NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Default 1911 Cleveland Naps Player ID Help

Posted By: Matt

I was doing some research on the benefit game held for Addie Joss's family in 1911 and came across conflicting accounts of one of the players pictured in the famous panoramic image.

Here is the player in question:

In a lithograph of unknown period sold by Heritage, (Linked here) the player is identified as Tim Hendryx.

In a posting of the photo on a message board (Linked here) that player is identified as Bill Lindsay.

Both players were with the Naps in 1911 and both played quite sparingly. Can anyone help with figuring out who the mystery man is?

Old 09-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn

I will have to say... No match on the Hendryx.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Matt:

Maybe you can find a match using this............

Old 09-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Phil,

What a great piece! Do you have more of these from different teams (excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject). What excites me are the facsimile autographs! Unlike the traced-over versions found on T205s, these are actually great examples. I could use high-res scans of anything the folks on this board might have in this regard. Very interesting!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Shawn,

Where did you locate that photo? The chap on the far left, James Donaldson Brown, has been a pet research project between a friend and myself for many years. Thanks for sharing! I had never seen this image before.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon Canfield

Jodi - I'm curious what you make of Jackson's signature on the piece Phil posted? While I don't doubt that the signatures that are on the cabinet are copies of true signatures and not traced over, Jackson's signature looks to be traced to me since he could not have signed that fluently.

Your thoughts?

======================================
For the premier online souce of information on baseball-related cigarette packs, visit http://www.baseballandtobacco.com

Old 09-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Jon,

Good point--I only glanced at a few of facsimiles. Yes, the Jackson does appear a little smooth, doesn't it? Of course, I would really like to see high-res images of such pieces (better yet, to see them in-person) before having a conclusive answer for you. Without going back to look again, certain players' facsimiles look spot-on. Yes, perhaps a kindly photo editor decided to give Jackson's signature (and, perhaps, public perception) a more "Shoefull" appearance by softening the rougher elements of the signature!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Jodi,

I got the image off of the Library of Congress website... I would post a link, but I do not know how to attach the reduced version of such.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator

I would think that since Bill Lindsay attended both Harvard and Tulane that a picture could be obtained from these connections? Yearbook? etc.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Phil - thanks for posting, but my screen resolution/eyesight isn't good enough to find either of those players on your composite - since you have it in hand, can you find either of them?

Is Hendryx the 3rd from the top along the right edge?

Old 09-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Jodi:

No, this is the only one I have.

Matt:

I don't have the card anymore, I just have an old scan of it saved in my computer.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Thanks to everyone for your help (both private and public) I believe the mystery is solved!

My original thoughts were that the Lithograph might be more accurate since it even had the name of the bat boy, which I imagine is a somewhat obscure piece of information and that gave it mroe credibility in my mind. However, Based on this web page:

1911 Naps Calendar

It seems that Tim Hendryx made his debut for the Indians on September 4th. Since the Joss game was played on July 24th (about a month after Lindsay made his own debut) it would seem that it must be Lindsay in the photo and not Hendryx and that the Lithograph is wrong. Add in the corroborating visual evidence presented above and I believe we've solved it.

Bill Lindsay played only that 1 season of Major League ball and appeared in only 19 games in his career, but was lucky enough to partake in the legendary Joss Benefit Game.

thanks!