NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-09-2021, 06:11 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Given the meteoric rise of the '48 Leaf, I suspect this card will continue to soar:

I think the rest of the Bond Bread set has room to grow as well.

I'm surprised this card hasn't followed suit, but I suspect that is because it continues to be labeled a 1948 card despite being distributed in late 1947:

Jackie aside, I think Mays, Aaron, and Paige will continue to see strong growth. Perhaps Ted Williams as well.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 02-09-2021, 08:47 AM

I agree on the Jackie Bond Bread Portrait. There's no reason for it not to be the most significant Robinson card. It was issued first and widely released and in today's world I find it especially significant as it was marketed to African American communities first.

Happy to add my own low-grade example to my collection. Don't think it'll be affordable much longer:

Last edited by packs; 02-09-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:26 AM
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyBrown View Post
Given the meteoric rise of the '48 Leaf, I suspect this card will continue to soar:

I think the rest of the Bond Bread set has room to grow as well.

I'm surprised this card hasn't followed suit, but I suspect that is because it continues to be labeled a 1948 card despite being distributed in late 1947:

Jackie aside, I think Mays, Aaron, and Paige will continue to see strong growth. Perhaps Ted Williams as well.
I'm a big fan of the Old Gold's. The write ups on the back are great.

"And the first time he ever picked up a golf club, he went around in 99. It should come as no surprise that as a kid, he was even a world-beater at marbles."

Jackie Old Gold catching_front.jpg

Jackie Old Gold catching_back.jpg

Jackie Old Gold front3.jpg

Jackie Old Gold back3.jpg
Old 02-09-2021, 09:45 AM
James M.

I'm seeing a rise in May's Berk Ross issue, which is unfortunate because of course that's the next card I was going to target

Is what it is, unfortunately. It still boggles my mind how dirt cheap Frank Robinson Cards are.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 02-09-2021, 10:58 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansaad View Post
I'm a big fan of the Old Gold's. The write ups on the back are great.

"And the first time he ever picked up a golf club, he went around in 99. It should come as no surprise that as a kid, he was even a world-beater at marbles."
Agreed! I love the backs of these cards.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 02-09-2021, 10:59 AM

1967 topps rod carew

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2021, 11:38 AM
Andrew

Quote:
"And the first time he ever picked up a golf club, he went around in 99."
Meh. Kim Jong Il's first round, he shot a 58 with six aces. One of which was on a par 5.

Last edited by ASF123; 02-09-2021 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Except the super short printed Leaf, the other two Paige cards have always seemed a relative bargain to me, as well as the Exhibit which was pretty tough to find when I was looking.

I would also consider Sadaharu Oh, there might be one of his cards out there for every 500 Mantles or maybe less.
Agree, that exhibit Satchel Paige is quite rare and I just recently got lucky finding one. Been looking for a long time.

It was printed in 1949, same year as the Bowman.

The Robinson exhibit is another insanely underrated one. Printed in 1948.

The are both beautiful cards, although larger, who cares? I love mine and no plans on selling.
Old 02-10-2021, 12:48 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The Robinson Exhibit was printed for several years and is available. It is undervalued, but is nothing like the Exhibit Paige, which was a one-year wonder (1949) though perhaps made it into 1950. The 1962 Pittsburgh Exhibit is another absolutely brutal Paige card to find. He pitched 5 games (25 innings) in the PCL (AAA) in 1961 so I guess his inclusion in the set wasn't quite as weird as it seemed to me when I first heard of it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-10-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The Robinson Exhibit was printed for several years and is available. It is undervalued, but is nothing like the Exhibit Paige, which was a one-year wonder (1949) though perhaps made it into 1950. The 1962 Pittsburgh Exhibit is another absolutely brutal Paige card to find. He pitched 5 games (25 innings) in the PCL (AAA) in 1961 so I guess his inclusion in the set wasn't quite as weird as it seemed to me when I first heard of it.
You are the first I have heard mention this about the Robinson card (though I would expect to hear it from no one else haha). So even despite the all capital 5/8" "MADE IN U.S.A" print markings, the actual printing spanned several years? Hope you don't mind me picking your brain. Thanks!

