NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2003, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Default Festberg Auction - BL460 Brown valued at $9000 !?!

Posted By: runscott

This t206 Mordecai Brown BL460 has an estimated value of $9,000 according to vintage card expert David Festberg - I thought I had a pretty good grasp of t206 values, but I guess I don't. Amazingly, it didn't get a single bid even though it opened at only $1,500, which I think was a reasonable price. If I had $1.5K I would have bid on it, but I know the owner (I think) and the card is fine. So why attempt to sell it in a Festberg auction, where most intelligent buyers assume cards are trimmed to begin with? If the owner is still who I think he is, I recommend you consign this card to a legit auction house - you'll get better than $1,500.

http://www.festbergauction.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=389

Old 01-17-2003, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Scott
I think our buddy James sold his SGC 60 Brown for over 3000.00, but I'm not sure. His card was sharper than the Verkman card, but 1500.00 is a reasonable price. later brian

Old 01-17-2003, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Isn't it odd how you keep seeing the BL460 backs on the same players? I thought his was a little sharper - I'm glad to hear he got a decent price for it.

Old 01-18-2003, 08:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Verrill

Hi guys.

The Brown BL 460 featured in the Festberg auction was not mine.

Among the BL 460's I have and have had, I chose the Brown and I sent it to SGC. It came back a 60 (very conservative). I then consigned it to Doug at Mastro, and it was featured in the December auction.

It closed at somewhere around $2600.00 - a little less than I had anticipated, but I am pretty sure I can guess why: the same auction (as you all know, I am sure) featured an unusually high number of lots of T206s with rare backs. An amazingly high number of such cards, by my thought.

There was a group of 10 cards w/rare backs - Drum, Lenox, UZIT. There was another group of 10 cards with rare backs - this group ALL HOFers - with Drum, Uzit, etc. And, there was also the group of 25 cards with HINDU backs (many being HOFers).

These 3 lots were remarkable. And, no - I don't feel "anguished" that so many tough backs appeared at once, causing a "flood effect" per se. On the contrary - I bid on them just like any other tough back collector.

So, anyway - that is my theory. Even though it was the only BL 460 in the auction, and even though it was better condition, and even though it was a HOFer, and even though it was (at the time) the highest graded example of a HOFer w/a BL 460 back - still, back collectors can only spend so much money at one time. Choosing how to dispense that money - and on what, can be a tough choice. I am thinking that, a number of folks that would typically have bid this up higher, ended up deciding to bid on one of the groups of 10, instead - offering them a better chance to "offset" their investment by selling one or two cards from the group, after sale.

No disappointment here. The card was featured as it had been promised to me it would be, and, it attracted enough bids for me to be satisfied with the outcome. I think there is still a disparity out there about how rare the BL 460 back really is. Some people still don't call it "a back", they call it a "back variation". So, instead of comparing it in value to Drum or Uzit, it is compared in such a way as to establish a premium above the "common" Broadleaf back. More specifically - it is placed in a sub-category of Broadleaf, and not in a primary category alongside Drum, etc. I am not saying this is wrong, just that it exists.

To conclude, I would say that the opening price of $1500 on the BL 460 Brown featured in the Festberg auction auction was fair market value. I do not think, however, that the "estimated value" of $9,00.00 was accurate. Not even close (in my book). I would say, based on my experience with these backs, that card - ungraded, is worth about $1800.00. I think the problem is that alot of people are hesitant to buy such pricey items from Festberg, for fear of any number of the situations mentioned on this board in the past. Also, a potential buyer may have looked at the card, and calculating the premium on top of bid price, may have decided the end result was too near to the "actual market value" to make it a wise investment. I would also guess that the current "flood" of rare backs in the market right now is also a possible contributing factor.

James Verrill

Old 01-19-2003, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

Twice, I tried getting a bidder number on line with Festberg. I recieved my secret code and everything was ready to go......Wrong, he never activated it and thus I was un-able to get bids in.. Sounds like I did'nt miss anything with him.

Old 01-20-2003, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Advice for everyone, STAY AWAY from Festberg's auctionsyou are just asking to get ripped off!!!!!

Old 01-20-2003, 06:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC_McKenzie

The only dudes that send me catalogues to bid in are Festberg and Lipset. Aren't those like the 2 foremost experts on baseball cards?

Old 01-20-2003, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Well, you could say Festberg is an expert...in trimmed and over graded cards. At one time he had a very good reputation, but during my 10 year hiatus from the hobby, it seems he sucumbed to the dark side.

Jay

Old 01-20-2003, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar