

You can find a lot of legit ticket stubs on ebay. It is just finding ones that are good and show the bands. Laminated passes from the 80's and 90's are all over the place. I would suspect that they are still being remade. I don't have many picks any more and sold off my drumsticks. I had some decent picks - Ted Nugent, Link Wray from his last show in the U.S. which was his only show that year in the U.S. and some decent drumsticks - Mick Fleetwood, Ted from the Dead Kennedys, Roger Earl from Foghat, Dave Roberts from Big Audio Dynamite, Don Brewer from Grand Funk, Simon Kirke from Bad Company. I got all of them by asking the musicians directly. Picks are pretty easy as many guitar players have them in their pockets. Sticks are more challenging. I got most at sound checks though a few left a pair for me at the their hotel desk. The second time I met Ted Nugent was at an auditorium across the street from the courthouse where I was working. I got him walking in. He stopped to chat and said 'hold out your hand' and dropped about 20-25 signature Damn Yankees picks into it. Drumsticks can also be challenging if they have very specific sticks for the tour and they cannot get them while on the road. Less likely to give one up.

Last edited by Michael B; 11-16-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:10 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Doug - pretty good on the clubs/venues.

I am sure Doug with all his experience has run into all kinds of people who feel it is their business to protect the musician. Most of the road crew people I have met have been okay. Stay out of their way and don't act like your trying to cause trouble or steal equipment and you are usually okay. It is the chauffeurs who cause the most problems. They fancy themselves important.
Amazing stuff.

I have worked shows at those venues.

You made me laugh out loud with that chauffeur comment. So true.

Once upon a time I was working for Green Day. I was eating dinner with our head of security in the catering area, which was behind and kind of under the bleachers at an arena somewhere. There was a tarp covering the seats for one wall of the area, my back was to it. While we were eating the security guy nodded his head towards the wall with one finger to his lips, so I turned my head and watched as two kids somehow managed to squeeze themselves thru the seats and under the tarp at the far end of our row of tables (which was empty besides us). The initial looks on their faces were "F yeah, we made it!" then they saw us looking at them and their faces changed to "oh shit".

The security guy did his best imitation of a mean security guy and said "Come with ME" and we led them up the hall talking to each other about promoters and police and expulsions and arrests and whatever we could think of to scare the kids until we walked them into the band dressing room and asked the guys who were there "What should we do kids who sneak backstage?"

One suggestion was "Give them a beer!" but neither kid looked old enough to drink so instead they settled for autographs and pictures, then we tossed them back into the crowd.

Fun times.
Old 11-17-2020, 11:11 AM
Steve Birmingham

When I saw the Hendrix experience show here in Lowell last year they had a whole "handing out picks to pretty much anyone " thing right when the show ended. Pretty cool, but I didn't go get one.

When my sister was in college, she got to see a couple good bands because the school had them in.
One trip down to visit she told me she'd seen a band she thought I'd like, and that she'd gotten a pick tossed into the "crowd" of maybe 150!

"I don't remember the name, but you'd like them"
"What songs? "
"If I can't remember the name you think I'd remember a song? "
"Yeah, good point. "
"Oh! there was one thing... the guy had a guitar shaped like a big hand"
" You saw Cheap Trick and didn't remember the name?!"
"Oh, yeah, that's the name. You've heard of them? "

U Conn apparently could book some great bands and hardly draw anyone.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:53 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Default Security and drivers and roadies oh my!

A couple of quick stories.

One of the hotels where many musicians would stay in Boston was the Four Seasons. We called it The Fours. The hotel had an overhang so cars could pull up to the front door and not be on the sidewalk. The overhang was also the outside of the hotel and the edge of their property They had one simple rule: Don't come onto their property unless you were told you could. Nice and simple. One day we were waiting for Rod Stewart. He comes out, sees us and waves us to come over. As we walk over to the car for him to sign the driver starts blocking us. I had to point out to him that we were called over. Rod signed for everyone.

