NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2021, 05:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

Default How the times have changed

Was looking back at baseball card litigation and found this line from the 1980 decision in Topps v Fleer.

Boys, age seven through twelve, are the primary consumers of baseball cards in the United States.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:44 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Was looking back at baseball card litigation and found this line from the 1980 decision in Topps v Fleer.

Boys, age seven through twelve, are the primary consumers of baseball cards in the United States.
Actually it is true except those kids from 7 to 12 are now 47 to 52 now

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-19-2021, 05:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Topps's baseball cards are sold primarily in convenience stores, discount stores, and small local grocery stores. Most baseball card purchasers buy their cards from convenience stores, such as "7-11" stores.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-19-2021, 05:48 PM
Peter Spaeth

Trading, collecting and learning about players are the most common reasons for children to purchase baseball cards.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:49 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
actually it is true except those kids from 7 to 12 are now 47 to 52 now
lmfao

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 08-19-2021, 05:59 PM
Bruce Mattioli

It took me 8 months to find an unopened pack of cards at an outlet I could have easily purchased cards in the past. The young collectors are doomed..
Old 08-19-2021, 05:59 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Actually it is true except those kids from 7 to 12 are now 47 to 52 now
LOL, I am 52 so I am still good for this year.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:52 PM
Matt

I still feel and often act in that 7-12 age zone. If booze is involved, I can go up the ladder as high as 16-17.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:13 PM

My first pack was 1982 topps, but when I was about 11 (1985), I started collecting big time. My brother and I would ride our bikes to the Kwik Stop (on Rockville Pike, in Maryland) and buy boxes of 1985 topps cards. What a set - Clemens, Gooden, Puckett, McGwire (USA), Conseco (USA)…. We would would bring those plastic cases that held like 20 cards and we would open the box in the parking lot, put the good cards in the plastic boxes, the others in the cardboard box, and bike back with a plastic bag holding a box full of cards and a few plastic cases. They knew us at that store. We must have bought 200 boxes from
1985-1989. They used to only carry topos but we convinced them to carry Donruss and Fleer (because some years Donrus was better, the next year Topps, so on). I have such fond memories of that.

Sorry, just feeling nostalgic
Old 08-20-2021, 12:06 PM
Donny Muth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
My first pack was 1982 topps, but when I was about 11 (1985), I started collecting big time. My brother and I would ride our bikes to the Kwik Stop (on Rockville Pike, in Maryland) and buy boxes of 1985 topps cards. What a set - Clemens, Gooden, Puckett, McGwire (USA), Conseco (USA)…. We would would bring those plastic cases that held like 20 cards and we would open the box in the parking lot, put the good cards in the plastic boxes, the others in the cardboard box, and bike back with a plastic bag holding a box full of cards and a few plastic cases. They knew us at that store. We must have bought 200 boxes from
1985-1989. They used to only carry topos but we convinced them to carry Donruss and Fleer (because some years Donrus was better, the next year Topps, so on). I have such fond memories of that.

Sorry, just feeling nostalgic
This is remarkably similar to my memories in the mid-late 80s too and is what baseball card collecting is supposed to be like. Having said that I bought 5 blasters of 2021 Topps chrome yesterday on the way to work because I didn't know if I'd get another chance to buy. I still wish it was like our childhood days and didn't have to deal with the breakers and flippers and investors just to enjoy opening some packs.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:13 PM
Rich

7-12 year old kids today are screwed anyway with $5 packs. How many young kids can afford to collect today?
Old 08-20-2021, 12:47 PM
Robert J. Miller

My first pack was 1982 topps, but when I was about 11 (1985), I started collecting big time. My brother and I would ride our bikes to the Kwik Stop (on Rockville Pike, in Maryland) and buy boxes of 1985 topps cards. What a set - Clemens, Gooden, Puckett, McGwire (USA), Conseco (USA)….

i guess your memory is not that good if you recall Conseco on the 1985 Topps USA card.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:51 PM
Robert J. Miller

7-12 year old kids today are screwed anyway with $5 packs. How many young kids can afford to collect today?

I was just talking to my brother and he says tat the companies should produce a set with $1.00 packs and 10 to 12 cards per pack. That should help generate interest with the younger kids. No rare inserts / autographs / refracting whatever's. just a basic set with maybe easy to get inserts.

Bob