NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-20-2020, 10:59 AM
Rob

Default USPS bogging down again

It seemed like things got better for awhile after the USPS summer time drama, but in the last week or so they are starting to Fubar again. I've got 5 packages either coming or going and all have the dreaded "your item while arrive later than expected" tag and tracking has stopped, in some cases a week ago.

Hard to pinpoint a specific problem area as I have packages being sent from both coasts and I sent one from Humble, TX to Conroe, TX...a whopping 30 miles and they've all slipped into the void.

Anyone else noticing this?
Old 10-20-2020, 11:11 AM
Ben North

Luckily no, I have sent and receive easily 15 packages in the last 2 weeks with zero problems. Used USPS for all of them, sent with PWE, first class package, and flat rate boxes.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:18 AM
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
It seemed like things got better for awhile after the USPS summer time drama, but in the last week or so they are starting to Fubar again. I've got 5 packages either coming or going and all have the dreaded "your item while arrive later than expected" tag and tracking has stopped, in some cases a week ago.

Hard to pinpoint a specific problem area as I have packages being sent from both coasts and I sent one from Humble, TX to Conroe, TX...a whopping 30 miles and they've all slipped into the void.

Anyone else noticing this?
I’m in the same boat dealing with receiving packs and in sending I now just do priority instead of first class for a little better turn around time.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:48 AM
John Hanssen

It may have to do with the HUGH amount of junk mail during the election season. My old route can go from 20-25 feet of mail A day to over 40 feet of mail during a presidential election year.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:49 AM
Joe Jones

I ship at least 50 parcels a day and have seen a lot of delays with first class mail since the end of August. Quite a few show sitting in one location for up to two weeks or more before moving on. It is a very frustrating time to be shipping right now. The good news is that I have only seen one lost package this year and priority mail seems to be moving fine. The long extended delays have been overwhelming at times though.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:55 PM
John D.

It is busier but I am not having any issues at all. I shipped out about 15 in the last week and only one had a one day delay. I had my last two arrive a day earlier. My wife, who works for USPS has been working lots of OT (12 1/2 hours on Sunday night) of course I am not complaining, that's card$$
Old 10-21-2020, 04:50 PM
Rob

24+ hours later. No deliveries. No updates. Really weird because everything was flowing nicely for me over the last 4-6 weeks. Now it's come to a record screeching stop.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:24 PM
Rob

Checking for status updates right now is like watching paint dry. Another day, another no updates.

Really puzzling as I bought an item on Sunday. Coming from NY and it's "out for delivery" today. How did this one zip thru? It's like every USPS facility is doing their own thing.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:26 PM

I have two. One was stuck in Penns. for 4 months but it came yesterday and another stuck in Hazelwood, Mo. since early Sept.
Old 10-22-2020, 02:37 PM
Ben
ben tay/lor

No USPS issues in Illinois but UPS air almost cost me my fancy bananas this month
Old 10-25-2020, 08:48 PM
Ben North

I got a good one to add. I sent a package to a fellow member in California, I am in South Dakota. I just checked if it will be there tomorrow like scheduled. It decided to take a vacation and is in Honolulu Hawaii at the moment.LOL
Old 10-26-2020, 04:36 PM
Rob

Fun and games with your US Postal Service:

PS...At least it's moving again. But 11 days to move 22 miles in a straight line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Phoenix.jpg (16.4 KB, 856 views)
File Type: jpg Tracking.jpg (11.1 KB, 868 views)
Old 10-27-2020, 06:55 AM
J0hn Collin$

I would agree and would also guess the huge amount of election mail is to blame. I had a single vintage card take two solid weeks to come from CA to NC recently - at least twice as long as that's ever taken before. Some from the west coast actually used to arrive faster because they had obviously gotten put on a plane. Not sure if those days are over...the USPS has some big challenges (as always...) for sure.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:09 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Gee I am shocked

That’s what happens when ass kissing is the number one qualification for a promotion.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:18 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
That’s what happens when ass kissing is the number one qualification for a promotion.
What. Did you post an answer to a completely different question in the wrong thread?
Old 11-20-2020, 04:08 PM
Ben North

Figured I would bump this old thread. I have 2 with the dreaded "in transit, arriving late" updates.

One is a group of 10 Randy Johnson Marlboro error cards. I sent these in a small flat rate box. A couple days later the same Net54 member buys a few more cards. I sent them in a bubble mailer and those arrived on time.

Then the one that is coming to me. I had Louisville Slugger make me a awesome custom bat. It was sent out 14 days ago.

