NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Net54baseball id "Sportscollector"

I have strong reason to believe our member Sportscollector is not John Perez, as evidenced by a few of our members telling me, he said he is someone else. I have some other very damning information but it still needs to be vetted a little more. I would say that if you are doing any deals with him be very careful. For registering with a fictitious name he is banned. Please be aware.....

Last edited by Leon; 05-28-2013 at 10:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Thanks Leon. I had exchanged a few PMs with him about his ungraded cards he had offered and was not comfortable with where the PM's went nor the images he provided, for that matter. Anyway, hope it gets worked out.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 PM
Jeff P0tter

I made a purchase from him, and just sent you a PM Leon.
Best,
Jeff
Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 AM
pete ullman

I purchased a 34 goudey WWG Ruth from him...despite the confusion over names and such the transaction went smoothly...hopefully the card will grade as agreed upon...it appears real and unaltered to me?!?!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goudeyruthfr065.jpg (78.9 KB, 1402 views)

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-29-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I received a polite email from "John". His deals might be fine but there are also some things that don't add up. It is still being looked into. Just be very careful. There was a conversation that was relayed to me, second hand, but it was not all good. I am not saying deals that have been done are bad....Hopefully it turns out ok and I will update this thread today. If it turns out my info is not correct I will apologize and we will move on. But if anyone saw the email I received, and had the conversations I have had, you would give pause. Again, hopefully it will be ok. ....thanks....
Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I have asked to have a conversation with this person. We will see if he accepts. After that I will have more of an idea of what is going on. I got an update from the other board member this morning and the identity thing is puzzling, to say the least.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:41 AM

He offered these cards to me a couple months before he registered on these forums... He pulled the same ordeal "I will guarantee this grade or refund", and the price was pretty much VCP for the grade... Never made a deal though. I even asked for some photos of his graded cards intent on purchasing two of them which he never provided me after a week of asking and probably 8 or 10 messages repeating my e-mail which he asked for each time...

Last edited by Sean1125; 05-29-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Sean Brennan

That ruth looks nice

Last edited by milkit1; 05-29-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Rob Ruddy

Default Ruth Goudey

I hope the Ruth card turns out well for you. It looks great from here!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Hopefully the $6500+ Tinker UZIT transaction went smooth.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post
Hopefully the $6500+ Tinker UZIT transaction went smooth.
I don't know what is going on yet but anytime someone tells me they didn't know they had to register with a real, correct name, I am suspicious. That's just the moderator in me . I have heard from several people that did transactions with this person and they went alright. But something ain't right, that is for sure. Like I say, a nice long conversation should clear it up....and I will give an update if that happens. LL
Old 05-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I just got off the phone with the Secret Service. There are allegedly (I was just told) multiple victims of this guy.....need I say more?
Old 05-29-2013, 12:14 PM
pete ullman

oh sh$t!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Classic long con...sell a few legit...then rip off on the higher $$$...hope it works out though
Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

OMFG! Perma ban
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Jeff P0tter

Thoughts then for those of us who transacted with him?
Best,
Jeff
Old 05-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
Thoughts then for those of us who transacted with him?
Best,
Jeff
I have had quite a few PMs and emails saying transactions this person did with them were fine. I can't say about ones already done. It seems like a lot were good and many, I have no specifics on, were not so good.....If anyone is in the middle of a deal, and nothing has been exchanged yet, I would strongly recommend not doing it. If what I was told is true, and I have to believe it is, this guy might not be able to finish deals pretty soon.....just sayin'.....
Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Jeff P0tter

Are we talking more long con issues where he doesn't deliver after payment and disappears, or that his previous victims cards he is now selling to us...meaning that they are stolen.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I just got off the phone with the Secret Service. There are allegedly (I was just told) multiple victims of this guy.....need I say more?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
Are we talking more long con issues where he doesn't deliver after payment and disappears, or that his previous victims cards he is now selling to us...meaning that they are stolen.
I can't say any specifics as I don't know. I asked the agent if there were victims. She said there are and was emphatic about it. That is all I needed to know, and I also know that it is an ongoing investigation. If anyone has been scammed, or thinks they have, you can PM me and I will give you the agents name and number to call.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:02 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

And I thought I was bad by paying 99% of the time for items I purchase...had to say it Leon!! (FYI I know in reality this is no joking matter)

Ever since I saw him offer the Uzit card I had a gut felling this guy was trying to draw people in with smaller purchases first by doing good business then turning the table on them when it came to higher priced cards...but who would have believed me anyway (I was actually going to say it here but then I feared a all out war against me if it had not been true). The only deal I have done here...me and the seller agreed to do it threw Ebay for both our safety.

I would be very careful for those who gave their home address to this guy who knows who this guys knows...maybe robbers looking to do home break ins...just saying!! Gaining peoples trust here first to find out their collecting habits and such things to then later plan a robbery on them.