Last edited by SWinn; 02-10-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:28 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

What you are referring to are print variations from year to year. However, not all years featured completely redone artwork. The company wasn't thinking of obsessive OCD whackos like us when it made its sets each year, so the attention to detail wasn't there. I mean, they got so lazy that the just crudely crossed stuff out sometimes.

The Rizzuto and Doby had "An Exhibit Card" scratched out rather than removed and redone.

The point is that micro-analyzing the made in USA/printed in USA only gets you so far, it is a rule with many exceptions. The only way to definitively determine whether a card had a multiple year run is to see uncut sheets, which is how we know for sure that the Salutations Ted Williams was issued through 1960:

Other evidence is on the machine headers. When you see different cards clustered together it is because some cards had multi-year runs. There are also checklists made as promos in 1950 and they show Jackie Robinson but not Satchel Paige.

Further proof is in the population. The Robinson card is readily found in normal times in decent numbers. The Paige has always been a 'handful available at best' kind of card. I have been watching them for years because I love the card.

Or not...
Old 02-10-2021, 01:54 PM

Quote:
What you are referring to are print variations from year to year. However, not all years featured completely redone artwork. The company wasn't thinking of obsessive OCD whackos like us when it made its sets each year, so the attention to detail wasn't there. I mean, they got so lazy that the just crudely crossed stuff out sometimes.

The Rizzuto and Doby had "An Exhibit Card" scratched out rather than removed and redone.

The point is that micro-analyzing the made in USA/printed in USA only gets you so far, it is a rule with many exceptions. The only way to definitively determine whether a card had a multiple year run is to see uncut sheets, which is how we know for sure that the Salutations Ted Williams was issued through 1960:

Other evidence is on the machine headers. When you see different cards clustered together it is because some cards had multi-year runs. There are also checklists made as promos in 1950 and they show Jackie Robinson but not Satchel Paige.

Further proof is in the population. The Robinson card is readily found in normal times in decent numbers. The Paige has always been a 'handful available at best' kind of card. I have been watching them for years because I love the card.
This is very helpful and agreed when it comes to just finding them in general. The Satchel I recently got, dug like crazy to get and then one day just landed on my lap out of pure "luck". Robinsons, I have a couple and didn't need to sweat in order to get them.

I've seen the scratched out versions plenty of times but did not realize the extent to which the same markings were printed. I have never noticed differences in the Robinson card aside from the density of the sepia tone from images online (which could just be lighting). The ones I have held in my hands, nothing.

And you never know. Maybe they did all these things just to play a massive prank on OCD people 70 years in the future . If so, mission accomplished.

Last edited by SWinn; 02-10-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
Mantle will always be the king of the 52 set. Right behind him is Mays and Robinson (look what happened with this card this year!). With Mantle selling where he has and Robinson taking off where he has, it stands to reason that Mays has some catching up to do.
this is all I was trying to say.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:13 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by investinrookies View Post
this is all I was trying to say.
While I also believe this to be true . Mantle , Mathews , Robinson are all in the 6 series . Mays is not
Old 02-11-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
While I also believe this to be true . Mantle , Mathews , Robinson are all in the 6 series . Mays is not

True however the difference in overall pops is minimal compared to the appeal and status of the mays card in the hobby. It’s been over looked for way to long especially compared to mantle. No reason at all that its not closer in value to the mantle. Mays was a top 5 player and people were sleeping on the obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2021, 08:13 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
I think the 52 Campy has some room to grow. Hi number, HOFer that played in the Negro Leagues, and a beloved Dodger.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:09 PM
J@RR0D

One other one I've been thinking might make some big leaps is the 54 Red Heart Mantle. Now that the 52T is out of reach for the basic collector, this card has such a similar visual appeal (mixed with the 54 Bowman) that I think it'll makes strides in months to come.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:56 PM
Steve

Default The fair sex...

