NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 02-06-2021, 09:46 AM

Default Most popular hockey cards of all time ?

What player or cards have you seen traded the most over your years of collecting ? I know there are Orr collectors, Gretzky collectors, Lemieux, Richard, Howe, etc.

I haven't checked ebay sales, but I would assume Gretzky and Lemieux have a slight upper hand on Orr, Howe, and the Canadiens great ones.

A more specific question could be which year of Gretzky trades the most ?
Is it his rookie, 2nd year, or doesn't matter ?

I think with Mario it's all about the rookie.

I think with Orr it doesn't matter, and some prefer not to own his rookie as they feel it doesn't have the eye appeal that some of his other cards have.

Your thoughts ?
Old 02-06-2021, 09:49 AM
Jeff

1954 Topps Howe, one of my faves of all time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954 Topps #8 Gordie Howe PSA 8.jpg (79.1 KB, 78 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 02-06-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage View Post
What player or cards have you seen traded the most over your years of collecting ? I know there are Orr collectors, Gretzky collectors, Lemieux, Richard, Howe, etc.

I haven't checked ebay sales, but I would assume Gretzky and Lemieux have a slight upper hand on Orr, Howe, and the Canadiens great ones.

I think with Mario it's all about the rookie.

I think with Orr it doesn't matter, and some prefer not to own his rookie as they feel it doesn't have the eye appeal that some of his other cards have.

Your thoughts ?
It's not that the Orr rookie doesn't have eye appeal, it's because it's a lot of money even in the lowest grade. No matter how much nicer a players other cards look the rookie will always be the most desirable.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
It's not that the Orr rookie doesn't have eye appeal, it's because it's a lot of money even in the lowest grade. No matter how much nicer a players other cards look the rookie will always be the most desirable.
I sold my PSA 8 Orr rookie years ago because besides his Chicago cards, it was my least favorite. 70 opc #3 is right up there also.

My favorites are his 71 opc double trophy along with his 78 Canada Cup special, and 67 Topps.

You can pick up low grade Orr rookies for 1-2k.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
1954 Topps Howe, one of my faves of all time!
Absolutely love this Gordie. It's right up there with his 63 Parkie. If that's yours, it's one beautiful card.
Funny thing about that card is that most players during that time could not perform the skill that Gordie is doing on that card.
He's doing an outside edge one skate stop. Something you'll see today's players do all the time, but many of the players during Gordie's time
could not perfect that.

Last edited by goldenage; 02-06-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 11:41 AM
Jeff

Thanks Golden for the compliment on my Howe, bought that card in that holder almost ten years ago! Here are a few more that have some of my favourite images...

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 02-06-2021, 12:55 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Yes, and there are a few reasons for that. Firstly, majority of the buyers pushing the market today watched Gretzky and Lemieux play, but not Orr, Howe and Richard, etc. Secondly, the Gretzky and Lemieux rookies, for a long time, were pretty cheap. Even today, it's much cheaper to pick-up a low grade Gretzky or Lemieux compared to the others. For example, a PSA 1 Howe rookie is over $3,000 USD now and a PSA 1 Orr rookie is about $2,500 USD! So, it only makes sense that these cards are not going to be as popular because most people don't have that kind of money to spend.

Quote:
Rookie, obviously.

Quote:
It's no different with Bobby Orr. Look at the price difference between his rookie and his second-year card. You can buy his 67' Topps in PSA 7 for about a thousand US, and his rookie in the same grade is about twenty-five times this amount! Everybody wants his rookie, period.