Post # 5

Last edited by Zone91; 05-29-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Todd Schultz

Sorry to hear this but am puzzled by why the Secret Service would get involved. It was my understanding that their focus, to the extent they investigate crime, was countertfeiting, although they sometimes get involved in cases of massive fraud. FBI and others I could more readily understand, even the Postmaster General, but a division of Homeland Security? Strange IMO.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:50 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
This is the same guy that cried "FRAUF" in this thread...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=168643
Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Sorry to hear this but am puzzled by why the Secret Service would get involved. It was my understanding that their focus, to the extent they investigate crime, was countertfeiting, although they sometimes get involved in cases of massive fraud. FBI and others I could more readily understand, even the Postmaster General, but a division of Homeland Security? Strange IMO.

I am guessing there is counterfeiting involved, from what I have heard, and massive fraud. I too was surprised it was the SS....but it is. I have already given the contact info to one board member....I am not making it up....
Old 05-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Da.n Pin.gree

Leon, thanks for the PM last night. I was suspicious of this guy when his N54 name didn't match his email name, and he took over a week to send me any pics. Decided not to go through with the 1957 Topps Frank Robinson deal. You saved me a major headache with paypal. Thank you.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:36 PM
pete ullman

In my transaction with this guy...the negotiations went rather smoothly...I thought it was odd that his net54 name didn't match the name he was using in correspondence...and I actually asked him what his name was. He gave me a name claiming john was his dad...yet his name is a very long middle eastern sounding name...once I paid him he took 2 days to send the card...which scared me a little.

I DID receive the card...which he sent express mail.

For the life of me the card looks totally real...I've owned goudeys but never 34 wwg. I never even considered that maybe he was selling stolen goods.

Card has just been overnighted to sgc...so we shall know if it's real in a few days.

pete

ps thanks Leon for the correspondences

Last edited by ullmandds; 05-29-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:37 PM
And.rew C0rs0

Leon, did the Secret Service contact you because of the posts on this board? Are they monitoring his user names and internet boards?

This is the same guy who was trying to out another guy who sold him a 1981 Topps FB case in a 1984 box...he wrote that post like he was an innocent victim. Man, I'm naive about who is scamming whom in this whole thing. You got accused scammers claiming other people are scamming him...

This is just an innocent question from a relative neophyte. It seems there has been an explosion recently in accusations / stories about baseball card scams. Is this just part of any business that deals in lucrative commodities or would long-timers say the recent threads and arguments about scams, bad deals, bad sellers, etc. are an abberation.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc2q View Post
Leon, did the Secret Service contact you because of the posts on this board? Are they monitoring his user names and internet boards?

This is the same guy who was trying to out another guy who sold him a 1981 Topps FB case in a 1984 box...he wrote that post like he was an innocent victim. Man, I'm naive about who is scamming whom in this whole thing. You got accused scammers claiming other people are scamming him...

This is just an innocent question from a relative neophyte. It seems there has been an explosion recently in accusations / stories about baseball card scams. Is this just part of any business that deals in lucrative commodities or would long-timers say the recent threads and arguments about scams, bad deals, bad sellers, etc. are an abberation.
Whenever there's enough money in it that sort of person will also be there. Sometimes even if there's only a little money. That box he griped about was probably originally from a dealer who pulled most of the good packs and then resold the box full of packs that wouldn't have stars, and for sure none showing. So a small time thing- although if someone did enough of that there'd be some nice profit.

The first fake card I bought was in 1978. Cost all of $2.

Steve B
Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

He is raresportscardsareus on eBay. I was looking at his feedback this morning. When I went to view it again just a minute ago, he's been NARU'd. Now, every time I try to click on one of his transactions I get a message that says, "This listing has been removed." I wonder if he was scamming people on eBay too?
Old 05-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Da.n Pin.gree

This is the same Frank Robinson card he's been trying to sell to me on N54. So, not sure if this is his account or somebody he tried to use to consign it. It didn't stay up on eBay more than 24 hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-TOPPS-F...p2047675.l2557

John Perez is his name here. Den Prak was his name on the email he sent me with the pics. So John being his dad is unlikely. Trying to get quick hits on this card in multiple channels for short spurts is also suspicious to me. He said he also sold a 71 Munson PSA 9 on N54, so hopefully Leon has been in contact with that person as well.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Jake

So you're saying this may not have been his Grandfather's? Say it ain't so.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169208

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 05-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Da.n Pin.gree

Yeah, the grandfather is usually a dead giveaway. I'm immediately dismissive of such, even though I'm sure in some cases it is in fact the truth. Still, that line has been used by far too many scammers.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Leon,

Have you spoken with him yet? He's been lurking on the board, but has yet to respond to this thread. His silence speaks volumes.

r/
Frank
Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Da.n Pin.gree

How would he be able to respond? I thought he was banned?
Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdan View Post
How would he be able to respond? I thought he was banned?
If he were banned, it would say "Banned" under his user name. He last logged in at 4:52pm today. I guess he is banned from the BST, but not banned here.

r/
Frank
Old 05-29-2013, 04:17 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderdan View Post
I thought he was banned?
That's what I thought too but, Frank is right, it does not say "Banned" under his username.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Shawn England

I know this will be some very informative information......