Another time we were waiting for Kenny Loggins, all time nice guy. He was in town for a concert on Boston Common. He comes out of the hotel walks over to us on the public sidewalk and says 'Hey guys, how's it going? What is a good direction to go for a walk?" Hotel security comes running out onto the sidewalk and demands that we not bother their guests. Loggins with a straight face looks at him and says something like 'Why are you bothering me and my friends' and waves him off. Interestingly that also happened with basketball player David Robinson outside the Marriott Copley Hotel. A few of us were standing with him in the median halfway across Huntington Ave. and he was signing autographs. Two hotel security people come running across the street and tell us to leave him alone. He said something very similar and I believe mentioned that this was not hotel property.

Massachusetts has a public accommodation law. It pretty much says that if you are a place of public accommodation, ie a hotel, you cannot bar people from using your facilities. Great to know if you want to use a bathroom. Also good if you want to sit on a couch in the lobby and rest. We were waiting for Gloria Estefan, one of the nicest musicians I have ever met, outside the Fours. I went inside to sit down and relax. I was dressed decently so no problem. I am sitting there and she comes off one of the elevators all alone. She looks at me and I smile. She walks up to me and asks if I want her autograph. Of course I said yes and she signs. After she walks away security reminds me that we are not supposed to ask for autographs in the hotel. I told them what happened and they said that's okay. It was still funny as that is not the norm.

One more. Anyone who has gone to the Orpheum in Boston knows that it is at the end of a very short dead end street. Not an alley as it has sidewalks on both sides and two cars can fit side by side. There is an alley on Bromfield Street, but no one really uses it. Musicians go in the front door. Good to know if you want to catch a musician coming or going for sound check. I was waiting outside for Lou Reed while he was doing his sound check. Some person, either a band person or theatre person I am not sure which one, maybe Doug!!! Opened the door and said 'Don't bother Mr. Reed when he leaves'. I've never been one to listen to a functionary. Lou Reed walks out. I ask him (I always use Mr.) if he would mind signing an autograph. He walks right over and signs. Not a problem. All the time that turd was standing in the door stewing.

More stories to come. Now a few photos.

Lou Reed at an in store appearance Strawberry Records Kenmore Sq, Boston
reed.jpg

Danny Johnson playing with Derringer. Jaxx here in Springfield, VA. The former home of Swedish death metal on the East Coast.
johnson-1.jpg

John Kay of Steppenwolf playing outdoors at a sort of biker bar in North Brookfield MA
kay.jpg

Buck Dharma of BOC. Providence, RI Night of Healing benefit concert for the families and victims of The Station nightclub fire. I had been to that club a few times. Thankfully not that night as not a fan of Great White.
dharma.jpg

Last edited by Michael B; 11-19-2020 at 01:32 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:52 AM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
...Some person, either a band person or theatre person I am not sure which one, maybe Doug!!!
I'm the guy who pokes his head out to say "the boss is coming, get your pens and cameras out and ready".

Great pix.

I'll bet that you and I have crossed paths over the years.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:37 AM

Default Venues

Which places have had the best sound from your vantage points? Small, large, etc?
Old 11-19-2020, 09:01 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:

One of the hotels where many musicians would stay in Boston was the Four Seasons. We called it The Fours. The hotel had an overhang so cars could pull up to the front door and not be on the sidewalk. The overhang was also the outside of the hotel and the edge of their property They had one simple rule: Don't come onto their property unless you were told you could. Nice and simple. One day we were waiting for Rod Stewart. He comes out, sees us and waves us to come over. As we walk over to the car for him to sign the driver starts blocking us. I had to point out to him that we were called over. Rod signed for everyone.

Another time we were waiting for Kenny Loggins, all time nice guy. He was in town for a concert on Boston Common. He comes out of the hotel walks over to us on the public sidewalk and says 'Hey guys, how's it going? What is a good direction to go for a walk?" Hotel security comes running out onto the sidewalk and demands that we not bother their guests. Loggins with a straight face looks at him and says something like 'Why are you bothering me and my friends' and waves him off. Interestingly that also happened with basketball player David Robinson outside the Marriott Copley Hotel. A few of us were standing with him in the median halfway across Huntington Ave. and he was signing autographs. Two hotel security people come running across the street and tell us to leave him alone. He said something very similar and I believe mentioned that this was not hotel property.

