NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-03-2022, 07:24 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Default auction fees and the damage done

I really need to pay closer attention to how much I'm really committing to when I place a bid. I'm so used to just figuring it's going to be an extra 30% with Heritage that I ignored the fact that it's much higher for cheaper lots. I won a single T206 common last night with a $31 bid, but the total bill comes to $77.93. Oops.

SubTotal: $31.00
*Buyer's Premium: $29.00
**Service and Handling: $12.83
Sales Tax: $5.10
Invoice Total: $77.93
Old 06-03-2022, 08:12 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

what auction house had a buyers premium of $29 on a $31 bid???
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 06-03-2022, 08:14 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
what auction house had a buyers premium of $29 on a $31 bid???
right?????? a 90% buyers premium????
Old 06-03-2022, 08:25 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

They get you with a “minimum $29” buyers premium…Sucks.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:33 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfast View Post
They get you with a “minimum $29” buyers premium…Sucks.
would u share the "house?"
Old 06-03-2022, 08:35 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

It's Heritage Auctions.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:36 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
right?????? a 90% buyers premium????
More like 94% in this case
Old 06-03-2022, 08:43 AM
Rob G.

yup, I had my eye on a number of lots that have ended in the past couple weeks in the $30-range, but the $29 min BP + high-as-hell shipping charges (should be $5 to ship a $50 card, not $13) kept me away.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:53 AM
Rob

Buyer's premium is the biggest scam running. How have collectors not revolted against this archaic policy?
Old 06-03-2022, 08:57 AM
Rob

Here's a humorous explanation of why Buyer's Premiums exist...From an auction house of course. One I've never used and likely never will...

When attending an auction keep in mind that the buyer's premium is used to enhance the customer experience. The buyer's premium is charged so buyers are comfortable during the time of auctions and so the auction can operate efficiently. The extra charge is always put to good use.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:14 AM
Drew W@i$e

It would not surprise me moving forward to see an increase in BP.

AHs are making more money this year, why not make more?

Last edited by parkplace33; 06-03-2022 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 09:15 AM
octavio ranzola

buy here
Old 06-03-2022, 09:23 AM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
Buyer's premium is the biggest scam running. How have collectors not revolted against this archaic policy?
As a buyer you just factor Buyers Premium (BP) in to your maximum bid. So with 20% BP and $10 shipping and 6% sales tax, if you are willing to spend $140 max then your max bid will be around $100.

It is the consignor who should be upset with high BP, because on a $140 bill they are only seeing $100 (less if there are seller fees, and the cost of shipping the item to the AH + grading fees etc).
Old 06-03-2022, 10:19 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
As a buyer you just factor Buyers Premium (BP) in to your maximum bid. So with 20% BP and $10 shipping and 6% sales tax, if you are willing to spend $140 max then your max bid will be around $100.

It is the consignor who should be upset with high BP, because on a $140 bill they are only seeing $100 (less if there are seller fees, and the cost of shipping the item to the AH + grading fees etc).
Adapting to the BP doesn't make the BP ok. What's the rational explanation for a $29 BP on a $31 auction win? Heritage likely made more on that sale than the consignor.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:23 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Adapting to the BP doesn't make the BP ok. What's the rational explanation for a $29 BP on a $31 auction win? Heritage likely made more on that sale than the consignor.
The consignor in this case was David Hall. You may be right about this particular card, but he'll be fine.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:29 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
The consignor in this case was David Hall. You may be right about this particular card, but he'll be fine.
I assume this guy is rich? And your implication is that since rich people can afford exorbitant BPs and their impact on sale prices, they're not an issue?
Old 06-03-2022, 10:36 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
I'd be fine with a minimum BP as long as the BP was reduced on the large purchases, say over 10K down to 15%.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-03-2022, 10:42 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

HA has always, at least as long as I can remember, had a minimum buyers premium. I just wasn't aware they raised it from $14 to $29. At least HA does show the BP amount if you bid for the item on the item page.

Is the buyer's premiums for the auction stated in the consignment contract for any AH? Just thinking out loud, but if the AH raises the buyers the premium, the natural response to achieve the same total would be a lower bid amount resulting in less money to the consignor. How as a consignor would you feel in this situation?

Quote:
and without a buyers premium, how would you suggest the AH make money for the service they provide?
Old 06-03-2022, 11:09 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post

and without a buyers premium, how would you suggest the AH make money for the service they provide?
They need 30+% of every sale to keep the lights on?

Last edited by Fballguy; 06-03-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:23 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
They need 30+% of every sale to keep the lights on?
Nobody's getting rich at 20% gross margin before expenses.

-
Old 06-03-2022, 11:24 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

It seems to me that HA is saying to the consigner: "We don't want to list anything that won't sell for $145 or more. We recommend letting us combine it with one or more similar items so that the probable hammer exceeds $145. Or, we will list it with a minimum $29 BP. Your call." I don't see the buyer's complaint, unless the bidding rules were unclear.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2022, 11:52 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

do any other Auction Houses have this same high minimum and lower priced cards?

