NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-01-2011, 09:02 AM
J@RR0D

Default Your Collecting Focus

When I got back into cards a couple of years ago, my main (basically nonexistent) collecting focus was "vintage". Then I saw "Oh, they have game used cards now? Cool!" So my focus was then "vintage & modern" which means EVERYTHING. That is not recommended financially, nor is it particularly fulfilling.

I did manage to complete one set (raw '56 Topps) but when you buy 95% of the cards off ebay, there is really no challenge to it. So I decided to narrow my collecting focus. I'm down to:

-1951 Bowman in low grade without using ebay - Gorgeous set, I already have the Mantle and have found a few lots of raw cards. I'm about 60% done.

-Harmon Killebrew - I just respect him so much, as a player and a person. While I never met him (we did exchange emails once), he is my favorite player and I'll buy just about anything with his name on it. My collection is mostly mid-grade.

-Type I B&W vintage photos - I started with a couple of Branch Rickey photos awhile back. Then I realized "Wow, these are easier to display than cards!" so I've continued buying. Some of my favorites are recent pickups from Phil (Net54 user bcbgcbrcb who is a super nice guy) including a Kennesaw Landis and a pre-rookie Mickey Mantle. I also just bought my first Charles Conlon original, which I can see leading to an expensive habit.

Other things I'm thinking of working on are '68 Topps (as I have over half of the set, all raw), '69 Topps (maybe 1/3 of the set but I love the look of them), Stan Musial (another gentleman of baseball), and Smoky Joe Wood (underrated and a great player).

What are your collecting focuses? Please be in depth, I'm very curious to see exactly how focused some of our forum members are.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Al Richter

Default Collecting Parameter

Anything baseball listed by SCD for Topps from 1948 to 1994 and then only base and Heritage sets there after + anything baseball put out by Fleer from 1923 and 1959 to 1981, with just base sets thereafter through 2007 + all the Conlon sets put out by by The Sporting News, World Wide or Mega Cards
Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Default Main Focus

I use to collect everything...cards, comics coins stamps toys guitars amplifiers, Now My card interests are a contemporary or playing year card of every Hall of famer. t206's (I have 518) 1933 Goudeys (complete but for the lajoie) 1952 topps (master set) I have a few other sets that mean alot to me Delongs, tip top bread, glendale hot dogs and tons of old cabinet photos of baseball.Also shrimp gumbo, shrimp curry , shrimp cocktail, shrimp scampi...aand thats about it. dave

Faith is believing in something you know isn't true.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:11 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

My main focus for post-war is building raw, mid-grade (EX) '52 thru '56 Topps baseball sets.

1952 - I'm about 50 cards into the set with a focusing on centering. All cards are no worse than 55/45 all the way around with a lot being 50/50 all the way around. It won't be the highest grade set ever built, but I guarantee it will be the best centered set ever built.

1953 - Also about 50 cards into the set. Not as concerned with centering.

1954 - Only missing the Hank Aaron rookie. All the stars are graded SGC 60-80.

1955 - A little over half way finished.

1956 - Also a little over half way finished.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Rob Miller

Post-War focus:

-HOF Rookie Cards
-Upgrading my 1948 Bowman set
-1939-1946 Salutation Exhibits
-High grade 1964 Topps Giants set
-High grade 1990 Leaf set
-Andy Van Slyke cards and memorabilia
-All Topps sets (raw) from 1970-1990

You can see my graded Post-War collection here: http://imageevent.com/vanslykefan/po...tyeqo2.camel_s

Thanks - Rob
Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM
Steve Birmingham

I usually describe my collecting as totally unfocused. I typically buy stuff I can aford that catches my interest.

The last few years I've tried to keep to a few projects. I haven't had much luck. "Current" projects - all subject to change, and some getting more work than others.

75 and 76 topps including minis.
Adding a few nice T206s when I can.
Cataloging variations in 1981 topps so I can offload the roughly 5-10 thousand I have left. (harder than it sounds- I'm going into extreme detail on them)
writing up the printing errors collection as a guide.
Plus a few new sets.

If something interesting comes along that could all change.

Steve B

Steve B
Old 09-01-2011, 02:06 PM

I am currently pretty focused on St Louis Cardinals cards.

I'm putting together the top 15 at each position since 1900.

I also collect Lou Brock items, about anything unique to his playing days
(1962 to 1980)

I've pretty much not bought much more than that in the last year.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Chris Wassmuth

I love threads like these.

I have 2 main focuses:

1.) Anything and everything Roy Campanella. I started with the PSA basic set and have since moved on to the master set. I am also adding photos, books, magazines, modern cards (including game-used cards), and anything else I can find of his. I haven't been working on this long and my budget is pretty small so I have A LONG way to go on it. But eventually I'd like to have one of, if not THE, most comprehensive Campanella collection in the world.
2.) I've also started to collect all St. Louis Cardinals baseball cards. They've always been my favorite team but I've just now started to really concentrate on building team sets for everything I can find. My goal (which will NEVER happen I'm sure) is to find get every Cardinal card from 1900-1980 and then all the base Donruss, Fleer, Score, Topps, and Upper Deck after that. At the moment I'm concentrating on the T-cards and the '50s but eventually will branch out.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:04 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

1)HOF set. Career contemporary(or close) with the ultimate goal of rookies.. I'm at about 68% complete. Rookie wise, I'm at 38%.

2)1951-current Topps and traded/update run.. Working my way backwards. Currently I'm in the mid-70's sets. I'm at about 46% total.

3)Harper's Weekly baseball woodcuts. Although, I do apply some of these towards my HOF collection.

4)HOF/Perfect Game/all-time favorite Indians autographs...SS balls preferred.

And of course the miscellaneous collection..You know the cards that don't really fit any focus, but you just want 'em anyways..

Outside of baseball.

1)1938 Churchman Boxing
2)1948 Topps Magic Boxing/Wrestling.
3)Football HOF rookies..(I don't work much on this one)
Old 09-01-2011, 03:16 PM
KWT

1)The T206 set

2)N28 & N29 Allen&Ginter Baseball

3)HOF Rookie Cards

4)Select Basketball,Football,and Hockey HOF Rookie Cards
Old 09-01-2011, 06:46 PM

My main focus has been type card collecting (both pre and post war). I don't try to collect every issue...that would be too much so I focus on the ones I like...and on certain cards I try to get the key ones and I also like unissued/proof cards.

For Post War some examples:
1954 Dan Dee Potato Chips Walker Cooper SP
1959 Bazooka Bob Cerv SP
1951 Bowman Willie Mays
1970 Topps Super Boog Powell SP
1948-49 Leaf Matt Batts SP
1967 Topps Roger Maris - Yankees
1974 Laughlin Black Stars Josh Gibson - my most recent pick up!
1977 Topps Unissued Al Fitzmorris Variation (from uncut sheet)

I also collect Exhibit Cards with emphasis on HOF players for both Pre and Post War including variations.

And now addicted to Exhibit Non sports cards too. heh.

Ricky Y
Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Scott

Baseball-wise, I collect low end T206's. I am currently at 98% of the set.

I also collect Nate Colbert (Padres) stuff.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Be.n C0z1n

Thumbs up Collecting Focus

Collecting 59 bazooka and only 59 bazooka cards. Looking for the Perry & Ferguson in Football. Looking for about half the short prints in baseball. Also collect badly miscut vintage cards ( pre 1970 stars / only major stars from the 70's.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Wink

Working on several items at once (who isnt?). I'm very condition sensitive with anything post war so it sometimes takes quite a while to complete sets.

I started collecting in the 70's as a child so I've completed all the sets from the 70's including '75 mini in Nm/Mt with the exception of 1972 which I'm about 70% complete, loosing a bit of focus on this due to size and other interests such as:

1956 Topps set Ex/Mt or better, well centered 92% complete

1955 Bowman 10% done

Just completed the high #'s 1960 All star cards & plan on having them framed to display in my basement bar. When done, I'll post the results.

Just starting 71 topps greatest moments and 1964 Topps standups.

Working on an autographed ball from each HOF pitcher to throw a no hitter since 1900 - most likely wont get them all but fun anyway.

Also just started T206 & 1933 Goudey, working on the HOF'ers from these sets.