Quote:
...One sure sign of the lunacy: my wife yelled at me yesterday for not spending more money on baseball cards twenty years ago. She said "Why don't you have any of these expensive cards? Didn't you have the chance to buy some?" I said "Sure, but with what? I was sole support for a new house and you and a toddler. What was I supposed to do tell you to skip meals for a week or turn off the heat because i wanted to buy a baseball card?"
Adam - thanks for reminding me of the hilarious side benefits of married life. I used to stash my collection in a huge lockbox in an unheated garage because my better half once tried to give it away to a relative while I was out of town on business. That little gift would have included all of the Topps and Bowman sets from '51 to '55 in ex-mt or better, along with numerous other sets from the time period. Granted, it was back in the '80's, but it took all of my self control to keep from putting her tchotchke collection out on the lawn for sale while she was at work. I imagine if we were still attached, there would be a lot of pressure now to sell so that we could get into the lucrative rare tchotchke market.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:03 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:
Originally Posted by scmavl View Post
I think the 52 Campy has some room to grow. Hi number, HOFer that played in the Negro Leagues, and a beloved Dodger.
I would agree that the set and the player are both great but the image is not for me. I think his 1951 Bowman card is probably his best looking and from a great set. Not to mention it also a year earlier.

I would say 1951 Bowman Mays , Ford , Williams still have room to grow. The 1951 Bowman has eye appeal and a bunch of big name rookies and HOFers.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:21 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

it’s modern basketball but I’m shocked how the 1990 Kentucky shaq (his first card) sells so low. You can pick one up for a $100 or so. I can see that one blowing up.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:27 PM
Aaron

A ‘52 Topps Jackie PSA 3 just closed on eBay for $16k. That card is exploding and I don’t think it’s done yet.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:16 PM
Chris

Quote:
A ‘52 Topps Jackie PSA 3 just closed on eBay for $16k. That card is exploding and I don’t think it’s done yet.
I bought a PSA 2 two years ago for $750. This is insanity.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:17 PM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
I think 51 bowman mantle, his true rookie
a 51 bowman mantle psa 7 sold for 115k
There's an 8 currently at heritage now with BP over 400k with 12 days to go. If that one sells high, it will bring the price up across the board
Old 02-15-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
a 51 bowman mantle psa 7 sold for 115k
There's an 8 currently at heritage now with BP over 400k with 12 days to go. If that one sells high, it will bring the price up across the board
I bought mine for 20% of that 2 years ago. It is like I am done collecting unless I sell something to pay for a purchase.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:40 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

I realize there has been a spike in these off brand cards, specifically the exhibits. However, I'd stick with topps, and to a lesser extent bowman for the next tidal wave. I'm bias towars signed cards and 1952 topps. I've always thought pretty much the break through year of anything would be worth something.

86 fleer return to basketball, 89 upper deck, gpk series 1, mtg alpha deck, 1953 Corvette etc.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-20-2021, 01:31 AM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
I think 51 bowman mantle, his true rookie
2 PSA 6 sold for 100k today
And 2 PSA 8 at heritage and Goldin now bidding at around 500k with BP

Will see how high when it ends
Old 02-20-2021, 09:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Unreal. I think you're right. The key postwar set, high #, great image. A PSA 1 went for $6,650. At this rate, I don't think any grossly intact card will sell for less than mid-four figures. It has surpassed the 1947 Bond Bread portrait RC. A PSA 1.5 sold for $5200 this week.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-20-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:09 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Assuming I could even hope to predict, I wouldn't reveal it here...just sayin'.

-'69 Topps Reggie Jackson
-'77 Topps Dale Murphy
-'79 Topps Ozzie Smith

These three are wishful thinking. None of them have the sort of appeal needed, either from a player perspective or a set perspective.
A PSA 9 Ozzie just went for $7700 today (and not PWCC or Probstein!). I got mine for $2550 less than a month ago, and thought I overpaid. WOW.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:31 PM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

Default The Next "Big Cards"

I can’t wait to see the bagholders after August. The market will come down after the National.

I know I won’t be one.

Last edited by ezez420; 02-20-2021 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:51 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezez420 View Post
I can’t wait to see the bagholders after August. The market will come down after the National.