Venting over, have a great evening everyone.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:21 PM
Jason B.

Seeing this as well, for sure. Significant delays as well as unusual lack of updates during tracking recently. 3 of my 5 USPS First Class packages in the last 7 days were delayed.

Had to start a case on one package that shipped 11/03 from CA, no updates for 11 days. I opened the case and it then popped up in Detroit before stalling again. Started a second case on the same package after no movement for 4 further days, which then got it to Columbus, OH. Delivered today.

FWIW, one CSR said USPS has reduced access to transport recently. Also wonder if they're down staff from positive tests/contact quarantines as well.

Weird stuff. Very much not business as usual.
|
WTB: '33 Sport Kings Jim Thorpe/Babe Ruth/Babe Didrickson (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 11-20-2020, 06:34 PM
Ethan

Default Usps

I have yet to not have cards delivered or have cards arrive. I often overpay to have packages arrive safely and secure. Always pay to insure whatever I'm sending just to be sure. So thankful for all of the men and women who allow us to makes trades and sales through good times and bad.

Last edited by LincolnVT; 11-20-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:18 PM

I've seen a slowdown the last two weeks for sure, although oddly only on some items. About half of the things I've ordered this month has arrived very quickly...within 3-4 days of order. The other half have been bouncing around, disappearing from tracking, etc. for 7-10 days and still aren't here yet.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:33 AM
C.o.e

wanted to bump this up and just curious if anyone else has the same shipping issue as above?
I have been waiting on 3 cards without any update for over 2 weeks now.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:35 AM
J0hn Collin$

Yeah it's definitely bogging down again in NC. I've had several things now 3-4 days overdue because they just sit at the hub 30 miles down the road for a long time before anyone gets to them. Frustrating, but as long as the cards eventually show up I'm not truly complaining.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseball View Post
wanted to bump this up and just curious if anyone else has the same shipping issue as above?
I have been waiting on 3 cards without any update for over 2 weeks now.
Yup. Package off to SGC sent out 2 weeks ago priority, still "YoU PaCkAgE iS iN TrAnSiT"
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:09 AM
Anson

Maybe they should contract with PSA. That way they can just assign QA2, QA3, Prepare for shipping, Almost Shipping, You almost had it again, Here it comes, etc...on a little progress bar for you to check. If your package is deemed to be worth more than the stated insurance, they'll hold it hostage and call you to get more fees before shipping.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:52 AM
Andrew

My local post office here in Chicago has pretty much entirely ceased to function for the entire zip code: https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/12...gressman-says/.

We haven't received any mail whatsoever in more than a week, and the post office is literally 2.5 blocks from our house. I see the trucks drive down our street multiple times a day, and yet, nothing. I have about 10 card packages that are being held...somewhere, hopefully? I called our congresswoman's office yesterday and was told they send the postmaster at least 50 new complaints a day from our neighborhood. I did get a form email acknowledgement from the postmaster, so, yay? Certainly haven't seen any improvement due to the alleged new hires. Who knows when or if I will see my cards? At least I'm not waiting on medication, I suppose.

I really wish eBay sellers would give you the option to select UPS or FedEx.

Last edited by ASF123; 12-04-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:08 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I signed up for informed delivery, I get an email with scan of items scheduled to be delivered that day, 3 out of 6 days, something is missing. Usually, the missing stuff comes in a day or so but a few things have never shown up at all. Very frustrating.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:19 AM
Robert Klevens

It's not only the USPS. UPS and FedEx are experiencing delays due to increased shipping from online orders and workers that are out because of Covid-19.

United Parcel Service Inc. imposed shipping restrictions on some large retailers such as Gap Inc. and Nike Inc. this week, an early sign that the pandemic-fueled online shopping season is stretching delivery networks to their limits.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:29 PM
J0hn Collin$

I'm increasingly just beginning to think the USPS is absurdly inefficient. A delay of a day or two around the holidays is to be expected, but I'm seeing horror stories and 2020 being what it is, it's not the first time this year. It would be nice if just one aspect of our lives could work normally again. I know, I know - major first world problems. And yes I'm thankful I'm not lying in a hospital bed on a ventilator right now.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-07-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:30 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Yeah it's definitely bogging down again in NC. I've had several things now 3-4 days overdue because they just sit at the hub 30 miles down the road for a long time before anyone gets to them. Frustrating, but as long as the cards eventually show up I'm not truly complaining.
Definitely finding this as well. I just had a package arrive 6.5 weeks after it was shipped from Pennsylvania. Mostly just happy it arrived!
Old 12-04-2020, 12:45 PM
Andrew