It's just a matter of time before I find another area of focus! I hope my wife does not read this.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Great thread.
Up until 3 months ago my lifetime focus has been on 50's-80's Topps cards.
I have now started collecting pre-war concentrating on t205, t206, 38 Goudey and Diamond Stars!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Mikeknapp

I focus at work with all other things I am terminally scattered. I collect MLB HOF inductee items to include photos, autographs, display pieces, game used equipment, figurines, cards, and baseball magazines. Additionally I purchase stadium items such as chairs etc. My flexibilty allows me to continue collecting when money becomes an issue which unfortunately often is the case.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Doug C.

Focus...focus...umm what were we talking about again? I've never really strayed from 1952-69 Topps other than a brief T206 HOFer deviation a few years ago. It's probably blasphemy around here, but I just couldn't really get into prewar cards. I don't know if it's because the majority of the players were all dead before I was born or just because I have an attachment to Topps cards because my first baseball card related memory was buying packs of 1985 Topps as a kid from the town drug store. I think the players of the '50s and '60s are just easier to relate to for me since I was able to see a few like Nolan Ryan and Pete Rose actually play towards the end of their careers. I also enjoy being able to watch interviews on ESPN where they can get players like Hank Aaron, Frank Robinson, Willie Mays, etc to give their opinions on what's currently going on in the game.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM

Default Collecting Focus

I am mainly a set collector, along with Mantle cards. I started collecting with a focus on collecting all Topps sets from 1952 onward. However, I have now changed my focus to pre-war as well as post war.

I am still working on finishing '52 Topps, several T card sets as well as 2 N card sets. And I am still learning every day.

ZWheat
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM
John Michael

Angry

I am first and foremost a set builder of mid-grade raw cards (proof that I am not at all focused on any investment angles.) My focus is primarily post-war, 1946-1981 EVERYTHING-- Topps (always no. 1 in my heart) regular and insert sets, Bowman, Kelloggs, Bazooka, Hostess, Berk Ross, ect.

Cards in my sets must all be raw, so all graded cards destined for sets are freed from their holders. An additional focus/interest is in 100% graded cards of star players of all eras. I have many post-war star players in mid-grade raw form included in a set as well as a high-grade, graded version.

As for pre-war cards, their high costs have turned me into the king of all reprint set collectors. I do it the same way, collect any and all of the reprint sets I can get my hands on and add the ocassional individual real thing, graded.

One real, pre-war set is tempting me a great deal....the Hassan Triple Folders, my favorite from that era. Why couldn't someone, during the reprint craze of the '80's, have make this set! That inch could have been scratched, as Fritch Cards would say "for a fraction of the original cost."

Last edited by theseeker; 09-02-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:29 AM

It sounds cliche' and generic...but I buy cards cards that I like. Old, new, Gem, ragged out. My cards span the entire grading scale! LOL! That can mean anything from a card that has a really cool action shot, or maybe just a great picture of a particular player or players. It can be a HOF superstar or a common that I have never heard of. Sports or otherwise(although 99% of my cards are something sports related). I don't recommend this to anyone else, but it usually works for me!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Keith

I was one of the lucky ones whose mom didn't throw their cards away. I first
completed the 1956 baseball set that was the 1st set I remember collecting as a kid.I then completed Topps sets from 1957 to 1962. After completing the Topps run from the years I collected as a youth I completed the 1961 and 1962 Post Cereal, 60 Leaf,59 Fleer Williams,61 Fleer Greats and 1963 Fleer.

For some reason I also completed the 1954 and 1955 Bowman football sets which are the only football cards I own.

In the last few years I have completed the 1948 Bowman baseball and Red Man sets from 1953 to 1955. Currently I'm working on the 1952 Topps (67%) and the 1952 Red Man (83%)

Except for the 1952 Topps which is VGX to EX-MT all the other sets are EX-MT to NRMT.

Collecting keeps the Kid in me young.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I seem to have focus and then poof! On the postwar side I have been very consistent with Brooklyn Dodgers team sets from Topps and Bowman and collecting Topps type cards but I am out of steam on the non Mainstream Brooklyn team sets. On the pre-war side I just let the Monster beat me and may give up my attempt and an E card type run (not sure about that last one).
Old 09-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Scott H.

Default Milwaukee Braves!

Excellent thread. Very eclectic group here!

