NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-29-2021, 07:20 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks Jerry G for this amazing multi year journey!

To all:

Brevity is the key here.

Jerry G started my 1961 Fleer Signed Basketball journey a few years ago by selling me a starter lot on this very site.

I aggressively put together the #1 Registry Set missing Carl Braun (none exist in a PSA/DNA slab).

For personal reasons I have sadly decided to break this beauty up (trust me I'm saving some of the rare pops including the signed Wilt Rookies) by sending about 70% of the set to REA for their Fall or Spring auction.

I pulled them out of their temp home today (safety deposit box) and found a low pop #42 Jack Twyman that is personalized "To Jerry".

I have in the past resisted offers to sell this card (3 exist in PSA/DNA holders) but in light of Jerry starting my amazing journey, I am offering this card back to him for free!

Jerry.......just say "I'll take it". One of the original cards that started me on this quest will now be back in your collection! Keep it, regift it, sell it or see how far you can throw it! lol

I hope you will accept!

Peace and happy collecting!

Mike

IMG_3170.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 09-29-2021 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:23 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
To all:

Brevity is the key here.

Jerry G started my 1961 Fleer Signed Basketball journey a few years ago by selling me a starter lot on this very site.

I aggressively put together the #1 Registry Set missing Carl Braun (none exist in a PSA/DNA slab).

For personal reasons I have sadly decided to break this beauty up (trust me I'm saving some of the rare pops including the signed Wilt Rookies) by sending about 70% of the set to REA for their Fall or Spring auction.

I pulled them out of their temp home today (safety deposit box) and found a low pop #42 Jack Twyman that is personalized "To Jerry".

I have in the past resisted offers to sell this card (3 exist in PSA/DNA holders) but in light of Jerry starting my amazing journey, I am offerring this card back to Jerry for free!

Jerry.......just say "I'll take it". One of the original cards that started me on this quest will now be back in your collection! Keep it, regift it, sell it or see how far you can throw it! lol

I hope you will accept!

Peace and happy collecting!

Mike

Attachment 480908
That is beyond awesome. Being nice to those that have helped us should be something we all do.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:25 PM
qualitycards

Mike very cool gesture!
Good luck w/ the REA consignments
Old 09-29-2021, 09:12 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Mike! Dude! I am truly touched. What a nice gesture.

I have followed your relentless journey and enjoyed every update. You are an amazing collector!

Thanks so much for remembering me. I look forward to telling OUR story each time I show the Jack Twyman card. Pretty damn cool!

So, yeah, I'LL TAKE IT! Thanks again, Mike and best of health and happiness to you and yours.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:26 PM
Mike P.ap

Default :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post
Mike! Dude! I am truly touched. What a nice gesture.

I have followed your relentless journey and enjoyed every update. You are an amazing collector!

Thanks so much for remembering me. I look forward to telling OUR story each time I show the Jack Twyman card. Pretty damn cool!

So, yeah, I'LL TAKE IT! Thanks again, Mike and best of health and happiness to you and yours.
Thanks Jerry for those kind words! Your collecting instincts were amazing! I need your address sorry, its been awhile, will send it out ASAP. Private message me!

Thanks to the comments from Jay and Ben also! Such a cool journey!

Peace, Mike

PS Can you share the Twyman story with everyone? I forgot how you got him. I believe it was raw when I got it from you and I sent it to PSA/DNA for slabbing. Did you meet him at a show or was it through the mail? Thanks!

PS 2 I forgot how good he was!!!

Jack Twyman Career highlights and awards:
6× NBA All-Star (1957–1960, 1962, 1963)
2× All-NBA Second Team (1960, 1962)
No. 27 retired by Sacramento Kings
Second-team All-American – NEA, INS (1955)
No. 27 retired by Cincinnati Bearcats

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 09-29-2021 at 10:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:36 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Incredible fact!

I JUST realized that

Koufax and Twyman were on the same hoops team in 1954!!!!

Cincy Bearcats!

So cool!

Peace, Mike
90466_sandy_koufax_1954_college_yearbook.jpg

I believe Twyman is the tall feller right next to Sandy!