Funnily enough, about half an hour after I made that post, I did get a single package delivered, with an E90 Chief Bender and a beautiful 67T Mays, so that made me happy. No news as to the other several packages that are purportedly "out for delivery."
Old 12-04-2020, 04:00 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

On Monday, I sent a package to SGC via registered USPS. It was supposed to arrive today, but does not look like it will. Based on what i am reading, I'll be happy if it arrives at all.
Deals Done: GrayGhost, Count76, mybuddyinc, banksfan14, boysblue, Sverteramo, rocuan, rootsearcher60, GoldenAge50s, pt7464, trdcrdkid, T206.org, bnorth, frankrizzo29, David Atkatz, Johnny630, cardsamillion, SPMIDD, esehombre, bbsports, babraham, RhodeyRhode, Nate Adams, OhioCardCollector, ejstel, Golfcollector, Luke, 53toppscollector, benge610, Lunker21, VintageCardCo, jmanners51, T206CollectorVince, hockeyhockey

Collecting: T206

Monster #236
Old 12-04-2020, 05:27 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.Ÿ.Σ

Quote:
I'm increasingly just beginning to think the USPS is absurdly inefficient.
This, and I have the perfect real-life example.

I recently sent Bobby W., who lives in Raleigh, NC, some cards for his piggyback PSA submission. The cards arrived a full week after the anticipated delivery date. I checked the tracking history to discovery why.

The cards initially arrived in Raleigh right on time. Great, no problem, right? Wrong. So, despite the cards sitting in the Raleigh distribution center, which is located in the final destination city, the USPS, for some reason, then ships them to the Greensboro, NC distribution center which is over an hour and 15 minutes away.

The cards then sit in Greensboro a few days before the USPS ships them back to Raleigh and delivers them. Why?
Old 12-05-2020, 08:57 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
I'm increasingly just beginning to think the USPS is absurdly inefficient. A delay of a day or two around the holidays is to be expected, but increasingly I'm seeing horror stories and 2020 being what it is, it's not the first time this year. It would be nice if just one aspect of our lives could work normally again. I know, I know - major first world problems. And yes I'm thankful I'm not lying in a hospital bed on a ventilator right now.
It is really quite shocking that a private sector logistics executive like Louis DeJoy hasn't fixed the Post Office yet.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:20 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
This, and I have the perfect real-life example.

I recently sent Bobby W., who lives in Raleigh, NC, some cards for his piggyback PSA submission. The cards arrived a full week after the anticipated delivery date. I checked the tracking history to discovery why.

The cards initially arrived in Raleigh right on time. Great, no problem, right? Wrong. So, despite the cards sitting in the Raleigh distribution center, which is located in the final destination city, the USPS, for some reason, then ships them to the Greensboro, NC distribution center which is over an hour and 15 minutes away.

The cards then sit in Greensboro a few days before the USPS ships them back to Raleigh and delivers them. Why?
Only a hour and 15 minutes away is pretty close for USPS lately. Here are a few recent ones for me.

I live in South Dakota.

Sent frog skins to a fellow member in California it went by way of Hawaii.

Sent cards to a member in New Jersey by way of Alabama.

Bat sent from Kentucky to me. Takes a month with only real updates being received by PO in Kentucky and arriving here.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:23 AM
James M.

Thought I was going to have a repeat of what happened early this year. I purchased a Sandy Koufax RC, Wednesday before Thanksgiving, It was marked as Delivered on December 2nd. I received no mail that day, I thought it might have been brought to the wrong house, and I was going to be out of another card again. Thankfully it was brought with the mail the following day.

Safe to say, I'm holding off on any purchases until after the holidays. Can't chance these things with the USPS so bogged down, during the Christmas season.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:33 AM
Al

There's no question they're slow - we had auction catalogs, which get sent via Priority Mail (2-3 day delivery) on the 19th and 20th, that took two weeks. Now, with outgoing packages, same deal - shipped on Tuesday, dropped off directly at the post office myself, all Priority Mail, still showing up as not having even left town.

In their defense, they've been crushed all year with packages, and like every business with a lot of employees, have obviously had more people out sick than usual. I don't know how you plan for that, so I just try and be patient and understand it (and give my letter carrier a bottle of hand sanitizer once in a while).

