NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-28-2022, 05:59 AM
John De Bord

Default This came across my Twitter, '52 Mantle, need some help

and he's not a member here so I figured I'd try to help him out because I don't have an answer for him and I'm hoping someone here does. I have a background in illustration & what I see is is "rubylith", a very old skool way of masking things off for printing that was used before the digital age & desktop publishing but I am not 100% certain. I am however about 85% sure.

Who would even authenticate something like this? I don't even know where to begin.....
Thanks all!

Tweet is here https://twitter.com/Patbaseball7/sta...23097513086976

Last edited by t_vguy; 05-28-2022 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-01-2022, 01:28 PM
Steve Birmingham

That's a strange one.

To me it looks like a color negative.
It could also be a transparency that has faded. (Most color film from the era up till the early 80's will do that. )

The question then is what it was for.

Topps did a lot of stuff that the place I worked never did.

I don't think it's part of the mask for making the plates, those would be only one color, and would have less space around the edges since the cards had to be close enough.

If I had to guess, it might be a proof made from the individual color separations so they could make a positive print to verify how it would actually look.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:54 PM
Tim Odeen

We discussed this in another thread six months ago when he first showed it on Twitter. There were no definitive answers on that thread either.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 06-02-2022, 06:03 AM
J0hn Collin$

Does it have the missing pixel?