Last edited by vthobby; 09-29-2021 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:08 AM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Thanks Jerry for those kind words! Your collecting instincts were amazing! I need your address sorry, its been awhile, will send it out ASAP. Private message me!

Thanks to the comments from Jay and Ben also! Such a cool journey!

Peace, Mike

PS Can you share the Twyman story with everyone? I forgot how you got him. I believe it was raw when I got it from you and I sent it to PSA/DNA for slabbing. Did you meet him at a show or was it through the mail? Thanks!

PS 2 I forgot how good he was!!!

Jack Twyman Career highlights and awards:
6× NBA All-Star (1957–1960, 1962, 1963)
2× All-NBA Second Team (1960, 1962)
No. 27 retired by Sacramento Kings
Second-team All-American – NEA, INS (1955)
No. 27 retired by Cincinnati Bearcats

Peace, Mike
I'm sure I obtained the signature TTM to Mr. Twyman's home address. I am out of town at the moment, but when I return I will check my records for dates and response time and any other info I might have recorded.

Thanks, again, Champ.
Old 09-30-2021, 10:16 AM
Robert Herd

Fantastic story.

Also, that Koufax/Twyman team photo is incredible!
Old 09-30-2021, 01:04 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Great stuff

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-30-2021, 01:57 PM
J@mes In.gram

What a story, what a thread! This has to rank up there with the "best of" on net54, yes?
Old 10-09-2021, 01:47 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Got it! This will be a great story to share when I have visitors to my card room. Thank you, Mike!

You kow Michael Jordan was not the only future NBA star to get cut form his high school team. Twyman was cut three times. He went on to play 11 years in the NBA. He was a six time all-star and averaged 19.2 points per game. After playing, he had a long career as an announcer with Chris Schenkel

He was even a better human being, though. His friend and teammate, Maurice Stokes suffered a head injury that left him paralysed. At 23 years old, Jackie T became Stokes' legal guardian and supported him he rest of his life.

Back to Mike's question of how did I obtain the signature. I kept pretty good records of when I mailed the cards out and when I received them. I'll be danged if I can find them right now!

When I started TTM autographs as a kid, I always requested that they sign, "To Jerry". Many did, like Joe DiMaggio, Hank Greenberg and Stan Muisial. Most didn't, like Jimmy Foxx and Dizzy Dean. As years went by, I started thinking about passing them on. Chances are they wouldn't go to someone named Jerry. So, I stopped requesting the personalization. The best I can deduce is that this card was sent and returned around 2008. I did not request, "To Jerry", but I am quite OK with the result.

Mike, you are one Hell of a collector and a fine gentleman. Thanks, again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61F Jack Twyman.jpg (9.0 KB, 154 views)
Old 10-10-2021, 04:27 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post
Got it! This will be a great story to share when I have visitors to my card room. Thank you, Mike!

You kow Michael Jordan was not the only future NBA star to get cut form his high school team. Twyman was cut three times. He went on to play 11 years in the NBA. He was a six time all-star and averaged 19.2 points per game. After playing, he had a long career as an announcer with Chris Schenkel

He was even a better human being, though. His friend and teammate, Maurice Stokes suffered a head injury that left him paralysed. At 23 years old, Jackie T became Stokes' legal guardian and supported him he rest of his life.

Back to Mike's question of how did I obtain the signature. I kept pretty good records of when I mailed the cards out and when I received them. I'll be danged if I can find them right now!

When I started TTM autographs as a kid, I always requested that they sign, "To Jerry". Many did, like Joe DiMaggio, Hank Greenberg and Stan Muisial. Most didn't, like Jimmy Foxx and Dizzy Dean. As years went by, I started thinking about passing them on. Chances are they wouldn't go to someone named Jerry. So, I stopped requesting the personalization. The best I can deduce is that this card was sent and returned around 2008. I did not request, "To Jerry", but I am quite OK with the result.

Mike, you are one Hell of a collector and a fine gentleman. Thanks, again.
Very welcome Jerry! It's back home!

Peace, Mike
Old 10-10-2021, 04:30 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

This is what makes this place unlike any other. Great stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 10-10-2021, 04:53 PM
octavio ranzola

Terrific