-Al
Old 12-05-2020, 12:15 PM
Randy

Sent a priority package on 11-28
Arrived at Distribution center on 11-29

Address I am shipping to is 120 miles away, same state (Michigan)

Package is still at the distribution center as of today, 12-5
Called the postmaster on 12-3, and that was a waste of time.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:22 PM
Jay Shelton

Been ordering a few things here and there for Christmas from amazon.com and via eBay. The amazon orders are all arriving on the given arrival date; the USPS packages via eBay are hit and miss. I'm seeing mostly "miss" on all packages originating in, or going through Illinois for some reason... Ordered a lot of cards on eBay and paid for on Nov. 24. They were marked shipped on Nov. 25, and as of Nov. 29 (last updated date) they still have not left Illinois...
Old 12-05-2020, 12:58 PM
Andy Wa.lko

I had a package sit in DC for 2 weeks, then go to Greensboro NC (it shouldn't have) before coming back to DC and finally being delivered. I also have another incoming package that's been sitting at a local PO since November 25. Things are definitely screwy right now. It seems like things get where they need to go eventually though.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:28 PM
Patrick

I guess I have been lucky but I haven't had any real issues with the post office. Everything takes 3-4 days to get to me pretty consistently. I'm very surprised seeing as how my cities post office has a reputation for being slow.

Now that I've said something obviously it's gonna get bad haha but hopefully not.

Last edited by Natswin2019; 12-05-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:35 PM

I live in Greensboro. I have mutliple packages sitting at the distribution center, supposedly, for multiple days. I am literally 15 minutes from the center. Frustrating.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
There's no question they're slow - we had auction catalogs, which get sent via Priority Mail (2-3 day delivery) on the 19th and 20th, that took two weeks. Now, with outgoing packages, same deal - shipped on Tuesday, dropped off directly at the post office myself, all Priority Mail, still showing up as not having even left town.

In their defense, they've been crushed all year with packages, and like every business with a lot of employees, have obviously had more people out sick than usual. I don't know how you plan for that, so I just try and be patient and understand it (and give my letter carrier a bottle of hand sanitizer once in a while).

-Al
I received your catalog a day after the auction closed!
Old 12-05-2020, 02:24 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206BrownHindu View Post
I received your catalog a day after the auction closed!
Did you see how amazing Al's online catalog was? I don't think I've ever seen a more interactive AH site laid out with so much creativity.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Did you see how amazing Al's online catalog was? I don't think I've ever seen a more interactive AH site laid out with so much creativity.
Yep, it's always top notch.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:47 PM

I don’t have the weeks long horror stories others have had, but will say that EVERY package I’ve ordered from eBay has run 3-4 days late the last 3-4 weeks.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:39 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
What was amazing about it?
Old 12-05-2020, 05:26 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerMike View Post
I live in Greensboro. I have mutliple packages sitting at the distribution center, supposedly, for multiple days. I am literally 15 minutes from the center. Frustrating.
I hear you; I'm in Winston-Salem. All my stuff has to come through Greensboro. Everything is backed up. All my recent stuff coming to me is delayed, as is all stuff I sell and ship that goes through the same city. The distribution center is a joke, the postal employees in my local PO's can't even call them. They've flat out lost 2 packages - probably about $300 worth of cards in the last year - that were coming to me. One ebay covered me on, but the other was a trade with Mantle and Maris cards in the package that for all I know are still sitting on the floor under a conveyor belt in Greensboro somewhere. And they absolutely could not care less.

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-07-2020 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:57 PM
Andrew

This worries me. I’m recently back in the hobby after a long hiatus, and I’m of course very enthusiastic and haven’t had anywhere near the discipline to forego buying cards until USPS gets its shit together. Am I taking a major risk of lots of packages just disappearing, never to be found?
Old 12-05-2020, 07:20 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
What was amazing about it?
The graphics, the page flip, choice of group lots vs single lots, good AH software, the internet only teaser. I produced music festivals for 25 years so I tend o appreciate the small things in a customer experience, plus I know how much it costs to produce a color catalog like that and it's expensive. There's really no need for paper catalogs anymore, you can literally loop a card online with good AH software. I'd rather see a smaller buyer/seller premium instead of paying for four color catalogs plus shipping.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:02 AM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
The graphics, the page flip, choice of group lots vs single lots, good AH software, the internet only teaser. I produced music festivals for 25 years so I tend o appreciate the small things in a customer experience, plus I know how much it costs to produce a color catalog like that and it's expensive. There's really no need for paper catalogs anymore, you can literally loop a card online with good AH software. I'd rather see a smaller buyer/seller premium instead of paying for four color catalogs plus shipping.
Lol. OK.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:20 AM
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerMike View Post
I hear you. I live in Cary, and have been expecting a couple of packages that are stuck in the Greensboro Distribution Center. They were supposed to arrive right after Thanksgiving.