NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2008, 04:52 AM
Administrator

Default old judge rarity.... or not

Posted By: Eric

Seeing a Myron Allen (kansas city) card come up on ebay overnight and end with a buy it now made me pose the question of... is this a rarity and if so how rare?

The one on ebay was the one and only that PSA has graded. SGC has graded just two of them. Before this one from last night I've never really see one come up for sale in as long as I can remember.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

In my opinion, nothing out of the ordinary

Old 11-25-2008, 05:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

Jay thanks for the quick response.

Isn't it crazy how we equate PSA/SGC population reports to the rarity of a card? There needs to be a public registry of raw cards to account for peoples raw populations!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JudgeDred2

When it comes to Old Judge cards the population reports of PSA aren't really indicative of anything. You'll find a higher concentration of HOF players encapsulated, does that mean all the "nobody" players are rare or scarce. I'm willing to go out on a limb here and guess that most Old Judge cards are not encapsulated. If people are paying more for Old Judge cards based on the population reports then they are making uninformed purchases. The grading companies only provide the name of the player. They don't break down the cards by pose or team. It's kind of like the T206 cards. The grading companies really never took the time to break down the backs of the cards by manufacturer or factory number.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I cannot wait for the book just to be sure that the Phillies I have marked as difficult (and there are several) are truly as hard as I think they are. I also have several Phillies that seem to be super easy as well. Can't wait!!

Joshua

Old 11-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

I doubt the sellers hype over population reports had anything to do with the price. I would bet that the buyer has no interest in the slab and just needed the fairly rare common for their set or collection.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:09 AM
Administrator

Rhys--The point is it is not a fairly rare card. It is a card of average scarcity in not very nice condition. The BIN price, in my opinion, was about $400 too high.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 AM
Administrator

I believe you Jay. I was just making the point that I doubt the buyer got got up in the 1 of 1 PSA Population report thing. A pretty tough MqQuaid umpire card (probably of about the same scarcity) that I have needed for a while just sold on ebay for about $550 and it was pretty nice so you are correct this it was too much money for this card.

Can't wait for the Old Judge book!

Rhys

Old 11-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Rhys:

The McQuaid wasn't that nice! wink.gif

Kevin

Old 11-26-2008, 08:54 AM
Administrator

It was nice enough for me, even though someone outbid me!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Umpire-McQuaid is a very scarce card