I just did a Google Translate for "Den Prak" - it came up as Swedish meaning "The Practical" .... Again, very useful & informative information
Old 05-29-2013, 05:19 PM

Wow... I am very glad I didn't end up buying some of the cards... I thought it was odd he offered some to me for $2500-$3000 less than he claimed to have sold them for later... Will watch for updates and how this plays out...
Old 05-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by T's please View Post
If he were banned, it would say "Banned" under his user name. He last logged in at 4:52pm today. I guess he is banned from the BST, but not banned here.

r/
Frank
Since I had set his user name to his supposedly real name, John Perez, and it was admin controlled, it didn't have banned under his name. I just took that away and now it does say banned. He is banned from the whole board. I will have to look into how he was logged in as I see that too.
On top of that I just spoke with him. He tried to say that another board member was impersonating the Secret Service to me. I played along for several minutes then told him I was the one who called the secret service and spoke with them. Then he started talking about something else. He says all of his deals on this board were good and as far as I know they are, and have been. That doesn't alleviate the bigger issue of what the agent told me. I told him he should call the California division of the Secret Service tomorrow and get to the bottom of it. I went onto tell him that if his name gets cleared then he can come back. Unlike most scammers he was polite and cordial during our whole conversation. I dunno....but he won't be back on the board until I speak with the authorities and he has been cleared of wrongdoing in the hobby. I really don't see that happening but who knows.....
Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

I do not mean to be disrespectful Leon but so seems most known serial killers are polite to....it is a fact most sociopaths are polite and appear to be normal that is how they gain peoples confidence to then use them or kill them!!!

They JUST love manipulating people and making them think they are normal people....don't be fouled Leon!!! I may be known as the 99%er on here but it is the 1% that are the most dangerous in our societies!!! He is probably just waiting to make a big score on someone here then he will go into hiding....leaving someone here in deep crap!!!

Post # 7

Last edited by Zone91; 05-29-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM

This guy was a member at sportscollectors.net under the name "sportscollecter" and caused a s$^t storm over there and was banned subsequently. His name was "Sammy" though.

Last edited by oldirtyfishkilla; 05-29-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Just a quick related note, i dont have my real name in my bio (net54 name) either, I told leon what my name is when he called me, but I have never really thought about it.

I can always update my bio, i guess.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:51 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Wow. Just....wow.

I don't know what else to say but thank you for being on top of this, Leon.

There is a special circle in hell for people like this guy.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
pete ullman

On the urging of a fellow board member...I just attempted to open a dispute with paypal...but it appears as I am screwed as the invoice Den sent me was for an instant transfer...not goods and/or services...and apparently this cannot be disputed.

Does anyone know if I have any recourse?

Still waiting for response from SGC BTW!?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Instant transfer

How did you fund the transfer? If by CC you could have some rights with the CC company.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Was it funds from a linked bank account or credit card? If credit card...you might have some recourse with the cc company.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:04 PM
pete ullman

unfortunately...it was through my bank acct?!?!!?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:06 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Bank

Since it "could" be fraud, call the bank.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

This whole thing is going to get a bit bigger. My understanding is that this is a ring of scammers. I am told by a reliable source that Den was arrested 2 days ago and charged with 4 felony counts of fraud. My understanding is he is a pawn, along with others, in the scheme and the mastermind is now making himself out to be Den. Den supposedly is currently residing in a San Diego jail. I haven't confirmed it yet. Also, I am told this could get into 7 figure fraud territory, including thousand(s) of counterfeit cards. I do think the deals done recently on the board are going to be ok (not positive).....though there could be an alteration here or there. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Of course this person using Den's name has a Magic Jack phone which can't be traced. He is believed to be in Mexico going back and forth across the border into California. I haven't confirmed any of this but this is what I am being told.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 PM
K1rk K3ith

Default Jail

Leon you are correct.

http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wijDet...yW3yhH9cKrU%3d

PERSONAL INFORMATION

Booking Nbr: 13736859 Last Name: PRAKONEKHAM First Name: DENPHET
Middle Name: Sex: M Race/Ethnicity: O
Date of Birth: 5/4/1964 Age: 49 Hair: BLK
Eyes: BRO Height: 5' 06" Weight: 120

HOUSING LOCATION

Facility: San Diego Central Jail Area/Housing Unit: 2/BKG