My focus is the Milwaukee Braves, especially the regional sets such as Johnston Cookies, Spic and Span and Lake to Lake Dairy. My 2 grails would be a 1960 Lake to Lake Aaron and a 1955 Aaron Johnston cookies.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:06 AM
Eric N.

Great Thread!

i too am guilty of being unfocused lol

Currently My Focus consists of:

- New York Mets Topps Base Cards 1962 - today (Complete through 2011 S1)
(one copy of every base Topps pack-issued (plus Traded) card that features a member of The New York Mets, meaning: League Leaders, All-Star Cards, Multi-team RC, etc.))

- PSA Post War HOF Rookie Cards
- PSA George Brett
- PSA Mike Schmidt

PSA Graded Post-War HOF Rookie Card Collection - 100%!

Old 09-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Bi11..R0berts

As many of us are joking about our lack of focus, it just remindes me how much variety this hobby offers. There is always something to "work" on as our interests waiver or change. Just pick up a Standard Catalog of baseball cards and flip throught it, an incredible variety of cards to choose from!

Just reading this post amazes me at the different approaches and interests within our hobby. The best thing about it is it does help keep me young and forget about work and my life responsibilities for a short period of time everyday.

Happy collecting!

Last edited by brob28; 09-03-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Shaun Fyffe

I've managed to stay pretty focused on the following:

Jackie Robinson Bond Bread cards
Jackie Robinson cards (from his playing days)

I will admit I'm very tempted to start back on HOF RCs.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 09-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Shane

I have three main areas of focus, but one clearly rises to the top.

The two areas that take a back seat are base Topps Cardinals signed cards and Topps base complete sets.

My signed Cardinals album has over 800 signed cards in it from 1952 to present.

My other "back seat" focus is complete Topps sets. I have them all the way back to 1973, including Traded sets.

My main focus, though, is my Cardinals team set collection. I started in 2002 with just wanting to get the base Topps cards from 1952 to present. Once I had that completed in about a year, I branched out and it hasn't stopped. Since I have branched out to Topps test issues and misc Topps inserts, my collection has almost come to a hault becuase the ones I need are very rare.

My team sets consists of 20 albums. I have an album for base Topps for each decade, plus albums for different brands and such.

Here is what I have -

1951 to 2011 Topps (base and traded/update)

1948 to 1955 Bowman

1989 to 2010 Bowman

1960, 1961, 1963 Fleer

1981 to 2007 Fleer with Updates

1981 to 2005 Donruss with The Rookies

1988 to 1998 Score

1989 to 2009 Upper Deck

2001 to 2011 Topps Heritage

1996 to 2010 Topps Chrome and Refractors (I only need a few 2001 refractors commons for completion. Those are hard to find. I have all the Pujols' though!).

2001 to 2007 Bowman Heritage

1951 to mid 1990's Topps Test Issues, Inserts, and misc. This includes sets that are too many to list.

1981 to 1993 Fleer misc This includes sets that are too many to list.

1983 to 1995 Donruss misc (except for 1992 DK Super Felix Jose which is super rare). This includes sets that are too many to list.

1947-66 Exhibits

1962 Exhibits Stat Back

1963 Exhibits Stat Back

1947 Bond Bread

1953 to 1955 Red Man

1952 Berk Ross

1961 to 1963 Post

1963 Jello

1970 to 1983 Kelloggs

1975 to 1979 Hostess

Here is my want list in the Topps test issues category (most of these are pretty rare). Whatever Topps misc/test issue set is not listed below, if it is in the SCD catalog, I think I have it.

1973 Topps Comic Joe Torre
1972 Topps Candy Lids - Brock, Gibson, Torre, Carlton (? not sure if Cards uni or Phillies?)
1970 Topps Candy Lids Rich Allen
1970 Topps Cloth Vic Davillio
1969 Topps 4-in-1 (all Cardinals except Brock WS and Pinson, which I have)
1968 Topps 3D Curt Flood
1968 Topps Plaks - Cepeda, McCarver, checklist
1968 Topps Discs - Cepeda
1967 Topps Standups - Cepeda and McCarver
1967 Topps Punchouts - Cepeda and McCarver
1967 Topps Discs Cepeda
1966 Topps Punchouts - Flood
1964 Topps Rookie Banquet Julian Javier
1964 Topps Tatoo - (I have Boyer, but need Flood, Groat, and the logo)
1961 Topps Dice Game - Stan Musial (I will never, ever have this one. Would cost over $30,000 if I even found one)
1955 Topps Hocus Focus - Moon
1955 Topps Stamps - all Cardinals
Old 09-03-2011, 11:36 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Marshall university alums, low grade T206...thinking abt a 1961 topps...
Old 09-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I have no focus. I collect all sorts of stuff. I favor obscure/rare issues; exhibit and other arcade cards; items relating to Burbank CA history, specifically Jim Jeffries materials; Joe Louis cards and premiums; Benny Leonard cards and premiums; Academy Awards tickets; Star Trek TOS autographed cards; 1976 Star Trek [Topps] materials; and so on. I've got probably 30-40 partial sets under way at any given time. I never seem to finish any of them but I am having fun.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-06-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Hugh

I am also focusing on HOF RC's, although I might narrow it down to HOF Pitchers to start. I'm always looking for bargains, so if anyone has a beat up Tom Seaver or Whitey Ford RC for sale - let me know!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 AM
M!ke S@il£r

I'm taking a crack at my first PSA graded set. I'm going to try for a PSA 5-7 1958 Topps set (maybe a master set). Basically, I plan on spending a ton of time and money to put together a product that nobody will want to buy when I'm finished.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Paul Carek

-- 1972 through 1980 Topps (my pack-opening years). About 30% done with '72; just a couple dozen cards short of the rest. Average condition is probably EX. I like having the actual, well-handled cards I collected as a kid, but will upgrade the real beaters.

-- 1952 Bowman. Currently 15 high numbers short of completing a solid VG-EX to EX set. Looking forward to meeting this longtime goal.

-- NY/SF Giants Retired Numbers.

-- Single cards of top-tier HOFers (T206 Cobb and Mathewson, '34 Goudey Foxx, '39 Play Ball DiMaggio, '54 Bowman Williams, etc.). I try to do the "type" thing here, and acquire examples from as many classic sets as possible.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Mike

I'm really trying to stay focused on Philadelphia Phillies pre-1990 all graded. So far I've lasted 6 months collecting one thing which is a record for me according to my wife. I'm around 100 cards so I have a long way to go but its been fun.
HOF RC
Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Brad

Like many on this thread, I try to focus and sometimes find it very hard (that's what she said).

When I'm at a card show, antique mall or just surfing eBay, I always find myself buying cards just because I like them. No harm in that, except that I end up with tons of cards that have no real rhyme or reason. Oh well.

Older sets I am actively working on:
-- 1954-55 Topps Hockey in low-mid grade
-- 1955 Topps All-American in high grade
-- 1960s-70s Topps oddball sets (I find these great to collect because the sets are usually small, the cards are relatively easy to find and they're usually inexpensive compared to the regular issue for that year).

Modern Sets:
-- 2000 Fleer Greats of the Game Autographs (about 50% done)
-- 2002 Donruss Diamond Kings (that I'm getting autographed one card at a time on my own - am about 60% done).

Misc.
-- Run of Harold Baines cards showing on top of unopened rak/cello Topps packs from 1981-89 (If you have any of these, please contact me!)
-- Athletes (baseball, basketball & football) in major Topps sets who played at Purdue University.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:49 AM
J@RR0D

I'm pretty proud of myself. I rented a table at a card show last weekend and tried to sell off a lot of stuff that's not in my focus. I sold lots of '56 Topps, a few PSA cards, all of my Ted Williams Topps cards, an '81 set, some autos, and vintage commons. Made a few hundred and decreased my inventory.

All I bought was some NM/MT raw '61 commons (to grade & resell) and got some '51 Bowmans for my set and '33 Goudeys in trade.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:50 PM

My goal right now is 1960-1978 sets.

The 1975 set is the first I bought in packs, but was more of a Wacky Packys fan back then. 1976 set is the first I bought hard core obsessed. As a photographer myself, I still love the photography in that set.

I have completed a 1972,1973,1975,1976 sets.
I'm working on a 1970 and 1971 sets- NM or so better.
I'd like to buy complete a 1977 and 1978 set, NM better.
The 1978 set is the first set I bought through Mail order- from Renata Gallaso, legendary dealer from Baseball Digest.

Back farther- my goal is to complete all the sets from the 60's.
I have 75% or better complete: 1960,1961,1963,1964,1966,1967
I need to work more on 1962,1965 and 1969.
I'm putting off to the end the 1968 set- my all time least favorite Topps set issued from 1951-1980.

Oddly, I haven't a single card from 1974. Probably will buy the set complete at some point.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Steve

Default Johnstons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilBraves View Post
Excellent thread. Very eclectic group here!

My focus is the Milwaukee Braves, especially the regional sets such as Johnston Cookies, Spic and Span and Lake to Lake Dairy. My 2 grails would be a 1960 Lake to Lake Aaron and a 1955 Aaron Johnston cookies.
Speaking of the Johnston Cookie cards (sorry, maybe should start a new thread), I have often wondered if other collectors found them - back in the years when they were sold, that is - in states beyond Wisconsin. It has puzzled me that some sources claim they were strictly a regional issue, whereas I bought the cookie packages in 1954 in upstate NY, so I know they got at least that far.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Steve

Default Escape through ephemera

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
As many of us are joking about our lack of focus, it just remindes me how much variety this hobby offers. There is always something to "work" on as our interests waiver or change. Just pick up a Standard Catalog of baseball cards and flip throught it, an incredible variety of cards to choose from!

Just reading this post amazes me at the different approaches and interests within our hobby. The best thing about it is it does help keep me young and forget about work and my life responsibilities for a short period of time everyday.

Happy collecting!
You're in good company there, Bill. During his lengthy presidency, Franklin Roosevelt spent many evenings alone poring over his extensive stamp collection. Imagine the work responsibilities he was able to put aside thanks to tiny scraps of paper that most people just discarded as waste.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:15 PM

Like others my problem is I have to many things to focus on. I guess it keeps my wallet thin at least.

1.) 1952-1973 Topps basball sets. A few are complete (53 and 65) and most are 85-95% complete in VG-EX condition. I hate high numbers.

2.) pre-war sets that I collect T205, T206 (50% complete), T207, 33/34 Goudey, playball sets, E90s, E93 and 1915 Cracker jack all in low grade.

3.) 1970s Topps basketball sets. Only need a few dozen more for the whole run.

4.) 1950s and 1960s football.

5.) Anything else that catches my eye.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:03 PM

Back in high school I started working on a signed 1957 set. Have 305 cards signed minus a bad Clemente that I thought was good when I got it.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 PM

Default My Collection

I have two main collections. In baseball I am working on getting complete regular Topps runs of Hall of Famers and trying to get 1 card of Hofers who did not have Topps cards. The only one of the ladder I have is a Carl Hubbell. Condition is not a issue for me at all goodness knows. In Football I am working on finding one card of each Hofer. I have 167 different football Hall of Famers, from Deion Sanders back to Jack Christenson. When my finances get better, I want to do a baseball collection where I make a list of the 300 most important most WW2 players and get 1 card of each player with the trick of each card must be a different set and none of the sets are Topps brand. Won't that be fun?
Old 09-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Steve

I began thirty years ago, intent on collecting every card from 1951, the year I first discovered them. After a while, branched out into all sets from the early '50's, slowly upgrading the lower grades to NMt. Since I'll never own the impossible big three from the 51 Current All-Stars, I guess I'll now settle for keeping my ex's lawyer from finding all my assets.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:21 AM
C0le Hibb@rd

I used to focus on HOF rookies but then I got really interested in pre-war.

So now I just collect anything that interests me, but it's usually high end stuff from HOFers. Such as what i have now- a T3 Cy Young, 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson, '33 Goudey Ruth, T206 Mathewson/Cy Young and a few others like e91 Wagner.

Since I'm a younger collector and can't afford really high end cards right now, I hope to acquire some big name cards like a 1933 Goudey lajoie, e107 Wagner or maybe even a baltimore News Ruth someday.

Successful BST deals with: Smanzari, Edwolf1963, Sean1125, scmavl, Runscott, jthorst75, EYECOLLECTVINTAGE
Old 09-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Jake Dahl

1. 1960 Topps PSA- I always wanted to do a vintage baseball set and was unsure which one but 1960 topps was the coolest looking and the btightness and affordability I love it very much. The Grades dont matter to me much just want to complete the set I have 4/572 so yea just started.

2. 1956 Elvis Presley set. This set has been hounding me for a year now, I am narrowing down on this one with only 66 cards in the set it should be easy to track them down. I am doing the set in raw ungraded, with nice centering, nice color, and nice front and back. I have 3/66 so far.

3. PSA Yankees/Yankees Memorabilia- I always loved the New York Yankees, the history, the players, the uniforms, the legends that shaped baseball to what it is today. I collect vintage Yankees players 1973 and before some up to 1980 but very picky on those. I am looking for autographs, stadium pins, stadim pins with ribbon, yearbooks, tickets, programs both world series and regular season games, magazines of Yankees on cover. So far the memorabilia has been off since its hard to locate and being pretty expensive I try to get what I can. The cards I have been getting more and trying to get the bigger names when I can. This is one I wanna expand and get more of.

HOFers/HOF memorabilia- pretty much the same as the Yankees one above but the baseball hofers. rookies, autographs, pretty looking for mostly anything I can get my hands on.

commons from major sets- I don't have alot of money for the hobby so I try and get commons from sets like goudey, tobacco issues, candy/caramel issues, play ball, diamond stars etc. the list goes on.

thats really my collecting focus

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia

Last edited by HOF Yankees; 09-18-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Matt Miller

Default Great Thread

Its a lot of fun reading through these replies and learning a little something about everyone's collecting focus. As for myself, I am focused on the following:

1. Post WAR HOF RC's-very high end grades.

2. Post WAR HOF RC's Auto'd in high end grades.

3. Unopened Cello and Rack Packs from the 70's and 80's. I love 80's graded cello packs with rookies/stars on top. I.E. Gwynn, Ripken, Ryan, Clemens, etc.....
Old 09-22-2011, 07:48 PM
J.O.N

I am a 1909 Pirates fan. I would consider items that pertain to anything to do with that season.

I am helping my son collect all of the 1972 topps Pirates.

My daughter and I are working on the 1961 Topps pirates set.

I also love Bill Mazeroski stuff. I have met him a few times and he is from my home town. He is a big hero in those parts.

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Erik

I like to collect any Topps Baseball cards of Ron Santo and Billy Williams, specifically from the 1960's to early 1970's as they were my favorite childhood players. I also like collecting other Topps star cards that catch my interest, specifically from the 1960's.

Also, I am working on the 1961, 1964 and 1965 Topps All-Star Rookie Trophy card sub sets and recently completed the 1967 Topps All-Star Rookie Trophy cards.

I am five cards away from completing the 1967 Topps Football Set. I loved the AFL and '67 is the year of my birth.

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 01-06-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Updated list.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Bob F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
Also, I am working on the 1964, 1965 and 1967 Topps All-Star Rookie Trophy card sub sets.
Welcome to the boards Erik!

I love the '67s, and the All-Star Rookie cards are definitely some of my favorite poses!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Robert

Default 1958 Topps

For me its the 1958 Topps Baseball set. Not trying to build a high grade set so mine is all over the boards..........from SGC 20 to SGC 92.

Im working on the yellow varations at this point and hope to complete this set before i die.....just sayin

Here are a few of my favorites from my set

Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 12-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsdaddy View Post
I am not as an advanced collector as many on here.

I like to collect any 1960's Topps Baseball cards of Ron Santo and Billy Williams. I will eventually start into the 1970's of these two favorite players as well as work on collecting Topps cards of Dick Allen.

Also, I am working on the 1964, 1965 and 1967 Topps All-Star Rookie Trophy card sub sets. I will eventually start on 1961 and 1963 trophy cards in the future.

I am five cards away from completing the 1967 Topps Football Set. I loved the AFL and '67 is the year of my birth.
That's the beauty of this hobby Erik: it all really is in the eye of the beholder. Anyone's collecting interest is just as valid and valuable as anyone else's, no matter the amount of money or time invested. I was a Cub fan for many years and loved Santo, Banks and Williams - biggest injustice in pro sports that those guys never reached the promised land, but makes their cards even more desireable, in my opinion. Appears that you were born the year of the AFL/NFL merger - how did you happen to love that league?