Massachusetts has a public accommodation law. It pretty much says that if you are a place of public accommodation, ie a hotel, you cannot bar people from using your facilities. Great to know if you want to use a bathroom. Also good if you want to sit on a couch in the lobby and rest. We were waiting for Gloria Estefan, one of the nicest musicians I have ever met, outside the Fours. I went inside to sit down and relax. I was dressed decently so no problem. I am sitting there and she comes off one of the elevators all alone. She looks at me and I smile. She walks up to me and asks if I want her autograph. Of course I said yes and she signs. After she walks away security reminds me that we are not supposed to ask for autographs in the hotel. I told them what happened and they said that's okay. It was still funny as that is not the norm.

One more. Anyone who has gone to the Orpheum in Boston knows that it is at the end of a very short dead end street. Not an alley as it has sidewalks on both sides and two cars can fit side by side. There is an alley on Bromfield Street, but no one really uses it. Musicians go in the front door. Good to know if you want to catch a musician coming or going for sound check. I was waiting outside for Lou Reed while he was doing his sound check. Some person, either a band person or theatre person I am not sure which one, maybe Doug!!! Opened the door and said 'Don't bother Mr. Reed when he leaves'. I've never been one to listen to a functionary. Lou Reed walks out. I ask him (I always use Mr.) if he would mind signing an autograph. He walks right over and signs. Not a problem. All the time that turd was standing in the door stewing.

More stories to come. Now a few photos.

Lou Reed at an in store appearance Strawberry Records Kenmore Sq, Boston
Attachment 426736

Danny Johnson playing with Derringer. Jaxx here in Springfield, VA. The former home of Swedish death metal on the East Coast.
Attachment 426734

John Kay of Steppenwolf playing outdoors at a sort of biker bar in North Brookfield MA
Attachment 426735

Buck Dharma of BOC. Providence, RI Night of Healing benefit concert for the families and victims of The Station nightclub fire. I had been to that club a few times. Thankfully not that night as not a fan of Great White.
Attachment 426733
Great stories and nice pics. Haven't thought about Danny Johnson in years. Saw him when he was with Derringer, and then saw him at the Whiskey in Hollywood with his own band (I think it was an off night when he was playing with Rod Stewart at the Forum). Real solid band, and I remember they did a cover of "The Letter" that is probably the best I have heard to date.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 11-19-2020, 10:37 AM

Default rock memorabilia

My kids favourite bands are

1 motley crue
2 van halen (david lee roth version)
3 def leppard

Would love to find something authentic from the period late 70's to mid 80's to put on his wall

thanks
Old 11-19-2020, 11:29 AM
Steve Birmingham

Security stuff can be weird. I'm not the guy waiting for autographs or anything, so I hardly ever run into them.

Did have a funny one as a kid though. I was maybe 12?
The family went to Tanglewood (Boston pops summer place and about the least metal venue there is if you didn't know)

Weekdays they sell tickets to practice, so you get a sort of reduced experience way less crowded though.

The place was nearly empty, back then they had the center seats where the acoustics were best painted white. So that's where I sat. all by myself, nearest person was maybe a hundred feet away.

Guess who security wants to talk to?
Yeah.
"What are you doing here"
"Listening to the music"
"Why are you in these seats instead of somewhere else." (them pretty much saying they want to sneak off, but have to keep an eye on the geeky kid in the good seats)
"These are the seats with the best acoustics right? "
"Yeah, so"
"That's why I'm here. The band is going to start again soon, my parents are over there" (Me basically telling them to get lost)

Later on we got thrown out of a closed indoor practice.... hey, door wasn't locked and there was no sign...
Old 11-19-2020, 12:43 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Which places have had the best sound from your vantage points? Small, large, etc?
It's all about the soundguy.

There is one particular guy who I have worked with on multiple tours who can make any place sound good.

I have worked over 4100 shows, over 3700 of them as a tour manager / accountant, and this one particular guy has more than anybody else caused local promoters, stage hands, fans, etc come up to me to say "this place usually sounds like shit, but your band sounded fantastic tonight, you need to give your soundguy a raise"

I prefer smaller venues, but not because of the sound, but because of the intimacy. They can be a major pain in the butt, because often big bands & crews get used to big venue comforts, but if the band and crew can get over themselves, small shows are always the best.

