NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-08-2021, 09:15 AM
E. Angyal

Default Wantlists - to share or not to share (and why?)

Let me preface this post by saying in the past that if i was offered something I didnt collect but I knew of it being on someone elses wantlist that I made an effort to match the buyer with the seller. Ive even walked the floor of the National and other shows looking for material on others wantlists for people I considered hobby friends.

In my approximately 20 yrs of collecting Old Judge poses of a specific team, up until very recently ive share my complete pose wantlist with exactly one person who I considered a hobby friend. Keep in mind im down to looking for 14 more difficult poses of really bad players - definitely not Hofers or even stars.

Recently I was offered several poses I could use by another longtime collector. He informed me that i just missed out on several others on my wantlist that another collector (most likely not coincidentally) I shared my wantlist with ended up buying. They only bought the exact poses I need. I care somewhat but not really too much because ive actually been slowly divesting my collection to pursue other hobby interests. Im probably more disappointed than anything and I feel like a sucker for being trusting. Whatever.

Anyways - do you share your wantlists? Its hard to find tough material if noone knows your looking for it. Or do you keep it to yourself realizing someone will either jack up the prices on you because they know you “need” them or they will buy the items out from under you for whatever reason. What are your good/bad experiences with sharing wantsts? Is it a good idea? Im now more apt to share a wantlist for more commodity items like 1958 Topps cards or T206s but not rarities. Thanks for your responses - either pm or reply to ths thread.

Angyale

Last edited by Angyale; 09-08-2021 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Added “up until very recently” in appreciation of 2 longtime collectors who have tried to help out.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:33 AM
Johnny MaZilli

I don't
Old 09-08-2021, 09:40 AM

I share my want lists for fairly common cards - my ‘kinda’ want list. For the real want list, nope.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That sucks and one person (member), whom I barely like, comes to mind. He is a huge asshole....and I have known him 20+ yrs...I really can't stand him...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angyale View Post
Let me preface this post by saying in the past that if i was offered something I didnt collect but I knew of it being on someone elses wantlist that I made an effort to match the buyer with the seller. Ive even walked the floor of the National and other shows looking for material on others wantlists for people I considered hobby friends.

In my approximately 20 yrs of collecting Old Judge poses of a specific team, ive share my complete pose wantlist with exactly one person who I considered a hobby friend. Keep in mind im down to looking for 14 more difficult poses of really bad players - definitely not Hofers or even stars.

Recently I was offered several poses I could use by another longtime collector. He informed me that i just missed out on several others on my wantlist that another collector (most likely not coincidentally) I shared my wantlist with ended up buying. They only bought the exact poses I need. I care somewhat but not really too much because ive actually been slowly divesting my collection to pursue other hobby interests. Im probably more disappointed than anything and I feel like a sucker for being trusting. Whatever.

Anyways - do you share your wantlists? Its hard to find tough material if noone knows your looking for it. Or do you keep it to yourself realizing someone will either jack up the prices on you because they know you “need” them or they will buy the items out from under you for whatever reason. What are your good/bad experiences with sharing wantsts? Is it a good idea? Im now more apt to share a wantlist for more commodity items like 1958 Topps cards or T206s but not rarities. Thanks for your responses - either pm or reply to ths thread.

Angyale
Old 09-08-2021, 09:44 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

My wantlists are posted online for anyone to see and it generates trades and free cards fairly often. The link is in my signature. I'm not looking for anything really rare, except some Jersey City Skeeters items, so I don't care if people see it. I also won't overpay if someone were to try to gouge me on prices so I'm worried there. I have not problem saying no thanks.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 09-08-2021, 09:50 AM
Danny Smith

I post my want list of e105s that I still need for the set. There are a few of us going after the set and most of us know what the others are looking for.

Its been great for me as the other e105 collectors have helped me out and I've provided them leads as well. In addition I've had at least a dozen members reach out to me online or help me find cards at shows.

I know it doesn't always work out this way for others but without my list being public I wouldn't be anywhere near completing the set.
3) Crawford
4) Magee
5) O'Hara

N172 Want List
1) Phenomenal Smith (all poses and variations)

Last edited by Danny Smith; 09-08-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:10 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I can definitely see both sides of the argument. I lean more on the side of sharing. Items that are common, I have a set amount I'll pay and if it is over, well, there is always another one. Items that are rare, I might not see them right away, but another member might and grab them for me. I've found quite a few members that help each other out looking for items they need.

Here's one a member helped me get.

E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 09-08-2021, 10:12 AM
Howard Chasser

Default With friends like that.......

I don't think it's in general a bad idea to share a want list - understanding that if it is a rare item(s) you are looking for you may expect to pay a "little" more if someone turns it up (as a previous poster stated - always have the option of saying no thanks if it is a real gouge). What your "friend" did is a scumbag move (unless you knew he was also collecting the set and possibly had the same cards on his want list before sharing yours).