I know I won’t be one.

I’ll be shocked if the National Happens This Year in Chicago, Strongsville and Chantilly have already been canceled and Philly Postponed.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:20 PM
Ch.r.ls M.u.lr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
I’ll be shocked if the National Happens This Year in Chicago, Strongsville and Chantilly have already been canceled and Philly Postponed.
Chantilly for April?? The CSA website still says they're "monitoring the situation closely", but nothing about canceling.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:25 PM
J@RR0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezez420 View Post

I know I won’t be one.
Why do you think this will be the case? I’m not arguing, I’m genuinely curious. I just feel like the card market lives online now, so I’m wondering how a show could influence that in today’s market. Many collectors I know (myself included) have never been, and I started collecting over 30 years ago. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2021, 09:04 PM

I've been noticing Jim Brown cards are going up.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:10 AM
Ed
Ed DeS.erio

It’s a cycle every year and pandemic won’t be around forever. 2016 was more profound and this has a lot of similarities but their will be a drop 30%+. Whether National happens or not. A ton of graded cards are entering market as well.

Things don’t always go up and there are gaps to fill. But expect big losses from people who will exit hobby. There aren’t always winners.

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:42 AM
H Murphy

Default 55 Topps Koufax

Agree on the Jim Brown, and thinking we`ve already seen it, but the "55" Topps Koufax rookie could be one of the next "it" cards. Should have grabbed a nicely centered mid grade but once again I`m late to the party !
Old 02-24-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUM301 View Post
Agree on the Jim Brown, and thinking we`ve already seen it, but the "55" Topps Koufax rookie could be one of the next "it" cards. Should have grabbed a nicely centered mid grade but once again I`m late to the party !
I think that has already happened. I upgraded to a PSA 7 at the last national for 2200.00. A year and a half later it is selling ~ 10 k.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
I think that has already happened. I upgraded to a PSA 7 at the last national for 2200.00. A year and a half later it is selling ~ 10 k.
Nice! I just looked up the prices on the Koufax rookie. Wow. I bought a PSA 5 probably 15 years ago for $200. Looks like it's appreciated quite a lot since.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:01 AM
Eric Cheng

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Nice! I just looked up the prices on the Koufax rookie. Wow. I bought a PSA 5 probably 15 years ago for $200. Looks like it's appreciated quite a lot since.
It was stall for a long time before this though
Old 02-24-2021, 05:56 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

PSA 5 Brown RCs have been dancing around the $2,000 level for a few months now. i think the mid-grades have probably stalled out.

Or not...
Old 02-25-2021, 04:08 PM
Matthew

One card I like a lot is the 1950 Bowman Jackie Robinson. I honestly think this is a nicer looking card than the Leaf or 49 Bowman, and is one of his best looking cards overall. It's been climbing steadily but still feels under-the-radar compared to the 53 Topps to me considering how aesthetically pleasing it is.

I'm also thinking that the NLB players with MLB cards are going to (continue to) be rising quickly. These are some really nice cards (like the 1950/1951 Doby or the 1952T Monte Irvin or the 1950/1951 Campanella) and I just hope to be able to scoop a bunch up before they get too far out of reach.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:59 PM
Fr@.nk T.ot.@

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
I'm also thinking that the NLB players with MLB cards are going to (continue to) be rising quickly. These are some really nice cards (like the 1950/1951 Doby or the 1952T Monte Irvin or the 1950/1951 Campanella) and I just hope to be able to scoop a bunch up before they get too far out of reach.
The Robinson is a nice card. As for the NLB players with MLB cards, I hope you are right. It would be nice to see them get some attention. Hank Thompson and Don Newcombe seem to be under the radar, as well.