They have the best marquee signs, too :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zz and ted sign.jpg (49.2 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Costa mesa Tiki Bar.jpg (69.5 KB, 180 views)
Old 11-19-2020, 12:48 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
My kids favourite bands are

1 motley crue
2 van halen (david lee roth version)
3 def leppard

Would love to find something authentic from the period late 70's to mid 80's to put on his wall

thanks
From an in-store appearance in Santa Rosa, CA on Oct 29, 1983 that Mick Marrs didn't show up to, and so few "fans" showed up to that the band never sat down at the table, they just roamed around the store looking at records. You can't have it, but you can look at it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Auto-Band-Motley Crue.jpg (69.2 KB, 179 views)
Old 11-20-2020, 09:00 AM

Default rock memorabilia

Sweet item
my sons favourite band
Old 11-20-2020, 10:11 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
thanks
Try Roger Epperson

https://www.rogerepperson.com/

Or not...
Old 11-20-2020, 01:26 PM

Default rock memorabilia

thanks for info will do
Old 11-20-2020, 06:22 PM

I've been going to shows since the late 80s, did the arena rock thing then I wound up seeing Tony Bennett at the Mercury Lounge in 1994. That was great. Avoid big venues for the last 25 years. Right as The Strokes hit, I started going solo to shows and caught the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Jonathan Fire*eater, TV on the Radio. All the while missing out on LCD Soundsystem. I finally saw them at Webster Hall in 2010 (?) and was completely blown away by their sound. Probably the best sounding band I've ever seen live.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

LCD Soundsystem is great. Have you heard/seen Shut Up And Play The Hits/The Long Goodbye? One of the best live albums I've seen/heard.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-20-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 06:12 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

This just in:

Or not...
Old 11-22-2020, 09:17 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default The Who

Sept 12 1979,I had seen The WHO at the Capital Theater (About 3k seats) the past 2 nights First night in First row Second night 6th row, Standing in front of Hotel on Central park south ( I cought the name in a Rolling Stone interview ) Eric Idle walks out and is talking to fans I am watching this and look up and Pete Townsend is standing in front of me 17 years old and star struck I hold out my picture he signs it upside down laughs and asks if I have anything else for him to sign. I do he signs a ticket stub a program and I am a happy camper.
Fast forward to 1982 I have been to about 30 Who concerts by then I am in portland in an elevator and Mick Ronson steps on. I ask politely if it is him and mention that I had seen him with Ian Hunter a couple of times as well as with David Bowie. He signs a nice auto and offers to get me backstage at his next gig. With the Who and Clash in Oakland. I have a wonderful day talk with Joe and Mick from Clash and later after show was over I got some more Who Auto's. The purple ticket is signed by Pete Roger John KennyJones and Tim Gorman who played keyboards.
Mick Ronson was playing with T Bone Burnett and had no reason at all to be so nice to a couple of kids from NJ. Forever grateful that he was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201122_225505.jpg (72.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 20201122_225440.jpg (68.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg 20201122_225421.jpg (78.3 KB, 135 views)
Old 11-23-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
LCD Soundsystem is great. Have you heard/seen Shut Up And Play The Hits/The Long Goodbye? One of the best live albums I've seen/heard.

We were lucky to catch one of the Terminal 5 shows before MSG. Seen them a bunch at Brooklyn Steel. What a fantastic venue. But they sound fantastic.

We have Shut Up and Play the Hits on Prime. My 4 year old is really into it, believe it or not.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:22 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I can believe it. Their beat is really solid and i can see it would get the little ones going.

I pretty much stopped going to concerts for years, just got back into it a few years ago. COVID kinda messed up my summer concert plans this year, but i guess i have killer seats for Green Day next year.

Or not...
Old 11-23-2020, 10:40 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
... but i guess i have killer seats for Green Day next year.
Make sure you get there early, if it's the same lineup as scheduled last year, you will want to see the Interrupters, they're great!

https://wearetheinterrupters.com/