NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-25-2022, 12:32 PM
James M.

Default Small rant on the state of signings nowadays

I want to preface this by saying I fully understand that people have the right to charge whatever they want for their signature, it's a free market economy after all.

For the life of me though, it's mind boggling how expensive getting a players autograph is now. Especially from most of the people in the upper echelon of the sport. Everyone seemingly has exclusive contracts with Tristar or Fanatics and charge an arm and leg for everything. I understand that "$10 in 1985 is X today" but even adjusting for inflation the prices are absurd. Never mind children being able to get something signed by their current favorite player or a legend of the game, I don't know how adults afford this.

There was an article in the LA Times in the 1980's detailing the prices of signings and how they were getting "out of hand," which I linked below:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...-92-story.html

But even then it states that:

"During a recent show at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, patrons paid $20 each for Mantle, Williams and Muhammad Ali autographs, $11 for ex-Dodger pitcher Sandy Koufax and $10 for all-time hit leader Pete Rose"

Those five names alone are absolute legends of the sport, even adjusting for inflation, you're talking about 50 dollars a head for Ali, Mantle and Williams. Nowadays? If you want a Jersey signed by Tom Brady, you have to get it through Tri-Stars exclusive set up and it will run you at least 1K. If you want Joe Montana to sign something with Tom Brady's auto already on it he's charging $1500. I understand it's become a business but this isn't affordable at all. And sure some people will pay these prices but you feel for the masses out there that can't afford to drop a thousand dollars just so they can get something signed by their favorite athlete. Where do we go from here?

Rant over, slightly larger than I planned, but It needs to be said!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.