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:23 AM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angyale View Post

In my approximately 20 yrs of collecting Old Judge poses of a specific team, up until very recently ive share my complete pose wantlist with exactly one person who I considered a hobby friend. Keep in mind im down to looking for 14 more difficult poses of really bad players - definitely not Hofers or even stars.

Angyale
Eric,
This crosses my mind at times as well. A very tough situation, it’s a sad state with some in the hobby I’m always happy to help others find cards and have others help me as well. This does unfortunately happen and something I look down at as well. Best wishes and luck finding the pieces you need. Thanks again for Alexander card.

Josh
Old 09-08-2021, 10:24 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your experience.

I enjoy collecting and I put most of my passion into the rare or not so rare cards that often do not come up for auction often.

I share my list (on the signature sections below). I have also shared with my network of net54 forum connections and other connections I have.

It has helped me get many cards that I would not have because

1. Anyone looking to sell/trade any item that I am looking for now has a potential trade/sale partner
2. Many good people on the forum etc have made introductions for me or given me leads on people that have what I am looking for. (even if we do not make a deal made a connection and potential friend in someone who has similar interest)
3. Allows me also to make connections to bounce questions or concerns of a card with someone for any opinion that may have more expertise or experience than I do.
4. Also if I need to flip a card to raise cash for a higher priority card on my list I have contacts to potentially sell it faster so I do not lose out on the card that I want to get but need the funds for

I am also lucky I have not been "burned" or had any bad experiences from sharing my list.

Also if someone else gets the card I wanted the reality it "sucks" but there are so many other cards and opportunities in the future. I just go with the flow.

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-08-2021, 10:41 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Sorry to hear about that.
I've had nothing but good experiences sharing my want list and met so many great people here that help each other out. I look for cards they need and try to hook them up so they can check it off their list, and they do the same for me. A member here passed on bidding on a card in a recent auction so I could make a run at it. We were talking about the auction and it came up we were both interested in the card. Now he has unlimited resources so there was no way I could compete head to head so he just let it go. Super generous and a man of character like so many members here.

I did get very nasty message one time when I posted an LTB on BST. It was the strangest thing I've ever read here, come to find out it was from one of the well known asshole members here and I'm assuming he was drunk.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 09-08-2021, 11:35 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That sucks and one person (member), whom I barely like, comes to mind. He is a huge asshole....and I have known him 20+ yrs...I really can't stand him...
WOW! From "barely like" to "can't stand him " in under 20 words!
(Sorry, Leon. I just found the declining description amusing. )

As for the OP's comments/questions, my current "want" list is one card from a set that I thought I was done with, including all of the variations, when I discovered another variation that I don't believe is documented. I've been searching for the better part of 10 years now and I keep that to myself.

Successful transactions with:
300dw123, autograf, bn2cardz, buymycards, CobbvLajoie1910, Daves_resale_shop, frankbmd, GoCubsGo32, GoldenAge50s, GrayGhost, Head928, Jayworld, jdl860, jgmp123, kamikidEFFL, larrie804, Leerob538, lharri3600, Lordstan, megalimey, Orioles1954, quinnsryche, Redleg25, rjackson44, Rob D., SAllen2556, scmavl, slantycouch, slipk1068, Smanzari, TCMA, thetruthisouthere, Wolfgang427, yanks12025, ZackS
Old 09-08-2021, 11:56 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

I would be wary about sharing wantlists on hard to find vintage cards on here. There are a lot of lurkers that do not post and others that will scumbag you to try to sell for higher if you are making a set.

There are quite a few people on this board who are well connected and can definitely try to help out. I myself have helped people find m101s, rare backs, m116s, t227s and more for nothing in return. I love to see people build these amazing sets. Connecting people helps this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2021, 12:39 PM
Albert Bee

Default list

yea, I liked that too..from..the guys is eeh...to A hole / cant stand him ! LOL
Old 09-08-2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
yea, I liked that too..from..the guys is eeh...to A hole / cant stand him ! LOL
I believe the next logical step would be 'I wish he would rot in hell', and then add on 'with no water and wearing a really itchy sweater'.