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 06-03-2022, 12:10 PM
James

I messed up on that last night as well, after looking this morning. NOTE TO MYSELF, do not randomly bid while in bed half asleep. Once again, broke my golden rule to focus on one card per auction__WIN OR LOSE.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

As a bidder, know what the premium is and factor it into your bid. The end.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:16 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I think some of you maybe didn't read my post. I'm not criticizing the auction house. I'm just offering my blunder as a cautionary tale.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:17 PM
John €ffenheim

The minimum BP should be commensurate with the the projected dollar value of the lots offered. Either offer lots to get the value to level up to where the minimum fee is reasonable or lower it.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:20 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

It's like the old Teletrade. That system had a minimum commission. I remember I once netted a dollar on a lot of cards.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-03-2022, 02:32 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Nobody's getting rich at 20% gross margin before expenses.
This I doubt. In today's virtual world, overhead and other costs aren't nearly the issue that they used to be. And there's also the "service and handling" that goes toward expenses.

So I'd guess that the big AHs are doing quite, quite well lately. Especially with as many auctions as they run (and how much the most valuable lots are worth nowadays). 20% of those numbers is an awful high figure to start out with.
Old 06-03-2022, 02:59 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
This I doubt. In today's virtual world, overhead and other costs aren't nearly the issue that they used to be. And there's also the "service and handling" that goes toward expenses.

So I'd guess that the big AHs are doing quite, quite well lately. Especially with as many auctions as they run (and how much the most valuable lots are worth nowadays). 20% of those numbers is an awful high figure to start out with.
I should have prefaced my comment to not include the big AH's like Heritage that auctions everything under the sun. My comment was more for the medium to smaller auction houses. I see how hard these guys work every auction, I also know that 20% margin before expenses in any business is pretty skinny, and they don't always make 20% on the premier offerings. There are AH owners on this sub smarter than me so maybe they can comment on the economics.

-
Old 06-03-2022, 03:27 PM

Regarding auction houses, don't forget the seller also pays a 10-20% fee for the AH to sell the item. Let's say for example an item sells for $100. The AH may get 25% from the buyer and 20% from the seller. Hmmm, high school math tells me that's about 45%. Also, they never owned the item but they did facilitate in getting the item sold; advertising, packaging, shipping, collecting the money, etc. etc.

Auction houses do provide a needed service in a lot of respects that a seller could never accomplish on their own. They also deserve to be compensated for what they provide. I would think the market would determine what type of commissions they receive, but I thought the same thing about grading companies.

Another thought regarding auction houses, don't think just because a large auction house is selling your item you will get a much higher price than selling it on your own. That's not necessarily true. I've sold a few items through an auction house, not a lot but a few. I was very pleased in that once I turned it in, I was done. Everything else was taken care of. I wasn't real thrilled with the prices they sold for.

Just imagine if a real estate agent received that kind of money from selling a house! Sign me up.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:09 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post

Ebay has 11,000 employees and can somehow turn a profit without a buyer's premium. Heritage has what? 500?
Old 06-03-2022, 05:34 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
Regarding auction houses, don't forget the seller also pays a 10-20% fee for the AH to sell the item. Let's say for example an item sells for $100. The AH may get 25% from the buyer and 20% from the seller. Hmmm, high school math tells me that's about 45%. Also, they never owned the item but they did facilitate in getting the item sold; advertising, packaging, shipping, collecting the money, etc. etc.

Auction houses do provide a needed service in a lot of respects that a seller could never accomplish on their own. They also deserve to be compensated for what they provide. I would think the market would determine what type of commissions they receive, but I thought the same thing about grading companies.

Another thought regarding auction houses, don't think just because a large auction house is selling your item you will get a much higher price than selling it on your own. That's not necessarily true. I've sold a few items through an auction house, not a lot but a few. I was very pleased in that once I turned it in, I was done. Everything else was taken care of. I wasn't real thrilled with the prices they sold for.

Just imagine if a real estate agent received that kind of money from selling a house! Sign me up.
IF a seller is paying a fee at this point in the history of the world to an auction house that charges a BP, they're with the wrong auction house. No matter how many times we go through this, we have to go through it again apparently.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-03-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:50 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
IF a seller is paying a fee at this point in the history of the world to an auction house that charges a BP, they're with the wrong auction house. No matter how many times we go through this, we have to go through it again apparently.
What are the right ones?
Old 06-03-2022, 06:23 PM

Quote:
What are the right ones?
Good one Rob beer chug.gif
Old 06-03-2022, 06:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Here is just one but as he says they are countless.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showpo...8&postcount=22

Old 06-03-2022, 06:53 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Here is just one but as he says they are countless.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showpo...8&postcount=22
I don't see any names in that post and I understand they may be countless but could you name maybe...two?
Old 06-03-2022, 10:26 PM
Frank Wakefield

$29 minimum fee seems nuts...

I think it's absolutely wrong to charge tax on the premiums, fees, handling, and postage. Hell's Bells, the USPS doesn't charge tax on stamps!

$12.83 for handling and service? That's crap service, and they should have handled the card a lot less.

Maybe, instead of offering several common cards in one lot and getting one premium and one handling fee, they break them down into single card lots. That way the consigner maybe gets the same money, or close; and the auction house gets a pile of handling fee money. A bit like a gigolo, they service you and you pay for it.
Old 06-03-2022, 10:35 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Rea

Quote:
I don't see any names in that post and I understand they may be countless but could you name maybe...two?
REA and........ REA !

Last edited by vthobby; 06-03-2022 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 06:19 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Let's wait for Ken and Rob to tell us how much their auction houses are making.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:44 AM
D@n.M@tsing3r

Quote:
Cause it doesn’t matter to the buyer, in the end the price is the price whether I’m paying BP or not and if the price is in the range I want to pay doesn’t make a difference. Cosignors on the other hand I can understand hating BP especially if there are commissions on top.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:32 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskim View Post
Let's wait for Ken and Rob to tell us how much their auction houses are making.
"Chriskim...Buyer's Premium Super Fan"

Heritage had 1/7th of Ebays revenue in 2021...1.4 Billion vs 10.4 Billion. But Ebay is 20+ times the size of Heritage. Feels like those numbers don't align to me.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:36 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmats33312 View Post
Cause it doesn’t matter to the buyer, in the end the price is the price whether I’m paying BP or not and if the price is in the range I want to pay doesn’t make a difference. Cosignors on the other hand I can understand hating BP especially if there are commissions on top.

This is the fallacy collector's tell themselves to help them sleep at night.
Old 06-04-2022, 12:45 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

I believe that some AH's give a small % of the BP back to favorite consignors for high value cards. Clearly, that is not the case here.
Old 06-04-2022, 01:56 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

If there is a minimum buyers premium shouldnt there be a maximum buyers premium? Isn’t there a cap as to how much your buyer’s experience can be enhanced?
Old 06-04-2022, 02:00 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:

This is the fallacy collector's tell themselves to help them sleep at night.
No fallacy at all. When I bid I set a limit as to what I will pay for each lot and bid to that level or less. The level is my total cost including buyers fees, tax, shipping, etc. I don’t care how you name the pieces, for my part you can call them auction house vacation fund, I just care about the aggregate number.
Old 06-04-2022, 02:11 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmats33312 View Post
So how much should the OP have bid for the card in the first post if he was willing to shell out $3X to have the card added to his collection??
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 06-04-2022, 02:47 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
So how much should the OP have bid for the card in the first post if he was willing to shell out $3X to have the card added to his collection??
I'm not sure I understand your variable $3X here, but I'd have intentionally paid about $50 for this card. Knowing in retrospect that I didn't win anything else in the auction, and knowing now what the shipping/handling charges are, I should have put in a max bid of $4.90 for the card. I would have been outbid, but a winning bid of $4.90 would have given me an invoice total of $50.

Edited to add: In this case then I guess X would be 16.67 and my bid would be about $0.29X for a bill of $3X.

Last edited by darwinbulldog; 06-04-2022 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:01 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your variable $3X here, but I'd have intentionally paid about $50 for this card. Knowing in retrospect that I didn't win anything else in the auction, and knowing now what the shipping/handling charges are, I should have put in a max bid of $4.90 for the card. I would have been outbid, but a winning bid of $4.90 would have given me an invoice total of $50.
In case anyone is wondering, HA does provide details on how shipping and handling costs are calculated and offers an estimated shipping button that you can click near the bottom of every item listing.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:01 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
I think it would be nice if going forward any auction house with minimum BPs put a footnote to that effect in cheap lot descriptions. Otherwise, it is better to skip the auction route and just buy that type of card on eBay or from a dealer.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:05 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
No fallacy at all. When I bid I set a limit as to what I will pay for each lot and bid to that level or less. The level is my total cost including buyers fees, tax, shipping, etc. I don’t care how you name the pieces, for my part you can call them auction house vacation fund, I just care about the aggregate number.
Exactly. Call the final price what you will, so long as I know in advance how to calculate it. The fallacy is the guy who thinks he really would have/ should have won that card for $250 it it weren't for that nasty, unfair, hidden, undeserved and evil 20% BP that adds another $50. As if no one would have bid the card to $300 if there was no BP.

As for the minimum BP, that does suck but at least it was disclosed. It sends a clear message that the AH prefers to sell higher dollar items and encourages bidders to think about bidding on multiple items. Makes sense at some level, but it can be harsh to some, as we now see.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.