NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-13-2020, 01:05 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Default Considering major change to collection

So, I keep coming back to this idea. Considering selling majority of my collection and using those funds towards the purchase of a big card, a mid grade 52T Mantle. Im currently pretty far into the 52 low numbers, most of the 54T set and a bunch of mid grade rookies spanning vintage to modern. I’ve always wanted a nice 52 Mantle, but can’t justify the cost if coming out of pocket. So this would provide the means. Been going back and forth on this for a bit now, just can’t decide. I’d be selling cards mostly individually, so not exactly looking forward to all that, hence some of my hesitation.

Has anybody here done the same?
Old 08-13-2020, 01:25 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I been in somewhat same shape..I colected all sorts of Mickey mantle and just jumped in on a 52 RC....then gradually got other RC's and jumped into some pre-war.
GO FOR IT!!!!!
The search can be long for a nice centered one, but just dont jump on one, wait & it come to you. Then, Enjoy it once you got it!!!
Old 08-13-2020, 01:34 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks14sr View Post
So, I keep coming back to this idea. Considering selling majority of my collection and using those funds towards the purchase of a big card, a mid grade 52T Mantle. Im currently pretty far into the 52 low numbers, most of the 54T set and a bunch of mid grade rookies spanning vintage to modern. I’ve always wanted a nice 52 Mantle, but can’t justify the cost if coming out of pocket. So this would provide the means. Been going back and forth on this for a bit now, just can’t decide. I’d be selling cards mostly individually, so not exactly looking forward to all that, hence some of my hesitation.

Has anybody here done the same?
Not that I've done the same but I wanted to chime in. I know you're looking for a mid grade Mantle, but there are some fantastic looking Lower grade or Authentic graded Mantle's out there, which sometimes would make it slightly easier on the wallet. That will most likely be my route to obtaining one somewhere down the road in the future.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:40 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I've considered a similar course of action in my own collection. Selling a bunch of lesser cards to fund the purchase of one nicer one. Only, instead of looking at Mantles I'm looking at Cobb and Wagner. I just can't do it though. I love my cards and figure some day I'll either get a Cobb or not. Whatever. I'll get what I can now because I love the hobby and I love collecting baseball cards. I'm not running out of stuff to buy any time soon.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-13-2020, 08:31 PM
J0hn H@rper

I'd split the difference. Keep your favorite cards from your current collection and get the Mantle around PSA 3.

Only half as expensive as a 5 (but doesn't cost a ton more than a 1.5 or 2).

Probably the best value for a '52 T Mantle, plus it'd probably feel like you got the best of both worlds.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:33 PM

Default Time ,

[QUOTE. Been going back and forth on this for a bit now, just can’t decide. I’d be selling cards mostly individually, so not exactly looking forward to all that, hence some of my hesitation.

Has anybody here done the same?[/QUOTE]

... Most everyone on this forum has done that type of selling , a lot right here in the BST but more often on E-Bay.....if you have cards , whose value once sold , will buy you a 'nice '52 Topps Mantle , you'll need to study the many threads on here about the sharks out there in E-Bay land.......are you familiar with our own neat and clean " BST" here on 54 ?......something to look into.....just a thought....it sounds like you have some really nice rare high-end stuff ???? he asked , hopefully ??

Old 08-14-2020, 07:01 AM

52T Mantle is the card to get and hold, I would do it no question. As said before, be patient and find a well centered copy with good eye appeal.
Old 08-14-2020, 07:39 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Thank you for the feedback guys. I could sell 8-10 cards and be in the PSA 2 range for a Mantle. But, it would be difficult for me to spend the 20kish on a 2 with glaring flaws (creases, centering, etc). I'd be leaning towards a nice 3 and up to a 4.5, just to give an idea price wise. If i'm spending this kind of money, I want the appeal factor high. Really kicking myself in the ass for not pulling the trigger a few years back seeing current prices.

I have used the BST section for multiple purchases, but have not been a seller here yet. It will sting selling off a lot of cards, as I still enjoy collecting and I like what I have. Over the last couple years, i've bought quite a few higher end cards (56 Mantle, multiple 54 Aarons, mid grade 52 star cards, just to name a few) and that amount adds up to lesson the sting of a big purchase. Decision time
Old 08-14-2020, 08:02 AM

I have been doing what you are thinking about for the last 5 years. I put together sets for years and then they just end up sitting. I have been downsizing my collection with the idea of adding at least one big card per year. In my experience it is better to have a few high dollar cards than a bunch of commons and stars. The high dollar cards’, like the 52 T Mantle, value comes from demand and that demand just grows. A perfect example is the 1949 Leaf Jackie Robinson RC. I am glad that I picked up a nice one because with the recent jump in price, I wouldn’t want to buy at today’s prices. The best time to get that Mantle is now. If it takes a jump, you will just have to sell more cards if it isn’t out of your reach.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:45 AM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I have been doing what you are thinking about for the last 5 years. I put together sets for years and then they just end up sitting. I have been downsizing my collection with the idea of adding at least one big card per year. In my experience it is better to have a few high dollar cards than a bunch of commons and stars. The high dollar cards’, like the 52 T Mantle, value comes from demand and that demand just grows. A perfect example is the 1949 Leaf Jackie Robinson RC. I am glad that I picked up a nice one because with the recent jump in price, I wouldn’t want to buy at today’s prices. The best time to get that Mantle is now. If it takes a jump, you will just have to sell more cards if it isn’t out of your reach.
I’m starting to feel the same. I’d rather have 3 big cards, being a 52T Mantle, mid grade J Robinson Leaf rc, and a high grade Jordan rc. Once I have those, I’d resume collecting random wants as they arise. My current path has no real direction beyond collecting the 2 sets I do. I’ve been pretty loose to this point, buying all types of cards impulsively, which would be indefinite.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:49 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks14sr View Post
Thank you for the feedback guys. I could sell 8-10 cards and be in the PSA 2 range for a Mantle. But, it would be difficult for me to spend the 20kish on a 2 with glaring flaws (creases, centering, etc). I'd be leaning towards a nice 3 and up to a 4.5, just to give an idea price wise. If i'm spending this kind of money, I want the appeal factor high. Really kicking myself in the ass for not pulling the trigger a few years back seeing current prices.