I've been giving this idea of next big cards a lot of thought, not because I invest but because if there is anything on my wish list that might get hot, I'd like to purchase while I can still afford it. A lot of the 50s and early 60s cards I was eying have moved quite a bit already. In terms of more recent stuff, I wouldn't be surprised to see high-grade 69T Reggie Jackson and 72T Dr J cards get out of reach in the near future.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:08 PM
Rob

Default El Buitre de Tecamachaico

Said to have had the highest velocity in the Mexican League of all time. Tigers and Astros fan favorite known as "Senor Smoke", played major relief role in the Tigers 84 run, and the Astros 86 run. 1977 Mexican League MVP. Member of Mexican Baseball Hall of Fame. 62-36 MLB record with 93 saves and a 3.56 era. I believe his 1979 Topps card #444 is his rookie card, at least as far as I know. His Amercian Hofer counterpart, Ozzie Smith's 1979 Topps rookie PSA 10 just sold for 1/4 million USD with all the juice and vig.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seniorsmoke.jpg (78.9 KB, 388 views)
Old 03-03-2021, 08:01 AM

I don't think they'll be big cards in the sense that they'll make you rich, but the 1963 Fleer set seems hugely undervalued. You can pick up the whole set for around $500 and it's full of stars. Koufax, Mays, Clemente, etc. I'm a big fan of the overall design of the set too.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:33 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think they'll be big cards in the sense that they'll make you rich, but the 1963 Fleer set seems hugely undervalued. You can pick up the whole set for around $500 and it's full of stars. Koufax, Mays, Clemente, etc. I'm a big fan of the overall design of the set too.
I wholeheartedly agree... of course maybe that that because it’s one of the few sets I actually finished. Haha
Drew
Old 03-06-2021, 08:54 AM
Ethan

Default 1952 Topps Jackie Robinson

I guess I am leaning toward the 1952 Topps Jackie as soon being the next big card if it isn't already. I have been looking for one in low grade for under 10k for some time and they are tough to find. A 9 may bring $1,000,000 tonight in the Goldin Auction! Wow.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:13 AM
Robert D!ll!ngham

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie View Post
Said to have had the highest velocity in the Mexican League of all time. Tigers and Astros fan favorite known as "Senor Smoke", played major relief role in the Tigers 84 run, and the Astros 86 run. 1977 Mexican League MVP. Member of Mexican Baseball Hall of Fame. 62-36 MLB record with 93 saves and a 3.56 era. I believe his 1979 Topps card #444 is his rookie card, at least as far as I know. His Amercian Hofer counterpart, Ozzie Smith's 1979 Topps rookie PSA 10 just sold for 1/4 million USD with all the juice and vig.

Did you know there have been 3 players in MLB history with the first name Aurelio?

Aurelio Monteagudo, played '63-'73, died at the age of 46 in a car accident.
Aurelio Rodiriguez, played '67-'83, died at the age of 52 in a car accident.
Aurelio Lopez, played '74-'87, died at the age of 44 in a car accident.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:53 AM

It looks like the real Jackie Robinson rookie, 1949 Leaf, is the next hot card. A PSA 7 sold for 79k end of December. Just over 2 months later one at Goldin is sitting at 362k, more than 4.5 times the previous high for the grade.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:09 AM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
It looks like the real Jackie Robinson rookie, 1949 Leaf, is the next hot card. A PSA 7 sold for 79k end of December. Just over 2 months later one at Goldin is sitting at 362k, more than 4.5 times the previous high for the grade.
I would think the Bond Bread cards would be the "rookie", no? I think all but the portrait came out in 47, with the portrait having a 2-3 year run

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 03-06-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I would think the Bond Bread cards would be the "rookie", no? I think all but the portrait came out in 47, with the portrait having a 2-3 year run
No, the hobby has always treated only national issues as rookie cards, not regionals. The Bell Brand isn't considered a rookie for Maury Wills. The highest a Bond Bread has sold for is 32k last December.
Old 03-06-2021, 01:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdill2 View Post
Did you know there have been 3 players in MLB history with the first name Aurelio?

Aurelio Monteagudo, played '63-'73, died at the age of 46 in a car accident.
Aurelio Rodiriguez, played '67-'83, died at the age of 52 in a car accident.
Aurelio Lopez, played '74-'87, died at the age of 44 in a car accident.
I'm not gonna drive with anyone named "Aurelio".

Or not...