Brian
Old 09-08-2021, 01:57 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Basic need lists (say, 1960's Topps stuff), just put it all out there for everyone to see. Need lists for rarer, hard to find cards, or things you are dying to get your hands on? I don't even like talking about the cards I'm searching for, lest I run into someone like your supposed hobby 'friend.'
Loose lips sink flips.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:07 PM
Christopher Herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
I also won't overpay if someone were to try to gouge me on prices so I'm worried there. I have not problem saying no thanks.
This ☝

My needs lists:
W514 strip cards
W515-2 strip cards
Old 09-08-2021, 06:37 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I can see both sides of it. I've put mine out there because in the past I've had people who have seen my wantlist reach out and left me know when they see cards I need come up. I haven't yet had anyone see a card I need, not tell me, then buy it and try to flip it to me for an obscene multiple of what they paid, so I guess I've been lucky there.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:23 PM
M@rk Lu7z

If there's one card, or other item, that is surprisingly hard to find, I tell no one for about 20 years. And then I break down and ask around.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:27 PM

I often share my wantlist with friends and dealers I trust. I generally don’t post them on a public forum, but that’s not because I am concerned about getting screwed. I have had a couple people over the years buy something they know I need and dangle it. Those people suck and I think they are shortsighted - I will no longer do deals with them and they likely lost out on lots of business with me over a single card.

I really try to help someone else if I can. However, sometimes I want a card I know someone else needs and I don’t want to stand down. DJ is a great example of that- I wanted a red crofts example, specifically an HOFer, and an Evers came up. I knew DJ needed it, but I really wanted it too. I won it and I love it. But if/when the time comes to part with it, DJ will 100% have first crack at it. It really sucks when you compete with friends and collectors you respect.

There are many people on this board who have helped me out over the years - Sean, Bryan, Chris, Wayne, Kevin, Joe, Andrew, Mike, Phil, Sonny, James and on and on. There are so many good guys on this forum, and I am so thankful for all the help I have gotten over the years. I hope I can reciprocate in time

My advice, I wouldn’t let a few bad crabs spoil the bushel.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 09-08-2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 09:31 PM
Doug Goodman

I'll tell anybody who asks what I'm looking for, and if somebody uses that against me, oh well. I won't pay more than what I want to pay, no matter how much I "need" something. Another will turn up eventually, and if not, oh well again.

Doug
Old 09-08-2021, 10:46 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

If they are easily found cards, no reason not too.

If it's a toughie that is known, no reason not too.

If it is a tough card that is known to exist but people don't realize, for example, that particular front/back combination is rare, I put it on my public want list in a way that doesn't highlight it as a rarity, but just a card I need.

If it is a card unknown to the hobby, I generally keep it quiet until I secure one, before I out it, if I do. Sometimes I bring it up and out it, specifically because it will bring one out that I can then 'overpay' for to acquire. If sellers don't know there is a variation or something making a card desirable, it will sit in their stack of cheap extras not worth selling forever.

There are also certain unknown variations that I just really like, and don't mention because others will simply drive the price up on me as I buy them up. I'm buying them because I like them with no intent to publicize and sell later, and I don't want the extra attention. This applies to tough but not super tough variations.

There are a couple hobby pals I would consider friends that I share more with, on the understanding it stays private and they don't publicly out a card we need. Usually I will send them a copy of the card in question if it's one I'm sort of hoarding on the downlow.

Academically, I'd rather share everything, but realistically, sometimes it's just screwing myself to do it, as the profiteers who don't care about the card but see an opportunity to get in early on a tougher variant jump in.
Old 09-09-2021, 06:45 AM
Chad

I share my wantlist freely. If nobody knows what you are looking it definitely makes it difficult to connect with somebody that has the card I am looking for. I do sometimes think I would be better off not sharing since I only collect Cobb and WaJo but am not going to overpay just because someone thinks they can use the list against me. I have only had positive experiences on Net54 so hopefully that continues.

Chad
T215 Type 1 Red Cross Walter Johnson
1914 Texas Tommy Type 1 Walter Johnson
1923-24 Billiken Pop Lloyd
1924-25 Aguilitas #846 and #870 Pop Lloyd
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Oliver "Ghost" Marcell
1923-24 Billiken or Tomas Gutierrez Dobie Moore
1924-25 Aguilitas #874 Dobie Moore
Old 09-09-2021, 06:53 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I will share a want list because most of it is ridiculously rare and I need all the help I can get. Anyone with a Royal Glue John L. Sullivan or a fully intact Big Minstrel Sullivan I mean you.

If the card is too expensive don’t buy it. Simple. After all, it's just baseball cards, dammit!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-12-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:18 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuncieNolePAZ View Post
I share my wantlist freely. If nobody knows what you are looking it definitely makes it difficult to connect with somebody that has the card I am looking for. I do sometimes think I would be better off not sharing since I only collect Cobb and WaJo but am not going to overpay just because someone thinks they can use the list against me. I have only had positive experiences on Net54 so hopefully that continues.

Chad
+1. Don't gouge me!
Old 09-11-2021, 04:21 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuncieNolePAZ View Post

Chad
+1 Agreed

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 09-13-2021, 03:52 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

I would have no problems sharing my want list. I'm not worried about anyone sniping me out of spite. I'll pay whatever I think something is worth.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:44 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Some I did, more reluctant now.

Specifically one card a board member posted a BST thread to try and Goad me into thinking he had a card I needed. Could have done without the waste of time there.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors