NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-01-2022, 11:21 AM

Default ENDS TONIGHT- Tue. 15th Hake's Auction #234 Only Known Mendez & More.

Hake’s is America’s first collectibles auction house, serving the hobby since 1967.

Auction #234 open for bidding now at- https://www.hakes.com/

To sign in or register (if a new bidder)- https://www.hakes.com/Login

The auction closes March 15-16 with most sports lots closing during the first session, March 15.

Items begin closing at 9pm ET both closing days. Closing procedure can be found here- https://www.hakes.com/Article/1250/1...ing-Procedures

In total there are 1,986 lots covering a wide range of Pop Culture collectibles and Americana.

Hake’s is excited to present five extremely rare Cuban cards from the 1922 Romeo And Julieta Cigars series, all from the legendary Richard Merkin Collection. All have been authenticated and graded by CSG- Certified Sports Guaranty.

The highlight of which is the most desirable card in the set, National Baseball Hall Of Fame Member, Jose Mendez aka the “Black Diamond.” CSG 2.5 Good+. This is the ONLY example extant of this card, a must have for any serious baseball HOF card collection.

The CSG article on this amazing card can be found at- https://www.csgcards.com/news/articl...e-mendez-card/

The other four are:
Heliodoro Hidalgo (Cuban Baseball Hall Of Fame) CSG 3 VG.
F. Espineira CSG 2 Good.
R. Ramos CSG 3 VG.
M. Santamaria CSG 2 Good.

Once again there are a selection of baseball (and other sports) pin-back buttons from the Paul Muchinsky Collection including:

1906 Chicago Cubs “Champions.”
1920 and 1922 Mrs. Sherlock’s Bread Toledo Mud Hens Complete Sets (2) With Roger Bresnahan (HOF).
1924 Chicago Evening American Cubs & White Sox Complete Set With Five Hall Of Famers.
1930 Chicago Evening American Cubs Complete Set With Five Hall Of Famers.
1934 Ward’s Sporties Complete Set With Four Hall Of Famers Including Dizzy Dean.
1947 Jackie Robinson Rookie Era Rare PM10.
1949 Joe Dimaggio Rare Single Day Special Event Button.
1956 Topps Set of 60 (Plus Factory Error) With 12 Hall Of Famers.
And more.

Other baseball highlights include:

1889 A35 Goodwin & Co. Baseball Tobacco Album With Nine Hall Of Famers.
1898 Chicago Orphans (Cubs) Vs. Philadelphia Phillies Program/Score Card With Five Hall Of Famers.
1911 Frank “Home Run” Baker (HOF) Philadelphia Athletics World’s Series Hero Real Photo Button.
1940s “Hit A Homer” Nickel Drop Trade Stimulator/Arcade Game.
Negro Leagues Multi-Signed Baseball Bat With Willie Mays And Four Other Hall Of Famers.
And more.

This auction also features over 300 comic books, most are CGC certified and include many key issues and highest graded.

There are over 500 action figures, 300 of which are vintage Star Wars, with the vast majority AFA encapsulated and graded. The rarest of the rare, when it comes to Star Wars toys, are in this auction and that includes a Boba Fett Rocket-Firing J-Slot Prototype.

Not to be missed are two key Pokémon cards-

1999 Base Set Charizard 4/102 1st Edition Holo CGC 9 Mint.
1999 Base Set Charizard 4/102 Holo Unlimited PSA Gem Mint 10.

For political item and historical artifact collectors, we have over 500 incredible lots led by the “Honus Wagner” of political campaign buttons, a 1-1/4” Cox And Roosevelt Jugate, the first offered at auction in over 40 years.

Please visit https://www.hakes.com/ to view the entire auction.

Hake’s is always accepting quality consignments. Contact us today to find out why Hake’s is the consignor’s best choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mendez.jpg (76.0 KB, 442 views)

Last edited by Hake's Auctions; 03-15-2022 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:33 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Csg ??

Last edited by chriskim; 03-01-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:00 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Yeah, the CSG jumped out at me. A number of freshly graded card. All CSG.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:19 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Yeah, the CSG jumped out at me. A number of freshly graded card. All CSG.
I think they might be better than the alternatives, personally.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:23 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

I seem to remember all of the Richard Merkin collection coming out of Hakes is graded by CSG.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 03-01-2022, 01:35 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

I think some of the collection is CSG, probably the most recently graded. But some of it is SGC also.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2022, 11:16 AM
Jamie

If I remember correctly SGC stopped putting Richard Merkin Collection on the slab and CSG would do it.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:21 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I think CSG is the best choice for RyJ cards (I have some boxers). if you haven't held one they are photographs, paper-thin like Fatimas. In PSA slabs they are rattlers and the gaskets in SGC slabs are often to blame for the cards slipping under, so a holder with an internal sleeve is a very good idea. I had my Susini Speaker slabbed with CSG and I am very pleased with the results. I also think the grades on the Fatimas were fair.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 03-05-2022 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:20 AM
Al Jurgela

Default RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I think CSG is the best choice for RyJ cards (I have some boxers). if you haven't held one they are photographs, paper-thin like Fatimas. In PSA slabs they are rattlers and the gaskets in SGC slabs are often to blame for the cards slipping under, so a holder with an internal sleeve is a very good idea. I had my Susini Speaker slabbed with CSG and I am very pleased with the results. I also think the grades on the Fatimas were fair.
Adam, doesn't this look very odd versus the Boxing issues? To me these seem a bit odd and would love to find out more information about them. But a card from the 1920's, with a photo from 1910, with states from 1915 (that do not match anything that I can find)... it still feels like a mystery to me.
50 Hage's Dairy (Minoso)
All Oscar Charleston Cards
Rare Soccer cards
Rare Boxing cards
Old 03-11-2022, 05:58 AM
Steve Peissig

I would love to know how and where CSG got their information to deem these authentic and also give it a number grade.
I know the amateur baseball ones have been around, I have one, but the ones featuring the professional players are definitely “off”.
The first time these came to light was maybe 7-9 years ago, I don’t recall the exact year but we had a discussion on this board about them that became one of the longest threads of the year and was very entertaining.

Anyways, I still have my doubts on the legitimacy of the professional player cards including this Mendez that keeps me from bidding on them but it looks like it hasn’t scared everyone away, with 4 days to go on the auction and the card sits at $15k, all I can say is WOW.
Old 03-14-2022, 08:18 AM

Closing reminder-

The auction begins closing TUESDAY March 15 at 9:00 pm ET.

https://www.hakes.com/

For auction closing procedures, please use the link below.

https://www.hakes.com/Article/1250/1...ing-Procedures

Tags
cuban cards, cuban league, hall of famer, jackie robinson, jose mendez