NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Barry Sloate

Default Is Anybody Watching Watson on Jeopardy?

The tournament on Jeopardy which pairs Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter against IBM computer Watson has been pretty interesting, with the final round to be played tonight. It's clear that the computer has a huge advantage, and it is because it simply can signal in faster than a human. If there is a situation where all three know the answer, I think Watson will get it every time. It takes a human a few milliseconds to bend the thumb and press the buzzer, while a computer signals in electronically. And that is a winning advantage. And of course its response last night in Final Jeopardy was a mystery.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-16-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Rawn Hill

I agree that the computer has the info proccessing advantage. I'm a Jeopadry junkie and once had a best of 48 out of the 61 answers. It is very entertaining to watch and Watson certainly is an outstanding machine.

My personal nightmare is getting onto the show and having catagories like "Women's fashions","Polo terms","Poetry","hip-Hop music","Things that go through a cat's mind"

Rawn
Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM

I saw that last night and thought it was pretty amazing. As an owner of IBM, I was pulling for Watson. More impressive than the signal speed, I thought, was Watson's ability to process the most likely top three responses along with the percentage possibility of them being accurate - in less than a second

Was last night the first round or the second?

I hope the folks at Jeopardy are going to try to trip up Watson tonight, I was feeling sorry for those poor humans.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Barry Sloate

Rawn- I know what you are saying. In the first round there was a category Beatles Names and I knew all five easily. But if the category were Hip Hop I wouldn't be able to answer even the most basic question. Everybody has topics they know nothing about (forget opera too, I'm a goner).

Tsaiko- it took them Monday and Tuesday to play a full game, as they spent a good deal of time giving the audience a behind the scenes look at the IBM facility, as well as the computer itself. Tonight is the last night and I'm guessing they will play a regular game.

Yet I found it amazing that in a Final Jeopardy of U.S. Cities, the computer responded Toronto. It would be most interesting to see how it derailed on it.

Certainly Watson has an incredible amount of information that it can process at the speed of light, but its ability to understand the questions, when words often have multiple meanings, is most impressive to me.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-16-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Rawn Hill

Toronto really threw me. The wording puzzles are the hardest part to figure out and not the actual answers.

Rawn
Old 02-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Johnny S

Wow I haven't seen an episode for a decade or so, is Alex Trebec still the host ?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Barry Sloate

Yes, Trebek is still the host. He's now in his early seventies.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Yes, Trebek is still the host. He's now in his early seventies.
Wow that is nuts he's gonna give Bob Barker a run for his money if that is possible. A good trivia question would be 'How many questions has Alex Trebek asked on the show', of course I guess it would have to be when he is done but what a run for him.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Barry Sloate

Watson won going away. At least I got Bram Stoker for Final Jeopardy.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
they spent a good deal of time giving the audience a behind the scenes look at the IBM facility, as well as the computer itself.
I'm sorry I missed that, what a great PR move for IBM.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:54 AM
Nick

my big problem with this tournament was that since watson didnt interpret actual speech, the system fed him a txt file with that question as soon as alex stated reading the question - this was unfair to the humans as with the power of watson im sure it had calculated its answer before trebek was even half way done with reading the question - im pretty sure they knew this as well b/c when they were doing the behind the scenes stuff they quickly glossed over the synchronization issues and just stated how the computer got the questions
Old 02-18-2011, 05:55 PM

I agree that Watson had an unfair advantage with its ability to ring in before the other players, when all three knew the answers. Among three live players, one would expect that each would be successful in ringing in for approximately 1/3 of the clues in such circumstances. Yet, Watson rang in first virtually every time. Maybe a fairer test would be to remove, or at least reduce, the element of speed.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:39 PM
Joann

That was my absolute first impression - that the computer had a mechanical advantage of speed ringing in. It seemed unfair because you could clearly tell that the other two both knew some answers and were unsuccessful in timing the buzzer. It definitely felt to me like it was enough of an advantage to affect the results.

So I dropped something off to my parents the first night and ended up sitting and watching with them. They are both about 80 and both were correctly impressed with Watson's overall ability to answer questions.

But ... hahaha. At one point Watson said, while picking a question, that he would "finish out the category". My dad was completely blown away by this. I explained some simple ways that Watson would be able to track which questions were done in a category. But with everything there was to be amazed by, my dad simply could not get past being impressed that he knew when there was only one answer left in a category.

My mom? She was by far most impressed that Watson was somehow able to answer in the form of a question.

J