I have used the BST section for multiple purchases, but have not been a seller here yet. It will sting selling off a lot of cards, as I still enjoy collecting and I like what I have. Over the last couple years, i've bought quite a few higher end cards (56 Mantle, multiple 54 Aarons, mid grade 52 star cards, just to name a few) and that amount adds up to lesson the sting of a big purchase. Decision time
Those other cards have gone up more in the last few years than the '52 T Mantle. You're in better shape than you would've been if you were making this change in reverse
Old 08-15-2020, 01:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I've often considered that approach but I can never bring myself to do it. I just so enjoy having a buncha cards instead of one card.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-15-2020, 02:02 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I've often considered that approach but I can never bring myself to do it. I just so enjoy having a buncha cards instead of one card.
I also enjoy sorting through my cards and piecing together my sets. Started making my list of cards to sell off. Feel like a little kid not wanting to give up toys. In the mean time, bought another partial 52T set today haha. I don’t make things easier for myself at times.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:05 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
+1...I couldn't bring myself to do it. I love the variety of sets, players, and designs far too much.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Kev1n @1les

I'm at the same exact place. I have all sets back to 48 Bowman except the three big ones - 49 Bowman, 51 Bowman and 52 Topps. I have been reticent to add to the collection if I am going to turn around and liquidate the sets into a few waterfront cards because it would not make sense to pay buyer's premium and then turn around and sell with commission (if it at an AH or Ebay). My 54 is my pride and joy as well. All HOFers are at least PSA 6. I bought right on my Aaron in 2015 and that set alone would bring a pretty penny. I also have all of the HOFers in '55 and '56 in PSA 6 as well.

I have worked so hard to buy right and upgrade along the way, it would be painful to get rid of them - but the ones that have the most value are the ones that mean the most to me, so if I just kept those then it would defeat the purpose because I would guess that at least a quarter if not a third of the value of my collection in those three sets alone.

While it appears that the collection is increasing in value, it is not keeping up with the increase in value of the cards that I would pursue to take their place. I also want to make sure that it would be a seamless transition and would not be tempted to put the money into something other than cards... so the dilemma continues...

Good luck with your decision. I know that it has been driving me a little crazy lately and I have almost totally stopped collecting this past year and that is not what I want to do either.

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set
Old 08-15-2020, 04:29 PM
Bill
Bi.lly Kru.pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
I'm at the same exact place. I have all sets back to 48 Bowman except the three big ones - 49 Bowman, 51 Bowman and 52 Topps. I have been reticent to add to the collection if I am going to turn around and liquidate the sets into a few waterfront cards because it would not make sense to pay buyer's premium and then turn around and sell with commission (if it at an AH or Ebay). My 54 is my pride and joy as well. All HOFers are at least PSA 6. I bought right on my Aaron in 2015 and that set alone would bring a pretty penny. I also have all of the HOFers in '55 and '56 in PSA 6 as well.

I have worked so hard to buy right and upgrade along the way, it would be painful to get rid of them - but the ones that have the most value are the ones that mean the most to me, so if I just kept those then it would defeat the purpose because I would guess that at least a quarter if not a third of the value of my collection in those three sets alone.

While it appears that the collection is increasing in value, it is not keeping up with the increase in value of the cards that I would pursue to take their place. I also want to make sure that it would be a seamless transition and would not be tempted to put the money into something other than cards... so the dilemma continues...

Good luck with your decision. I know that it has been driving me a little crazy lately and I have almost totally stopped collecting this past year and that is not what I want to do either.
You nailed it on the head. Your second to last sentence really resonates. If I don’t move quickly on purchasing said expensive card after selling everything, I’d be tempted to put the money elsewhere. As that kind of money is a nice boat, 997 or chunk of stock.

The cards I need to sell are my current prized possession cards. They’ve doubled in value just during my ownership, so that’s one upside at least.

Bought 280 more 52T today, so basically finished my low number set and upgraded a bunch of cards within that. Once I’m ready to post all my stuff, it will have plenty of appeal and should move easily. My goal is to keep my main 52 set and my 54 set in tact. Going to move all my modern stuff first, my 52 duplicate partial set and about 10 bigger vintage cards. Now preparing a bulk submission to get the ball rolling for listing.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:36 PM
Jay Shumsky

Make sure you really are ready to sell your sets before you do. Around 10 years ago, I sold my run of Bowman and Play Ball sets along with a few other pre-war sets to pay for work we were having done on our house. I was never happy about doing it, so about 5 years ago, I started putting them back together. Unfortunately, cards like the 51 Bowman Mantle and Mays had really gone up in price so it cost a lot more the second time than it did the first.